Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

prinneh posted:

Could you maybe add a picture or two to show what you're looking for? I've never had a shoe that otherwise fit well, like you maybe suggest your vans did, and then have it turn on me after just walking around for a weekend. Honestly, any nike/adidas shoe should do the trick, those brands produce enough different shoes that you can just about find whatever it is you're looking for if you just want a basic no frills sneaker like vans?

a basic, no frills sneaker like vans, but with a little more in the way of a sole I guess? Something close I found were these tevas. They are the basic style of what I'm looking for but a bit lacking in support/sole area. Pretty decent shoe though in terms of packability/weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There is no single pair of shoes that can be "dressy" and hold up to hard hiking without looking dadly; I've been looking for such a thing for years. The closest I've found is these which were really good for walking but pretty dorky looking but since I'm pretty much dad age anyway I went for it [they also come in a chukka style]. I usually pack 2 pairs, the last trip I used those Merrells and a pair of Adidas Busenitz ADV. On other trips I used dedicated low-top hikers and a pair of Ecco dress shoes. For city walking skate shoes are definitely my pick, there are ones with good cushioning and arch support that don't look like huge clunkers like those Adidas, Vans Era Pros, Cons KA3 or Nike SB Janoskis.

e: These just came out, I've never seen them in person but Lowa is legit.

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 2, 2015

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Not really looking for something capable of hard hiking (like trails/mountains) but just a lot of walking. I guess I'm just going to bite the bullet and bring 2 pairs of shoes.

I did manage to find a few other close options from patagonia: these moccasins and these sneakers

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I was thinking about getting some of these http://www.zappos.com/merrell-annex-ventilator-black?zlfid=191&ref=pd_sims_p_ab_1 but they might be more sporty-looking than you want.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

hbf posted:

a basic, no frills sneaker like vans, but with a little more in the way of a sole I guess? Something close I found were these tevas. They are the basic style of what I'm looking for but a bit lacking in support/sole area. Pretty decent shoe though in terms of packability/weight.

Aside from the Clark Desert boot, I can't really think of a shoe that looks like that. You had me a little confused with saying Vans and sneakers but showing a picture of those tevas, I usually think of vans as those slipper shoes. Before I saw that picture, I was going to suggest looking at Adidas Consortium shoes (Adidas shoes re-designed by designers of other brands). They change a lot, sometimes looking much less sneaker like, have support (more than vans, not a like hiking shoe), but are limited editions mostly I think. Someone else suggested a nike free shoe, which are great for warm weather travel but look well, like you belong on a collage campus. I suppose you could always just Nike-ID yourself a Free shoe. What about the tevas with a sole insert? Sorry I couldn't help :(

Edit: I love Patagonia's stuff usually, but I've heard a few bad things about the durability of their footwear, could anyone confirm/deny?

prinneh fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 2, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Adidas Consortium shoes have no extra padding, they're just limited edition and sometimes in interesting materials. Unless they look like brick shithouses or say otherwise most shoes from outdoor brands aren't going to have any more support than any other shoes.

e: As far as Vans go, there's "classic" Vans and there's "pro" Vans and aside from looking similar they're completely different. I have normal Eras and the insole is flat as a pancake and the Era Pros have arch support and extra cushioning. The reason I keep harping on skate shoes is that they have modern support and feel but don't look like "performance" shoes.

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 2, 2015

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

qirex posted:

Adidas Consortium shoes have no extra padding, they're just limited edition and sometimes in interesting materials. Unless they look like brick shithouses or say otherwise most shoes from outdoor brands aren't going to have any more support than any other shoes.

Most them have more padding than their vans counterparts, was what I meant. I suggested them for how some of them look, which sometimes are "less sneaker-like".

edit: I see that I could have made that clearer, thank you for calling me out on it.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
X-Posting from Hike thread. Guess I'm just worried about not having extra room for more supplies if my route takes longer than expected.

