Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze thinks I know which one CJ is.

Ballard Street is now participating in Throwback Thursday Comix.

Pooch Café

Doctor Kisses, no!

Ballard Street

There are things I promise you. I will always crudely edit Pooch Café strips featuring images of giant bones or the words 'giant bone,' and I will always compare a haggard white-haired Ballardman to Jeremy Clarkson because come on, Carl is totally Jeremy Clarkson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family CIrcus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Does anybody else find it improbable that Luann's first college art class is a perfect storm of conceptual intimidation? Or did I miss the semester where she learned the fundamentals (figure drawing, sculpture, watercolors, etc. because that's how it happened to me*) before getting tossed into the deep end? Nobody should be asked to break the rules before they know what the rules are.

(* Full disclosure: I dead-ended in a community college art program, so the standards may be slightly different in a proper college/uni.)

It's really all dependent on the professor. My first semester of college I had a basic figure drawing class, beginners graphic design, and then some crazy Elements of Art class with an old, burned out hippie man. For one of my projects, I glued a muffin wrapper to a piece of paper and dropped paint on it. I got an A.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Some one please tell me my family isn't the only one that re-uses wrapping paper. Some one? Anyone? :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Scroto Baggins posted:

It's really all dependent on the professor. My first semester of college I had a basic figure drawing class, beginners graphic design, and then some crazy Elements of Art class with an old, burned out hippie man. For one of my projects, I glued a muffin wrapper to a piece of paper and dropped paint on it. I got an A.

My sculpture professor's first assignment was for us to make clay sculptures of our greatest fear. Or, rather, not the fear itself, but 'the essence of that fear'.

No instruction on forms or anything, just a big blob of clay and some water.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Some one please tell me my family isn't the only one that re-uses wrapping paper. Some one? Anyone? :(

Every stinkin' Christmas my father goes out of his way to carefully cut the tape so he can save the paper for reuse. Drives me nuts, frankly.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My dad does that, then throws the paper away. I think he just enjoys carefully unwrapping things.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Pic related. Not so much used wrapping paper, but I had a grandmother who would save all the color Sunday comics from the prior year, and use them for wrapping paper. It was a depression era thing, I guess. As a kid, I always thought it was pretty cool to be able to read the comics after opening the presents.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Tunicate posted:

My sculpture professor's first assignment was for us to make clay sculptures of our greatest fear. Or, rather, not the fear itself, but 'the essence of that fear'.

No instruction on forms or anything, just a big blob of clay and some water.

Actually, now that I think of it, my painting class had zero instruction as well. We were thrown in, shown how to prepare a canvas, and then expected to paint for 3 hours. I had no idea how to mix colors or blend anything and I was basically just burning what little money my college-self had on expensive tubes of color. However, I do believe this was because the professor was retiring that year and he gave zero fucks. Grades were given out based on cup-size, as I recall.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The stone carving group I sometimes attend starts people off with a lump of stone and a few minutes introductory "here's how to hold a chisel and not hammer your thumb", then you are left alone. But that's mostly so you can just get used to the feel of it before you start trying to achieve anything beyond "try and clean the crap off the surface". I could imagine it not working with most art forms.

Is Evans' daughter an arts graduate? Is she even still involved?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Is Evans' daughter an arts graduate? Is she even still involved?

From what I can find, Karen Evans helps plot the strip ... but her "day job" is dean of academics at a science middle school, so I'm guessing she's probably got a degree in education or something.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Evans' daughter is a vice principal at an elementary school (unless she got a new job since then?). So most likely she has some education degree.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

My grandma pretends to. "Ohhhhh, this is so pretty! We can't throw it away!" And then she folds it up carefully and puts it aside and forgets about it and goes home and then we throw it out.

goatface posted:

My dad does that, then throws the paper away. I think he just enjoys carefully unwrapping things.

Now, that I don't get. Ripping wrapping paper off a gift like some kind of unwashed barbarian is one of the joys of life.

Boy! We're talking about Luann a lot, aren't we? :v:

Luann

$7, huh? In art world dollars, she might as well be charging a wad of chewed gum.

The Amazing Spider-Man

This cabbie is all right with me.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

This has been your regular reminder that the 50's were a different time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I legit want an ongoing series about this guy.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Gift bows. When my grandmother died, I found a walk-in closet with floor-to-ceiling garbage bags full of gift bows.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Goober Peas posted:

Gift bows. When my grandmother died, I found a walk-in closet with floor-to-ceiling garbage bags full of gift bows.

