Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Excels posted:

Good AC games:
- ac2/rev/brohood they are all basically one expanded story
- ac4

bad games:
the rest

eh the problem with Revelations is that the story was great but the gameplay was a solid two steps back from Bro'hood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Rogue is great and you missed a pricing error from amazon putting it at 12 bucks.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I liked the towef defense in rev but was disappointed to find out it ended once you captured everything

idk ac hasn't been the same since run and jump were put on a unified button for me

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

eh the problem with Revelations is that the story was great but the gameplay was a solid two steps back from Bro'hood

The only gameplay I didn't like in Revelations was the micromanaging your cities part and the bits with the wagon at the beginning and end of the game.

Oh and the Desmond first person stuff was kinda jarring too.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mak0rz posted:

the devs were too fixated on making a game where you relive colonial americana

They even ruined the alt-history DLC where George Washington becomes a tyrant king because they were such cowards they used a sci-fi mind-control macguffin to comfortably defang anything fun or interesting about the premise.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just beat the original Chibi-Robo.

:unsmith:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sleeveless posted:

They even ruined the alt-history DLC where George Washington becomes a tyrant king because they were such cowards they used a sci-fi mind-control macguffin to comfortably defang anything fun or interesting about the premise.

lol at anyone that played AC3 and thought "yes this game is good enough to spend more money on extra content"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

An exploration/hub world game in the style of a Metroidvania, except it's Jurassic Park, and you are a velociraptor.

Why hasn't this been made yet.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

exquisite tea posted:

An exploration/hub world game in the style of a Metroidvania, except it's Jurassic Park, and you are a velociraptor.

Wasn't there a Genesis platforming JP game where you can play as a raptor? Someone please romhack it like that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That was the original Jurassic Park game for Genesis and also Rampage Edition. Playing as the raptor was the big hook to that game even though his sections were super easy compared to Grant and you could finish his entire campaign in 5 minutes.

It is decidedly not a Metroidvania.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

I honestly feel the only game in the series with a compelling story is the first one. Like yeah, Altair is essentially a blank slate of a character, and Ezio is a super charming motherfucker, but Altair has an arc, he discovers things about the world he inhabits, and then they set up all this shades of grey conspiracy stuff for the sequels.

Then in AC2 the entire plot is "I'ma get you, guy who killed my family!" and everyone you kill is a cartoonish villain, and Ezio never has to rethink his plans in any way and all his goals line up with the Assassin's goals. He starts out a roguish guy on a quest for vengeance and then he gets it and the game ends. Then the sequel is about him getting EVEN MORE revenge. Revelations had a little more going on but by that point they'd completely ruined the mythos that made the tail end of the first game so compelling and every bad guy in history ever was a secret Templar, including Hitler and Thomas Edison.

I also think the first game was the only one that was actually built around assassinating people and the sequels are just a bunch of open world mechanics loosely arranged to give the illusion of gameplay.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's a mission early on in AC2 where you do a forced stealth section to sneak up and kill one of the men who betrayed your family. You have to make it through a crowd without being noticed, so nobody knows you killed him. Then, when you stab him, you pull off your hood and yell "I, Ezio Auditore, did that!"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Are you sure you aren't just making it through the crowd unnoticed to avoid alarming him and ruining the assassination attempt?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I honestly feel the only game in the series with a compelling story is the first one. Like yeah, Altair is essentially a blank slate of a character, and Ezio is a super charming motherfucker, but Altair has an arc, he discovers things about the world he inhabits, and then they set up all this shades of grey conspiracy stuff for the sequels.

Yeah if we're talking about the over-arching plot the only game that was actually good about it was the first one. Every game that comes out adds new information that is just loving stupid. Sometimes it's better to not explain things if your explanation is so incredibly goofy and unnecessarily complex. At the end of AC1 I was like "Huh, wow, that was pretty interesting". At the end of AC2 I was like "Did I somehow get the comedy ending?"