Brinner posted:

Hiking thread,

I'm thinking of selling my Tatonka Bison 75 for a ULA circuit pack. 75L is pretty excessive, even on extended hikes. Plan to be flying a bit too which is a pain with such a large pack. It's really nice though :ohdear:

Any advice? Planning some multi week hikes and travel across eastern Europe. My worry is using a UL backpack and carrying 7+ days worth of supplies. My gear comes in at around 8 kilos.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

Nike Flyknit Lunars are super comfortable

My choice, super comfy and looks good on any kind of fit.
As a bonus, it's one of those rare shoes that look fine, are comfy AND come in wide size to accommodate my lovely feet.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Brinner posted:

X-Posting from Hike thread. Guess I'm just worried about not having extra room for more supplies if my route takes longer than expected.

I have no experience with ULA, but as a bit of a UL nut myself I would be amiss if I didn't warn you that Europe baggage handlers are just as likely to gently caress your luggage as they are to gently plump it down. If you go down this route, make sure to either use a flight bag or bring it as a carry-on.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Whats up with all the people buying special shoes just for walking around? Sidewalk is the same everywhere, no matter if you are walking in your home town or somewhere in Europe.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Azur posted:

Whats up with all the people buying special shoes just for walking around? Sidewalk is the same everywhere, no matter if you are walking in your home town or somewhere in Europe.
I think most people don't do 10+ miles a day on the regular and that's a normal day of wandering around a city and some museums.

My goal has alway been to have a pair of shoes with me that I would feel OK wearing in a nice restaurant which isn't really running shoes. But I'm the guy who travels with a softshell blazer...

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

prinneh posted:

I have no experience with ULA, but as a bit of a UL nut myself I would be amiss if I didn't warn you that Europe baggage handlers are just as likely to gently caress your luggage as they are to gently plump it down. If you go down this route, make sure to either use a flight bag or bring it as a carry-on.

Yeah this is also a worry. I guess i just have to suck up the fact I can't carry on kit capable of what i'm looking at doing overseas. Don't think a Circuit will fit into carry-on requirements!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I honestly just wear my Clark's Desert Boots with arch-support insoles if it's just for walking around. For SEA, I used Clark's Pikko Alto with arch-support insoles as well and they're more breathable. They look like goddamn elf shoes in online photos, but they actually look like canvas Desert Boots when you wear it.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Azur posted:

like qirex said, I don't walk as much when home as I do touring a new city on foot. Also, weight/packability is a factor when traveling that doesn't exist when home.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hence the travel dad look

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Constellation I posted:

I honestly just wear my Clark's Desert Boots with arch-support insoles if it's just for walking around. For SEA, I used Clark's Pikko Alto with arch-support insoles as well and they're more breathable. They look like goddamn elf shoes in online photos, but they actually look like canvas Desert Boots when you wear it.

They look like something a peasant would wear in game of thrones. Is there any arch support at all? Looks like a thin sole and that's it.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Brinner posted:

Yeah this is also a worry. I guess i just have to suck up the fact I can't carry on kit capable of what i'm looking at doing overseas. Don't think a Circuit will fit into carry-on requirements!

Flightbags are a bit of a nuissance, but they do work fine in my experience. Also, there's packing a backpack for backpacking and packing a backpack for backpacks in transit. From the testimonials here and on ULA's site, the circuit looks like a very tough pack for UL. With a flightbag and no sharp-cornered items, I think you'll be alright - just get luggage insurance maybe?

For the discount UL hobo look, bring a plastic bag as a carry-on so you don't have to log around an extra bag :D

prinneh fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 4, 2015

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

prinneh posted:

Flightbags are a bit of a nuissance, but they do work fine in my experience. Also, there's packing a backpack for backpacking and packing a backpack for backpacks in transit. From the testimonials here and on ULA's site, the circuit looks like a very tough pack for UL. With a flightbag and no sharp-cornered items, I think you'll be alright - just get luggage insurance maybe?

For the discount UL hobo look, bring a plastic bag as a carry-on so you don't have to log around an extra bag :D

I am nothing if not hobo chic!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Outrail posted:

They look like something a peasant would wear in game of thrones. Is there any arch support at all? Looks like a thin sole and that's it.

I used to wear DB's all the time, so I thought I'd order these and they'll just be like the DB's but easier to pack. The sole is a crepe sole like the DB's, but the insole has way less padding, so I bought arch support insoles for them. They were comfortable as gently caress after that and I had no issues temple and jungle trekking in Cambodia/Angkor Wat for a couple of days. I guess Chucks with the same insoles would be the same.

