Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Count Freebasie posted:

Drove past a Smart car in Boston with license plate: SMAAHT

Pretty funny.

WKDSMAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Smart car owners are the current smuggest assholes on the road, they've actually managed to dethrone Prius owners. They always have some idiotic chirpy custom plate that oozes smug.

Which is funny considering how poo poo the things are. Worse economy than a hybrid, worse performance, and you can't even carry a load of groceries.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I saw a smart car grow rapidly in my rearview as I was passing someone and moved over to let them blow by me at like 80-85mph a while ago. Really restored my faith in humanity.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Count Freebasie posted:

Pretty funny.

Boston accents, ho ho hah hah! *reads Ziggy*

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

kastein posted:

I saw a smart car grow rapidly in my rearview as I was passing someone and moved over to let them blow by me at like 80-85mph a while ago. Really restored my faith in humanity.

Was it on the back of a wrecker? I can't imagine surviving a failure at that speed considering it's survival strategy is "be the only thing on the road with a non-crumple frame"

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Well, at least it's more clever than the douchebag who lives near me who has a Ferrari with the license plate: NTMY1ST

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

Boston accents, ho ho hah hah! *reads Ziggy*

Ugh, jokes :qq:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

I saw a smart car grow rapidly in my rearview as I was passing someone and moved over to let them blow by me at like 80-85mph a while ago. Really restored my faith in humanity the long term health of my local organ donation program.

:colbert:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Count Freebasie posted:

Pretty funny.
Seriously though, American accents are a lot milder than they used to be for the most part, but there's this guy at work that for a little while at first I thought he was making some weird faux-British accent since he jokes around a lot, but the accent never stopped and eventually I found out he was actually from Massachusetts and the accent is actually real.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

kastein posted:

I took one up to 50 once. It was terrifying.

edit: though, going over a speed bump at 35 was hella fun

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 12, 2015

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I took one up to 50 once. It was terrifying.

I drove a few as a valet, and I can say beyond a shadow if a doubt that they are the epitome of terrible car stuff. Worst driving vehicle I've ever been in.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Friar Zucchini posted:

Seriously though, American accents are a lot milder than they used to be for the most part, but there's this guy at work that for a little while at first I thought he was making some weird faux-British accent since he jokes around a lot, but the accent never stopped and eventually I found out he was actually from Massachusetts and the accent is actually real.

Transatlantic English?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpv_IkO_ZBU

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Was it on the back of a wrecker? I can't imagine surviving a failure at that speed considering it's survival strategy is "be the only thing on the road with a non-crumple frame"

There was someone in my university who had one with a stereo, racing stripes, and a nitrous bottle that, as best we could tell, was only hooked up to the purge line. He showed up to my ASME chapters cars shows with it and we heard him poo poo talking other people'c cars more than once and wore a "Think Smarter" t-shirt. The guy was generally pretty smug about his dumb little car.

Over the winter he got into a accident with another car which badly injured one of his legs, pinned him in the car and left him in a coma for two weeks. He had to do an evasive maneuver with a bit of snow on the road and the short wheelbase preformed just as poorly as you think it would even with snow tires. From the description it sounds like in just about any other car it would have been a minor accident. He's also a conservative that thinks Obamacare is literally the worst law ever so obviously he's asking people for money to help cover his hospital bills.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

re: Smart cars, my dad still wants one. I told him as long as he swaps a Hayabusa motor into it, i'm down with it :v:

That being said, he's also like 6'4", so neither of us are quite sure if he'd even fit in one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
He'll fit just fine, one thing I will give them is that they use the lack of rear seating to give the driver and passenger a decent amount of room.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can fit in anything if you put your mind to it.

Exhibit 1: 14's Civic
Exhibit 2: my Justy
e: 3: InitialDave's Cappuccino
4: Jeremy Clarkson in a Peel P50. Hell, if those came in 3wd, I would buy one :v:

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 12, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or Jeremy Clarkson in a GT40 as posted in the awesome car stuff thread earlier today.

..mostly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

You can fit in anything if you put your mind to it.

Exhibit 1: 14's Civic
Exhibit 2: my Justy
You are remembering my size and what I own, aren't you?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

InitialDave posted:

You are remembering my size and what I own, aren't you?

