Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009

ChogsEnhour posted:

Care for a game of Mario Kart, Mr. Bond?

No items, Fox only, Final Destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No items would be a crippling handicap for Bond.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kramdar posted:

In the last shot of that room, it shows the phone laying on the table. You can clearly see individual bullet holes in the windowed wall, made by that shotgun. Must have been using slugs, tiny little slugs.

What do you think a shotgun fires? A shell of 00 buckshot from a 12-gauge contains 9 .33" slugs.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
With Civil War coming out reasonably soon, I'm irrationally irritated that Marvel feels it so cripplingly necessary to use every single movie as advertising for the next ones rather than actually telling a goddamn story. It was a little more subtle at the outset of the cinematic universe but Avengers 2 was hamstrung by meandering detours down Sequel Setup Lane and CW doesn't look like it's going to be any different. I just want my stupid baby comic book stories to be done well, is that too much to ask?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Buzkashi posted:

With Civil War coming out reasonably soon, I'm irrationally irritated that Marvel feels it so cripplingly necessary to use every single movie as advertising for the next ones rather than actually telling a goddamn story. It was a little more subtle at the outset of the cinematic universe but Avengers 2 was hamstrung by meandering detours down Sequel Setup Lane and CW doesn't look like it's going to be any different. I just want my stupid baby comic book stories to be done well, is that too much to ask?

Once again, Days of Future Past is the best comic movie ever made. It actually had a comic-book style plot.

Need more movies like that.

It did kinda reboot their canon but the movie wasn't all spent in building things up, it just did its own story.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Insidious, the dad is a high school teacher. How are they moving into all these gigantic loving houses on his salary?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

With Civil War coming out reasonably soon, I'm irrationally irritated that Marvel feels it so cripplingly necessary to use every single movie as advertising for the next ones rather than actually telling a goddamn story. It was a little more subtle at the outset of the cinematic universe but Avengers 2 was hamstrung by meandering detours down Sequel Setup Lane and CW doesn't look like it's going to be any different.

What exactly were they setting up? They had a bit just on the outskirts of Wakananda, but it perfectly fit in with the plot. Of course the robot would want to build himself out of the invincible metal. They didn't say a word about Black Panther, and only at the most set up the origin for Claw in all of that. The point of that whole scene was to show how the twins could be a threat to the Avengers. Otherwise, there wasn't anything about Strange, Ant-Man, GotG2, etc in there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IUG posted:

What exactly were they setting up? They had a bit just on the outskirts of Wakananda, but it perfectly fit in with the plot. Of course the robot would want to build himself out of the invincible metal. They didn't say a word about Black Panther, and only at the most set up the origin for Claw in all of that. The point of that whole scene was to show how the twins could be a threat to the Avengers. Otherwise, there wasn't anything about Strange, Ant-Man, GotG2, etc in there.

Little about Thor 3.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

IUG posted:

Don't forget the awkwardly-shoehorned scene where Thor went swimming and had a prophetic vision of the plot to Avengers: Infinity War.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Patattack posted:

Don't forget the awkwardly-shoehorned scene where Thor went swimming and had a prophetic vision of the plot to Avengers: Infinity War.

I am pretty sure that is for Thor 3 and has nothing to do with Avengers 3. If anyone had a vision in regards to Infinity War its Iron Man.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure that is for Thor 3 and has nothing to do with Avengers 3. If anyone had a vision in regards to Infinity War its Iron Man.

Really? I thought you were referring to Thor's Scarlet Witch hallucination about Heimdall and Hel and stuff. I don't know anything about the plot to Thor 3, but Thor's later vision in the water with Skarsgard was all about the Infinity Gauntlet and the Infinity Gems, which is kind of Thanos' whole thing.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

oldpainless posted:

In Insidious, the dad is a high school teacher. How are they moving into all these gigantic loving houses on his salary?

Haha, seriously. "Oh no I think our new giant house is haunted!" *Hires a 5-man moving company to move into another giant rental house*

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Patattack posted:

Really? I thought you were referring to Thor's Scarlet Witch hallucination about Heimdall and Hel and stuff. I don't know anything about the plot to Thor 3, but Thor's later vision in the water with Skarsgard was all about the Infinity Gauntlet and the Infinity Gems, which is kind of Thanos' whole thing.

All I know about Thor 3 is its called Ragnarok. I forgot that the second vision was mostly about the gems and how they should allow the creation of Vision.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Guardians of the Galaxy's sequel hints were also pretty awkwardly shoehorned in, especially if you aren't familiar with the Marvel Universe. They could have just had Rhonan searching for the stone in order to destroy Xandar or impose his will on the universe. But instead he's working for another guy who doesn't do anything except make a threat he doesn't follow up on because Rhonan's dead at the end. Unless you know that they're building up to a universe-shattering megacrossover based on an one of Marvel's most popular miniseries.

