Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Just a heads up, some Cinemark theaters are going to be showing The Terminator on the 14th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't think Connor being a terminator is a "plot twist" to get upset about trailers spoiling. The trailers clearly aren't making any effort to hide it and leaks earlier in the thread said Connor gets turned into a terminator within the first ten minutes of the movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

Every one of the movies I listed is a "franchise" movie, and is outright better than earlier movies in the franchise. Saying "every franchise inevitably nosedives and never recovers" is objectively false, not to mention it's a meaningless logical fallacy anyway.

Except for TF4. It was hard but they managed to take the franchise to a new low with that film.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

Except for TF4. It was hard but they managed to take the franchise to a new low with that film.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I felt TF4 was a huge step up from 2 and 3. Non-repulsive protagonist, Autobots with distinct personalities and actual screen time and dialogue, easy to follow action, three distinct villains each with their own easy to follow, interesting agendas... I absolutely thought the 4th movie was a major improvement, and I'd go as far as to say it's the best Transformers movie to date.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I felt TF4 was a huge step up from 2 and 3. Non-repulsive protagonist, Autobots with distinct personalities and actual screen time and dialogue, easy to follow action, three distinct villains each with their own easy to follow, interesting agendas... I absolutely thought the 4th movie was a major improvement, and I'd go as far as to say it's the best Transformers movie to date.

DOTM had Spock.

I rest my case

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are we arguing about what varying levels of trash The Transformers movies are?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
James Cameron apparently saw an early screening of Genisys and appears to be saying it should be considered as the "third" terminator film. I find this amusing since he praised Terminator 3 back in 2003 as in "one word: great". Terminator 3 is a solid action flick IMO. The car chase, the T-800 vs TX fight, even some of the dialogue/plot were good, and in the last 3 minutes of the film where John and Catherine realize that the Bunker is for surviving Judgement Day rather than stopping it was genuinely :tviv: when I first saw it in the theater. Terminator 3 was R and used mostly practical effects and stunts as well. Genisys looks like its going to be the opposite of that along with a PG13 rating.

:ughh:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Xenomrph posted:

You might not be aware of it, but neither of those comments actually refuted anything I said.

Every one of the movies I listed is a "franchise" movie, and is outright better than earlier movies in the franchise. Saying "every franchise inevitably nosedives and never recovers" is objectively false, not to mention it's a meaningless logical fallacy anyway.

I think the response was to things like you picking Freddy vs Jason as better than the first movie instead of, you know, Dream Warriors. I like Freddy vs Jason quite a bit, but no way in hell is it better than Dream Warriors.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just saw the trailer at the cinema and is it just me or are all the endoskeleton (or whatever they're called) robot parts cgi instead of prosthetics?

Like even the stuff on Arnie's face?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

I think the response was to things like you picking Freddy vs Jason as better than the first movie instead of, you know, Dream Warriors. I like Freddy vs Jason quite a bit, but no way in hell is it better than Dream Warriors.

It's not even really better than 4 (4, while silly, fully embraced the wave of popularity the series was at the time and added to 3 with even more excess and creativity when it came to powers/deaths).

As far as all the movies go, I'd probably say (N = nightmare, F=Friday):

N3, N1, N4 = F2 = NN, F6 = F4, FvJ...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

I just saw the trailer at the cinema and is it just me or are all the endoskeleton (or whatever they're called) robot parts cgi instead of prosthetics?

If I was like 65 years old and still the driving force behind a massively popular movie franchise, I'd use my leverage to avoid sitting in a makeup chair for 4 hours every morning too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Xenomrph posted:

It shouldn't surprise anyone here that you loved TF4 which was loving terrible trash. A spastic mess of action and jumping around the world.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kin posted:

:laffo: If this is true. Maybe it's so all of the effects mesh better on screen? I feel like the Terminator face damage thing is so iconic that they could have easily done it with make up and no one would have cared/it may have looked better. Maybe for PG-13 purposes there are limits to how "bloody" make up could be and they could do it cheaply and more easily this way?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

:laffo: If this is true. Maybe it's so all of the effects mesh better on screen? I feel like the Terminator face damage thing is so iconic that they could have easily done it with make up and no one would have cared/it may have looked better. Maybe for PG-13 purposes there are limits to how "bloody" make up could be and they could do it cheaply and more easily this way?

