Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh my god I had no idea we'd actually get to go to another dimension! Everything looks so DIFFERENT and alien :aaa: This is so cool!!!

Edit: we're straight up dimension hopping be still my heart!

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Palpek posted:

I just did the Letho come-back quest and man does his plan to appear to have died not make any sense whatsoever. I mean even Geralt points out to him that the bounty hunters could have made sure they killed him or cut his head off after he "dies" (which would 100% happen considering his infamy) and Letho agrees but then he continues talking about his cunning plan and how Geralt spoiled it as if that didn't matter.

If I recall you can ask him about The possibility of them taking his head and he's says he was willing to take that risk. You can also convince the assassins to take his necklace instead of his head, keeping him alive but also allowing his fake his own death plan to work. When you do this he comments on how useful it was too bring you along

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

alex314 posted:

Probably Griffin armor, that has solid chestpiece instead of leather+chain as other witcher sets do.

Yeah, one is the Griffin armor. I can't remember which the other was.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the P. Tear Griffin Armor at first based on the screenshots, but it's one of those things that looks better when it's in action. I still need to upgrade it so it doesn't look like Geralt is an overgrown babby wearing safety mittens though.

Also, totally dressed myself for the Wake but since it was the nice Nilf clothes Yen was all happy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I can't wear anything but Ursine armor anymore. Armored trenchcoat for my hardboiled medieval detective.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Levantine posted:

I can't wear anything but Ursine armor anymore. Armored trenchcoat for my hardboiled medieval detective.

The ursine armor is loving awesome

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The ursine armor is loving awesome

Tell me about it:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Did anyone else run into any bugs during Gwent: High Stakes?
Specifically, after winning and finding out that the prize money has been stolen, when I go to investigate the room where it happened, I can look at the corpse, see the mark on the floor where they dragged something heavy to the balcony, and that's it. I can't leave the room through the door, and when I jump off the balcony, I don't find anything lying around, either. And I can't get back into the building.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
From what I've been reading, medium armor + signs seems to be underpowered compared to swords + alchemy, so is the light vs heavy armor more of an aesthetic choice, or are people going all in on either light or heavy but not both? Granted I only just got to Vizima so I'm still in the very beginning of the game, I'm just trying to do some planning. My ability points have been going to potions and the mind control sign for dialogue options so far. I'm still not sure if I should be doing light or heavy swordfighting just yet.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fhqwhgads posted:

From what I've been reading, medium armor + signs seems to be underpowered compared to swords + alchemy, so is the light vs heavy armor more of an aesthetic choice, or are people going all in on either light or heavy but not both? Granted I only just got to Vizima so I'm still in the very beginning of the game, I'm just trying to do some planning. My ability points have been going to potions and the mind control sign for dialogue options so far. I'm still not sure if I should be doing light or heavy swordfighting just yet.

I have found that as the game progresses, this is true, though Signs never really become underpowered; they are always good. It's just the pure damage you can poo poo out with alchemy/swords is absurd. For my playstyle, I totally ignore light attack. I heavy attack everything and they just crumble and/or melt.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Real hurthling! posted:

the loading screen says you can fast travel from a boat but i don't get how.

I didnt get on my first boat until many hours in. Now that I have, I only notice like 2 harbors on the entire map. Do I have to explore and unlock new harbors? Like, even for a place I've already explored before because when I went there the first time I didnt "unlock" boats and harbors yet?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Light armor has bonuses to fast attacks and stamina regen, so it lets you do powerful quick strikes, cast a sign or two, and then move away quick to reposition and repeat.
Heavy armor has a negative to stamina regen, so you're a heavily armored tank (albeit a nimble one) that won't be doing as many sign casts.

Medium armor is entirely sign-based, increasing stamina regen and sign intensity but not helping your primary damage output (swords). Great at crowd control since griffin armor + griffin technique skill + slotted sign skills + tawny owl means you're spitting out fire, lightning turrets, force push, and mind control almost as fast as you can push the buttons. It's not as quick to kill as being a focused murderbeast; so in that regards it's not optimal but it's still fun and arguably better at crowd control.

