Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

photomikey posted:

If everything they're doing is legal, I don't see how you can stop it from happening to anyone else (let alone yourself).

By making it illegal, probably. :v: In all seriousness, yeah, I'm going to be working with Tennessee Equality Project to lobby to have something done about it. I think more than likely it'll end up being a ballot initiative, but that's a good thing as 2016 is a presidential voting year. We also found out HUD specifically has guidelines preventing this, but this complex doesn't take HUD assistance of any kind.

As for this situation, yeah, I'm currently alone in the apartment; roommates are gone, they're moving into our future home hopefully saturday. I'm still stuck here, sadly. So I have a new quick question for you guys regarding this. As of now I still have no evictions on my record but I'm already applying to move into a new place, and should that application go through what happens if I get evicted here? Does it matter after that? I'm sure it does, but to what extent considering I already have a new place to live that I will be on the lease for? And what happens when you get evicted, I'm rather curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Skunkrocker posted:

As of now I still have no evictions on my record but I'm already applying to move into a new place, and should that application go through what happens if I get evicted here? Does it matter after that? I'm sure it does, but to what extent considering I already have a new place to live that I will be on the lease for?
If you have already have a signed lease for a new place, then it probably won't affect that - but the eviction would still exist, and whenever you move again it will show up and make landlords leery about renting to you. An eviction can haunt you for a long time, so there is a definite incentive to avoid having an actual eviction forced on you. There is a difference between having someone start the eviction process and actually being evicted - it's only if you drag it out to the end that it will stick to you.

quote:

And what happens when you get evicted, I'm rather curious.
I don't know anything about Tennessee specifically, but generally the process goes like this: the landord provides you with notice of his intention to evict you, either by mail or by posting. Depending on why, there might be a remedy option, giving you a way to avoid the eviction (like 'get rid of your dog or we're evicting you in 30 days').

If you do not remedy the situation (or that isn't an option) you can generally choose to just leave - at that point, it won't follow you anywhere. If you decide to stick it out, the landlord will usually have to go to court to get an eviction order. If you don't show up, he'll probably get it. If you do, you get to argue in front of the judge who will decide if the eviction is warranted.

Assuming you don't convince the judge (or don't bother to try) the court issues an eviction order. This is now in your history. It gives you a certain amount of time, probably 10-14 days, to leave the property. If you don't, then the sheriff comes out and physically removes you and your belongings from the property. You and your poo poo are put on the curb. If you decide to fight the sheriff, you get beaten/shot/arrested, so don't do that.

If a tenant is tenacious and the grounds aren't clear, an eviction can end up taking a long time, so many landlords will try to get bad tenants to move without going through the whole process. Particularly bad/dumb/crazy landlords might also decide to just hire some guys to throw out your stuff while you are at work and change the locks. This is illegal, obviously, but puts you in the situation of trying to enforce that while being homeless/having lost all your poo poo.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Hmmm... okay. I appreciate that, thanks.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Rosalind posted:

Any advice for cool summer comforters for someone who sleeps warm? I usually keep my apartment at 72-75ish degrees in the warmer months and the cheapo ($20) comforter I have right now is just too warm. I'm looking to spend around $100 or less.

What about those light knit blankets? Something like this maybe? Or a light quilt? I've also heard that those down alternative comforters are good for warm climates.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anywhere else other than CL for apt room listings in NYC/NJ? I've looked at paper newspapers but I just want to be sure I've covered all my bases. Do people allow small pets like cats?

Budget: $500-$750

Please have public transportation to midtown as I don't have a car within 2 hours commute would be ideal.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rosalind posted:

Any advice for cool summer comforters for someone who sleeps warm? I usually keep my apartment at 72-75ish degrees in the warmer months and the cheapo ($20) comforter I have right now is just too warm. I'm looking to spend around $100 or less.

I never managed to find a comforter that was cool enough to deal with Las Vegas summer heat (about 35 celsius on the worst nights :yikes:), but sleeping without one always just left me... well, uncomfortable. Instead I just use the same duvet and duvet cover year-round, and got one of these bed fans about a year ago, and it's made sleeping immensely comfortable by comparison. Maybe that'll float your boat better?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 3, 2015

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Alder posted:

Anywhere else other than CL for apt room listings in NYC/NJ? I've looked at paper newspapers but I just want to be sure I've covered all my bases. Do people allow small pets like cats?

Budget: $500-$750

Please have public transportation to midtown as I don't have a car within 2 hours commute would be ideal.

