Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I honestly think Fume Knight would be easier to deal with in Witcher 3's combat engine than in DS2. Geralt can spam dodges like it was nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I honestly feel kinda bad for people who killed letho in w2.

he's fantasy world Riddick

divx
Aug 21, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I honestly feel kinda bad for people who killed letho in w2.

He was so fun to fight though :negative:

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Towards the end (??? I've done a ton of main quest poo poo since then and gained like ten levels so maybe it's not towards the end) of the main quest, you're told to make a save and that further progress prevents a number of quests from being completed. Is there a comprehensive list of what these quests are?

Also, this game is loving amazing.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Alasyre posted:

Towards the end (??? I've done a ton of main quest poo poo since then and gained like ten levels so maybe it's not towards the end) of the main quest, you're told to make a save and that further progress prevents a number of quests from being completed. Is there a comprehensive list of what these quests are?

Also, this game is loving amazing.

Pretty sure its only the related queststo gather allies against the Wild Hunt

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I feel sorry for the composer since I can't remember any music but the Gwent themes. Hey! ... Hey!

I actually got the theme to White Orchard at the beginning stuck in my head, thought it was rather pretty.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

divx posted:

Pretty sure its only the related queststo gather allies against the Wild Hunt

OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

How far am i in the game with the uma quest as my next main objective?
I've played like 40- 50 hours.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Real hurthling! posted:

How far am i in the game with the uma quest as my next main objective?
I've played like 40- 50 hours.

60% maybe? No new huge areas, though, so if you've done all the exploring you want it'll go faster.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'd guess maybe 4-6 hours of the main quest. Can't guess how many side-quests are left, but all but a handful of them will be available at that point, so if you've cleaned up the map then there's not much side stuff left either.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

I'd guess maybe 4-6 hours of the main quest. Can't guess how many side-quests are left, but all but a handful of them will be available at that point, so if you've cleaned up the map then there's not much side stuff left either.

Probably double that. Uma is well before siege of Kaer Morhen and then you've got a few side quests in Novigrad leading up to the final sequence. A good 10 hours minimum, I'd think, unless you're skipping cutscenes.

But yeah at that point you've essentially exhausted the main quest lines in each of the zones and are bearing down on endgame sequence. Not that there isn't a ton of cool side stuff to do.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just did the Battle of Kaer Morhen and oh man that entire thing was fantastic. The only things that sucked were I didn't manage to recruit everyone, I would've liked to have seen Dikjstra there but I didn't do his stuff before trying to recruit him so he told me no. I also would've liked to have seen the Skellige crew that came do something. Everyone else got some thing cool to do during the battle but it never once went to them. The Keira Metz part was pretty loving cool though. So was Triss literally raining fire down on everyone. The conclusion with Ciri just going apeshit bonkers when Vesimer dies was rad. And the funeral is properly emotional. Geralt is so :smith:

The Wild Hunt are a cooler (harhar) villain I expected them to be. They're pretty generic Evil Dudes Wearing Black Skull Armor until one of them takes off their masks. I had no real idea what the Wild Hunt was before this game, so I was surprised that they are kind of human underneath the armor and masks.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Macaluso posted:

The Wild Hunt are a cooler (harhar) villain I expected them to be. They're pretty generic Evil Dudes Wearing Black Skull Armor until one of them takes off their masks. I had no real idea what the Wild Hunt was before this game, so I was surprised that they are kind of human underneath the armor and masks.

they're roided up space elves

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a list of where to get all the gwent cards? I'm gwenting all over the loving place and I've only so far got enough to play Nilfgard and Northern. Monster cards seem to be rarer than elves.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Macaluso posted:

The only things that sucked were I didn't manage to recruit everyone, I would've liked to have seen Dikjstra there but I didn't do his stuff before trying to recruit him so he told me no.

He always says no, unless the achievement I got for recruiting every possible ally is lying.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I just wanna say, gently caress this randomly irreversible minimize bug.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a list of where to get all the gwent cards? I'm gwenting all over the loving place and I've only so far got enough to play Nilfgard and Northern. Monster cards seem to be rarer than elves.

I'm using this site and their checklist to keep track of my collection

http://www.gwentcards.com/

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

Just finished on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty at around 70 hours -- I played a lot of Gwent. The story and production values are great. The world is great. My only real complaint is the combat -- it's SO EASY. Maybe Dark Souls just ruined 3rd person combat that's not absurdly challenging for me, but there wasn't a single fight where I needed any significant strategy to win. I died many times, to be sure, but that's more because I would just get into a groove blitzing everything with fast attack for an hour and then a decent enemy would happen along and I'd have to take him semi-seriously the next time around. If you've played Dark Souls, everyone is absurdly easy to dodge with the spacebar roll, parrying is laughably simple, and the strategy "Roll diagonally towards enemy, turn and fast attack their flanks/rear a few times, repeat" is sufficient to kill pretty much every major enemy in the game without fail. The fights that were the hardest for me were the top tier brawling fights against humans, because they would actually block and you can't roll. But you can still just parry them every time if you're patient. The bear and troll fistfights were much easier because you can just roll diagonally and punch them in the back and sides. When I got to the end boss and he started to use area attacks I thought he might finally make me try hard but nope, rolls and fast attacks in the back carried the day.

Basically if Eredin had been more like the Fume Knight I'd have thought this was perfect. It was still awesome, but if I played it again it wouldn't be for the combat.

Sidestep/Piroutte is actually far more useful than rolling in this game, it is much better than rolling to get behind an enemy.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Rolling I use to reposition/close distance. The short dash is for dodging. Exceptions are big fuckers like fiends, where roll is actually good for dodging.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Someone needs to make a mod that makes it so that when you press "X" while swimming, it calls a boat.

