Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
All good.

It's really really easy to avoid getting run over by someone in self-defense. Don't get out of your car and try to assault them in a road rage incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

The guy was psychotic *and* violent. I would fear for my own safety if he was having an episode anywhere somewhere in my vicinity.

Anyway, the mentally ill shouldn't get a free pass for their actions. I hope he faced some sort of ramification.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

I bring you the best in this week's THANKS OBAMA programming:

quote:

Commercial Driver's License Standards: Application for Exemption; C.R. England, Inc.
FMCSA announces its decision to grant C.R. England, Inc. (C.R. England) an exemption from the provisions in 49 CFR 383.25(a)(1) that require a commercial learner's permit (CLP) holder to be accompanied by a commercial driver's license (CDL) holder with the proper CDL class and endorsements, seated in the front seat of the vehicle while the CLP holder performs behind-the-wheel training on public roads or highways.

After overwhelming support NOT to grant CR England this exemption, the FMCSA grants it.

gently caress this poo poo, I'm going to go hoe loving rice paddies from now on.

I am a new CDL trainer for my company, and I can kinda see the reasoning behind this. To start, the vehicles I drive do not have trailers so they are a lot easier to train than a Class A, and the required hours are company policy so I'm certain CR Enlgand's required hours are different. I spend a minimum of 7 hours with a candidate on a cone course going over cornering, parallel parking and other poo poo grading everything they do before taking a candidate out on the road. The first turn is always a little scary but after that I find people catch extremely quick and I have to do another 17 hours of on the road training. Most of the candidates I train catch on pretty fast in the on the road section and sometimes 17hrs drags on forever. There have been a couple where I have felt a need to add more hours but it's quire rare. To relate this to CR England, I can understand that some candidates might catch on quick enough to not require a trainer full time while they rack up the remaining hours. . . I still think it's a lovely deal simply because piloting 80,000lbs of truck is dangerous.

PT6A posted:

Especially if they're having a psychotic break. You never know whether someone like that, who's already ripping bits off cars, might decide you're the devil and try to decapitate you and then eat your head.

When someone is exhibiting behavior that goes against societal norms we should run them over, especially while they run away, just in case they might be violent.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Crotch Fruit posted:

When someone is exhibiting behavior that goes against societal norms we should run them over, especially while they run away, just in case they might be violent.

There's a big difference between treating the mentally ill with compassion and not protecting one's own life.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Crotch Fruit posted:

The police are already handling this, except they just use guns instead of vehicles (most of the time).

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

There's a big difference between treating the mentally ill with compassion and not protecting one's own life.

...or coat of paint, or mirror!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Crotch Fruit posted:

If they're forcibly disassembling a car bit by bit, I'd say they're already violent.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
LOL this thread is so ridiculous

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The Locator posted:

The police are already handling this, except they just use guns instead of vehicles (most of the time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFcEMMZju7U&t=26s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's all kinds of hosed up.

Can't argue it's effective though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That specific video was why I added the "most of the time" caveat. :v:

Also, that guy lived.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nsaP posted:

Uh the number on the side of the tire is the max psi, the recommended pressures for the vehicle is usually on a sticker in the door jamb or on the door.

Yeah, but temporary-use spares have their rated maximum speeds and distances printed on the sidewall as well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Some asshat banging on my window will get shot. It'll save me having to replace the mirror they'll probably try to break.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I wish they'd do this to the open carry movement.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I wish they'd do this to the open carry movement.

It's been legal to open carry here (AZ) since before I was borne, so I guess I don't understand what this 'movement' is?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Locator posted:

It's been legal to open carry here (AZ) since before I was borne, so I guess I don't understand what this 'movement' is?

Some people like to wear big rifles in restaurants / the airport / public. Places where it's unusual but legal, in order to shock those liberal squares.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

LloydDobler posted:

What really kills me about this is how the road rage usually started because they were in a loving hurry. Oh NOW you have time to gently caress around and go pick a fight? You were tailgating/running reds/passing illegally just a god drat second ago!

Usually those sort of folks don't truly have a pressing need to be somewhere urgently, they're just Type-A assholes/pissed off/mentally ill and it exhibits as extremely aggressive behavior, both behind the wheel and otherwise. Or sometimes they really were in a hurry, but as soon as someone "wronged" them their explosive temper drove all other thoughts right out of their head.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Some people like to wear big rifles in restaurants / the airport / public. Places where it's unusual but legal, in order to shock those liberal squares.

