Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Terper posted:

You know despite actually taking place in Japan, the characters have never looked particularly asian to me. Well here they do.

This is kind of a thing with anime character designs in general. No one seems to bring up the fact that Sailor Moon has blue eyes and blonde hair despite supposedly being japanese. It was also kind of a mindfuck to see the cast of FF7 suddenly have asian features when that terrible CG movie came out. I guess Cloud just uses a lot of hair products, and has contact lenses.

Draile posted:

Layton vs. Wright is a better game if you stop playing at the conclusion of chapter 4. Sorry Maya.

Yeah, that game does not stick the landing at all. Although at least the extra episodes made up for it somewhat.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You tend to project your own race onto simple drawings I guess.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh my goodness. :allears:
Edgeworth asks Kay for some evidence, Kay presents her badge.

mabels big day posted:

That's because AAI2 kicks loving rear end

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is emulation and a rom the only way to play the translated AAI2 right now?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Radish posted:

Is emulation and a rom the only way to play the translated AAI2 right now?

You could get a flashcart. There is no legal way to play AAI2 in English right now, if that's what you're asking.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think you can import it to a flash card and play it properly on a DS as well, but you'd still need a ROM for that

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

You could get a flashcart. There is no legal way to play AAI2 in English right now, if that's what you're asking.

Yeah gotcha thanks.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Such a shame this is the one AA game to not make it overseas.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Pureauthor posted:

Such a shame this is the one AA game to not make it overseas.

Yeah, especially since it's the one game that's a direct sequel *and* an important conclusion to the game before it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This is super cute

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hard to believe we're just a few days away from not hearing anything about the next AA coming to the US

The time to be disappointed and sad is nearly here

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Amppelix posted:

This is super cute

I don't get it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

She's tying up the ribbon around her neck to look like Polly's hair.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waffleman_ posted:

She's tying up the ribbon around her neck to look like Polly's hair.

:confused:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Finished Layton vs Wright last night. It feels much more like a Level-5 than a Capcom game, which is to say it has more technical polish and less dramatic grounding.

I'm guessing the localizer and/or the writer got just as jaded as we did by the end and Phoenix's line ("Meh, who cares?") was really about them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It shows, really.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Level-5 vs. Capcom.

Subtitle: And Phoenix Wright does some stuff, too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Amppelix posted:

This is super cute

It's pretty hilarious how Apollo jumped in in popularity after having Phoenix take the title of the game again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Of the main characters, I'd say Dual Destinies had the least to do with Phoenix.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It really helps that Apollo finally got some semblance of a backstory and an actual personality.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Of the main characters, I'd say Dual Destinies had the least to do with Phoenix.

Then again I'd argue that pretty much no game in the series has really been about him.

Even in the original trilogy you could easily argue that each game is about someone else, and their relationship to him rather then Phoenix himself.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Then again I'd argue that pretty much no game in the series has really been about him.

Even in the original trilogy you could easily argue that each game is about someone else, and their relationship to him rather then Phoenix himself.

This is why I was always slightly perplexed by the "We wanna play as Phoenix, who is this Apollo he isn't even a character!" response to AJ (which wasn't that large admittedly, the other problems were more complained about). Phoenix is such a nothing character for most of the trilogy. Outside of very specific moments (3-1 and 3-5, some stuff with Edgey in 1-4, etc.) he's 80% player avatar, 10% snark, 10% actual character. I guess he is given a backstory and motivation in the first game though while Apollo was only graced with one of those in his game.

But my point is, at least for me who you are playing as is the least important part of any case, it's the characters around you that make or break it. Everyone morphs into a sorta generic player avatar anyway when in your control. Well, except for that one part in 3-5 where you're Edgeworth, his internal monologue is amazing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Amppelix posted:

This is why I was always slightly perplexed by the "We wanna play as Phoenix, who is this Apollo he isn't even a character!" response to AJ (which wasn't that large admittedly, the other problems were more complained about). Phoenix is such a nothing character for most of the trilogy. Outside of very specific moments (3-1 and 3-5, some stuff with Edgey in 1-4, etc.) he's 80% player avatar, 10% snark, 10% actual character. I guess he is given a backstory and motivation in the first game though while Apollo was only graced with one of those in his game.