I hate to repeat myself but I really think you're underestimating how much Arnold is probably done with sitting through several hours of prosthetic work before a long day of shooting. I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that he went out of his way to decree there will be no long make-up sessions this time around.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Grendels Dad posted:

I didn't mean that any of the movies I listed are better than the first movies in their franchises, just that they're better than the middle entries.

Vintersorg posted:

It shouldn't surprise anyone here that you loved TF4 which was loving terrible trash. A spastic mess of action and jumping around the world.
And I'm sure you don't have any guilty pleasure bad movies that you enjoy. :jerkbag:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Only the finest taste of movies can grace my eyes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

I hate to repeat myself but I really think you're underestimating how much Arnold is probably done with sitting through several hours of prosthetic work before a long day of shooting. I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that he went out of his way to decree there will be no long make-up sessions this time around.

I doubt that.
http://www.theterminatorfans.com/exclusive-schwarzenegger-terminator-genisys-battle-damage-make-up/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arnold is a cool dude. I'd be so done with this poo poo by now if I was him.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Basebf555 posted:

Arnold is a cool dude. I'd be so done with this poo poo by now if I was him.

It helps that he's totally embraced the ridiculousness of his life and is a super fun man via social media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaGk2_frk_s

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Xenomrph posted:

You might not be aware of it, but neither of those comments actually refuted anything I said.

I'm sorry but the idea that Terminator is "subversive" of anything is laughable.

quote:

I will take your word for it that Transformer 4 is better than Transformers 1. The franchises you listed are almost all so utterly terrible to begin with that it hardly matters whether some of the sequels are marginally better than their predecessors. The existence of these billion dollar franchises just illustrates how terrible 'franchise starter' movies usually turn out to be. They're made based on the calculation that nerds will keep paying to see one bad movie after another as long as it has the correct branding.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Helsing posted:

I will take your word for it that Transformer 4 is better than Transformers 1. The franchises you listed are almost all so utterly terrible to begin with that it hardly matters whether some of the sequels are marginally better than their predecessors. The existence of these billion dollar franchises just illustrates how terrible 'franchise starter' movies usually turn out to be. They're made based on the calculation that nerds will keep paying to see one bad movie after another as long as it has the correct branding.

Every single big budget movie is made based on the calculation there will be a market for it. You seem to want to make it an internet thing or a nerd thing but its simply the way the movie industry is, and always has been. Its a business, people don't lay out millions and millions of dollars without expecting a return on the investment.

The list of "franchises" that have latched onto a safe formula and ran it into the ground is endless. It happened to Batman twice before the internet was a thing, it happened to James Bond, Dirty Harry, Rambo, Rocky, Lethal Weapon, and on and on. Its just not something that's worth spending time worrying about, all you can do is go to the movies you want to see an stay away from the ones you don't.

Even without a gigantic budget, "branding" has always been a concern. Christopher Lee openly talked about how he wanted to quit playing Dracula, but the producers would come to him and explain that the movie wouldn't get greenlit without him attached, and all the people working on it would be out of a job. Nobody seemed to care that Lee barely appeared in the later entries, they could put him on the poster and attract an audience based on his presence alone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is absolutely nothing subversive about a Terminator film retconning 'canon.' That has been a part of the series since the very beginning where Skynet intended to do so and failed and where everyone has been attempting to do it in every film since. Terminator 2 already presents a theoretical diversion from the expected timeline it is just that we didn't SEE the original timeline except in brief flashbacks.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
No one can possibly defend Saw 6

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Well, it's not Saw 4/5.

Also, Hoffman killing all of those cops in the police station was pretty brutal.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Helsing posted:

I'm sorry but the idea that Terminator is "subversive" of anything is laughable
Why?