PadMapper (http://www.padmapper.com/) pulls in a few more sources, but with that budget you'll have a tough time finding something with a reasonable commute in NYC.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Giant Metal Robot posted:

PadMapper (http://www.padmapper.com/) pulls in a few more sources, but with that budget you'll have a tough time finding something with a reasonable commute in NYC.

Alright, thank you. How about ALL the roommates/shared room? I'm willing to move to NJ as long as there's a bus route into the city too.

Alder fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 3, 2015

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Alder posted:

Alright, thank you. How about ALL the roommates/shared room? I'm willing to move to NJ as long as there's a bus route into the city too.

I thought you were living with family, man. We talked about this, you aren't ready for the big city all on your own - you don't know the neighborhoods or the transit or how to find a roommate.

Either way, respond with cheerful, brief messages to craigslist room ads with a blurb about yourself, why you're interested in their space, why you think you would fit in to their space, and why they should let you have a cat. Like so:

"Hello (whoever), I saw your room listing on craigslist for the bedroom you have available. It sounds like a great space, I love that you are (their profession), it sounds like it would be a good match with (my profession)!. I am a naive young person alone in the big apple for the first time and have an interest in being confused by subways and scratching my head about whether sleeping on the floor is ok, and I think we could be great roommates. I do have a cat who is an absolute sweetheart, never meows, and is litter box trained - she would be basically invisible. I have some phone numbers for my previous roommates if you want to check me out, but I would love to come see the place! Thanks - Alder"

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

I feel like I should explicitly say this: you might see ads for things like "free rent for housecleaning." This is sex stuff, and you should be aware of that before you reply.

Please also make sure that whatever cheapo place you might find isn't a no window sixth floor walkup wires hanging out death trap. That's entirely likely on your miniscule budget.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mocking Bird posted:

I thought you were living with family, man. We talked about this, you aren't ready for the big city all on your own - you don't know the neighborhoods or the transit or how to find a roommate.

I'm getting better and I finally learned how the subway works. Thanks will C&P this into all my replies.

I mean my only other option is living at the shelter or taking more student loans for dorms ($11,000/semester).

Defenestration posted:

I feel like I should explicitly say this: you might see ads for things like "free rent for housecleaning." This is sex stuff, and you should be aware of that before you reply.

Wow, that explains everything on CL. Now I'm creeped out more than usual every time I visit that site. I thought walk-ups were expensive though?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I really want you to think hard and consider the dorms. It can be good to spend a year there while you learn and adjust, and 11k for a year's worth of living space and utilities isn't as bad as you think, especially if you are a naive young person with no furniture or seemingly significant family support.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

You'll be close to campus, have some furniture, almost guaranteed to have a roommate or two who you can do stuff / learn the city with / split meals together maybe, and you don't need to worry about utilities or any other normal adult housing bullshit for a while. If you're lucky your school may also combine it all into room and board and you'll have a meal plan on top of that, which can save you a lot of agony of planning / shopping for / preparing reasonable meals on a budget. Investigate that option!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mocking Bird posted:

I really want you to think hard and consider the dorms. It can be good to spend a year there while you learn and adjust, and 11k for a year's worth of living space and utilities isn't as bad as you think, especially if you are a naive young person with no furniture or seemingly significant family support.

It's not for a year it's for 3 months. It'd also completely wipe out my Fin Aid/TAP (approx total $5,000) for $6,495 per semester even after I paid for tuition ($2,000). Meal plans aren't included but I will need to pay for it on my own if I lived in the dorms so that's another few hundred dollars that I'll never get back.

source: I lived in dorms for 1.5 years on LI.

Total costs would be: rooms+meal plan+tuition= ???

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Are there student co-opts or unofficial communal student housing at your school? Or is there a board where people can post for roommates specifically for the college? Perhaps try searching the "roommate wanted" ads for students who go to your school specifically?

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Mocking Bird posted:

Are there student co-opts or unofficial communal student housing at your school? Or is there a board where people can post for roommates specifically for the college? Perhaps try searching the "roommate wanted" ads for students who go to your school specifically?

The college might have some listservs or a classifieds section on their student intranet. That's another potential resource.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mocking Bird posted:

There's a newsboard place outside the hallways. Thanks will try to post ads there jic.

The college might have some listservs or a classifieds section on their student intranet. That's another potential resource.

Hmm---thanks will continue searching for college classifieds too.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

What should my rent budget be? I'm moving to NYC with a ~110k income - is the rule of 40 applicable? $2,750 mo?

I want to be ~20 mins from the waldorf by subway.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Paranoid Peanut posted:

What should my rent budget be? I'm moving to NYC with a ~110k income - is the rule of 40 applicable? $2,750 mo?

