Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
My favorite thing about Pride of Nations was this insane rant a guy posted on the Paradox forums, explaining that the whole reason the game was bad is there were too many nitrates in Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
While I can play and be moderately successful in AGEOD games I really struggle or at least feel like I am clueless in certain portions.

Formation of armies, corps, whatever the flavor seems like a total crap-shoot. I have no idea the ratio of infantry, cavalry, cannons or whatever other options are available.
I also think I am missing out on some way to actually create some semblance of a solid line. The AI just moves an army in between my stacks with apparent impunity. Do forces in the AGEOD engine move around automatically to run to neighboring provinces if there's a fight?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I thought I was doing well at Birth of America and then winter happened and everything on the map died and then I kept buying AGEOD even though I should know better.

That's my story.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

My favorite thing about Pride of Nations was this insane rant a guy posted on the Paradox forums, explaining that the whole reason the game was bad is there were too many nitrates in Japan

You can't mention such things without linking them!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Obstacle2 posted:

While I can play and be moderately successful in AGEOD games I really struggle or at least feel like I am clueless in certain portions.

Formation of armies, corps, whatever the flavor seems like a total crap-shoot. I have no idea the ratio of infantry, cavalry, cannons or whatever other options are available.
I also think I am missing out on some way to actually create some semblance of a solid line. The AI just moves an army in between my stacks with apparent impunity. Do forces in the AGEOD engine move around automatically to run to neighboring provinces if there's a fight?

They will absolutely run away, unless you tell them not to. You want to set your defensive line troops to hold the line in their behavior settings, or they'll break and move out of the way to avoid casualties. There's a similar setting for attacking troops, which makes them unable to retreat. It's one of those colored buttons to the left of the unit window.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You can't mention such things without linking them!

This was, like, five years ago. I remember it because it's kind of become an in-joke among friends, but I don't have any idea how to find the posts again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Graviteam Tactics is getting a 80% sale on all DLC so on the fair presumption that that won't go any lower, anyone want to pick out the best ones to get? (if there are any)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So far the grog game discounts I've spotted on Steam:

-Alae Jaecta Est - 40% off ($14.99)
-Advanced Tactics Gold - 50% off ($14.99)
-C:MANO - 25% off ($59.99) (was honestly hoping this would have gotten a 50% off) :(
-Distant Worlds Universe - 34% off ($39.59)
-Decisive Campaigns: Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris - 25% off ($29.99)
-Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue - 25% off ($29.99)
-Decisive Campaigns Bundle - both DC games ($39.59)
-Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm - 25% off ($34.99)
-Panzer Corps - 25% off ($14.99)
-Pike & Shot - 25% off ($29.99)

There's undoubtedly more, but Steam is getting so slammed it's really hard to navigate anything. Hell some of these may even be incorrect prices.

As usual, don't buy until it's on daily/flash sale, or it's the last day of the overall sale. If it gets down to the wire I might pick up Advanced Tactics Gold, since I've heard good things and love the idea of random generation.

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 11, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

How's Hearts of Iron III? It's on for -75% (2.75 CAD) so I probably can't go wrong trying it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

rchandra posted:

How's Hearts of Iron III? It's on for -75% (2.75 CAD) so I probably can't go wrong trying it.

Pretty mediocre, but it has its fans. Do not play it without all of the expansions though, it's from the old Paradox school of thought where expansions are basically required.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

I might finally have to get Case Blue. Is it as great as WtP? For reference WtP is my favorite grog game and it isn't even close.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Extra copy of Battle Academy to the first one to snipe this key.

WJCNH-NR2HC-YYFC0

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

C'mon Battlefront summer sale. Dont be squares. C'mon.

I'm beggin ya.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chump Farts posted:

I might finally have to get Case Blue. Is it as great as WtP? For reference WtP is my favorite grog game and it isn't even close.

It's better. The scenarios are more interesting, Generals are more interesting (instead of random chance of card you have a choice of cards that cost your general command points to cast), management of troops is more interesting because you have to manage replacements, the game is more balanced (in the sense that the Germans are still stronger unit for unit, but the Soviets get literally 10 times more), High Command giving you objectives and you getting political currency from fulfilling them that you can spend on reinforcements is fun.

The only downside is that there's no team multiplayer.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Chump Farts posted:

It's better in literally every way except for no 6 goons playing together to somehow gently caress up invading France.

Buy it and play me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

rchandra posted:

If you want to play a Hearts of Iron just get Darkest Hour. That's generally considered the best.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
^ That or with HoI IV just around to corner hold off and just think about buying it at full price as a premium to get a fully functioning game with Paradox's modern principles of making an awesome, feature-complete game from Day One.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

^ That or with HoI IV just around to corner hold off and just think about buying it at full price as a premium to get a fully functioning game with Paradox's modern principles of making an awesome, feature-complete game from Day One.

