Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Chucks predicament is extra cool because he can make all the dumbass twitter accounts he wants but he can't do the one thing he wants to do with them: make chuck c johnson famous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
He should just start a conservative twitter, like reaganbook.

He could call it "bitter" and allow 1488 characters per post.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There was a Stand Up Comedy thread around here for a while but I can't find it. I think it died. They discussed a lot of this stuff and actually turned me on to some comedians I'd never heard of. If we can find it again I think it'd make for an interesting discussion. I'm not saying the Seinfeld thing is a derail because I think it's relevant to this thread but I wish I could find it.

Related: what's been weird is watching how FOX and company have handled the Cosby allegations. On one hand, he's black but he's also "one of the good ones" and works clean. Normally, "black guy raping white women" would be a story they'd jump on and beat to death but Bill's been telling young blacks to pull up their pants and stuff for years so there doesn't seem to be any way to spin into their agenda.

Also, Sean Hannity's "Let Freedom Ring" or "reign" or whatever it's called is pretty awful opening music but I get more pissed off at Rush using The Pretenders' "Back to Ohio" or Prince's "Sign O the Times" than I do with the cheesy stuff because I'm pretty that Prince and Chrissy Hynde loathe Rush loving Limbaugh and he's ruining these songs. "Back to Ohio" is probably better known as "Rush Limbaugh Theme" than a Pretenders song and that's gotta suck.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Nothing from what I can tell.

The weird thing to me is that Jerry Seinfeld was never edgy or offensive by an measure and went out of his way not work blue. I've seen him a couple of times and I'm not sure what's in his act that he thinks he can't use or might be too much for college audiences.

I love edgy and offensive comedy, so long as it's funny. I love Sam Kinison, Eddie Murphy and even think Dice is OK because, to me, he's lampooning a character/stereotype. A lot of this material hasn't aged too well, particularly the human being and AIDS jokes, and admittedly it's almost shocking to listen to. I love Jim Jeffries, Bill Burr, Lewis Black, Richard Pryor, Howard Stern, Chris Rock, Lisa Lampinelli, Bill Hicks, Sarah Silverman etc. even though they often cross a line.

But what the gently caress is Seinfeld of all people on about regarding a PC crowd? I can't remember a single offensive or edgy bit he ever did. Someone said his show was "edgy for the time". No it wasn't. They did an episode on jacking off but that's about it. The Simpsons, Married With Children and even South Park were considered far more provacative and racy and the first two predate Seinfeld. All in the Family and NYPD Blue caught more poo poo than Seinfeld ever did. I can't think of a cleaner and less blue comedian than Jerry loving Seinfeld.

Because, again, it is not about actually being edgy. People have talked more about seinfeld in the last week than in the last 5 years combined. You complain about the PC police and you will get coverage.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BiggerBoat posted:

I love edgy and offensive comedy, so long as it's funny. I love Sam Kinison, Eddie Murphy and even think Dice is OK because, to me, he's lampooning a character/stereotype. A lot of this material hasn't aged too well, particularly the human being and AIDS jokes, and admittedly it's almost shocking to listen to. I love Jim Jeffries, Bill Burr, Lewis Black, Richard Pryor, Howard Stern, Chris Rock, Lisa Lampinelli, Bill Hicks, Sarah Silverman etc. even though they often cross a line.

Edgy comedians inherently cross lines, and if they are funny they get huge amounts of leeway with all kinds of people. Carlin said a ton of poo poo right on the edge and a couple times crossed over into saying something stupid and just offensive, but he gets away with it because unless you only saw the offensive bit, you can understand the greater point. Edgy can be great because they may address poo poo no one else is, and are all the funnier for it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I legitimately haven't seen it, is there are 'greater point' to the "black people and niggers" bit?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, Sean Hannity's "Let Freedom Ring" or "reign" or whatever it's called is pretty awful opening music but I get more pissed off at Rush using The Pretenders' "Back to Ohio" or Prince's "Sign O the Times" than I do with the cheesy stuff because I'm pretty that Prince and Chrissy Hynde loathe Rush loving Limbaugh and he's ruining these songs. "Back to Ohio" is probably better known as "Rush Limbaugh Theme" than a Pretenders song and that's gotta suck.

