Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That subway map is pretty bad in vanilla. Almost as bad as murder street.

IIRC I would advance up the far left side so as to only activate aliens to the left of the subway, fight them there (assaults were invaluable for crossing the gaps in cover) then occupy the subway cars and fight from 'high' ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Indiana Jones will not be playing xcom 2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Send your MECs down the middle, have a squad sight sniper in the back, rest of your team supports the MECs. MECs are awesome. I hope you're not doing this on vanilla.

Well any map can be handled once you have options. This was like my third mission so I just had rookies and squaddies.

All I've done is splat impossible runs today. Haven't even made it out of the first month. I even had one where the first mission went literally perfectly; all meld obtained, all soldiers get kills, no injuries. Next mission the giant bar and I revealed 9 sectoids with one move :shepicide:

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
How do I put the Arc Thrower in the pistol slot in Long War? It says that comment/uncomment thing in the .ini file but I'm a big stupid person and I don't know what that means. :blush:

On another note, is there any way to fiddle with Battle Rifle accuracy or some of the stats on the armor?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Jesus loving christ exploding tanks on the military base deal 15 damage, and they're all arranged on easily accessible rows.

RIP.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
How do you do interception in long war again? I know the pilots gain exp, but I don't know what weapons actually work now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Phobophilia posted:

Jesus loving christ exploding tanks on the military base deal 15 damage, and they're all arranged on easily accessible rows.

RIP.

I wasn't aware those could even blow up!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lotish posted:

Not only do they blow up, but you can conveniently explode every last stinkin' one at once with a danger zone rocket if I remember right. And it's stupidly hard to find a safe place for a danger zone rocket to get shot given that those tanks are you're best cover/concealment and so tight together.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
That military base was my first terror mission. Watching my poorly equipped soldier get gutted by my first chrysalid encounter really screwed with my head. Especially when she came back as a zombie.

That's when I figured out lasers are really important early on, at least in vanilla.

Nowadays I'm always antsy on that map, even though I'm not quite as terrible at the game.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 13, 2015

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Serious Frolicking posted:

How do you do interception in long war again? I know the pilots gain exp, but I don't know what weapons actually work now.

The missiles have different damage and armor penetration. I have no idea if this is actually outdated or not but it's been what I use.

For general Interceptor stuffs:
http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Hangar_(Long_War)#Interceptors

And this one tells you which missiles to use against which UFO type:
http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=UFOs_(Long_War)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:saddowns::hf::gibs:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Serious Frolicking posted:

Rush advanced lasers to equip your interceptors with.

Alternatively use this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/319mr9/lw_mod_v2_modify_air_game_stats/

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Amanasleep has given some pretty detailed advice on the air game in the past.

The cliff notes for the early game are to use avalanche missiles, only go for scouts and raiders with aggressive stance to down them consistently and to avoid fighters shooting down your satellites.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

dyzzy posted:

Amanasleep has given some pretty detailed advice on the air game in the past.

The cliff notes for the early game are to use avalanche missiles, only go for scouts and raiders with aggressive stance to down them consistently and to avoid fighters shooting down your satellites.

Keep in mind that even if you do this, hunt missions to shoot down your sats can still be spawned independently, but are unlikely in the early months when alien resources and xcom threat level are low. It is valuable to invest in satellites early even if you don't go for aggressive expansion. Having a spare satellite prevents a random hunter from stunting your early development, and is never a waste of money since you can use it for later expansion.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Lotish posted:

Fight for the Space Needle!

I wish Firaxis would make Civ their 'thing', where you get the wonders in every game they make. The incredibly extensive list of major buildings and natural sites is kind of one of the things that really sticks with me. If Xcom had the space needle, vatican, great wall of china, osaka castle, stonehenge etc as terror sites or something, it'd be fun. Especially if there was some mystery about why the aliens are so interested in these areas that purportedly only have historical significance that would be of interest to humans.

Star control 2 had a bit about that I always liked; how the human race was beaten by aliens, and they blew up any ancient structure older than X number of years, including a stretch of ocean that nobody knew wtf that was about as part of a ritual of control/humiliation or something more sinister.

It's fun. Like pull in some of the ancient aliens stuff, a little bit. Maybe they want to erase traces of our Cydonian past! And also you get the landmark as an interesting battleground.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lotish posted:

It traditionally requires an explosion to set them up. The last I've seen it happen was when an EXALT assault threw a grenade at my covert operative while he was using a tank for cover. I hauled rear end away from it because I was like "Oh THAT is ending poorly."