But my point is, at least for me who you are playing as is the least important part of any case, it's the characters around you that make or break it. Everyone morphs into a sorta generic player avatar anyway when in your control. Well, except for that one part in 3-5 where you're Edgeworth, his internal monologue is amazing.

It's more of an issue in AA4 because that game tried to make Apollo a part of the plot, what with his connection with Trucy and the Gramaryes and all, and it never follows up on him.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Come on Nick's at least 20% snark.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I do kinda love the character Edgeworth has in the investigations games though. He's just so smug.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amppelix posted:

I think it was that Apollo's brand of snark was pretty similar to Phoenix, so he didn't come off as a significantly different character. And when that's combined with his lack of plot importance, it makes people dislike him because seriously, what was the point of him?

DD on the other hand does a lot better in making all 3 of the playable lawyers pretty distinct in characterisation, even when playing as them. They're all significantly different characters, and they're not all that similar at all. In fact by the end of it, Phoenix comes off as maybe having the least interesting character of the 3, but maybe that's just because of his minimal plot importance.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Mia at her smuggest is way more smug than Nick at his smuggest. That little hair-flip is brutally powerful. Playing as Athena, Apollo, and Phoenix in AA5 are all also notably different (Apollo is the best.) The only real "generic player avatar" is Apollo in AA4, who is off-brand Phoenix with a few kinda-sorta running jokes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah they did a real good job with making each of the three player characters feel different, even if objectively you're not doing much different as a player.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think it was that Apollo's brand of snark was pretty similar to Phoenix, so he didn't come off as a significantly different character. And when that's combined with his lack of plot importance, it makes people dislike him because seriously, what was the point of him?

DD on the other hand does a lot better in making all 3 of the playable lawyers pretty distinct in characterisation, even when playing as them. They're all significantly different characters, and they're not all that similar at all. In fact by the end of it, Phoenix comes off as maybe having the least interesting character of the 3, but maybe that's just because of his minimal plot importance.

Well Phoenix arcs are also done, so that probably explains a lot of it too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think Apollo really changed immensely from AJ to DD, he just got more/better people to play off of, which helped him immensely being the only sane man at the Agency.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

The third game was definitely about Phoenix.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

alcharagia posted:

Mia at her smuggest is way more smug than Nick at his smuggest. That little hair-flip is brutally powerful. Playing as Athena, Apollo, and Phoenix in AA5 are all also notably different (Apollo is the best.) The only real "generic player avatar" is Apollo in AA4, who is off-brand Phoenix with a few kinda-sorta running jokes.

Apollo was so terminally uninteresting I almost gave up the series before I got to AAI2, which would have practically been a war crime.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Amppelix posted:

But my point is, at least for me who you are playing as is the least important part of any case

Not always. Case 3 of AAI2 is a good example of that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

mabels big day posted:

The third game was definitely about Phoenix.

Nah it's about Mia.

The first is about Edgeworth and the second is about Maya.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think it was really cool how some of Apollo's animations in DD were based off of Kristoph.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
Previews of tomorrow's Famitsu are up. Case 4 is confirmed to feature Natsume Souseki, author of the classic Japanese satire I Am a Cat. Get hype?

Note to Self fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 16, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Nah it's about Mia.

The first is about Edgeworth and the second is about Maya.

How was the second game about Maya? The second case definitely was and she was a highly important part of the final case but it's hard to say it was all about her. Even in the final case, despite her kidnapping being a major part of the drama, it is all focused around Phoenix and the fact that he needs to prove a guilty man innocent in order to save her. The final case is way more centred around Phoenix than Maya.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
All the good parts of Ace Attorney are really about Edgeworth.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Note to Self posted:

Previews of tomorrow's Famitsu are up. Case 4 is confirmed to feature Natsume Souseki, author of the classic Japanese satire I Am a Cat. Get hype?

The cat's name is Wagahai (the "I" in "I Am A Cat"). That's cute.

Souseki did spend a couple of years in England at the beginning of the 20th century, which makes this historically accurate. Also, they keep coming up with ways to make translators' life miserable, don't they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

orenronen posted:

The cat's name is Wagahai (the "I" in "I Am A Cat"). That's cute.

Souseki did spend a couple of years in England at the beginning of the 20th century, which makes this historically accurate. Also, they keep coming up with ways to make translators' life miserable, don't they.

I can't wait for the day this comes full circle with a GS game set in America that CoA localizes to be Japan.

• Locked thread