'Back to Ohio" is about my hometown and about a mall I used to frequent as a kid.

Kind of odd in retrospect.

I don't know, I'm a sucker for really well done offensive/dark jokes...as long as they're like I said...well done. Don't half rear end it. "AddaDickToMe" is not funny, it's lazy. Calling someone a "human being" is also lazy.

Don Rickles, Patrice O'Neal and a few others are examples of people who are un "PC" as hell, but are just at a different level of being offensively funny. I can't quite explain it. I also think there's a difference between someone telling a joke and it being exactly that, and someone telling you a racist/sexist comment disguised as one.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
I'd like to mention that until about three hours ago I was accidentally conflating Ray Romano and Jerry Seinfeld as an example of how relevant Seinfeld is in the modern zeitgeist.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Chuck Johnson tried to get back on twitter and was banned

8 Suspensions

He also took a picture of him in front of the Twitter HQ

The best part about all of this is that the only thing that kept him alive was twitter and now he can never get it back and anytime he tries to do it, he gets suspended even quicker.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/44716_Ouch!_Chuck_Johnsons_Latest_Attempt_to_Sneak_Back_Onto_Twitter_Is_Denied

This is like a photo of a guy stalking his ex girlfriend because he really is the loser she thought he was.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Aliquid posted:

I legitimately haven't seen it, is there are 'greater point' to the "black people and niggers" bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUvdXxhLPa8

I am including this in a case where he crossed the line and ended up just offending people which harms his point. However he explicitly calls out people as racists who use those words. Unless you want to be obtuse, he is in no way actually claiming white people should go around spouting off racial slurs. Especially when he devoted far, far more time to running down and mocking rich white conservative people then he ever did other racial groups. In fact, I cannot recall a time where he actually mocked other races or used them as the butt of a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcr8dm9Prkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4w7H48tBS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w15OS2PdCKo

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

WoodrowSkillson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUvdXxhLPa8

I am including this in a case where he crossed the line and ended up just offending people which harms his point. However he explicitly calls out people as racists who use those words. Unless you want to be obtuse, he is in no way actually claiming white people should go around spouting off racial slurs. Especially when he devoted far, far more time to running down and mocking rich white conservative people then he ever did other racial groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcr8dm9Prkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4w7H48tBS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w15OS2PdCKo

I've always thought of Carlin and Dan Savage as kind of related. Both are obviously making an honest attempt to grapple with issues, occasionally loving up, getting in over their head, but really trying and laying it out there honestly. Comedy obviously meant more to Carlin than just a career or a paycheck or a way to vent, he actually wanted to get people to think differently, challenge thinking.

People like Andrew Dice Clay, to me, who are doing a 'parody' that isn't seen as parody by an enormous number of his 'fans', are a totally different thing. They are using their act as a career, they're not actually trying to do anything interesting with it, they just came up with a schtick and are riding it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
People talking anout Jerry's act are missing the point. He got soured on THE SKELETON ARMY after people pointed out his comedians-in-cars show is almost exclusively white guys and he had no good answer, not because anything he said was edgy.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

I've always thought of Carlin and Dan Savage as kind of related. Both are obviously making an honest attempt to grapple with issues, occasionally loving up, getting in over their head, but really trying and laying it out there honestly. Comedy obviously meant more to Carlin than just a career or a paycheck or a way to vent, he actually wanted to get people to think differently, challenge thinking.

People like Andrew Dice Clay, to me, who are doing a 'parody' that isn't seen as parody by an enormous number of his 'fans', are a totally different thing. They are using their act as a career, they're not actually trying to do anything interesting with it, they just came up with a schtick and are riding it.

Unless you are only exposed a very small amount of Carlin, there is no way you can consider him a racist (edit: i should probably say "hates blacks" instead of racist since some of the poo poo he says probably qualifies, even if he did not intend it too). He adamantly and at length castigates the rich and powerful white men who run america by encouraging racial hatreds to keep people from focusing on them as the true enemy.

