Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Trojan Kaiju posted:

It is only an episode in and it looks like the update schedule will be fairly slow, but this guy Josh Trevett is doing a critical Let's Play of Dark Souls in which he goes into detail about its Joseph Campbell influences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKvHC2-UhL0

We need more people doing this poo poo. I'm all for people just having fun with an LP, and I certainly don't want to say that everyone should be thinking critically about games all the time, but it sure as gently caress doesn't hurt for people to give it a little more thought too. Especially when so many people are happy to just ape some swede screaming about rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

The only Markiplier thing I ever saw was the clip Slowbeef lampooned.

I watched his whole LP of Black Snow, because I couldn't play it myself (this was before I had regular income to just buy Half Life 2: Episode Two on a whim) and I wanted to at least experience it. Unfortunately, this was when the mod was fairly new and only the big name LPers had bothered with it. Markiplier seemed like the least offensive on initial appearance, so I powered through it.

Personally, I found him tiresome before the first video was out. He could be funny, but he seemed to be trying to squeeze as much humor into gameplay as possible and was almost constantly dropping into silly voices and making crude jokes that appeal to middle schoolers but drive me away. And it's sad because he has a really great voice for commentary, but he just keeps doing stupid poo poo with it that appeals to the most basic crowd. It's the typical PewDiePie style of comedy, minus the rape and high-pitched screeching.

The sad part is that he's actually gotten "wackier" since then. He's been steadily turning into almost a stereotype of himself the more his fame grows.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
The future is now, everybody. You can finally buy action figures of (Minecraft) Let's Players.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never heard of any of those people.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

dijon du jour posted:

The future is now, everybody. You can finally buy action figures of (Minecraft) Let's Players.
"Tube Heroes™ represent real-life individuals who create their own content that may include suggestive themes, crude humor and/or infrequent use of strong language."

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Shamus Young, whose name has been thrown around a lot recently because he did some good pieces on Fallout 3's dumb story, has his thing Spoiler Warning (which I think I might actually have heard from in this thread, sorry!) and his group is fairly critical of games while seeming to have fun with them at the same time. For the most part, at least.
I sort of wish they had better audio though.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

dijon du jour posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

dijon du jour posted:

I wish I was dead.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

dijon du jour posted:

Oh good, if you accidentally mouse over one of the people, they shriek at you. Fitting.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
"Hey guys..."

"Oh hey..."

"Hey everyone!"

"Hey guys..."

"Hey guys..."

Wild openers here!!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

sout posted:

Shamus Young, whose name has been thrown around a lot recently because he did some good pieces on Fallout 3's dumb story, has his thing Spoiler Warning (which I think I might actually have heard from in this thread, sorry!) and his group is fairly critical of games while seeming to have fun with them at the same time. For the most part, at least.

A mild caution for any goons, Shamus has displayed some lolbertarian tendencies on his blog but he's probably professional enough to keep that stuff from bleeding into his videos. He's also affiliated with the Escapist if that sort of thing turns you off.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

was shamus the guy who got really mad about NASA's space program being cancelled because he got stuffed into lockers a lot?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

While I don't generally like Game Grumps, this is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRtLDQVHIEc

One of them who actually plays WoW attempts to drag the rest of them through the leveling content of the newest expansion and it is one of the greatest trainwrecks I have ever seen.

Edit: Dunno if it still counts as a LP, because they do this weird reality TV show style thing where it bounces between the game screen and filming them actually playing, but still hilarious.
Episode 4 spoilers

So Suzy quits by the beginning of Episode 4 and tags in Holly Conrad, who's been playing since WoW first came out. Holly then spends the entirety of episode 4 revealing that literally every problem the Grumps had was a direct result of Ross in some form or another. She shows off some of the prettiest areas in the game, takes Arin and Barry to the barber so they can customize their characters, teaches them what their abilities actually do, and just generally goofs off with them.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 12, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

My theory is that it's actually Arin that's the main problem with the Grumps, since whenever Ross or even better Dan take the lead I find them much more palatable. Arin's personality reminds me of balsamic vinegar: it's good in moderate amounts and in the right places but too much of it devours any other flavor the meal might have had, and Arin seems incapable of containing himself.