I'll stand by my suggestion that if you want good walking shoes, then get shoes made for walking or running shoes with good support and don't give a gently caress about how it looks. If you still want comfort in walking but are picky with what your shoes look like, then get the shoes you want and add arch-support insoles as a good compromise.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
Does anyone own a Tortuga Air? Thinking about picking one up because it looks like the ideal size but wondered if it's worth the slight increase in price over other "good carry on backpacks" I've seen like the Osprey Farpoint or Porter.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
I picked up a pretty decent packable daypack/backpack: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KX0B5TW

Packs really small and seems to work well enough, and it's only $18.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

cadenza posted:

Does anyone own a Tortuga Air? Thinking about picking one up because it looks like the ideal size but wondered if it's worth the slight increase in price over other "good carry on backpacks" I've seen like the Osprey Farpoint or Porter.
Just got one to try out, haven't gone on a trip with it yet, but the construction seems solid and the layout seems nice enough (opens flat instead of top loading main compartment, and the expandable compartment gives you a bit more flexibility when you need it). Sold out until July though.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
I really like the look of the minaal too but 300 seems like a lot to me. Anyone got one of those?

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

hbf posted:

I picked up a pretty decent packable daypack/backpack: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KX0B5TW

Packs really small and seems to work well enough, and it's only $18.

Just for an additional data point, I recently got REI's old flashback for $25, which is pretty similar. I'm loving the simplicity quite a bit, and it serves its purpose well.

http://www.rei.com/product/870966/r...=cm_mmc:cse_PLA

cadenza posted:

I really like the look of the minaal too but 300 seems like a lot to me. Anyone got one of those?

This is very cool. I wish I could afford it.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
This is a reminder that carry on allowances are/may be changing in the future so double check the dimensions before purchasing.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I still haven't found an actual good travel shoe BTW.

I thought about these https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4071 but without being able to try them on I don't know if they'll eviscerate my achille's tendon if I wear them around for a real walk. Also they're too dressy for sometimes. Eh.

H&M has a Common Projects clone but that means it looks like a sneaker but is made out of leather, black and white: http://www.hm.com/us/product/30406?article=30406-A They're cheap at least. The sole is basically untextured rubber.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Humphrey Vasel posted:

This is a reminder that carry on allowances are/may be changing in the future so double check the dimensions before purchasing.

Yup, just bought a loving bag 3 weeks before I saw that announcement. The Osprey Porter 46 is maxed out on every dimension. For real fun, I hate hate hate sitting in stores trying on clothes. I'd rather buy items, try them on at home, and return the items I don't want the next time I'm passing by the store. REI hassled me the last time I returned something because I have so many returns on my account, so they'll probably gently caress with me with this return too. I'll probably just ask that they "fire me as a customer" and give me my $20 back if they do.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What carry on changes?

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
"The recommendation by the International Air Transport Association suggests an 'optimal' carry-on size at 21.5 inches (55cm) tall by 13.5 inches (34cm) wide by 7.5 inches (19cm) deep", though I've seen some places say 55x35x20cm. Also bear in mind not all airlines have adopted those guidelines. It's more something to keep an eye on for now.

source: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jun/10/plane-passengers-may-need-to-buy-new-suitcases-in-plan-to-shrink-carry-on-size

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

The deep part is the change that doesn't make any sense. That's basically changing how low the overhead compartment hangs, which is a weight/space saving thing for airlines but really doesn't help them fit more seats or bags.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Humphrey Vasel posted:

"The recommendation by the International Air Transport Association suggests an 'optimal' carry-on size at 21.5 inches (55cm) tall by 13.5 inches (34cm) wide by 7.5 inches (19cm) deep", though I've seen some places say 55x35x20cm. Also bear in mind not all airlines have adopted those guidelines. It's more something to keep an eye on for now.

source: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jun/10/plane-passengers-may-need-to-buy-new-suitcases-in-plan-to-shrink-carry-on-size

Yeah, but it will probably just end up like EasyJet's 'change*' where they only 'guarantee' your bag will fly with you if it's some tiny dimension, but even if they make you gate-check it, they still let you fly with the old larger size. I've been flying with the same Timberland suitcase for a little over 10 years now (Jesus, it's lasted amazingly well) and have never had any problems with it pushing the boundary limits.