All builds really synergize well with alchemy. Having the toxicity to down potions like they're nothing and turning your grapeshot into clusterbombs is just the best.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Fast traveling to the same location with different boats also causes them to stack up, so I have a stack of three sail boats in Crach's stronghold's harbor.

I wish there had been a separate skill section for Witcher schools, each with its own line of skills. The Wolf school already has one in the combat section, but Cat, Griffin, and Bear just get a general skill and Viper get's noting. It shouldn't be a problem for Geralt since he forgets everything in every new game anyway. Also, Wolf and Viper Witcher sets! Really though, there's so many skills and too few skill slots already. I'm sitting on 3 skill points now with no idea what to do with them.

Also, in the battle with Imerlith, I lost the first time and he was giving me hell by teleporting, but on my reload I whirled on his rear end once and he couldn't turn arpund fast enough to block me, so I dfeated him with a single attack (click?).

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 12, 2015

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Badly Jester posted:

Did anyone else run into any bugs during Gwent: High Stakes?
Specifically, after winning and finding out that the prize money has been stolen, when I go to investigate the room where it happened, I can look at the corpse, see the mark on the floor where they dragged something heavy to the balcony, and that's it. I can't leave the room through the door, and when I jump off the balcony, I don't find anything lying around, either. And I can't get back into the building.

Look around on the balcony more. You've overlooked one clue.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fhqwhgads posted:

There's a respec potion so don't sweat it. It costs 1000 so it's not even that bad.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Levantine posted:

Tell me about it:

My only problem is that I gave what'sherface brand new materials, why the hell is my armor dirty already :mad:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Calaveron posted:

My only problem is that I gave what'sherface brand new materials, why the hell is my armor dirty already :mad:

Jerry, that's a breach of the dry cleaners' code.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

Igni with high sign intensity trivializes every single fight where the enemies are capable of burning.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Calaveron posted:

You're running around swamps and forests in an angle-length skirt. It's a wonder it's only dirty not torn to shreds within a day.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is there a quick and relatively painless way to grind some XP? I'm what seems to be pretty close to the end of the story (on a quest called Final Preparations) and only half a level away from 31, and I'd like to get there first so I can go in wearing the mastercrafted Griffin armor. I've done all the contracts and sidequests that I could find, so I'm a bit at a loss what to do.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Is there a quick and relatively painless way to grind some XP?

Just use cheatengine..

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

OAquinas posted:

Light armor has bonuses to fast attacks and stamina regen, so it lets you do powerful quick strikes, cast a sign or two, and then move away quick to reposition and repeat.
Heavy armor has a negative to stamina regen, so you're a heavily armored tank (albeit a nimble one) that won't be doing as many sign casts.

Medium armor is entirely sign-based, increasing stamina regen and sign intensity but not helping your primary damage output (swords). Great at crowd control since griffin armor + griffin technique skill + slotted sign skills + tawny owl means you're spitting out fire, lightning turrets, force push, and mind control almost as fast as you can push the buttons. It's not as quick to kill as being a focused murderbeast; so in that regards it's not optimal but it's still fun and arguably better at crowd control.

All builds really synergize well with alchemy. Having the toxicity to down potions like they're nothing and turning your grapeshot into clusterbombs is just the best.

I used something like ten respec potions to test out the various builds and in the end the one I found most satisfying was a mixture leaning towards swords. I had light and heavy attack up until whirlwind and rend, igni, yrden and aard's alternate versions (and 3 points in Axii for deception), that alchemy skill that increases toxicity for each known recipe and the heightened tolerance skill, and I also took Griffin school and wore Griffin armour with ursine swords. It felt like a pretty solid set up that could handle everything pretty easily, but then again by that point in the game any build would have worked.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Andrast posted:

Igni with high sign intensity trivializes every single fight where the enemies are capable of burning.

Yeah swords + some alchemy seems to be the "intended" way to play, alt igni seems like the strongest thing in the game by far, save for when fighting elementals and gargoyles and such which are immune. If you don't want to have to think or try in a single fight against humans, try out igni.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

alex314 posted:

Look around on the balcony more. You've overlooked one clue.

I'm blind and dumb. Without your hint I would've been convinced there was a bug and I had to play through the tournament again, so thank you!

