Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

e: let's found a company that makes beautiful, high-end transceivers. why does eveyrthing have to look like a pile of poo poo and obscure knobds and ten zillion buttons with illegible labels

there's nothing obscure at all tho about what i posted, it's super cleanly layed out with one touch access to everything you do all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

icom recently released the IC-7100 and it is a pretty ballsy design move imo

but :ughh: mono resistive touchscreen :ughh:

isnt there a kenwood like that, that looks like a ripoff of a kenwood i distinctly remember... but i cant put my finger on it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and THEN there's the elecraft koolaid drinkers

i'm ambivalent-to-disliking on these, mainly because it's a very a la carte type ecosystem and by the time you have something that compares to a $1500 big3 radio they've bled $2800 out of you, $299 at a time.

also how do you know if somebody's an elecraft owner? LOL JUST WAIT

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jonny 290 posted:

and THEN there's the elecraft koolaid drinkers

i'm ambivalent-to-disliking on these, mainly because it's a very a la carte type ecosystem and by the time you have something that compares to a $1500 big3 radio they've bled $2800 out of you, $299 at a time.

i think elecraft radios are pretty neat personally, if you don't want a panadapter, don't buy one, if you don't want neato crystal filters, don't buy em v0v

what you're paying for is cw performance, the filters are p good, the phase noise is good, the key clicks are good
afaik the big3 don't really compare for cw performance

what i wouldn't do is buy their amps

quote:

also how do you know if somebody's an elecraft owner? LOL JUST WAIT

lol 110% true

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Jonny 290 posted:

friend of mine bought the 5100 and he said it's kind of poo poo, but wouldn't give any real reason so idk, he's picky

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
hey guys, i have googled this pretty hard and can't seem to figure out how to do PTT via my sound card interface on my Icom 746 (non pro)

I built that SCI-6 interface that i posted earlier and the send and receive lines work fine but i can't get the PTT going. it uses 3.5mm jacks for sound and a separate com port on the computer for PTT. I followed the FAQ on http://www.unifiedmicro.com/SCI-6-FAQ.pdf and shorted the pins with a 9v battery and the radio transmits when manually shorted through the sound card interface.

it's just a phono on one end going to an RS-232 that's soldered on pins 5 and 7 of the RS-232. I plug it in and either it doesn't work at all, then I swap the wires and it just constantly transmits.

as far as i have read, the non-pro 746 doesn't do PTT via the CAT interface... i am so close but losing hope... :negative:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

longview posted:

friend of mine bought the 5100 and he said it's kind of poo poo, but wouldn't give any real reason so idk, he's picky

yeah i have no ideas on the performance but assume it's pretty middlin' tier IC-7000-ish, lots of toys, none really good

johnnyonetime posted:

hey guys, i have googled this pretty hard and can't seem to figure out how to do PTT via my sound card interface on my Icom 746 (non pro)

I built that SCI-6 interface that i posted earlier and the send and receive lines work fine but i can't get the PTT going. it uses 3.5mm jacks for sound and a separate com port on the computer for PTT. I followed the FAQ on http://www.unifiedmicro.com/SCI-6-FAQ.pdf and shorted the pins with a 9v battery and the radio transmits when manually shorted through the sound card interface.

it's just a phono on one end going to an RS-232 that's soldered on pins 5 and 7 of the RS-232. I plug it in and either it doesn't work at all, then I swap the wires and it just constantly transmits.

as far as i have read, the non-pro 746 doesn't do PTT via the CAT interface... i am so close but losing hope... :negative:

what software are you using? some expect to toggle DTR and some RTS. you're using RTS which is fiiiine but it has to be set right

you should see very few to zero volts between RTS and ground when ptt is off, and several volts when on
get to that point and it'll work.Serial ports are a bitch

e: does VOX trigger on that radio when you inject audio via the rear? Ghetto solution: turn on vox unplug mic

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

you can use it in gloves and it's easily legible, what's not to like

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

you can use it in gloves and it's easily legible, what's not to like

no direct frequency input
VHF / UHF crammed into a HF rig
only really works on a desk, cant be elegantly mounted in mobile despite detached base
no bluetooth wireless
less space than a nomad

lame

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

johnnyonetime posted:

what voltage are you getting off the 232 when you tell it to PTT? could be you have a serial adapter loving you. lots of the usb cables (especially the ones sold as adapters for arduino etc) put out TTL voltage (5v) whereas true rs-232 signals are much higher