*http://www.skyscanner.net/news/7-ways-beat-new-easyjet-cabin-baggage-rules

Also on topic for travel gear: I recently bought a bunch of Icebreaker merino wool shirts, and they are the poo poo. Half an hour after you take them off, no matter how sweaty you were, they're dry and smell like a normal shirt again. All of my cotton shirts are going in the garbage, where they belong. A+++ would recommend for the OP, worth every penny of the $65 or whatever their tshirts cost.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Wow, I just bought a 55x40x20cm bag for Ryanair flights...

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Saladman posted:

Also on topic for travel gear: I recently bought a bunch of Icebreaker merino wool shirts, and they are the poo poo. Half an hour after you take them off, no matter how sweaty you were, they're dry and smell like a normal shirt again. All of my cotton shirts are going in the garbage, where they belong. A+++ would recommend for the OP, worth every penny of the $65 or whatever their tshirts cost.

I just came here to ask about these. I'm heading to Guatemala for a few weeks, and was going to ask if I could do without a full compliment of merino wool, since the climate is pretty mild. I feel like that money would be better spent on experiences. Is it really as life-changing as all the travel blogs say?

To contribute: exofficio give n go boxers are as life changing as the travel blogs say.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

With EasyJet being like slightly more expensive but multiple times more comfortable, I'm surprised there's a strong demand for the RyanJet experience.

Beast Pussy posted:

I just came here to ask about these. I'm heading to Guatemala for a few weeks, and was going to ask if I could do without a full compliment of merino wool, since the climate is pretty mild. I feel like that money would be better spent on experiences. Is it really as life-changing as all the travel blogs say?

To contribute: exofficio give n go boxers are as life changing as the travel blogs say.

I assume you're talking about shirts and not socks/underwear.

The primary thing that wool offers over synthetics is the lack of body odor collection. It doesn't hang on wool whereas synthetics seem to enhance the B.O. They both offer the same features on every other vector. If you're on a budget, just use your synthetics.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 11, 2015

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Blakkout posted:

Just for an additional data point, I recently got REI's old flashback for $25, which is pretty similar. I'm loving the simplicity quite a bit, and it serves its purpose well.

http://www.rei.com/product/870966/r...=cm_mmc:cse_PLA

Hey thats actually pretty nice. I have the old flash design and kinda started to hate it. The open top + the way they have the interior zipper mesh pocket in front constantly resulted in everything getting stuck when putting it in. This style seems much more functional and stylish.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I still haven't found an actual good travel shoe BTW.

I thought about these https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4071 but without being able to try them on I don't know if they'll eviscerate my achille's tendon if I wear them around for a real walk. Also they're too dressy for sometimes. Eh.

H&M has a Common Projects clone but that means it looks like a sneaker but is made out of leather, black and white: http://www.hm.com/us/product/30406?article=30406-A They're cheap at least. The sole is basically untextured rubber.

Looks pretty similar to Vans leather "authentic" and "decon" models btw. Similar price, but probably more available and on sale more often.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Blinkman987 posted:

I assume you're talking about shirts and not socks/underwear.

The primary thing that wool offers over synthetics is the lack of body odor collection. It doesn't hang on wool whereas synthetics seem to enhance the B.O. They both offer the same features on every other vector. If you're on a budget, just use your synthetics.

Thanks!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Beast Pussy posted:

was going to ask if I could do without a full compliment of merino wool, since the climate is pretty mild. I feel like that money would be better spent on experiences. Is it really as life-changing as all the travel blogs say?

I've been wearing this shirt every day for a week now to test out its smell durability, and it still smells fine shortly after I take it off. This is including a full day of travel with a transatlantic flight and sleeping in it twice. (I'm wearing it as an undershirt so my friends and colleagues don't start to wonder about my hygiene.) Normally everything I wear that's cotton is covered in sweat and smells like death after a day in a hot climate, and continues to smell like death until it's washed. YMMV, some people don't smell so bad when they sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I never heard of Icebreaker but I wear synthetics base layers all the time as a regular shirt. And man does my BO smell bad.

Time to buy a whole bunch and field test. I guess they dry easily as well so I can just wash them nightly like my other quick dry clothes right?

Beast Pussy posted:

Experiences are over rated. World traveling gets old. Fast. I used some no name brand synthetics and they kind of get worn out easily after a year or two.

• Locked thread