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Echoing what people have already said about a Signs focused build. Alt-Igni is ridiculous against any foe that can be set alight, which covers almost all Contract targets, and human opponents are beautifully flammable. That said, it doesn't scale that well on higher difficulties for certain story-related boss battles, where you'll find most of your Signs simply don't do much. It's an entirely feasible way to play the game and real good fun when it works, particularly when you've got your Alt-Yrden zapping people in the bollocks while their Alt-Axii comrades stab each other underneath a firestorm. Personally, though, I like fast attacks and alchemical concotions.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Badly Jester posted:

I'm blind and dumb. Without your hint I would've been convinced there was a bug and I had to play through the tournament again, so thank you!

Took me forever to find that poo poo too, don't worry.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Hey y'all I picked this game up and maybe played 30-60 minutes last night. I've never played Witcher games before and this seems like a fun game but considerably involved. I (probably stupidly) spent entirely too much time gathering poo poo from some ransacked village and trying to get one of the peasants to talk to me. I'm barely into the game at all (got to some real town before i logged) but I already feel like there's a bunch of side stuff I should be doing instead of advancing the story... I have nowhere near enough money for any of the goods, have no idea what "cards" are supposed to be, and while hte combat tutorial is good, I'm still just mashing square for fights right now.

I'm sorry because I know I'm probably not the first ot ask this, but if you could give me a quick rundown of things you wish you knew going in, I'd appreciate it. The OP is great and all, but I just feel lost atm.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Really dumb question: if the game lets me dismantle something (like texts for contracts, old quest items like the xenovox, etc), it should be safe to dismantle, right? I won't accidentally dismantle a quest item that I need later?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

JetsGuy posted:

Hey y'all I picked this game up and maybe played 30-60 minutes last night. I've never played Witcher games before and this seems like a fun game but considerably involved. I (probably stupidly) spent entirely too much time gathering poo poo from some ransacked village and trying to get one of the peasants to talk to me. I'm barely into the game at all (got to some real town before i logged) but I already feel like there's a bunch of side stuff I should be doing instead of advancing the story... I have nowhere near enough money for any of the goods, have no idea what "cards" are supposed to be, and while hte combat tutorial is good, I'm still just mashing square for fights right now.

I'm sorry because I know I'm probably not the first ot ask this, but if you could give me a quick rundown of things you wish you knew going in, I'd appreciate it. The OP is great and all, but I just feel lost atm.

When I first got to Oxenfurt I was so poor I could barely afford a shave after buying a couple of bottles of cheap alcohol. You get richer as you go on.

In the starting area go to the Inn and talk to the fop who's yelling about cards at one of the tables, he'll teach you how to play Gwent. Don't worry about wasting time, just cruise around to as many of the question marks and exclamation marks on the map as you can be bothered with. When you get sick of the area advance the story, you can always come back if you get overwhelmed or feel you missed something. Witcher contracts and main quests give you the most XP. Look out for sites of power as well, you get a free skill point off of them the first time you use them.

Read the compendium pdf that comes with the game, it's short and gives a good rundown on the story so far.

Read through the tutorials and character bios in the glossary as well if you are still lost.

E: oh yeah when you go up a level and pick a skill to put your point in, don't forget that you need to equip the skill to have any effect. I spent my first six levels of this game with no active skills because I didn't notice this.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 12, 2015

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

- Do all the side stuff you feel like, and advance the story at your own pace. Your quest log will tell you what the recommended level for any given quest is, which gives you an estimate of how tough the toughest enemy that quest requires you to face will be. Enjoy exploring, doing Contract missions (these are all optional), finding points of interest on the map, doing whatever the hell you want really.
- Looting hosed up hovels is great
- Use your Signs liberally. Quen is kinda overpowered for keeping you alive, Igni is good for setting people on fire, Aard is nice for interrupts and getting some space with a chance to knockdown your opponents ready for an instant kill, Yrden is great for when you're being mobbed by fast opponents and need some time to react, Axii's combat utility isn't great but gently caress it yeah buy the upgraded skill so you can Jedi Mind Trick people in dialogue
- Alchemy is pretty important. You'll be able to make bombs, potions and oils when you find the recipes. You start with a couple of potion recipes (I think it's Swallow, which is a heal-over-time potion, and... something else) and can find more from alchemists as well in chests and poo poo strewn across the world.
- You can drink potions and equip bombs from the inventory during combat, so you're not limited to those that are in your quickslots when combat starts. You can also eat food to heal in combat, but only if it's already in your quickslots - which is why I have bottled water in one of my slots, food in the other, and just take my potions directly from the inventory screen
- The cards are part of your deck in Gwent, the Magic: The Gathering/Pokemon/Hearthstone type minigame. It looks daunting at first but it's really not. There's a video by CD Projekt with some pointers on YouTube here, and I am sure some card sharps here can give you more tips.
- There's a PDF with the game that will bring you up to speed with the plot
- Bearded witcher is best witcher