I also think Thanos should have threatened Loki directly in the first Avengers, instead of his servant, so people less familiar who didn't stay to the end would have a slightly less difficult time understanding that this guy was a universal threat.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Jun 12, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy's sequel hints were also pretty awkwardly shoehorned in, especially if you aren't familiar with the Marvel Universe. They could have just had Rhonan searching for the stone in order to destroy Xandar or impose his will on the universe. But instead he's working for another guy who doesn't do anything except make a threat he doesn't follow up on because Rhonan's dead at the end. Unless you know that they're building up to a universe-shattering megacrossover based on an one of Marvel's most popular miniseries.

Then how do you explain Gamora and her sister? The fact that they were Thanos's daughters is important.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

CaptainViolence posted:

It was a remnant from the book that got thrown into the movie and changed a little bit. In the book, Grant actually figures out that the Rex can't see him if he's still during the vehicle attack, not the beginning. It, along with the gender-changing stuff, is part of the subplot about how the dinosaurs aren't really dinosaurs since they've been so genetically modified with the frog DNA.

Which was based on research at the time of writing that was later discredited I believe. Current thinking is that T-Rex was a hunter but also would scavenge and do do those jobs you need to be able to have good eye sight and a good nose.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Phanatic posted:

What do you think a shotgun fires? A shell of 00 buckshot from a 12-gauge contains 9 .33" slugs.

Here's what I was talking about in Jurassic Park. I imagined a phone shown off the hook. But this isn't too irrational.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Little about Thor 3.

Patattack posted:

I did forget about this, and had no idea what that was about. I figured that they were talking about that Ultron was going to kill the universe, including Asgard, and that's what the scene meant. Point taken, that was confusing as hell to me.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

IUG posted:

I did forget about this, and had no idea what that was about. I figured that they were talking about that Ultron was going to kill the universe, including Asgard, and that's what the scene meant. Point taken, that was confusing as hell to me.

The studio forced Wedon to keep that in. He wanted to cut it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So where exactly do you go from Infinity Wars? Is that when Marvel reboots everything? Eevery single movie is just dumb foreshadowing for an even greater threat and it doesn't get any greater than Infinity Wars.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So where exactly do you go from Infinity Wars? Is that when Marvel reboots everything? Eevery single movie is just dumb foreshadowing for an even greater threat and it doesn't get any greater than Infinity Wars.

Ego the living Planet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hopefully that'll force them to change and focus on more self-contained stories than trying to build huge cinematic arcs with movies (do that in miniseries you dummies) but who am I kidding.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Zaphod42 posted:

Hopefully that'll force them to change and focus on more self-contained stories than trying to build huge cinematic arcs with movies (do that in miniseries you dummies) but who am I kidding.

I wish the Civil War storyline was the one being broken out into two big Avengers movies. There is more than enough story to tell.
Doing it as a Captain America movie seems like a lovely thing to do to Chris Evans.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

I wish the Civil War storyline was the one being broken out into two big Avengers movies. There is more than enough story to tell.
Doing it as a Captain America movie seems like a lovely thing to do to Chris Evans.

You know what'd be interesting is if instead of doing two movies chronologically they did two movies simultaneously.

Like you have Captain America: Civil War and then you have Spiderman: Civil War. Each weaves through the other but they show different sides of the conflict. I guess one would be a spoiler for the other, though.

Can't happen for a number of reasons including rights ownership, but man that's the way the comics do it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Personally I'd be happy if they just filmed the good bits of the civil war storyline. They could then attach it as a 5 minute stinger on ant man and base the next cap movie on a good story instead.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Krinkle posted:

I feel like when I go to canistream.it the answer is no for literally every movie I try lately but for some reason this is on netflix so i'm 20 minutes in and this is a good movie so far but drat this guy is leaving evidence everywhere. I couldn't tell if you wanted people to watch this movie because he'd say nothing when he killed someone or because 80% of the movie was him explaining why he was going to do it but now I know. Like if someone said they hated mexican stand offs I'd tell them to watch a few dollars more because it has the best mexican stand off in it.

e:haha goddamn I've never seen someone who attempted field surgery from a wound they can't go to the hospital or police for, give up because it hurts so goddamn much and go to the hospital anyway. In every movie when an Anton Chigurh type bears down and starts digging out a bullet and sewing up a wound they grimly and stoically continue until the job is done and they're back on the hunt. This guy gets 80% through it and passes out in the emergency room. This movie is great.

Don't know if it was in the movie and it would still hurt like hell but in the book he definitely grabs some hydrocodone from the pharmacy

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Zaphod42 posted:

You know what'd be interesting is if instead of doing two movies chronologically they did two movies simultaneously.

Like you have Captain America: Civil War and then you have Spiderman: Civil War. Each weaves through the other but they show different sides of the conflict. I guess one would be a spoiler for the other, though.

Can't happen for a number of reasons including rights ownership, but man that's the way the comics do it.

This is what kept me from ever getting into comics. Random character popping in to elude to other stuff happening, or past events I'm supposed to know about. Annoying as hell.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is what kept me from ever getting into comics. Random character popping in to elude to other stuff happening, or past events I'm supposed to know about. Annoying as hell.

