Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
See but I don't understand how this is still possible in 2015. Can't you just show some amazing images of Mars, random, fast paced action scenes, voiceover, and be done with it, like the Mad Max/Interstellar trailers? Why the gently caress do you have to tell me all the big plot points one by one.

It's like in the trailer making process there's this drooling mongoloid either from the studio or from the trailer company that just shows up and is somehow allowed to produce 2 lovely mins of spoilers. It bothers me to no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Spoilers aren't that big of a deal for a lot of people.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Kawabata posted:

See but I don't understand how this is still possible in 2015. Can't you just show some amazing images of Mars, random, fast paced action scenes, voiceover, and be done with it, like the Mad Max/Interstellar trailers? Why the gently caress do you have to tell me all the big plot points one by one.

It's like in the trailer making process there's this drooling mongoloid either from the studio or from the trailer company that just shows up and is somehow allowed to produce 2 lovely mins of spoilers. It bothers me to no end.

Surlaw posted:

Spoilers aren't that big of a deal for a lot of people.

Yeah, the movie studios know what works and what doesn't to put asses in seats, and from their research people don't care about being spoiled.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Yeah, the movie studios know what works and what doesn't to put asses in seats, and from their research people don't care about being spoiled.

The trailers for Mad Max or Interstellar didn't work?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kawabata posted:

The trailers for Mad Max or Interstellar didn't work?

Interstellar's later trailers spoiled that it would take place on an ice planet and one with giant waves, along with the whole "oh hey we need to go into space" aspect. It's just about as bad in terms of the amount of the movie covered.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

computer parts posted:

Interstellar's later trailers spoiled that it would take place on an ice planet and one with giant waves, along with the whole "oh hey we need to go into space" aspect. It's just about as bad in terms of the amount of the movie covered.

That's just the Nolan trailer process. If you look up the trailers for any of his movies they always play out the same. You have a short teaser that shows nothing. Then trailer 1 which elaborates on the teaser without giving much. Trailer 2 adds the action as you get close to release. Trailer 3 spoils it all and comes out a week or two before release.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

They already made a movie titled 'The Program' that deals with PEDs, what the gently caress. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107889/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

teagone posted:

They already made a movie titled 'The Program' that deals with PEDs, what the gently caress. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107889/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
It's like that one time in the 90s when there were multiple movies about Steve Prefontaine.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

computer parts posted:

No it's not. It's cool to see the waves and you have no idea how the movie will go, no way to predict how it will end, and most of the plot points remain obscure.

And yeah I'm sure the whole "oh hey we need to go into space" aspect was a massive spoiler and completely unexpected in a movie called Interstellar.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kawabata posted:

The problem isn't the trailer house and it isn't the "drooling mongoloid" senior vice president of marketing. The drooling mongoloid is either the director or you yourself, the two people to blame for not wanting to see a movie based on a spoiler-free trailer. Trailers are designed to convince people to see movies and they're tested on people just like you before it hits theaters. Clearly in this instance the audience wants scope and story or it looks too much like another Mars movie devoid of unique characteristics. If it bothers you to no end, look in the mirror because you are the audience and therefore part of the problem.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kawabata posted:

No it's not. It's cool to see the waves and you have no idea how the movie will go, no way to predict how it will end, and most of the plot points remain obscure.

And yeah I'm sure the whole "oh hey we need to go into space" aspect was a massive spoiler and completely unexpected in a movie called Interstellar.

I'm sure a rescue mission in a film about a guy being stranded on Mars was totally unexpected too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Huh, looks kinda...good?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

computer parts posted:

I'm sure a rescue mission in a film about a guy being stranded on Mars was totally unexpected too.

I think you're missing the point.

The trailer shows the preparation for the mission, the mission itself, how it goes wrong and he's believed dead, how he manages to survive on the planet, his first attempts at sending a message to earth that eventually comes through and his former colleagues organizing a secret rescue party because apparently NASA doesn't want to acknowledge he's alive. The only thing you don't know is if the rescue party will be successful, the rest of the movie is basically there.