I took the first bit about racial slurs to mean that Carlin feels that by banning words, you are only helping racists disguise themselves and blend in. See the recent phenomena of the word thug being used as a stand in for friend of the family by white people saying horrifically racist poo poo. He thinks altering language does not deter racists and only serves whites by letting them still be racist and not be shamed for it.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 11, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Can we start a charity to punch Hannity

quote:

When Hannity said Obama rushed to judgment in the Martin case, Guster bewilderedly asked, “You’re saying George Zimmerman was right?” Hannity said, “Absolutely.”

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/youre-saying-george-zimmerman-was-right-hannity-panel-explodes/

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Unless you are only exposed a very small amount of Carlin, there is no way you can consider him a racist (edit: i should probably say "hates blacks" instead of racist since some of the poo poo he says probably qualifies, even if he did not intend it too). He adamantly and at length castigates the rich and powerful white men who run america by encouraging racial hatreds to keep people from focusing on them as the true enemy.

I took the first bit about racial slurs to mean that Carlin feels that by banning words, you are only helping racists disguise themselves and blend in. See the recent phenomena of the word thug being used as a stand in for friend of the family by white people saying horrifically racist poo poo. He thinks altering language does not deter racists and only serves whites by letting them still be racist and not be shamed for it.

Likewise, Dan Savage has his column titled "Dear human being" for the first part of his career in an attempt to engage with the word and challenge the assumption that it was going to insult him or degrade him in any way to take on that label. Then, after a long time, he dropped it because he felt like the utility of that exercise was past. There's a similar concern with and thinking about the use of language.

To tie this back into right-wing media, the code-words that are used--thug, urban, uneducated, poverty-stricken, gangbanger, hoodie--aren't real descriptions. They're not meant to actually describe real attributes of those people. Racist assholes call Jay Z an 'uneducated thug', but that description doesn't really work to describe him at all. It describes where he came from, not what he is. Black people, in the right-wing media world, can never leave behind their origins except through becoming conservatives.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Sir Tonk posted:

He should just start a conservative twitter, like reaganbook.

He could call it "bitter" and allow 1488 characters per post.

C'mon, it'd be called (floor)Shitter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Isn't the paradox there though that racial slurs aren't inherently shameful? They can be normalized in vernacular just as much as the "dogwhistles" of today are.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A conservative told me women call each other sluts and bitches and whore all the time, so why can't I use it? They get ladies night at the bars!

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Chuck Johnson tried to get back on twitter and was banned

8 Suspensions

He also took a picture of him in front of the Twitter HQ

The best part about all of this is that the only thing that kept him alive was twitter and now he can never get it back and anytime he tries to do it, he gets suspended even quicker.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/44716_Ouch!_Chuck_Johnsons_Latest_Attempt_to_Sneak_Back_Onto_Twitter_Is_Denied

Dressed like a typical San Francisco techie (I.e doesn't know how to dress himself in properly fitting clothes).

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

Isn't the paradox there though that racial slurs aren't inherently shameful? They can be normalized in vernacular just as much as the "dogwhistles" of today are.

I'm not the one making the argument and honestly i do not know the right answer. I can see his point and its not one born of "its ok to say the n word a lot!" He has extended pieces on his dislike of euphemistic language and i think this falls under that umbrella for him.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
He just looks like a retarded dog. Dude is living the dream of a high school boy that was picked on and never grew up.

It's like if Tom Hanks just acted like a dick the whole time in Big and never learned any lessons.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

C'mon, it'd be called (floor)Shitter.

I was trying to be inclusive.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 11, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
e, dp

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Nonsense posted:

A conservative told me women call each other sluts and bitches and whore all the time, so why can't I use it? They get ladies night at the bars!

Ta-Nehisi Coates put it well recently.

"You may call your wife 'baby' or 'honey.' When I meet you and your wife I will not address her as 'baby' or 'honey.' There's a magazine out called 'Heeb.' I do not assume that that gives me the right to call Jewish people 'heebs.'"