ImpAtom posted:

There is absolutely nothing subversive about a Terminator film retconning 'canon.' That has been a part of the series since the very beginning where Skynet intended to do so and failed and where everyone has been attempting to do it in every film since. Terminator 2 already presents a theoretical diversion from the expected timeline it is just that we didn't SEE the original timeline except in brief flashbacks.
I wouldn't even call it "retconning canon" since we're talking about time travel and the ramifications of it. Right from the first movie, it's not clear how time travel actually objectively works for an outside observer, and every movie since has sort of hosed with things to certain degrees, but this new movie is the first time we're full on seeing the consequences of the fuckery and I find that really interesting. Does the Sarah Connor from Genisys know that Kyle is "supposed" to be John's father? If so, how does that change things? Do they have sex because that's what's "supposed" to happen, even if perhaps she doesn't actually love him since she's been literally raised since childhood by a Terminator? Maybe the "endgame" of all this is that in this timeline, Kyle isn't John's father, and this ends up looping around to become the "original" timeline you're referring to, becoming a huge meta-loop for the series. Maybe it's just a timeline branch that dead-ends, or maybe something else entirely, who knows?

We don't know how it'll play out, and frankly that makes me excited to see what they do with it. Much more excited than I was with the plots of T3 or Salvation, for sure.

vainman posted:

Saw 6 is clever because it thematically tied all the victims/traps together under the umbrella of "universal healthcare", and it's also the only movie in the series where you really feel like the person being "tested" learns something from the whole ordeal and then he gets brutally murdered anyway.
And yeah, it's a colossal step up from 4 and 5.

Caros
May 14, 2008

vainman posted:

Saw 6 is amazing.

:) - "I call this the shotgun trap. You will have to minorly injure yourself to save two people from dying. The other four will be shot in the head so you can learn a lesson. Oh and at the end you will also die. Because you denied me experimental cancer treatment that probably wouldn't have done poo poo."

Its right up there with the machine gun trap from the last one in terms of What the fuckedness.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

vainman posted:

It's not as good as the first two, but it's better than 3, and beats the gently caress out of 4, 5, and 7.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah, for the sixth sequel in a horror franchise that had been sharply declining since the third one, Saw 6 is way, way more competent than it has any right to be.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Saw 6 straight up forgot the plot of the previous movies

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Like whatever you like, I guess, but the only thing competent about Saw 6 was the camera was on

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

vainman posted:

Saw 6 straight up forgot the plot of the previous movies

I mean, given that the plot in question disappeared entirely up its own rear end very quickly I think it kinda works in the movie's favor. :v:

e: like, don't get me wrong, 6 is no great shakes and doesn't match the first two, but after 4 and 5 it was a loving oasis in the desert. Literally the one good thing about 4 was that it brought X Japan partly out of retirement.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The "genius" of the Saw series is I very quickly forget which one is which, but I know there are one or two solid entries in there somewhere. This, combined with my movie-OCD leads to me rewatching the entire drat series just to get them straight in my memory again. Like, I know there was a sequel that I thought was really good, but I can't remember if it was 5, 6, or 7.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

The "genius" of the Saw series is I very quickly forget which one is which, but I know there are one or two solid entries in there somewhere. This, combined with my movie-OCD leads to me rewatching the entire drat series just to get them straight in my memory again. Like, I know there was a sequel that I thought was really good, but I can't remember if it was 5, 6, or 7.

3 & 4 take place simultaneously, and they bring back Detective Matthews |(briefly and hilariously) which is great, but they both have a lot of the Jigsaw backstory stuff which I thought was kind of lame.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I love how the Terminator thread has turned into a discussion about the Saw movies. Is that how much people are anticipating Genisys?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm reasonably hyped but think it's crap they gave away so much in the trailer unless it's, like someone joked, the first 30 minutes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

I'm reasonably hyped but think it's crap they gave away so much in the trailer unless it's, like someone joked, the first 30 minutes.

If leaks are accurate, the trailers have shown almost literally the entire film in terms of set pieces, as well as how the T-Connor dies.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

If leaks are accurate, the trailers have shown almost literally the entire film in terms of set pieces, as well as how the T-Connor dies.