Of course, the likely thing is that a good chunk of their fanbase feels exactly the opposite.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 12, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

judge reinhold posted:

"Hey guys..."

"Oh hey..."

"Hey everyone!"

"Hey guys..."

"Hey guys..."

Wild openers here!!

One time a long time ago I noticed that almost everybody opens their video with "Hey guys!" or "What's up guys!" or "What's up Youtube" and I am just loving livid that I cannot stop being annoyed by it. Like, it's seriously one of the most annoying things about these people.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Arin's reactions in that episode are hilarious and completely understandable.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

One time a long time ago I noticed that almost everybody opens their video with "Hey guys!" or "What's up guys!" or "What's up Youtube" and I am just loving livid that I cannot stop being annoyed by it. Like, it's seriously one of the most annoying things about these people.

This is how I start my LP's & other videos :smith:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Well how else are you supposed to open them? It opens the communication with your audience! It comes natural since you need to act like you are having conversation with them! It's a greeting for gently caress's sake

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Well how else are you supposed to open them? It opens the communication with your audience! It comes natural since you need to act like you are having conversation with them! It's a greeting for gently caress's sake

Opening your video that way is the equivalent of buying a stock greeting card and just writing your name in it.

Unfunny Poster posted:

This is how I start my LP's & other videos :smith:

I'm sorry

edit: But to be fair, paradoxGentleman is right, there's not really a super unique way to say hello to a large number of people at once, so it is a bit irrational on my part I suppose.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 12, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

My theory is that it's actually Arin that's the main problem with the Grumps, since whenever Ross or even better Dan take the lead I find them much more palatable. Arin's personality reminds me of balsamic vinegar: it's good in moderate amounts and in the right places but too much of it devours any other flavor the meal might have had, and Arin seems incapable of containing himself.

Of course, the likely thing is that a good chunk of their fanbase feels exactly the opposite.
I'm talking about the problems they had with World of Warcraft, not their problems in general. But yeah, I agree.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's not too terrible, just a missed opportunity to be inventive a little. It stuck out to me since I presume everybody was told to record a video for this minecraft figurine website thing, and it looks like most of the people just did one take and said whatever, and it came out that 50% of the videos started out very nearly the same.

quote:

edit: But to be fair, paradoxGentleman is right, there's not really a super unique way to say hello to a large number of people at once, so it is a bit irrational on my part I suppose.

I don't think it's irrational to find someone phoning it in to be irritating. If you notice it, other people do too.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Well how else are you supposed to open them?

Open with a two minute long intro for your show.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The only alternatives that come to mind are either starting with the commentary right away, which I'd find jarring, or switching "everyone" with the appropriate name for your fanbase which feels self-aggrandizing and tribalistic.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

sout posted:

Spoiler Warning is good poo poo, for that, and how Josh (the one playing the games they LP) seems to attract glitches of all sorts no matter what game he plays.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sup motherfuckers welcome back to my let's loving play of Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, part 376. Are you pieces of poo poo ready for this? *minute long 3D-rendered intro bearing my name several times with dubstep in the background*

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

The only alternatives that come to mind are either starting with the commentary right away, which I'd find jarring, or switching "everyone" with the appropriate name for your fanbase which feels self-aggrandizing and tribalistic.

dscruffy1 here on SA took an approach to this that I quite like where he just tailors his greetings to the game he's LPing. So for example, he started his Monaco videos with "bonsoir, mes amis" and his Arkham Origin videos with "merry christmas, criminals". Gives things a unique touch without being gimmicky, I feel.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jim Sterling's openings for his Squirty Play series are pretty great since h makes up some new descriptor for the viewer each time.