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

what software are you using? some expect to toggle DTR and some RTS. you're using RTS which is fiiiine but it has to be set right

e: does VOX trigger on that radio when you inject audio via the rear? Ghetto solution: turn on vox unplug mic

i'm using the free version of ham radio deluxe (5.2) and with a bit more fiddling i've got ptt working now! however when it keys i am not seeing transmit activity on my radio. probably need to check my transmit pin on the midi connector and see if that's the culprit.

i tried the vox and didn't have any luck, i think i've traced out all my probs so maybe the xmit pin is the last one! if that doesn't work then i'm throwing in the towel and buying a signalink...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

johnnyonetime posted:

i'm using the free version of ham radio deluxe (5.2) and with a bit more fiddling i've got ptt working now! however when it keys i am not seeing transmit activity on my radio. probably need to check my transmit pin on the midi connector and see if that's the culprit.

i tried the vox and didn't have any luck, i think i've traced out all my probs so maybe the xmit pin is the last one! if that doesn't work then i'm throwing in the towel and buying a signalink...

wtf....like you see PTT light working on the box but it's not keying the radio? thats weird. youshould be able to short whatever pin you're trying to use for PTT to ground on the back of the radio and have it key.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I watched some videos on soldering and took out that headphone jack the old owner had added. I thought I had electrical tape, but ended up using duck tape instead.

It's an 8 ohm speaker, and it reads 8.1 ohms at the connector now so it's probably close enough.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just gonna leave these here

http://chat.qth.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13500

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?482469-K6KHU-Use-EXTREME-caution!!&highlight=k6khu

This guy is why i won't have a new radio in time for Field day and all my plans are now ruined

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
finished writing the canadian ham license (basic+honours) on sunday :toot:

is it worth getting a portable QRP kit (hardware, non-sdr)? they seem awfully tempting with respect to price and flexibility

if not what is the best way to get involved in hf without dropping down a grand for some overpriced thing i do not need

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
congratulations!

you can buy brand new without worrying about quality for 600-800, put the rest in support gadgets

or buy a used rig for 200-500 and maybe roll the dice but maybe get a gem

if you want to hike around and qrp i will just say just go do it, buy an FT-817 and get some little camping wires and some good battery packs and accessories
its an awesome swiss army knife and 5 watts is only 2 s units down from 100.
i want one pretty bad

that being said QRP is a shitshow with bad compromise antennas. you hear "i talked to south korea on 10 watts!" you dont hear about the 300 times they didn't get through

an IC-718 is pretty reasonably priced and rock solid, good radio

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

5 watts is only 2 s units down from 100.

that is almost exactly the same wording ten-tec used in the argonaut 509 manual

apparently it's closer to 3w PEP when you're using SSB

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

atomicthumbs posted:

that is almost exactly the same wording ten-tec used in the argonaut 509 manual

apparently it's closer to 3w PEP when you're using SSB

you can play with compressors/limiters to like double the average energy of your ssb voice signal. its not very hi-fi but it cuts thru

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
decided to try to up my HF game a bit by laying ground radials in the cracks of the concrete pad we're parked on

so far i have six 20-30 foot radials pretty evenly spaced and you can barely see em. turns out RV sealant caulk is super good at adhering metal to concrete

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
posting to trigger sniep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SG4L_Hq-q0

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
Took the technician test on Saturday, passed :toot:

I look forward to being able to poo poo out ~packets~ all over denver with you guys if the fcc actually hurries the gently caress up and posts my info

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey wow awesome :D drat theyre popping up like rats now

lmk if you are seeking gear or anything we'll get you all set up

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

Jonny 290 posted:

hey wow awesome :D drat theyre popping up like rats now

lmk if you are seeking gear or anything we'll get you all set up

I have a little baofeng UV-5R on the way because it was like $26 bucks shipped, and I mean god drat. I'll be thrilled if it actually transmits without melting, but the last time I idly thought about maybe actually getting a ham license I think a "half decent" handheld was like $400. Yay for china I guess. I figure it should make a decent "throw it in the backpack" radio when I get some more decent stuff.

Still shopping for a mobile rig for the jeep, that IC-2730A that I think you posted a bunch of pages ago looks about right. Do you know if it has a packet jack or anything like that? Or is aprs the kind of thing you want a dedicated thing for?

Man, I think I got bitten by the bug pretty bad this time around. This kind of started last month as a kind of "hmm, I want to get a CB or something for the jeep but CBs have pretty crappy range, maybe I should look into a ham radio" and now I'm browsing for SDR transceivers at work and trying to figure out if I can stick a stealth antenna on the roof of my condo and :ohdear:

Also wanna try building one of these things: http://www.mobilinkd.com/2014/09/11/arduino-kiss-tnc/ cause apparently the sound card in my PC is the biggest piece of poo poo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
A very decent handheld starter rig, new, could be:

Yaesu FT-60R HT - $152
+
Smiley Antenna 270A 2m+440 - $23
=
$175

just IMHO, as I am the resident thread yaesu whore and pimp smiley antennas on the regular

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

potato of destiny posted:

I have a little baofeng UV-5R on the way because it was like $26 bucks shipped, and I mean god drat. I'll be thrilled if it actually transmits without melting, but the last time I idly thought about maybe actually getting a ham license I think a "half decent" handheld was like $400. Yay for china I guess. I figure it should make a decent "throw it in the backpack" radio when I get some more decent stuff.