Yeah, I updated the list :v:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

T1g4h posted:

re: Smart cars, my dad still wants one. I told him as long as he swaps a Hayabusa motor into it, i'm down with it :v:

That being said, he's also like 6'4", so neither of us are quite sure if he'd even fit in one.

Counterintuitively, the fortwo is a lot more roomy than the forfour (I test drove a brabus forfour and at 6'4 I did not enjoy the experience)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

kastein posted:

I saw one towing a camper trailer in the middle of the Adirondack park one time. He could barely maintain 50 (in a 55), but was actually letting people by.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Saw one of these for the first time the other day, had no idea they even existed:

Why do SUV's have to be a thing? Whyyyyy?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Why do SUV's have to be a thing? Whyyyyy?

I need a big burly car to protect my crotch fruit when I ditch into a telephone pole because I was tweeting about this hilarious imgur I saw. :qq:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My friends are looking for an SUV-type thing under the "now we have a kid" justification, but their logic is based largely on her having a bad back from being rear-ended by a trucker (car crash, not buttsex), and the higher seating makes it easier to get said offspring in and out.

I understand, but would prefer that there were an option that didn't basically involve them buying a pretend-4x4 where you're paying (in cash and fuel economy) for a drivetrain that is not needed and likely won't be of any benefit.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The macan is pretty great tbh. I'd daily one.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

InitialDave posted:

My friends are looking for an SUV-type thing under the "now we have a kid" justification, but their logic is based largely on her having a bad back from being rear-ended by a trucker (car crash, not buttsex), and the higher seating makes it easier to get said offspring in and out.

I understand, but would prefer that there were an option that didn't basically involve them buying a pretend-4x4 where you're paying (in cash and fuel economy) for a drivetrain that is not needed and likely won't be of any benefit.

Minivan?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

You never saw a Cayenne before? They're all over the place in the UK. I have no idea why either, I can only guess it's something like "I want a big 4x4, but I also need to show off more than a Range Rover allows".

Oh, right, it's a new smaller one. Meh.

InitialDave posted:

Skoda Yeti? Nissan Qashqai? Mazda CX5?

Thread appropriate comedy option:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

I'd drive it, as long as it was that color and had that goofy rubber thing on the door. Ribbed for her pleasure... Ewwwwwww!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Wolfsbane posted:

I've seen a couple of these in person though not in that colour and they don't look too bad

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Wolfsbane posted:

You'll never know how close I came to writing "Citroên C4 Picasso" instead of "Minivan"

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Nah, you want this one

I actually have a soft spot for citroen. They seem to have a strong aversion to dull.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't think they really like them. Can't say I blame them.

Wolfsbane posted:

Skoda Yeti? Nissan Qashqai? Mazda CX5?
Skodas are not on their company car list, Qashqai lacks the cargo space they want, CX5 current front-runner, actually.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Having driven all of them, that is the correct choice (assuming they can afford it).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wolfsbane posted:

I actually really loving like these, not the bubblewrap door protector thing though.

The interior's pretty minimal:

I do generally like Citroen's wackier poo poo though, their 'store' on the road to the Champs Elysse had this in it when I visited, the Revolte (the joke practically writes itself):

It does however have the BEST rear seat of any car ever, it's basically a wrap around plush velvet bench seat which starts at the passenger door:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wolfsbane posted:

Having driven all of them, that is the correct choice (assuming they can afford it).
Should be fine, it's an optimisation of the company car benefit/tax as much as anything.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Wolfsbane posted:

Nah, you want this one

I actually have a soft spot for citroen. They seem to have a strong aversion to dull.

What the actual gently caress.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Revolte indeed. Those have to be the most hideous wheels I've seen on a concept car.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

88h88 posted:

The interior's pretty minimal:

It looks like an old leather briefcase exploded

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't figure out why manufacturers decided that LCD screens that look like tablets someone glued to the dash was a good idea.

It's super common right now and looks idiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

88h88 posted:

I do generally like Citroen's wackier poo poo though, their 'store' on the road to the Champs Elysse had this in it when I visited, the Revolte (the joke practically writes itself):