Yea, ok. Those people are kind of dumb and what they do is very counter-productive.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
These are the people you share a storage unit with.

TD;DR: Guy arrives at his storage unit in another county at the same time two other gentlemen are liberating his belongings in broad daylight. Guy pulls a gun and orders the thieves to get on the ground. One runs away so the obvious thing to do is shoot (in the head) the guy left behind, who I guess was still in the driver's seat. Now the shooter contends that the guy he murdered was possibly maybe gonna sorta back up over his ladyfriend about fifty feet behind the truck. The last link above goes to a really lovely in-jail interview with the dipshit. He's a III%-er, btw. I'm pretty sure it'll turn out that he and the thieves were somehow involved in meth/guns/stolen merch together.

:freep:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: diffusing road ragers - I've found the most effective method is start video recording them with your phone. Just start recording and don't do anything but sit there deadpan with your phone in hand. Works every time.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Big rifles? I tried open carrying that Mosin you sold me, but it kept getting stuck in doorframes and poo poo. Couldn't even get into the Chipotle.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geoj posted:

Re: diffusing road ragers - I've found the most effective method is start video recording them with your phone. Just start recording and don't do anything but sit there deadpan with your phone in hand. Works every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rym5unx0ZCo

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Last night, I heard a loud screech and several large bangs. It sounded like the trash truck picking up the dumpster, but then I heard someone scream. I ran outside to see what happened. A dude in a Nissan Armada hit three trees spaced about 40' apart. He clipped the first tree, took a gouge out of the second tree, then hit the third tree and came to a stop. At some point in this crash he rolled. The front end was destroyed, the right front fender was gone, and the right front wheel and hub were somewhere in the parking lot of the business park across from my condo complex.

His girlfriend was following him in her car, not sure what was going on there. The driver jumped right out of the car and ran through the parking lot into the condo complex. I started following him to make sure he wasn't going to go die somewhere, but he started running. I guess he lives in one of the buildings here, and he went up into a condo to get something, then ran back to his car. 911 had been called, but before the cops got there, he was taking all of his stuff out of his car and putting it in his girlfriend's trunk.

The cops came in about 5-6 minutes after calling 911, its difficult to pull them off of ticket writing duty I guess. I couldn't hear what the guy was saying to the cops from across the street, but I made out something like he said he made a left out of our complex and lost control. Which is bullshit, because the first tree he hit was beyond the intersection.

Not sure if any tickets were given out, but the car was on the wrecker within an hour, and the guy was allowed to walk home.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Geoj posted:

I'd imagine that in some cases it would just make the road rager more angry.

On another note, reversible lanes aka suicide lanes - a lot better in theory than in practice, given that most of the time the road is super busy and people don't know precisely where they're going so there's a lot of unintentional derping about.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 12, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Big rifles? I tried open carrying that Mosin you sold me, but it kept getting stuck in doorframes and poo poo. Couldn't even get into the Chipotle.

That's why the Soviets made the bayonet removable. It was SOP to unfix the bayonet in vehicles or Quick Service Restaurants.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The correct answer is to use the drive-through.

So this morning, I had the unique pleasure of driving behind someone who had the most unusual relationship with the speed limit.

In a highway 70kph zone, they did 45.
In a residential 60kph zone, they did maybe a low 100.
In a hospital 40kph zone, they did 70.
In a freeway 50kph zone, they did 20.

It's like the dude is afraid of speed unless he's guaranteed it will kill him.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The correct answer is to use the drive-through.

So this morning, I had the unique pleasure of driving behind someone who had the most unusual relationship with the speed limit.

In a highway 70kph zone, they did 45.
In a residential 60kph zone, they did maybe a low 100.
In a hospital 40kph zone, they did 70.
In a freeway 50kph zone, they did 20.

It's like the dude is afraid of speed unless he's guaranteed it will kill him.

Clearly the cops are only looking for people speeding on the highways, never residential streets. Kinda makes sense, all my speeding tickets have been on highways.

What I hate is when driving across Kansas and similar states, the speed limit is a consistent 65mph but every 30 miles there is a small town where the limit will drop to 20-40mph. I always find myself being tailgated as I go through town by the same people who refuse to drive the limit on the open highway.