That's way too low for rent unless you plan on shared rooms/apt esp for NYC. I miss the suburbs a lot.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Paranoid Peanut posted:

You could find a studio or 1 bedroom apartment for that fairly easily. Additional things to consider. You won't have a car, so you don't have to budget for car payments, insurance, gas, repairs, but you will have to budget for transit. Also, a most NYC apartments don't have a washer/dryer, but laundry services are pretty reasonable.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

2750/mo for a one bed/studio? What the actual making GBS threads gently caress. Suddenly I'm happy to live in Las Vegas, I get a two bed for like a third of that :stare:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Paranoid Peanut posted:

That includes large swaths of Queens so you should be fine. Remember that broker's fees are a bitch up front, but I assume you have some savings.

Alder posted:

That's way too low for rent unless you plan on shared rooms/apt esp for NYC. I miss the suburbs a lot.

:psyduck: Didn't you just expect to find a shared place for $500-750? Did you think you'd have 6 roommates?

Realtalk Alder there are colleges in the suburbs, state schools which cost significantly less and where living off campus is doable on a workstudy salary. Hell you could even go upstate. Maybe Albany is more your speed, and you could get a government IT job?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ciaphas posted:

2750/mo for a one bed/studio? What the actual making GBS threads gently caress. Suddenly I'm happy to live in Las Vegas, I get a two bed for like a third of that :stare:
Yeah no it's bullshit. Obviously there are apartments where you could pay that much, but it's not at all mandatory. I have my own nice studio maybe half an hour from midtown, in a safe neighborhood, and it's $1150.

The Waldorf is gonna be harder because it's only really near the 6, and you're not finding anything reasonable a couple stops away on the 6 (i.e., still in the heart of midtown). Look in LIC around the Court Square E/M. But just because you have that much doesn't mean you need to spend it all.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

:psyduck: Didn't you just expect to find a shared place for $500-750? Did you think you'd have 6 roommates?

Realtalk Alder there are colleges in the suburbs, state schools which cost significantly less and where living off campus is doable on a workstudy salary. Hell you could even go upstate. Maybe Albany is more your speed, and you could get a government IT job?

Yes. I've heard of places where you'd have 3-5 roommates not including a family sleeping in the living room.

As of now I need to remain in my current location due to legal problems and lack of funding. Mostly because life is disappointing.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Yeah, NYC is expensive, but it's not impossible to find a 1br for under $2000. My friend is renting a place off the 6 in East Harlem for $1650 and he's happy with it. The rule of 40 is more of a guideline of what you'll get approved for rather than what is reasonable to spend.

However, the sub $2000 range won't include many of the amenities you would expect elsewhere in the US (dishwasher, w/d, elevator, gym facility, storage, bathroom fans, exhausts over the stove, etc.) so be prepared to pay more if you want fancy stuff. If you have the option to just come and visit before you move, go out with a broker for a day (don't actually sign anything) to see some of the stuff in your price range and get a reality check.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

BadSamaritan posted:

However, the sub $2000 range won't include many of the amenities you would expect elsewhere in the US (dishwasher, w/d, elevator, gym facility, storage, bathroom fans, exhausts over the stove, etc.) so be prepared to pay more if you want fancy stuff. If you have the option to just come and visit before you move, go out with a broker for a day (don't actually sign anything) to see some of the stuff in your price range and get a reality check.

I thought exhausts over the stove were normal? Welp, the more you know. I had a est if I were to rent a studio in Queens it'd cost $1,500 for all living expenses (food, rent, and utilities). I'm not really sure how I'd actually make that much money considering p/t work would be $7.75 and most retail stores will refuse to hire you if you have more than one p/t due to unstable scheduling.

And I can't really find any rooms to rent for $500+ anyways. I could leave NYC but I don't have a car so I'd have to trash all my furniture (good-bye mattress).

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

I thought exhausts over the stove were normal? Welp, the more you know. I had a est if I were to rent a studio in Queens it'd cost $1,500 for all living expenses (food, rent, and utilities). I'm not really sure how I'd actually make that much money considering p/t work would be $7.75 and most retail stores will refuse to hire you if you have more than one p/t due to unstable scheduling.

And I can't really find any rooms to rent for $500+ anyways. I could leave NYC but I don't have a car so I'd have to trash all my furniture (good-bye mattress).

What were you gonna do if you found a $500 place in say the Bronx, take your mattress on the subway? You can rent a car, bum a ride, pay an uber, hire a man with a van, go plead for mercy in the NYC LAN thread, any number of things.