...gently caress THIS MOVIE...gently caress THE STUDIO....gently caress IT ALL AND BURN EVERYTHING TO THE GROUND

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
It's doesn't have an R rating so gently caress this. Terminator III at least kept the violence and profanity from the first two films. The action sequences look like they'll be some weightless marvel poo poo as well. :mediocre:

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Rewatched all four Terminator movies recently. What stands out is how badass Linda Hamilton was in T2. If you watch T1 and T2 back to back her physical changes are dramatic. Her PTSD kept things moving and created urgency prior to the terminator fireworks.

Other thoughts: Furlong was pretty bad. Stahl was pretty good. T3 is not bad and T4 is not good.

T4 had a few good scenes and potential. The fatal flaw in T4 was having a human terminator vs a terminator that looks like a human. That didn't work. It fell flat. I never cared what happened to Marcus. I was left waiting for the cat / mouse game with terminator vs human that drove the first two films. Instead we had a hodgepodge of random human vs machine that never developed the same drama. The Mad Max car chase began to build up some old Terminator feel but once Reese was jailed the film lost momentum (and the motorcycle terminators were kinda dumb and Transformer-ish) and honestly Bale was so bad I was hoping he would get killed. Despite T4's other flaws, that scene is when it truly committed the worst sin, it got boring.

Christian Bale's hoarse shouting archetype is awful and inexcusable for him and the Director. How do you get a lead role based on that horrible characterization? Bale ruined Dark Knight and T4 with that crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Basebf555 posted:

Every single big budget movie is made based on the calculation there will be a market for it. You seem to want to make it an internet thing or a nerd thing but its simply the way the movie industry is, and always has been. Its a business, people don't lay out millions and millions of dollars without expecting a return on the investment.

The list of "franchises" that have latched onto a safe formula and ran it into the ground is endless. It happened to Batman twice before the internet was a thing, it happened to James Bond, Dirty Harry, Rambo, Rocky, Lethal Weapon, and on and on. Its just not something that's worth spending time worrying about, all you can do is go to the movies you want to see an stay away from the ones you don't.

Even without a gigantic budget, "branding" has always been a concern. Christopher Lee openly talked about how he wanted to quit playing Dracula, but the producers would come to him and explain that the movie wouldn't get greenlit without him attached, and all the people working on it would be out of a job. Nobody seemed to care that Lee barely appeared in the later entries, they could put him on the poster and attract an audience based on his presence alone.

I think the big difference here is that the franchises you listed (with the exception of the Hammer era Dracula) started out movies that were intended to succeed on their own terms. After their initial successes they degenerated more or less quickly into tired old franchsies that relaibly cranked out sequels until they became unprofitable but the initial movies that started these genres were written and directed on their own terms.

It feels as though in contemporary Hollywood there's much more pressure to have every intellectual property be or immediately turn into a major franchise that accomplishes a checklist of elements. It feels as though movies of the past, while still very derivative, tended to provide more space for directors and writers to experiment or try new things. Ironically it would be much harder to greenlight the original Terminator in today's Hollywood universe because it wouldn't be plugging into a pre-existing franchise.

It's fair of you to point out that most of what I'm complaining about predates the internet or modern fan culture so I guess I should revise my claim to say that these things really haven't helped the quality of movies (which, if you were a naive observer, you might think that they would) even if they can't specifically be blamed for causing movies to be so lovely much of the time.

Because it's a branded product created to deliver a predictable amount of profit to it's investors. It's like saying that Vanilla Coke is "subversive" because it breaks with the old assumptions about Coca Cola's brand as a universal expression of American values that would be equally enjoyed by all without any variations in flavor. I mean yeah, in some very trite and irrelevant way you could claim that T2 is "subversive" toward T1 because the villain returns as the hero, but once you've used that maneuvere once that's it - repeating it again and again is not subverting anything, it's just a way for the producer/director/script writer to stimulate the audience in the pursuit of a proper return on investment.

• Locked thread