Still shopping for a mobile rig for the jeep, that IC-2730A that I think you posted a bunch of pages ago looks about right. Do you know if it has a packet jack or anything like that? Or is aprs the kind of thing you want a dedicated thing for?

Man, I think I got bitten by the bug pretty bad this time around. This kind of started last month as a kind of "hmm, I want to get a CB or something for the jeep but CBs have pretty crappy range, maybe I should look into a ham radio" and now I'm browsing for SDR transceivers at work and trying to figure out if I can stick a stealth antenna on the roof of my condo and :ohdear:

Also wanna try building one of these things: http://www.mobilinkd.com/2014/09/11/arduino-kiss-tnc/ cause apparently the sound card in my PC is the biggest piece of poo poo

we'll forgive you on the baofeng. as you said once you get a better rig you can throw it in a glove box or whatever

the 2730 is cool as hell but you don't want to shuttle it to and from the house/car. It does indeed have the standard 6 pin mini din packet jack on the back. easy. i have the mouser part number for the connector and everything

really packet is something you want to throw an old lovely radio and antenna on 24/7 dedicated. even just a vertical dipole or something similarly stealth. a 10 dollar hamfest rig is totally fine, it lives on 145.05, you dont need PL tones or repeater offsets or more than one memory. i have a $5 kenwood tr-7800 that im rigging up to be the packet rig, 25 watts of early 80s beef that will never die

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lowe's trip

2x chainlink fence top rail $20
3 pcs rebar $3
1 bag quikrete $2.50
1 5 gal bucket $2

PROTIP: if you are using 20 ft top rail for a mast and have to clamp it at the 10 foot point, cut one of the pieces in half. do 5 ft - 10 ft - 5 feet. that way there's way less torque on the slip fit joints

Building two of these - the first is going to have the 2m and 70cm eggbeaters and the PA0RDT whip on a 4 foot extension to get it away from metal. Next month I'll build another and do:

2 el 6m beam
5 el 2m FM beam (vertical)
10 or 11 el 2m SSB beam (horizontal) - cant decide if I want Cushcraft or if I want to spring for an M2 for this one
9 element 70cm beam (canted at 45 degree angle for compromise between horiz/vertical)

on a channel master rotator with a thrust bearing

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 11, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
fellow local ham is selling an ic-735. need to talk to the wife....

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
(check pricing and then) jumponitjumponitjumponit

you will not be disappointed

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
more like check pricing and grovel @ wife's feet lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Super gross opposite-of-ham-radio time - "the last big Field Day station" - a 50A (means 50 transmitters) station, before the ARRL changed some rules up to ban this poo poo

aint gotta watch the whole thing just skip around for :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7UEEB-cAC8

so
much
money

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
$200 w/ mic. says ill need a tuner as it doesn't have one. im jumping on this he wouldn't sell me junk, its the guy who helped me put my antenna on my roof.

e: and the wife says i can get it. gently caress yes.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 12, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
do not pass go
thats a stellar deal

e: it has an RX antenna in, so if you want to be safe but still listen, just throw up a long wire and use any RCA cable to plug it into the back of the radio. you'll see what i mean when you get it

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
we got a new pdu replacement thing at work today and i was looking at it and said 'hey thats an anderson power pole connector' and got laughed at for being a nerd. lol.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:ducksiren:

:ducksiren:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

now i gotta pick a callsign

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

spankmeister posted:

now i gotta pick a callsign

lol u get to pick

ours are just assigned in serial based on region

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

lol u get to pick

ours are just assigned in serial based on region

yeah it owns

theres some limitations but i can pick a number between 0 and 5 and three letters after

i have an N licence which means it's PD, when (if) I get my F license it'll be PA and at that point I get to pick again.

actually I do believe I can pay a small fee and change it whenever I want.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
we can pick ours too but i only have a general so, why? i dont get a cool extra call

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ironically keeping your novice/tech call is the cool thing now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

so now i can blast 25 watts (whoooohoooo) on parts of 40 meters, 20 meters, 10 meters, 2 meters and 70cm

maybe i should get in to QRPing

• Locked thread