The EXALT operative took his place on the next turn and promptly got his rear end blown up by the detonating tank. :downs:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Coolguye posted:

It traditionally requires an explosion to set them up. The last I've seen it happen was when an EXALT assault threw a grenade at my covert operative while he was using a tank for cover. I hauled rear end away from it because I was like "Oh THAT is ending poorly."

The EXALT operative took his place on the next turn and promptly got his rear end blown up by the detonating tank. :downs:

One time I blew up a tank and I swear it produced a sound like a cartoon xylophone being dropped. I couldn't stop laughing for a solid minute!

I wish I could extract the audio files to find out if I was hallucinating or not.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Tanks: notorious for blowing up at the drop of a hat in a voluminous explosion.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

MECs are awesome.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

If Xcom had the space needle, vatican, great wall of china, osaka castle, stonehenge etc as terror sites or something, it'd be fun.

Just add some alien meteor thingamajigs and more port-a-potties and I can see this as a map already. Make it happen firaxis.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Instantly made me think of a certain last season of a certain tv show with a similar setting.

Yeah I think that would work.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What order should I do research on vanilla classic? I have Lasers (except heavy) and Carapace armor, and I just finished the containment facility and the arc thrower.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I wonder what a MECanized Viper would look like.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Foglet posted:

I wonder what a MECanized Viper would look like.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"we can do it", she hissed

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The endgame of Xcom2 will basically just be a Mechwarrior game

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Zzulu posted:

The endgame of Xcom2 will basically just be a Mechwarrior game

As someone who has very little idea about Mechwarrior, what are those giant balls dropping from the sky?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Drop pods iirc.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vagon posted:

As someone who has very little idea about Mechwarrior, what are those giant balls dropping from the sky?

what kind of snake is that in your avatar

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

good av + post combo

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Vagon posted:

Dropships with more mechs in them.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Sorry, it's only available in the Terror from the Deep version of X-COM 2.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I've not played LW since like B13, and I've heard that MECs have been horrendously nerfed now. Could anyone give me a quick rundown of what got changed to make them worse, so that maybe I can just ini edit them back to usefulness?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Michaellaneous posted:

Drop pods iirc.

Wow, go wash your mouth with soap! I bet you even think MW2 stand for Modern Warfare 2!

They're drop SHIPS not drop PODS. Sheesh, every real gamer knows that.

e: obligatory Mech Commander Intro link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MQPWE_M_EM

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

....UNATCO?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no. savage.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Desperate

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The MEC flamethrower is pretty underrated, since it upgrades to 9 damage, is an AOE that doesn't damage meld canisters and it causes panic on non-robotic enemies including ethereals and sectoid commanders making their capture way easier. However the rocket fist improves the MEC's base movement and if you have overdrive, using the rocket fist without moving doesn't end your turn. All the MEC suit upgrades are great, I usually go with one MEC suit with rocket arm, grenades and proximity mines with the second one flamethrower, AOE healing (thin man foundry upgrades it) and proximity mines or EMP pulse. Those proximity mines are more commonly useful since they have a huge AOE, can be fired a long distance and then set off by your own explosives. I do give most of my medals to my MECs though, I don't like missing with them.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The MEC flamethrower is pretty underrated, since it upgrades to 9 damage, is an AOE that doesn't damage meld canisters and it causes panic on non-robotic enemies including ethereals and sectoid commanders making their capture way easier. However the rocket fist improves the MEC's base movement and if you have overdrive, using the rocket fist without moving doesn't end your turn. All the MEC suit upgrades are great, I usually go with one MEC suit with rocket arm, grenades and proximity mines with the second one flamethrower, AOE healing (thin man foundry upgrades it) and proximity mines or EMP pulse. Those proximity mines are more commonly useful since they have a huge AOE, can be fired a long distance and then set off by your own explosives. I do give most of my medals to my MECs though, I don't like missing with them.

Beagle's entire late game strat has become exactly that. If I remember correctly he didn't even used to build mechs, but now he rolls out 3 every mission and just stomps the aliens into the ground.

Mine, grenade, punch, burn; you dead.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Razakai posted:

I've not played LW since like B13, and I've heard that MECs have been horrendously nerfed now. Could anyone give me a quick rundown of what got changed to make them worse, so that maybe I can just ini edit them back to usefulness?

They're still very powerful. They just don't totally outclass psionics and officers anymore.

Flamethrowers and mine-launchers are still your best bet for cleaning out big swarms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Batham posted:

Wow, go wash your mouth with soap! I bet you even think MW2 stand for Modern Warfare 2!

They're drop SHIPS not drop PODS. Sheesh, every real gamer knows that.

e: obligatory Mech Commander Intro link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MQPWE_M_EM

Dammit GOG get the Mechwarrior/commander games already :argh:

• Locked thread