Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Grey Fox posted:

edit: See the reddit thread for some serious cosplay opinions.

I find that thread harassing and will immediately contact Ellen Pao to have it removed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grey Fox posted:

At least the top quotes weren't about how all the readers wanted to gently caress her. That's progress right? :smith:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Immortan Joanne!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Silver Shade Cosplay. Good friend of my wife's and totally a goddamn chameleon when it comes to costumes and different looks. She's actually the cosplayer I got to do the "Michelle Knight" photoshoot with KITT back in April.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

mind the walrus posted:

At least the top quotes weren't about how all the readers wanted to gently caress her. That's progress right? :smith:

I'm not certain what the prominently displayed boobs are for but otherwise pretty drat cool.

I mean I know what they are for but sheesh!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Boomerjinks posted:

Silver Shade Cosplay. Good friend of my wife's and totally a goddamn chameleon when it comes to costumes and different looks. She's actually the cosplayer I got to do the "Michelle Knight" photoshoot with KITT back in April.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boomerjinks posted:

You ain't kidding. That is someone who knows how to go the extra mile without making it look hard.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Yeah she's bananas.

I also think I'm faceblind because I was convinced for like three years that "Meevers" was her cosplay moniker, as I had never seen Meevers and Silver Shade in the same room at the same time before.

Then I came home from work one day to one of my wife's pre-con sewing parties and saw them sitting on the couch together, and I had the weirdest meltdown.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

Why did I read? gently caress you!

The cosplay is :perfect:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

VendaGoat posted:

Why did I read? gently caress you!

The cosplay is :perfect:

her face is right, that's enough for most people I guess

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

starkebn posted:

her face is right, that's enough for most people I guess

So, we should deduct points for not having a vacu-formed, clear, plasti-chest piece with attached medals and various bullshit?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
God forbid someone picks up a prop and takes an out-of-context picture.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Boomerjinks posted:

God forbid someone picks up a prop and takes an out-of-context picture.

the make-up makes me think this wasn't just an off-the-cuff

starkebn
May 18, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

So, we should deduct points for not having a vacu-formed, clear, plasti-chest piece with attached medals and various bullshit?

Umm, probably yes. She looks awesome, but much of the costume people are digging is tits pushed up by black corset.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I don't know, from the neck down she still looks like a random person from the Mad Max universe, its just that from the neck up she has a (really well done) mask and makeup of a specific character. If she was cosplaying as Lord Humungus you would probably expect her to change the outfit slightly to fit her gender (partially so she wouldn't get arrested).

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Could be that she'd just finished the mask and wanted to take it for a test run. If someone were willing to put that much effort into a single prop, I doubt they'd stop there.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Cat Hatter posted:

I don't know, from the neck down she still looks like a random person from the Mad Max universe, its just that from the neck up she has a (really well done) mask and makeup of a specific character. If she was cosplaying as Lord Humungus you would probably expect her to change the outfit slightly to fit her gender (partially so she wouldn't get arrested).

Nah, from the neck down, she looks like a standard goth/punk/whatever-the-kids-are-calling-it-these-days. No dirt, no rust, no tattered rags, no cobbled-together anything - everything is very clean and proper and fashionable.

I'm not gonna be a judgmental dick who says that she can't have fun and dress up as whatever she wants. That's totally her prerogative, and I bet she had a blast! That's what costuming is all about. But in my mind, this is a custom costume, rather than "cosplay" proper. And as far as "Immortan Joe cosplay" goes, I would say that it is MEDIOCRE

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Grey Fox posted:

Fuuuuuuck that's awesome.
Edit: for all I know, this chick spent time on the mask and didn't get around to the rest of the costume. Honestly, I don't care. That mask is kickin rad.

foxatee has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Jun 12, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Patattack posted:

Nah, from the neck down, she looks like a standard goth/punk/whatever-the-kids-are-calling-it-these-days. No dirt, no rust, no tattered rags, no cobbled-together anything - everything is very clean and proper and fashionable.

I'm not gonna be a judgmental dick who says that she can't have fun and dress up as whatever she wants. That's totally her prerogative, and I bet she had a blast! That's what costuming is all about. But in my mind, this is a custom costume, rather than "cosplay" proper. And as far as "Immortan Joe cosplay" goes, I would say that it is MEDIOCRE

Yeah I agree.