"Save the bows" is a running joke in my family whenever gifts are exchanged.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I legit want an ongoing series about this guy.

He's been in comics since 1961. That's a pretty good run.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

Oh my god. There is not a :allears: big enough.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo says Oo-ee-oo-ah-ah, ting-tang-walla-walla-bing-bang. (June 11-13, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Two (September 4-7, 1952)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I hope the cabbie is a recurring character from now on. :allears:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So when does Peanuts turn into an unending parade of anxiety and self doubt that everybody seems to love so much

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

p.s. luann :butt:

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 12, 2015

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ghostlight posted:

I have no explanations for these things.

Don't argue with your voices, Ghostlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EQP66u9y_o

EasyEW posted:

Does anybody else find it improbable that Luann's first college art class is a perfect storm of conceptual intimidation? Or did I miss the semester where she learned the fundamentals (figure drawing, sculpture, watercolors, etc. because that's how it happened to me*) before getting tossed into the deep end? Nobody should be asked to break the rules before they know what the rules are.

(* Full disclosure: I dead-ended in a community college art program, so the standards may be slightly different in a proper college/uni.)

No, you're pretty much on spot here - more fundamentals and alcoholism, less conceptual stuff.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Nipponophile posted:

This legitimately made my day.

F Minus

Mary Worth presents The Most Boring Love Story In the World

Rex Morgan MD

Rex is kind of insufferable, isn't he?

Secret Agent X-9

I was wondering why they kept adding an apostrophe to make it 'phone, and then I realized it must be because it's a shortened and I guess slang form of "telephone" and they had to make that clear, whereas today, phone is pretty much accepted as a word. Or something like that. I might be the only one that finds that interesting, but oh well.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

I'm not too crazy about this updated version of Raine Dog.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Johnny Walker posted:

I was wondering why they kept adding an apostrophe to make it 'phone, and then I realized it must be because it's a shortened and I guess slang form of "telephone" and they had to make that clear, whereas today, phone is pretty much accepted as a word. Or something like that. I might be the only one that finds that interesting, but oh well.

It's fascinating to me too. I keep wondering when it changed from "U-m-m-m-m" and "Oh-oh" to "Mmm-mm" or "Hmmm" and "Uh-oh" whenever they come up in the old comics.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

And on that occasion, Pastis' work day ended at 6:10 am.

Pros & Cons

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

I absolutely cannot explain why I am finding this whole thing so entertaining. It's a big snit over cargo containers

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

"A Vail"? Apparently that's a Jewish thing? Google doesn't shed any light on it.

9 Chickweed Lane 6/12/2004

Apparently, he's still using this character.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Kahleesi!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kliban

"A Vail"? Apparently that's a Jewish thing? Google doesn't shed any light on it.

I think it's just meant to be a cartoon version of a Yiddish accent. In which case, that big creature is a vail.

That doesn't explain why the vail talks back, though, so maybe not..

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There something very wrong with a mid 40sish woman obsessing over having a perfect birthday and expecting her teenage son to go all out, and threatening her husband if he doesn't.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul de sac

:unsmith: maybe he'll make a friend that isn't partially imaginary.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

TofuDiva posted:

I think it's just meant to be a cartoon version of a Yiddish accent. In which case, that big creature is a vail.

That doesn't explain why the vail talks back, though, so maybe not..

Dammit. I did not even see that. It makes sense now. I was reading it as some sort of a phrase like Oy Vey.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Haha, back to the Cartoon Camp arc already? I think that's what drew me into Cul-de-Sac in the first place.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set washes, rinses, and repeats.

Working Daze goes to the movies.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is introspective.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You really shouldn't call your mom a fag, Jeremy.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (April 13, 1928)

Peanuts, in which America's Favorite Beagle runs from his social obligations. (June 7, 1968)

gently caress You, Les Moore

YAY! WE MADE THE MINIMUM EFFORT REQUIRED!

The only reunion more depressing than this one? If the morning paper's any indication, the 60th reunion will be held at a table at a steak house. Not even banquet sized. :smith:

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 2-3, 1927)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is introspective.

Epic/Brutal is my second-favorite Super Fun Pak Comix, right behind Percival Dunwoody, Idiot Time-Traveler From 1909.

• Locked thread