Ah yes, the dreaded "[See Amazing Spider-Man #256! -ed]" boxes. I've always stuck to self-contained comics myself, which generally excludes most Marvel and DC titles.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Frostwerks posted:

Don't know if it was in the movie and it would still hurt like hell but in the book he definitely grabs some hydrocodone from the pharmacy

I'm not sure which of the two movies I mentioned is the one you're referring to, but in no country for old men, yes he injected a pain reliever before digging out a bullet, in blue ruin, no he did not. He poured hydrogen peroxide in the wound and screamed.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Grendels Dad posted:

Similarly, serial killers in shows don't need sleep. Any sleep. At all. People like Dexter will get home sometime between 2 and 3 in the morning, get up at 7 and make their opening credits breakfast and then work through a 10-hour day and then do it all over again. No way does someone like that live like this for more than one year before simply dropping dead.

I hate this lovely fuckign show so much but I abandoned the realism argument the very second I recognized it as a superhero series.

Krinkle posted:

I'm not sure which of the two movies I mentioned is the one you're referring to, but in no country for old men, yes he injected a pain reliever before digging out a bullet, in blue ruin, no he did not. He poured hydrogen peroxide in the wound and screamed.

Ah, forgot about the syringe. But in the book it definitely mentiones a bottle of hydrocodone.

Frostwerks has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Jun 13, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

They should have made it a thing where he takes naps at work like george costanza because it's a central conceit of the show that he's just bad enough at his job to let murderers go unpunished.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krinkle posted:

They should have made it a thing where he takes naps at work like george costanza because it's a central conceit of the show that he's just bad enough at his job to let murderers go unpunished.

Except he's actually supposedly really good at his job, they're always talking about how great he is at it. And in the early seasons I think his thing was just going after people the law couldn't reach, who got away with it. I think it's only later he started actually competing with the cops to get to the killer first.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

In general I agree and that's why I stick to one-off comics like Red Son or offshoots like Sandman that only rarely have to do with anything outside their own world.

But Civil War was really well done.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tiggum posted:

Except he's actually supposedly really good at his job, they're always talking about how great he is at it. And in the early seasons I think his thing was just going after people the law couldn't reach, who got away with it. I think it's only later he started actually competing with the cops to get to the killer first.

After all these years, I finally finished Dexter and the last season had me yelling at the TV all the time.
gently caress spoilers, here we go!

Deb falls into a coma unceremoniously from a gunshot, the killer tries to kill her for reasons I forgot in the hospital. He's arrested and Dexter provokes him to stab Dexter in his holding cell so that he could murder the killer with a pen in front of the security camera.

No loving way would he get away with it except his cop buddies don't care anymore.

Then Dexter kills Deb by unhooking her from life support during a hurricane. He waltzes out with her body, not a single person cares, he hops on his boat and dumps her at sea.

He then drives his boat into the storm and kills himself. His son is with his girlfriend and they are off to be happy in Argentina.

Okay, lovely ending BUT OH WAIT!
Cut to some mystery bearded man working at a lumber mill.
OH gently caress it's Dexter and he's alive! Why did you drive into the storm? Was it to make people think you were dead? The storm was coming, your boat was hosed.
The 4th wall was broken to the benefit of no one to make the flaccid "happy" ending.
gently caress Dexter. gently caress that show.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tiggum posted:

To be fair, the early seasons also try to establish that the Miami Police Department is staffed by morons, so I could believe that they aren't in any position to assess Dexter's qualities. But yeah, the show made a point about how Dexter was a genius in his field of work, plus the MPD somehow learned to be competent along the way so that interesting bit went nowhere.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Zaphod42 posted:

In general I agree and that's why I stick to one-off comics like Red Son or offshoots like Sandman that only rarely have to do with anything outside their own world.

But Civil War was really well done.

I didn't think civil war was that great but I did like that nobody wanted Punisher on their team. Red Son would make an amazing movie. It would probably be the last Superman story anyone would ever make a movie of, but it would sure be cool. I guess a complaint I have is that superhero movies are never based off of the raddest story lines. If somehow the DC universe ever goes the Marvel Cinematic Universe route I would love to see a movie adaptation of New Frontier. Embrace the schlocky 50s comic camp.

E: haha I am glad I quit Dexter after the first few seasons. Why does he do that to his sister?

Two Free Toppings has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Jun 13, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He probably couldn't stand another moment of her horrendous acting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From what I remember back when it aired, the people making the show didn't really want to do the lumberjack ending but Showtime wouldn't let them kill Dexter off.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
"Insane-asaurus Rex is the FIRST genetically engineered dinosaur!"

No it's not. Every dino in the JP franchise is part loving frog. So no, they are not 'pure' dinosaurs. All of them have been genetically engineered.

I'd like to see a GOOD Lantern Corps movie. Dex-Starr would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Ignite Memories posted:

He probably couldn't stand another moment of her horrendous acting.

She is so goddamn bad. And a very odd looking lady as well. I just read summaries of the seasons I didn't watch. Glad I wasted twenty minutes of my life instead of twenty hours. I really did like the first couple of seasons and I still think it is a pretty cool idea for a show - I wonder if the book is any better.