As a custom costume it's still well-done. The skin makeup and hair are good, the facemask prop is excellent, the clothing look to be above par, and the photo itself highlights all that appeal. Factor in the "rule of big tits" and it's no surprise it's gotten so much attention.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Boomerjinks posted:

I absolutely love the Sheik photo on that cover page.

And thank you all for being better than the reddit shitheads

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I find that thread harassing and will immediately contact Ellen Pao to have it removed

I just read the news on what she did and I think I'm in love :allears:. She's doing what I've wouldn't even dare to dream of. A grief to end all griefs. Please let this women continue to let the tears of manbabies flow like wine.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I think in the spirit of cosplay, she's doing a fine job. I've seen Steampunk Tinkerbells. Genderswapped Gastons. Now look, if we are going to judge them solely on being dead balls accurate to the character, that's one thing. If instead you want to go for creativity and style points for making something that looks "right" it's another thing.

So, I guess it depends on what metrics we use.

For me, cosplay is about having fun and being as accurate as you want to be, confined to the realm of reality. Obviously, you can't change your ethnicity, height and other factors, so I'm apt to look past that and give a bit of leeway.

When a person comes along that fits the character type AND nails the costume, I give huge points.

For her, she's covered in white, her hair is done perfect. The makeup job is excellent, the main defining prop is perfect. Is she gothic from the neck down, sure, but boy does it immediately read Immorton Joe when you see her.

edit: you asshats got me to serious post.

VendaGoat has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Jun 12, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

VendaGoat posted:

For her, she's covered in white, her hair is done perfect. The makeup job is excellent, the main defining prop is perfect. Is she gothic from the neck down, sure, but boy does it immediately read Immorton Joe when you see her.

I don't know, many people probably notice the neck down part first.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DID I MENTION SHE HAS HUGE BAPS

THE FACT THAT SHE HAS HUGE BAPS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS CONVERSATION

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The Halle Berry movie?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Saint Freak posted:

The Halle Berry movie?

Some really important piece of information I learned in the late 90s has forever been replaced with the tagline "These Pretty Women... are Clueless!"

Thanks Halle Berry

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Thanks Halle Berry

Thalle Berry

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Hell yes, this is great! Not seen a lot of MI cosplay.

... So many memories of getting voodoo-teleported all over the place.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Paladinus posted:

I don't know, many people probably notice the neck down part first.

Alouicious posted:

DID I MENTION SHE HAS HUGE BAPS

THE FACT THAT SHE HAS HUGE BAPS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS CONVERSATION

I'm sorry, let me just channel my manhood. :gizz:

Ok, I get ten more seconds of rational thought before I go back to a walking talking penis.

Which would be an amazing cosplay.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I think I'm the one who started this little talk, and I did say she looked amazing. I was just calling out the people calling it perfect in every way.

I think people like McPantserton deserve way more credit for their effort (and she definitely gets it).

It's fine to like all levels of effort but a smooshed up pair of tits shouldn't add as much cred as it seems to.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Those are some of the best anime eyes I've seen

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

yeah it'd be on point except for those gross fuckin tits

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I hear short haired girls are damaged

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Why is someone cosplaying as a RealDoll?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

starkebn posted:

I think I'm the one who started this little talk, and I did say she looked amazing. I was just calling out the people calling it perfect in every way.

I think people like McPantserton deserve way more credit for their effort (and she definitely gets it).

It's fine to like all levels of effort but a smooshed up pair of tits shouldn't add as much cred as it seems to.

They could have been talking about the mask, which is an amazing replica.

The need to condemn the attention someone is getting as being only because they're attractive can be as bad as aggressively sexualizing a woman. It disregards the possibility of her accomplishment as being the source of the praise. Notice how quickly everyone was to discredit the mask and her costume to convince us it could only be about her body. And there's really no need to compare the amount of attention people are getting, especially when a lot is given to good work here. There isn't a finite amount of praise to give out.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The clothing strikes me as lazy since it seems like a sexy cosplay shouldn't be that hard when the costume calls for see through clothing and all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Practical Demon posted:

The need to condemn the attention someone is getting as being only because they're attractive can be as bad as aggressively sexualizing a woman.

Dead-on. Slut-shaming is just the other side of objectification. It's one thing to point out that some cosplayers (male and female!) needlessly sexualize characters specifically to garner attention based on their looks rather than the quality of their costume (or to point out that one of them sexualized a child rape victim), it's another to say "tits out = attention whore".

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Jun 13, 2015

• Locked thread