Day One being some six months away.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

3MA just had a podcast on HOI IV and it didn't sound all that great. Everything from interface issues to wars starting and ending in the 30's and more. Hopefully 6 months will fix it, but there are some serious issues from what I could glean from it.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Graviteam Tactics is getting a 80% sale on all DLC so on the fair presumption that that won't go any lower, anyone want to pick out the best ones to get? (if there are any)

My favourites are Operation Hooper and Shield of the Prophet, probably because I love cold war-era stuff. Shield of the Prophet features massive tank battles in a fairly flat desert environment, and Hooper is mostly about jungle/savannah combat with a few tanks and IFVs.

I have a few of the WWII modules but I've only really played Shilovo 1942, which is a (comparatively) small scenario but quite good. The campaign has the Soviets defend a rural village with infantry and early T-34s against a German mechanised force. The limited number of units also probably make it the best campaign to learn how to play the game, if you're new to it.

The only module I don't find worthwhile is Zhalanashkol 1969 - it's a short border skirmish between the USSR and China over a desolate, uninhabited mountainside. Both sides have very few units to work with, the map is pretty bland, and the campaigns only last 6 turns.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Chump Farts posted:

3MA just had a podcast on HOI IV and it didn't sound all that great. Everything from interface issues to wars starting and ending in the 30's and more. Hopefully 6 months will fix it, but there are some serious issues from what I could glean from it.

It hasn't even entered beta yet, has it? I'm sort of surprised they're letting people play it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Lock up your daughters! The Matrix Games Summer Sale PDF is here!

http://www.matrixgames.com/images/Steam%20Summer%20Sale%20List.pdf

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

V for Vegas posted:

Lock up your daughters! The Matrix Games Summer Sale PDF is here!

http://www.matrixgames.com/images/Steam%20Summer%20Sale%20List.pdf

Matrix is so drat lazy, that's literally just a list of their Steam games.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think the "Steam%20Summer%20Sale%20List" in the url is a bit of a giveaway.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's not even complete, they don't have a listing for CMANO on there...

RPS' Flare Path did Waterloo today. I have yet to read it but I plan on it at work.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So, Command: Modern Air Naval Operations is on the Monster deal thing on the Steam Summer Sale.

And I cant get the loving minigame to unlock it to load :psyduck:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

So, Command: Modern Air Naval Operations is on the Monster deal thing on the Steam Summer Sale.

And I cant get the loving minigame to unlock it to load :psyduck:

It's already unlocked. I honestly didn't think it would be the game, they only gave out the tags before it was unlocked. Still expecting it to be 33% off instead of 25%, but w/e it'll probably be the lowest it's going to be for a long time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Allofasudden it all makes sense why it was so difficult to unlock. And with the exclusion from the summer sale Matrix PDF.... :tinfoil:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

50% off, still too rich for my blood.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
37 bux is expensive only in the context of a steam sale.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Alchenar posted:

50% off, still too rich for my blood.

Sadly it'll never, ever be cheaper, basically guaranteed.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Drone posted:

Sadly it'll never, ever be cheaper, basically guaranteed.

This :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I would pay $37 if I could get it at that price without playing the dumb minigame

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

I would pay $37 if I could get it at that price without playing the dumb minigame

you can :psyduck: It's unlocked for everybody.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

37 bux is expensive only in the context of a steam sale.

No it's still more than the release price of your average AAA game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I hope it sells well, and in some way helps shake-up the whack loving pricing system that is innate to Grognard games.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ArchangeI posted:

you can :psyduck: It's unlocked for everybody.

Oh :unsmith:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

I hope it sells well, and in some way helps shake-up the whack loving pricing system that is innate to Grognard games.

Well there's 10 more people playing now than there were an hour ago so they sold that many copies
http://steamcharts.com/app/321410#48h

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

No it's still more than the release price of your average AAA game.

Where the gently caress do you live that the likes of CoD cost less than 37 bux on release?

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Speaking of Matrix games on sale, Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is on sale on Steam until June 22. Granted, it's only $10 off a game that is way overpriced for a game system that came out in the 1990s, because grog games

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Panama Red posted:

Speaking of Matrix games on sale, Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is on sale until June 22. Granted, it's only $10 off a game that is way overpriced for a game system that came out in the 1990s, because grog games

You just missed a no-poo poo humble bundle that had CCGWTC plus like half a dozen other games for a tenner.