"Why can't I use it?" You just can't. Deal with it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Rhesus Pieces posted:

"You may call your wife 'baby' or 'honey.' When I meet you and your wife I will not address her as 'baby' or 'honey.' There's a magazine out called 'Heeb.' I do not assume that that gives me the right to call Jewish people 'heebs.'"

I can't remember the last time I encountered someone in real life who was raging about why they can't say certain words, but the next time it happens I'm going to try to remember to ask them why they want to say those words in the first place. "Why do you want to use these slurs?"

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They can use it. They 100% have the right to use offensive language. They just don't like that everyone else has the right to tell them to go gently caress themselves when they do. People complaining about political correctness are cowards who can't stand free speech.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Leofish posted:

I can't remember the last time I encountered someone in real life who was raging about why they can't say certain words, but the next time it happens I'm going to try to remember to ask them why they want to say those words in the first place. "Why do you want to use these slurs?"

"Because it helps me differentiate the good _____ from the bad _____."

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Wales Grey posted:

I'd like to mention that until about three hours ago I was accidentally conflating Ray Romano and Jerry Seinfeld as an example of how relevant Seinfeld is in the modern zeitgeist.

gently caress Ray Romano and his whiny manbaby rear end. I've never seen his act, but his show was loving terrible. Seinfeld as a show I enjoyed, at least even if his comedy was bland as babyfood.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Seinfeld was a product of Larry David's excellent writing not Jerry Seinfeld's comedy bits.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Leofish posted:

Saying some of those words are one of the few things that can totally ruin you. They think those words sometimes and there's always the fear it will sneak out at the wrong time. That's what scares the poo poo out of most of those people

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKlDBi0cyIA

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Good Citizen posted:

Saying some of those words are one of the few things that can totally ruin you. They think those words sometimes and there's always the fear it will sneak out at the wrong time. That's what scares the poo poo out of most of those people

I'm really not trying to be smug or whatever but I legitimately can't imagine a time in my life I've ever had a fear of accidentally calling someone a friend of the family or something. Like, I guess when I first learned the name of the country Niger I may have had a little 'wait what' moment?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm really not trying to be smug or whatever but I legitimately can't imagine a time in my life I've ever had a fear of accidentally calling someone a friend of the family or something. Like, I guess when I first learned the name of the country Niger I may have had a little 'wait what' moment?

You went to a tamer middle school than me

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Reading that makes me think "what sort of apartheid hell was your middle school" but without knowing more details I really shouldn't be making any assumptions or judgements. :shrug:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ironically, the current state of race relations between minorities and the GOP.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

People talking anout Jerry's act are missing the point. He got soured on THE SKELETON ARMY after people pointed out his comedians-in-cars show is almost exclusively white guys and he had no good answer, not because anything he said was edgy.

"Only three of the last nine guests have been white guys" isn't a good answer? :confused:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

PerniciousKnid posted:

"Only three of the last nine guests have been white guys" isn't a good answer? :confused:

I didn't follow it long I just recall his shots back looking dangerously close to some race realist poo poo and being sad. I'd love to hear I was remembering wrong on this one.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Twitter only has one way to save their revenue.

Bring back ChuckCJohnson!

#JeSuisCuckCJonhson

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

beatlegs posted:

I think Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Colin Quinn, Kevin James, David Spade, and maybe a few lesser knowns like Nick DiPaolo all just sort of gravitated toward each other while playing golf at swank SoCal country clubs and formed a "Bitter And Old Conservative Comedians Society" where they have officially decreed that young people suck and don't appreciate comedy anymore because liberals have ruined everything.

Colin Quinn straight up disagreed with Seinfeld on FoxNews of all places yesterday morning.

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/10/col...dium=socialflow

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I didn't follow it long I just recall his shots back looking dangerously close to some race realist poo poo and being sad. I'd love to hear I was remembering wrong on this one.

He joked about how asinine it is to demand that every comedy show include the entire rainbow of humanity and the interviewer was visibly scared to press the issue, shaking, shuffling his notes. Triggered by the oppressive Seinfeld's microaggressions, undoubtedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

http://newsbusters.org/non-journalists/jerry-seinfeld

Jerry is simply a tool.