Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Awia posted:

to confuse even further universities can have their own bespoke internal grading systems that will be translated to the normal degree classes upon completion

our grading system is a 22 point scale, this is how assignments, exams, and then each class is graded, technically no percentages anywhere

there are 5 levels of A, so A1 to A5 where A1 is the highest. and then everything else has 3 levels, so B1 to B3, C1 to C3 etc

its really weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i dont know anyone without an honours degree though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CPColin posted:

Uh I'm pretty sure it goes, "First is the worst; second is the best; third is the nerd with the hairy chest."

Sometimes, "Zero is the hero," too.

what about first, second, third, military turd?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Valeyard posted:

our grading system is a 22 point scale, this is how assignments, exams, and then each class is graded, technically no percentages anywhere

there are 5 levels of A, so A1 to A5 where A1 is the highest. and then everything else has 3 levels, so B1 to B3, C1 to C3 etc

its really weird

my uni was a 15 point scale until last year where we moved to percentages

my gfs uni used the same system as you though

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
mine was %s the whole time.
70% = 1st
60 = 2:1
50 = 2:2
40 = 3rd
<40 = fail

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

gonadic io posted:

mine was %s the whole time.
70% = 1st
60 = 2:1
50 = 2:2
40 = 3rd
<40 = fail

yeah, this is what i am now

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

but obviously i have to manually translate all my old grades to the new percentage system

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
jasper reports is goddamn terrible.

like my posting.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
microsoft performance reviews had 5 levels, officially (1 was highest), except that that wasn't good enough, so there was a secret level called 1* which no one was told about but you knew you got it if your rewards were outside the possible ranges for a "1"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Awia posted:

i hope i manage to scrape a 2.1, my dissertation was dogshit and it counts for 3 out of 16 modules

what is this, like metric grades?

oh wait, it's English imperial grades

are the universities priced in shillings too? are terms measured in fortnights?

eschaton fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 12, 2015

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

eschaton posted:

we just had a chat about this, pay attention

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

a 2nd class degree, and a little bit more

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
my 4th year contributed 60% to the final degree award, and 3rd year 40%. i would have been owned otherwise. also thankful for the dissertation being 40 credits out of 120, despite that second marker pulling the grade down

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

same actually i think

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

jasper reports is goddamn terrible.

like my posting.

what are you trying to do? we have integrated jasper reports into our product and it is terrible but free.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lyon posted:

what are you trying to do? we have integrated jasper reports into our product and it is terrible but free.

do you use jasper server? i find that way worse than jasper reports on its own.

right now i'm just finding it overkill for the CSV versions of our reports.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

eschaton posted:

oh wait, it's English imperial grades

are the universities priced in shillings too? are terms measured in fortnights?

guess what month the cambridge may ball takes place

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

April because of the Julian calendar

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
what does a black belt get me

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i have a degree in software engineering which means i also learnt welding and machining :smugmrgw:

my final grade was not quite 7 so i only got second class honours

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
is there a resource for learning programming languages except for lower level stuff where it gives you simple operating system type problems to solve?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

is there a resource for learning programming languages except for lower level stuff where it gives you simple operating system type problems to solve?

what do you mean by "operating system type problems"? task scheduling and resource virtualization?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i was rushing back here to edit that terrible question before anyone quoted it

i have no idea what i mean. i want to do the kinds of things low level c programmers do like read and write to a socket, encode some bits, maybe buffer some buffers, do a message bus, i dont know

everything a computer does below pooping json into a rest api is a mystery to me

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i have no idea what i mean. i want to do the kinds of things low level c programmers do like read and write to a socket, encode some bits, maybe buffer some buffers, do a message bus, i dont know

everything a computer does below pooping json into a rest api is a mystery to me

arduino i guess

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

give what you just said a whirl. get a low level language like c or c++, find the socket APIs for your platform, and write a couple of toy apps that open a socket and barf some bits at each other. try to send a file over the socket (which will also involve reading a file). post questions about anything that you get stuck on.

socket APIs are shockingly easy.

i learned how to talk over raw sockets in c++ writing an irc bot. once you get comfortable writing to/reading from sockets and connecting them and such, maybe try that. connect to an irc server, join a room and show the messages on screen, parsing the (rather simple, really) message format will exercise a different section of your skills

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

write a small UDP chat client

or a small http server

did those last year for a class and it was pretty fun

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dessert Rose posted:

give what you just said a whirl. get a low level language like c or c++, find the socket APIs for your platform, and write a couple of toy apps that open a socket and barf some bits at each other. try to send a file over the socket (which will also involve reading a file). post questions about anything that you get stuck on.

i learned how to talk over raw sockets in c++ writing an irc bot. once you get comfortable writing to/reading from sockets and connecting them and such, maybe try that. connect to an irc server, join a room and show the messages on screen, parsing the (rather simple, really) message format will exercise a different section of your skills

yeah i'm gonna do it but in rust

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Valeyard posted:

write a small UDP chat client

or a small http server

did those last year for a class and it was pretty fun

these are both good, http server maybe more so because it's more natural to expand into multiprocess, memory mapping, signal handling, etc.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i'm gonna do it but in rust

ya thats a better choice in 2015

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Dessert Rose posted:

i wrote an irc bot in python once and learnt absolutely nothing
its because of python

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Those are just implementations of research papers or already have existing instruction sets
If you're talking about C on x86 that doesn't involve "how do i implement tcp/ip", mid level C programming like web. just a different kind of lovely.

below that are real-time operating systems designed to be built into deterministic hardware
you can buy one of these and start playing with it
http://shop.freertos.org/FreeRTOS_Evaluation_Kits_s/1514.htm
I'm not in that space anymore but it's more relevant than rasberry pi at least

edit: nevermind, everyone else gave better answers

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

go on, try and write an os and bootloader

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Awia posted:

go on, try and write an os and bootloader

ill start the wiki

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Valeyard posted:

ill start the wiki

this is as far as i got

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i think i know just the man to write the file system

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Awia posted:

this is as far as i got

i got as far as a bootloader that loads a program that streams goatse from side 2 of a floppy disk into VGA memory

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

i got as far as a bootloader that loads a program that streams goatse from side 2 of a floppy disk into VGA memory

legit cool and funny

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's not goatse without a ring0

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i mainly couldn't be arsed to set up a toolchain tbh, too much effort to print yospos birch to bochs once then never come back to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i wrote an id3 tag parser in realbasic (kindof a vb clone) once, that was a fun exercise aside from the language

i think i even got it to write tags too, which could mean expanding the tag area at the front of the file if its too small

• Locked thread