As for open carry. . . The poo poo hole state of Kansas finally did something right by not requiring a permit to carry concealed. It sucks but I have to admit too many people freak out, especially when they see a cocked :supaburn: and locked 1911.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

Clearly the cops are only looking for people speeding on the highways, never residential streets. Kinda makes sense, all my speeding tickets have been on highways.

What I hate is when driving across Kansas and similar states, the speed limit is a consistent 65mph but every 30 miles there is a small town where the limit will drop to 20-40mph. I always find myself being tailgated as I go through town by the same people who refuse to drive the limit on the open highway.

As for open carry. . . The poo poo hole state of Kansas finally did something right by not requiring a permit to carry concealed. It sucks but I have to admit too many people freak out, especially when they see a cocked :supaburn: and locked 1911.

Based on the dumbfucks in my CCH class who barely managed to pass, this new law scares the poo poo out of me. GG Kansas.

:downsgun: "can I shoot a guy if he's outside stealing my mower from my shed?"
:eng101: "no, because you are not in direct harm. Call the police"
:downsgun: "what if he's black?"
:eng99:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"I'm sorry sir you can only shoot people for no reason if they have the same last name as yourself. I've studied the law extensively so you can trust me that it's true."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

"I'm sorry sir you can only shoot people for no reason if they have the same last name as yourself. I've studied the law extensively so you can trust me that it's true."

Well yeah, "I was cleaning it and it just went off!" works a lot better if the incident occurs at home.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well yeah, "I was cleaning it and it just went off!" works a lot better if the incident occurs at home.

I use this excuse when I shower.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Count Freebasie posted:

I use this excuse when I shower.

"It's my dick and I can wash it as fast as I want!"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

"It's my dick and I can wash it as fast as I want!"

You'll probably want to use something a little nicer than cosmoline as lube, though.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

You'll probably want to use something a little nicer than cosmoline as lube, though.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer for high mileage machinery.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

The other day, I was heading back home from my mechanics shop and had to go through a notorious intersection. This time, the driver took the cake. I never saw someone so stupid push their way through 3 lanes of on coming traffic.

Let me explain.

The intersection of Juanita Drive and 98th has a Michaels craft store on the corner. The eastbound intersection also has 3 lanes; a left turn, a straight and right turn only lane. Because of these three lanes, soccer moms have a huge problem getting to the craft store. They will generally block a lane while trying to leave and make a left turn for instance.

This genius decided that they she did not want to go around and back again to travel westbound down Juanita Drive. So she pulled out directly in front of me and headed straight down the eastbound right turn lane in the westward direction. I made it all the way till I could not legally drive anymore and just sat there with my horn on as she continued to drive towards me giving me the Kirkland Wave. If you don't know what that is, its the generic "gently caress you, I'm going" wave.

gently caress these people.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Geoj posted:

People around here would just see that as escalating the situation - they're already entitled to attack you for questioning their perfect driving, so filming them doing so is just undermining their authority further.

My advice would always be to lock your doors, look for an escape route and peel the gently caress out as soon as its safe to do so. It's not worth keeping yourself in danger just to film someone who'll at most face a small fine.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

My advice would always be to lock your doors

And invest in bullet-proof windows.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Staying fresh staying cool! With Mentos fresh and full of life!

Fresh goes better! Mentos Freshmints!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

People around here would just see that as escalating the situation - they're already entitled to attack you for questioning their perfect driving, so filming them doing so is just undermining their authority further.

My advice would always be to lock your doors, look for an escape route and peel the gently caress out as soon as its safe to do so. It's not worth keeping yourself in danger just to film someone who'll at most face a small fine.

Except if/when the police get involved all the road rager has to do is deny everything and the cop will just shrug and say he can't tell who did what and leave it at that - including any damage done to your car. gently caress, if you're going to base everything you do on how a temporarily-insane person may react what's to say looking for an escape route and peeling the gently caress out won't be viewed as escalating the situation as well?

Also where did I say you should stop and just sit there recording until the raging person grows bored and leaves or kills you? Protip: it is possible to both record someone melting down and attempt to flee simultaneously!

Geoj fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

wayfinder posted:

Staying fresh staying cool! With Mentos fresh and full of life!

Fresh goes better! Mentos Freshmints!

Haha this is awesome. Love the creative, dangerous problem solving.