"Hello you Captain Birdseye hentai artists"

"Hello you secret lemonade drinkers"

"Hello you engorged ticks on a sexpests rear end in a top hat"

"Hello you joyless little downers"

"Hello you kangaroo's with breast implants"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Sounds like he's using this:
http://talklikewarrenellis.com/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I used to say "Hello there and welcome back to game name here!" but then I started LPing games that had long names and it became a mouthful so I shortened it. Sometimes when I have guests it does not work out so well though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktLwCdI-YtI

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

a cartoon duck posted:

was shamus the guy who got really mad about NASA's space program being cancelled because he got stuffed into lockers a lot?

I can't find anything about that but I did find this extraordinarily whiny article about New Vegas.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/experienced-points/8241-Obsidian-Does-it-Again

He seems like one of those :qqsay: assholes that are a dime a dozen on the internet but again maybe I'm wrong here. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You should introduce yourself like you're trying to get your XBOX One to perform a task.

'Welcome back to Let's Play Assassin's Creed Unity, by Ubisoft on the XBOX One, powered by Microsoft.'

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

CJacobs posted:

i'll start every video I do from now on by saying "eat poo poo you loser nerd it's time for a new video"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Scream. Honestly, just scream into the mic for a solid 10-15 seconds.

EDIT: Remember when Let's Plays were done by people who knew a poo poo-ton about the game they were playing, and it was perhaps a rare game that not many people got to play? :allears:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I don't really care about how people open their videos.
I don't even care how I open them. But somehow it always turns out to be "Greetings everybody welcome to game name here"
That's not intentional, I'm just really boring.

I also don't understand how other people can care about that. I do have my fair share of pet peeves, though. Don't you dare mention your lack of editing in a video claiming that if you have to suffer we have to too NO gently caress YOU GO TO HELL AND EAT poo poo FOR ETERNITY THIS IS NOT WHY I WATCH LETS PLAYS RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

IGgy IGsen posted:

I also don't understand how other people can care about that. I do have my fair share of pet peeves, though. Don't you dare mention your lack of editing in a video claiming that if you have to suffer we have to too NO gently caress YOU GO TO HELL AND EAT poo poo FOR ETERNITY THIS IS NOT WHY I WATCH LETS PLAYS RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

I've done that one a couple times, but I went and edited one of them anyway, and for all the others it was specifically to highlight just how above and beyond terrible a particular section was. I would defintely be annoyed it happened more than like, once or twice in an LP if I was watching it.

E: As an actual example, I have zero regrets about posting an unedited 45 minute Twinrova video for the Ocarina Chaos thread because that specific fight is a perfect example of how literally anything can gently caress you over in that fight. I think every other time I did some other kind of editing like speeding up footage instead of cutting it. Which is basically to say that I think not editing can actually be an effective tool for emphasis if you use it correctly and more importantly, sparingly.

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 12, 2015

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Artix posted:

I've done that one a couple times, but I went and edited one of them anyway, and for all the others it was specifically to highlight just how above and beyond terrible a particular section was. I would defintely be annoyed it happened more than like, once or twice in an LP if I was watching it.

Yeah, depending on your workflow I understand it happening once because it may be annoying to re-encode a video. But there are people who frequently do that and somehow think it's funny. I mean, I even enjoy the LPs its in aside from that but It just really annoys me because it's usually easily fixed. Even after recording commentary (if you do one continuous take instead of several shorter ones like myself, which allows you to correct stuff like that on the fly (solo at least))

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

hey there cjacobs what is goin' on

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Let's play.

https://twitter.com/YouTubeGaming

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
https://twitter.com/YouTubeGaming/status/609421520084058113

Finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

a cartoon duck posted:

I think that was Bob Chipman (guy who did movie reviews for a while,) who asserted that NASA was a better use of money than programs aimed at feeding the needy and the like, because it represented some kind of "grand optimism." As if we should be proud of the fact that we were more concerned with winning a dick waving competition with the Soviet Union than making sure people didn't starve or freeze to death in the streets. :jerkbag:

Don't get me wrong, I think NASA and the sciences and all the government programs funding them are great, but he explicitly pushed back against the idea that maybe we should put a higher priority on social welfare because he saw it as less important than shooting things into space.

• Locked thread