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
The thing about Assassin's Creed games is that even the very best one is thoroughly mediocre once you get past how cool it is to have a fairly accurate representation of a historical city to run around in.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

Yeah if we're talking about the over-arching plot the only game that was actually good about it was the first one. Every game that comes out adds new information that is just loving stupid. Sometimes it's better to not explain things if your explanation is so incredibly goofy and unnecessarily complex. At the end of AC1 I was like "Huh, wow, that was pretty interesting". At the end of AC2 I was like "Did I somehow get the comedy ending?"

Like I said, the Desmond first person stuff in Revelations was bad because hey it turns out that he lived in a commune as a child and was training for something dangerous but hmm I guess he'll go be a bartender in Europe instead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It was really funny how the big boobed scientist lady from the first game was suddenly a tube-top-wearing heavily-makeup'd even bigger boobed lady in yoga pants in AC2. And she could do karate now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Excels posted:

in AC3 it is like six loving hours into the game before you even become a goddamn assassin

The 17th mission in Assassins Creed 3 is called "Training Begins".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Are you sure you aren't just making it through the crowd unnoticed to avoid alarming him and ruining the assassination attempt?
Maybe! I didn't pay a huge amount of attention.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I played AC4 for about 50 hours and had something like 60% completion before I realized I hadn't bothered to become a legitimate member of the titular Creed's Order.

How long until they do a game where you unironically, not-double-agent-y, go through Templar training and then that character is the big bad guy in the next game oh god I think I might actually work for Abstergo :tinfoil:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Unity was about a Templar. It sucked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah but aren't you a Templar that eventually becomes a good guy?

That's why I said "unironically", like, when is there gonna be a game where you are actually an evil Templar rear end in a top hat

Also holy poo poo I didn't know Syndicate was being rushed out in October. I'm sure that won't be a buggy mess too

precision fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 13, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You play as a Templar in Rogue.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accordion Man posted:

You play as a Templar in Rogue.

"As reward for their actions, the player is presented with a choice; join the Templar Order, or die."

Yeah see I mean a game where you're really no kidding a Templar, one of the Bad Dudes, because you're a bad dude and want to rule the world.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I've never played Rayman Origins.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

When are they going to make AC: Ron Paul, since he is the embodiment of the assassins' ideals?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I like to pretend it's rear end Assin' Creed

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

I just beat the original Chibi-Robo.

:unsmith:

Congrats, that was a great game. Did you 100% it for the true ending?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
http://www.twitch.tv/ffstv

There's a twitch stream going on to wrap up the Bloodstained Kickstarter

iga's gonna play shantae

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nasgate posted:

Congrats, that was a great game. Did you 100% it for the true ending?

No, I reactivated Giga-Robo and now I'm working on getting all the stickers. Was I supposed to get those beforehand?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
are there no nhl games for pc at all

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

hello vid game ppl, what's a good game to play while trying to focus on the music you're listening to? like a game that doesn't take much thought and you can play on mute while focusing on what your listening to.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

grinding in rpgs or an mmo, puzzle games, the sims, eurotruck, possibly platformers depending on how much you need to think

e: specifically i've played super meat boy, rollercoaster tycoon, final fantasy 14 and the sims 3 while listening to podcasts

Stexils fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 13, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

No, I reactivated Giga-Robo and now I'm working on getting all the stickers. Was I supposed to get those beforehand?

no, i don't think you even can. Though i haven't played it in a long time.

But man that game is so good in a sad but also happy way. I am legit excited for you.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Hog Inspector posted:

grinding in rpgs or an mmo, puzzle games, the sims, eurotruck, possibly platformers depending on how much you need to think

e: specifically i've played super meat boy, rollercoaster tycoon, final fantasy 14 and the sims 3 while listening to podcasts

oh eurotruck would be a good one, gonna reinstall

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4s4U01h-fQ

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
:eyepop: The Japanese calling for another holocaust!

Meanwhile, anime giant robots straight out of ZOE/Gundam confirmed for Halo 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i bought link between worlds. it's fun.

• Locked thread