You're comparing this to Interstellar trailer where the only "revealed" plot point is that humanity has to leave earth. The blight is explained 15 minutes into the movie. No one had the slightest idea of what was about to happen in the movie(Matt Damon's role - he isn't even in the trailer ffs - , how they find NASA, the tesseract, the ghost) except that something at some point goes wrong because otherwise you have no movie at all.

I understand how studios think and they definitely know how to put asses in seats, as exemplified by all the Transformers movies. I suppose the same line of reasoning goes into those kind of trailers; luckily I'm not the target audience, so the mirror is not for me.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 11, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kawabata posted:

Well, here's the Teaser trailer, which is more along those lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGVlxiWvLk

Maybe it didn't test well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kawabata posted:

The trailer shows the preparation for the mission, the mission itself, how it goes wrong and he's believed dead, how he manages to survive on the planet, his first attempts at sending a message to earth that eventually comes through and his former colleagues organizing a secret rescue party because apparently NASA doesn't want to acknowledge he's alive. The only thing you don't know is if the rescue party will be successful, the rest of the movie is basically there.

You're comparing this to Interstellar trailer where the only "revealed" plot point is that humanity has to leave earth. The blight is explained 15 minutes into the movie. No one had the slightest idea of what was about to happen in the movie(Matt Damon's role - he isn't even in the trailer ffs - , how they find NASA, the tesseract, the ghost) except that something at some point goes wrong because otherwise you have no movie at all.

How they find NASA isn't important compared with them finding NASA in the first place. The Interstellar trailer depicts them going through space, past Saturn, into the wormhole, going to the wave planet, and going to the ice planet. The only ambiguity is related to the utterly fantastical parts of the film which don't have an equivalent in The Martian.

If the reason why you wanted to see Interstellar was "epic space exploration" then yes, the trailer spoiled all of that for you.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looks fun. I was sold on the first trailer though. Also, Elizabeth Debicki and Alicia Vikander :allears: :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMAsKwv61HU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Will it feature Lance laying down on the yellow line in moving traffic?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

smackfu posted:

Well, here's the Teaser trailer, which is more along those lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGVlxiWvLk

Maybe it didn't test well.

That is footage from another Mars film The Last Days on Mars with a clickbait title. There's been no teaser for The Martian .

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

kiimo posted:

The problem isn't the trailer house and it isn't the "drooling mongoloid" senior vice president of marketing. The drooling mongoloid is either the director or you yourself, the two people to blame for not wanting to see a movie based on a spoiler-free trailer. Trailers are designed to convince people to see movies and they're tested on people just like you before it hits theaters. Clearly in this instance the audience wants scope and story or it looks too much like another Mars movie devoid of unique characteristics. If it bothers you to no end, look in the mirror because you are the audience and therefore part of the problem.

I take responsibility for this, I like knowing the story before going in so I can focus on everything else. It's my fault, I'm sorry.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh man, I'm glad that I'm not the first one to think of that movie when I heard The Program.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Young Freud posted:

Oh man, I'm glad that I'm not the first one to think of that movie when I heard The Program.

That movie was too hardcore for me, it used to freak me the hell out.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

kiimo posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mFEzW1Z6TRM

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RIP MCD. Man that hurts, loved that dude.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Kawabata posted:

Having read the book...
This describes the first half of it, and that's if you cut out the true meat of the movie which is the character's physical and mental struggle to survive. That's touched upon in the trailers, but not in the detail that a trailer can allow.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It will definitely feature a roided-out Lance Armstrong doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsFBYq_h_J0

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Maybe a scene where he and his teammate spit into each other's mouths?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lattimer!!!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The movie you have been waiting for a Lifetime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXzoTZtKY0k

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ummm. I feel like the drunken conversation Will and Kristen had to create that was far more interesting than the actual product. Advertising it is killing the joke and the only thing left is a trashy TV movie from the looks of it, but there is so little in that teaser I could be wrong. If they just play it straight though, I fail to see the appeal.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Really? For me I think I'd prefer it was played straight.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Seems like a waste of comedy chops.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To play it as straight as possible would be extremely funny.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

kiimo posted:

Never trust the CGI in a trailer to be indicative of what the final film will have. Almost always it is finished for the trailer before everything else and can often change for the better.
Having been in an VFX studio at the time of trailer releases, what happens is marketing has been cutting together something and then will call for particular shots to get completed up to a presentable standard for the X amount of frames required. This means an insane amount of crunch time as you have to effectively get shots up to near final status in around two weeks.
Later on these shots will get further refined or tweaked as additional effects elements get completed, such as models or additional backgrounds and so on.

A good example of this is the early Days of Future Past trailer, that was very much early assemblies of backdrops with nothing major towards effects as nothing had really been finalised.

I do know however for the first HG they had no budget and even their equipment was in a pretty sorry state so tracking shots of Mutts running through the forest was made even harder as they didn't have any weights to counter the camera balance.

There was a TON of shots that had to painfully fixed in post, for instance one where Katniss is drawing her bow in a forest at night, the backdrop was floodlit and her underexposed so you had to roto her out and replace the whole frame's background.

The WETA war stories were also amazing. Serkis had such faith in the power of effects that one shot of Thorin being carried by eagles got ten times more complex as an errant light shone through his hair during the camera move resulting in having to do a complete CGI hair replacement.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

To play it as straight as possible would be extremely funny.

That would be the best route, actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Kawabata posted:

Close, but not quite there.

Yeah, the trailer shows a lot, but the reality is the book is more about survival - like any good road trip movie it's about the journey rather than the destination.

Also disco

What you see in the trailer is the premise; things went tits up and Watney is left behind, so he needs to use :science: to survive, get in contact with NASA and find a way off of Mars.

And because you don't stick six people with unresolved tensions and conflicts in an aluminum can for a year round trip breathing recycled air, they're willing to disobey orders in order to get their one of their own back. Also you're wrong about NASA; they have to acknowledge he's alive, because (SPOILER!) they're NASA. And like NASA in real life, they will move heaven and earth to get Mark back, but not at the risk of the surviving astronauts - hence the mutiny. That said, I will concede that the "are you receiving" bit is a tad spoilery, but again it's more about the journey than the end result - how he actually gets to come in contact with NASA is loving amazing.

The trailer shows a lot, but it's really all background stuff to the main story - Watney was doing science, being Macgyver, and trying his damnest not to die.

Besides, the author said that because they're going for a PG-13 rating and they only get to say gently caress once because Americans are strange like that, they use the most memorable gently caress in the first 30 seconds of the movie.

Basically most of the trailer? Yeah that's after the fact will be summed up during the first fifteen minuets of the film.

... Of course it's a Hollywood movie and even though I have faith in Ridley Scott I keep thinking back to Prometheus and :negative:

Rougey fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 12, 2015

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Prometheus owned, so if this is Ridley too I just hope it isn't another Robin Hood situation.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think the original Martian book was self published, so I doubt it even had an editor. That's gotta be tough to adapt faithfully.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

kiimo posted:

Maybe the trailer house just made a lovely spoiler free trailer, which is why it tested poorly? Also I understand your point, but your post is written in a stupid and inflammatory way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

smackfu posted:

I think the original Martian book was self published, so I doubt it even had an editor. That's gotta be tough to adapt faithfully.

Not only that, it was posted serially on the guy's website, was it not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

smackfu posted:

I'd say it's pretty good for an "unedited" book. Incredibly nerdy, but that goes with the territory. Also FWIW, there aren't any major spoilers in that trailer. As Rougey said, it's about the journey. Of course Matt Damon is going to survive, it's how he does it that's interesting.

Megasabin posted:

Maybe the trailer house just made a lovely spoiler free trailer, which is why it tested poorly? Also I understand your point, but your post is written in a stupid and inflammatory way.

So was the post he was responding to, and it's come up several times in this thread before.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 12, 2015

• Locked thread