This is the kind of problem solving you need for city life.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

What were you gonna do if you found a $500 place in say the Bronx, take your mattress on the subway? You can rent a car, bum a ride, pay an uber, hire a man with a van, go plead for mercy in the NYC LAN thread, any number of things.

This is the kind of problem solving you need for city life.

First, I would hope that it's not shady as hell as I've lived in the Bronx my entire life and I've never heard of a place that cheap :colbert:

Right now main priority: not die> find a job

It's not so much problem-solving as what can I realistically achieve in my situation limited by life's disappointments.

Alder fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 10, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Does that mean you have given up on litigating your cat back? :(

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ashcans posted:

Does that mean you have given up on litigating your cat back? :(

Yeah, thanks, now I miss my cat again :sigh:

Now I'll go and stalk the pet forums for the next few hrs.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I really want to hear your life story right now, Alder. You've lived in the Bronx your whole life but appear sheltered? You're having a custody dispute over a cat? You're trying to rent with no job? Did you break up with a sugar mama/daddy significant other? Escape from an urban cult? How old are you?

Please go live in the dorms or with family, I'm worried about you :ohdear:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Alder this is probably the one time I have ever said this, but you may want to consider setting up your own thread in EN or something because really it seems like you have a whole bunch of poo poo going on and maybe it would be useful to get holstic advice instead of sporadic responses to cross-sections of your dilemma across the forums. if not that, maybe just a thread in BFC where you can consolidate all your finance/housing/etc woes and try and get some broader input.

You post in a couple threads I lurk and I am also kind of worried about you.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Alder posted:

Rent a Uhaul. It should cost less than $100 for a nearby trip. Is your stuff worth more than $100? Can you store it somewhere for free? If yes to both, uhaul.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Alder this is probably the one time I have ever said this, but you may want to consider setting up your own thread in EN or something because really it seems like you have a whole bunch of poo poo going on and maybe it would be useful to get holstic advice instead of sporadic responses to cross-sections of your dilemma across the forums. if not that, maybe just a thread in BFC where you can consolidate all your finance/housing/etc woes and try and get some broader input.

You post in a couple threads I lurk and I am also kind of worried about you.
I second this motion and agree that your thread should be in bfc so you can focus on job hunt help and money. As fascinated as we all are by your crazy family, you need practical advice to get on your feet, not e/n wallowing

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mocking Bird posted:

Please go live in the dorms or with family, I'm worried about you :ohdear:

Err, thanks. I think. I figured my entire history is extremely depressing and not sure if I want it archived in SA even though I do like the forums a lot.

Ashcans posted:

if not that, maybe just a thread in BFC where you can consolidate all your finance/housing/etc woes and try and get some broader input.

Alright will try to post there but I feel like it's for people who have at least a small portion of their life that's relatively stable and seeking advice.

Rent a Uhaul. It should cost less than $100 for a nearby trip. Is your stuff worth more than $100? Can you store it somewhere for free? If yes to both, uhaul.

Yes, I considered renting a Uhaul but the last time I drove was IIRC 2-3 yrs ago? I have a license but not really allowed to drive due to my lack of exp.

Defenestration posted:

I second this motion and agree that your thread should be in bfc so you can focus on job hunt help and money. As fascinated as we all are by your crazy family, you need practical advice to get on your feet, not e/n wallowing

Cheers, here I go. I checked out e/n but I was more or less put off by everyone the topics.

edit: posted in bfc

Alder fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 11, 2015

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Alder posted:

Yes, I considered renting a Uhaul but the last time I drove was IIRC 2-3 yrs ago? I have a license but not really allowed to drive due to my lack of exp.

Not allowed by who?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Not allowed by who?
this is a legit question but also I wouldn't begrudge a guy who hasn't driven in 2 years and doesn't want to drive a uhaul through NYC

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Defenestration posted:

this is a legit question but also I wouldn't begrudge a guy who hasn't driven in 2 years and doesn't want to drive a uhaul through NYC

Some parts of the outer boroughs maybe, but ahahahaha if you think I'd take take a uhaul into Manhattan. I won't even drive my Fit through there if I could help it.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I'm with you that it's a bad idea. The wording, "not allowed" instead of "I don't think it's a good idea," is what I found interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Looks like the rent for the apartment I'm staying in w/ roommates is jumping by an unreasonable amount for no actual improvements, so it's time to move. Looking into maybe renting a house for more space this time.

When it comes to leases, is it good to have everybody on it, or just one/two people? With the apartment they required everyone to be on it, but I'm curious if it's the best solution if it isn't required.