Also, if you could use Aard to use stamina to go faster on the boat.

These are things that would make this game better. loving insta-spawning Sirens all over the place in Skellige. They're like Cliff Racers.

Also: I'm gonna stream now: https://www.twitch.tv/dork_rex/

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 12, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Geralt's twirling about has as much reach to close the gap after a sidehop but often comes up short if you do a roll, so if you're in a serious fight one-on-one it's almost always better to be hopping than rolling unless you're fighting something with a really long reach.

Something big enough that you need to roll to evade is something you can easily close the distance on after rolling, too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Just about every armor I come across makes Geralt look like he's got a beer belly. Nothing has looked as good as the starter armor. Is there any armor that's more like that?

The armor makes you look fat because you want more inches of steel and padding between swords and your soft squishy flesh, not fewer. :psyduck:

The hit detection in this game is so good. I was using Whirl against a bunch of low-level human opponents; the high pirouette decapitated two and the low strike cut a dude in half. I've only once seen the dismemberment system do something slightly wrong, and even then it was close.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 12, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do you use boats? I went up to one and it didnt have any context menu. Do I have to do some quest to learn how to use a boat? lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Walk to the rudder in the back of the boat, that's the driver's seat.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
go to the back and take the helm

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you use boats? I went up to one and it didnt have any context menu. Do I have to do some quest to learn how to use a boat? lol

you have to win a series of boat licensing challenges in the forms of races and jumps

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the loading screen says you can fast travel from a boat but i don't get how.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It has to be to a harbor, you can't fast travel anywhere else on a boat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Okay that I'm clueless about.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I also would've liked to have seen the Skellige crew that came do something. Everyone else got some thing cool to do during the battle but it never once went to them.

Yeah, no cool cutscene for them but I do remember when Hjalmar was fighting some Wild Hunt dudes and gets tossed through a portal which disappears. A few seconds later another portal pops up and Hjalmar stumbles out covered in frost and goes "Not as cold as Skellige" or something along those lines. I thought it was pretty funny.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Holy poo poo the writing in all those little quests at Kaer Mohren. Who knew hanging out with your total bro friend, your sourpuss friend, and your bitter ex could be so fun.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Okay that I'm clueless about.

I think it's as simple as getting in a boat and taking the helm/rudder thingy, then opening the map. You'll see a bunch of anchor symbols in waterways around the map, click on any of them to fast travel. It's been a little while since I used one though, probably just to get to Fyke Island. I mostly run around the place hopped up on Werewolf Decoction, murdering as I go.

Alternate Igni is pretty loving broken. I ran into a skull-level grave hag in the far west of Velen, and when I set her on fire she was taking damage that was in the range of 1800-2000 per tick, and died after being set alight four or five times. Coupling burn damage to max health isn't the way I would do it.

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 12, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well poo poo, I'll give that a shot next time I'm hunting for question marks off the coast.

Calaveron posted:

Holy poo poo the writing in all those little quests at Kaer Mohren. Who knew hanging out with your total bro friend, your sourpuss friend, and your bitter ex could be so fun.

smh

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Finally finished the game despite me trying not to. Got the Ciri Witcher ending. I felt that the ending was a bit rushed. Like, after I killed Eredin, it jumps to the stuff about the White Frost, barely explaining anything about it and whoop Ciri's dead but not really. It sucks that there wasn't anything more to Geralt's and Triss's relationship than that one sex scene, the talk about the house in Kovir and the single ending slide. I mean, I get that Triss isn't really the "canon" choice but it still felt a bit bare bones. Also made me feel really bad that I didn't help with Radovid's assassination. Overall, I would've liked to see more W2 stuff. I didn't see Anais mentioned at all during the game. What happened with her? After Temeria got eaten by Redania and Nilfgaard, did Roche send her back to her mother? I certainly didn't see her in that cave. And what about Aryan? It was important enough to ask about him during the "simulate save game" function but I didn't see him brought up at all. Does Mary Louisa La Valette refuse to go to the races with you if you killed him?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So, what are these huge boulders that show a Sun icon? I saw one when I was looking for some master witcher armor, and near a boat. Not sure what to do there.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So, what are these huge boulders that show a Sun icon? I saw one when I was looking for some master witcher armor, and near a boat. Not sure what to do there.

Do Keira's quest.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Don't think of it in those terms. Triss specifically says, multiple times, she knows what's going to happen to her, and that she can take it. It comes down to if you trust her word or you/Geralt can't take it/need to 'save' her.

A different thing happened to me. I totally hosed up the conversation choices despite wanting to follow Triss' plan, so the guards all went hostile. After killing everyone, Triss said something like "Deception isn't your strong suit, is it?."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zakmonster posted:

A different thing happened to me. I totally hosed up the conversation choices despite wanting to follow Triss' plan, so the guards all went hostile. After killing everyone, Triss said something like "Deception isn't your strong suit, is it?."

You started asking about Dijsktra's money, right?

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Calaveron posted:

You started asking about Dijsktra's money, right?

Not at all. I started demanding to hand Triss over to the head honcho personally, and apparently they took offense to that. Didn't even get past the gate guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zakmonster posted:

This exact thing happened to me, but about three minutes later. I got into the office, and Triss had been led away to be tortured. The main Witch Hunter offered me a drink, I said "no thanks", he insisted and I insisted otherwise and then he got stabby and I got burny and things didn't end well for him and his men and then the rest of his men as well. Triss said "what the gently caress happened?" and I said "umm yeah he saw through the whole thing, we were never going to get away with it"