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 12, 2015

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

CVagts posted:

Really dumb question: if the game lets me dismantle something (like texts for contracts, old quest items like the xenovox, etc), it should be safe to dismantle, right? I won't accidentally dismantle a quest item that I need later?

If there is a book or something that is needed for a quest it will show up in the quest section of the inventory and be impossible to sell/dismantle.

HOWEVER, there are several books that can update beastiary info and poo poo like that after you read them. Make sure you have read everything first before you sell/dismantle it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was scrounging for coin for the first few hours of the game but now that I'm probably 30 or so hours in I have 15k+. Don't worry too much about money.

At some point you start getting a lot of swords as findies or quest rewards that aren't upgrades but sell for like 300-1000 or more, the quest rewards themselves get bumped from like 150 to ~350, and you start getting a ton of high priced stuff like amethyst dust or whatever from monsters. I hate fighting wraiths but they always drop some gem dust or something at later levels.

There's a herbalist somewhere that buys reagents for full price (I think?) but even if you just sell random stuff to random merchants you can get quite a lot of coin from the various drops.

Plus there's a quest that has 4500 coins as a reward assuming you play it right (might be a way to get 9000 from it but not sure).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

Also I wouldn't knock yourself out ransacking peasant huts and picking flowers. Most houses will just have low level crafting materials and junk and it's not really worth your time, don't stress about cash and crafting early on.

There aren't any secret magic items or anything hidden in peasant shacks, or if there are there will be a Hidden Treasure map marker or something.

Crafting potions and such only requires ingredients for the item "stack" which is recharged by alcohol when you meditate. Once you craft the potion you don't need extra flowers and monster parts to refill or recharge it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I pick flowers and herbs if I'm running by (I can hit 'e' and space real quick so I don't even stop running) but I don't go out of my way. The common poo poo like that you can always just buy and it's never very expensive (especially in comparison to how much gold you end up having).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

Mostly just have fun and do whatever. There's only a few quests that you can genuinely fail, the game seems pretty easy-going in that sense. Do read the compendium/character bios to get a sense of the story, but I wouldn't worry about arcane rpg "be sure to collect 12 toads before crossing the fire bridge in act 2" sort of crap.

Please don't loot everything, you'll burn yourself out fast, learn to resist the urge early and you'll have a better time. If you are playing on a difficulty where meditation doesn't heal you, grab the swallow potion asap.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

but I wouldn't worry about arcane rpg "be sure to collect 12 toads before crossing the fire bridge in act 2" sort of crap.
Yeah definitely, there's no poo poo like that to worry about.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CVagts posted:

This question isn't that dumb as in Witcher 2 potion crafting ingredients would get filled up with quest items with no warning and you were a click away from using them on some random Swallow.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
The Witcher Adventure Game is on sale on steam for 4 bucks. Anyone play it before?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Moridin920 posted:

I pick flowers and herbs if I'm running by (I can hit 'e' and space real quick so I don't even stop running) but I don't go out of my way. The common poo poo like that you can always just buy and it's never very expensive (especially in comparison to how much gold you end up having).

I don't think any vendors actually sell Buckthorn (the plant that grows underwater), which you need for Killer Whale and a few other medium/high level potions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Palpek posted:

This question isn't that dumb as in Witcher 2 potion crafting ingredients would get filled up with quest items with no warning and you were a click away from using them on some random Swallow.

It also meant that "go collect this rare herb for this potion" would be meaningless because some other random monster part would substitute fine.

There are a couple of rare materials like balisse fruits - no idea where I got the ones I had.