Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Seriously though any animation laziness will probably be made up for next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:iamafag: <- My actual face during the OP. I almost skipped it, but I decided to give myself a moment to breathe.

This was a GOOD decision.

Next week is gonna be loving amazing.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Seriously though any animation laziness will probably be made up for next week.

Yeah this (and last week) is the first time I've ever noticed janky animation in Stardust Crusaders, so they've gotta be putting all their effort into the last episode.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
So freakin rad.

I can even tolerate the little bits of poor animation because they'll probably clean those up for the blu-ray release in a few months when they don't have weekly deadlines. That and removing the shadow censors.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The blu-rays are better, but I wouldn't oversell them. They're not night and day. More like night and evening. The best thing about them is the lack of censor.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
lol

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I mean let's be fair, DIO's got severe brain trauma here

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
TOO HYPE FOR NEXT EPISODE AHHHH

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Aurain posted:

The blu-rays are better, but I wouldn't oversell them. They're not night and day. More like night and evening. The best thing about them is the lack of censor.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jonathan's loving eyes in that first one always make me laugh for like a solid minute.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aurain posted:

e: f,b

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Forgive me DIO, for I have sinned. :negative: Tried to wait until next week but it was useless, useless! And now kinda glad I didn't, because :eyepop: :captainpop: :chanpop: :gowron:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Saved for posterity:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I know you must be trolling but you still suck and i hate you.

No, the animation quality did drop quite a bit this episode to a point where you notice. Didn't care much, but it was pretty obvious.

edit: whoops laaaate window open too long

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In terms of animation, they don't fix all of the janky animation and mostly just focus on your example. Really egregious examples of bad drawing.
It's not really fixing what's the biggest issue with them. SDC has had notably fewer cases of awful drawings, particularly on close-ups because it has a better budget, simply put.

I did save this image of a truly dastardly act back when the SDC BDs first came out though.

You'd take the BD version every single time, but they don't make the choppy two frame animations silky smooth or anything.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

aww man I liked weirdly buff Jonathan

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

In terms of animation, they don't fix all of the janky animation and mostly just focus on your example. Really egregious examples of bad drawing.
It's not really fixing what's the biggest issue with them. SDC has had notably fewer cases of awful drawings, particularly on close-ups because it has a better budget, simply put.

I did save this image of a truly dastardly act back when the SDC BDs first came out though.

Well yeah, but obviously bad drawing was the largest sin of the last episode.

quakster posted:

Forgive me DIO, for I have sinned. :negative: Tried to wait until next week but it was useless, useless! And now kinda glad I didn't, because :eyepop: :captainpop: :chanpop: :gowron:

Spoiling yourself on the rest of SC now won't make anything less hype, yeah. More importantly, it'd give you a jumpstart on reading Diamond is Unbreakable, which is at worst the second best part.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Does anyone have a gif of Jotaro's part of the OP?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Does anyone have a gif of Jotaro's part of the OP?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
For those who are curious, here's the OVA's take on the DIO fight (the dub). About 14:10 is the point where this episode ended on, so of course don't watch after that if you don't want spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHbFMaMoA1A

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Well yeah, but obviously bad drawing was the largest sin of the last episode.

Yeah. I really don't think the BluRays are bad at all, they're great, it's just that if you spend the crazy amount of Yen they cost hoping they're going to fix absolutely everything, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Aurain posted:

Yeah. I really don't think the BluRays are bad at all, they're great, it's just that if you spend the crazy amount of Yen they cost hoping they're going to fix absolutely everything, you're probably going to be disappointed.

If they get localized like the first season, they won't cost as much.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I was hoping for the full image that zoomed in on the fingers, but this works, too. Thanks.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

I thought most otakus spent money on the first Blu-Rays as a way to support the studio? Whenever anime has a similar price point when it goes overseas, it just sells for all poo poo.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I still thought this episode was awesome, even with some animation errors (which I really didn't notice until having them pointed out here).

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Man, Jotaro's X-Ray is brutal
https://d.maxfile.ro/abihhefjxd.webm

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Soulcleaver posted:

Saved for posterity:

same

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

being dio is suffering

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

His face while he was throwing the knives was also kinda janky

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Oh god I think I found a new avatar

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I thought most otakus spent money on the first Blu-Rays as a way to support the studio? Whenever anime has a similar price point when it goes overseas, it just sells for all poo poo.

No stats to back it up but the common train of thought is that PB/BT Blu-rays did well but SC Arc 1 did not. Egypt hen is doing very well though.

I doubt it's a case of "most" otakus buying them to support David because they're just that expensive. The next Blu-ray with Avdol on the cover is ~£40 (7545 Yen on Amazon.jp) and it only has 4 episodes on. You can get Seasons 1,2 and 3 of Game of Thrones on Blu-Ray for £46. (1-4 is £59.99 with no shopping around which is still much more value for money).

They don't really drop in price either it seems. The naughty people who did the rips of the first series are on record as saying that getting the raws is hard and they buy them at great cost themselves for it.

I think Japan is also really restrictive when it comes to region locking this kind of thing because it's so much cheaper to import a foreign DVD (which often have dual audio of course) than to buy their own because they're essentially a money making racket. (You do get vouchers in the blu-rays for some really cool goodies though).

It's pretty obvious that there's three levels of model for the characters too. They're always a hit with close-ups, the mid range is hit and miss (and miss usually gives them Kakyoin face) and long range shots are more miss than hit.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

I know you must be trolling but you still suck and i hate you.

Ok

It'd have been fine if it was just inbetweens but this episode was clearly rushed compared to almost all of the previous ones. Unfortunately the sudden drop in quality doesn't exactly instill me with confidence that the finale will be as great as it deserves to be, but there's still a decent chance this just means David cut corners this episode so they can focus on the next one.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

tiistai posted:

Ok

It'd have been fine if it was just inbetweens but this episode was clearly rushed compared to almost all of the previous ones. Unfortunately the sudden drop in quality doesn't exactly instill me with confidence that the finale will be as great as it deserves to be, but there's still a decent chance this just means David cut corners this episode so they can focus on the next one.

I wasn't being entirely serious but I still think focusing on the corners cut is a bit disingenuous

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Good thing Cars wasn't around to hear that. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Even with wonky animation JoJo's is still head and shoulders above most other anime series.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Good thing Cars wasn't around to hear that. :v:

DIO being right, as per usual.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think ultimate Kars would kick DIO's rear end even with the world.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can't stop Dio coming at you with green lipstick no matter how ultimate you are.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can't hurt a stand without a stand, though. There's nothing Kars can really do to hurt him as long as he keeps his stand out and punches, Dio'd eventually kill him through a volcano or some other asspull.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Beef Waifu posted:

You can't stop Dio coming at you with green lipstick no matter how ultimate you are.

Except that bit where he didn't have lipstick despite having lipstick in the previous shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Except that bit where he didn't have lipstick despite having lipstick in the previous shot.

He's gonna give you a big 'ol smooch.

• Locked thread