Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe they're doing that because they don't want to blow reviewers' minds before they have a chance to get proper protective gear in place.

Or maybe, yeah, drat. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

Sounds like AMD is withholding 300-series review samples from the press, and employing fanboy-based marketing instead:

https://twitter.com/ryanshrout/status/609437983134089216
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-shows-radeon-r9-300-series-cards-to-red-team-plus_165838

If that's not a bad sign I don't know what is :eyepop:
:doh:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Silly AMD fans you can't buy things with monopoly money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I still call it ATI by reflex, which was a bit awkward in meetings with AMD graphics people. (ATI was all monopoly money, all the time.)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I feel like I'm just waiting a few days to decide I'm going to go Green this time around anyway.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

repiv posted:

Sounds like AMD is withholding 300-series review samples from the press, and employing fanboy-based marketing instead:

https://twitter.com/ryanshrout/status/609437983134089216
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-shows-radeon-r9-300-series-cards-to-red-team-plus_165838

If that's not a bad sign I don't know what is :eyepop:

Good ol PCPer. "No really NV didn't give us FCAT, why do you ask?"

I wish they'd kept using FCAT, it's really hard to get frame timing graphs to show how pants multi card setups are in that regard.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Deadly Hume posted:

I feel like I'm just waiting a few days to decide I'm going to go Green this time around anyway.
Man I sure wish the 960 wasn't loving garbage

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Bishlayer, now the media doesnt even have the cards (:lol:)... its all on you buddy. Share with the world

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
At this point we may have to accept that the AMD gestapo has already reached him.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
AMD>>> NDAbenchmark.exe

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Best buy is so bad. Please don't ever change.

Edit: Oh wow it's just the 390 non-x and they charged $450??

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 13, 2015

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
It's poop. Like I don't even want to sell these on ebay anymore. This is like 1% better than my overclocked 780.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
... so the last holdout is better bins right? how about a sweet OC :)?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

... so the last holdout is better bins right? how about a sweet OC :)?

I hear the 390 gets a 50% OC easy, my dad who works for AMD told me so u kno it's legit. :colbert:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hahahaha

Wait for the 300 series they'll disrupt the market right guys? 8K gaming is within sight!

E: The Rift's recommended spec is a 970 right? So it literally gets a lower Firestrike score than a 970, man.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

BurritoJustice posted:

Hahahaha

Wait for the 300 series they'll disrupt the market right guys? 8K gaming is within sight!

AMD continues to be hot garbage. Ripping this turd out of my PC.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'm not sure what I expected.

edit: what did it say the GPU was in 3d mark?

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 13, 2015

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Rebadge ahoy!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm gonna have some great fun trying to wrangle the short 970 cards for my case let me tell you

Bleh Maestro posted:

Best buy is so bad. Please don't ever change.

Edit: Oh wow it's just the 390 non-x and they charged $450??
Best Buy price so you can take 20% off of that for the microcenter/online store price, and no, that's the 390x price.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Bishyaler posted:

It's poop. Like I don't even want to sell these on ebay anymore. This is like 1% better than my overclocked 780.

just ran my 980 (1406/3903) for a quick comparison

this is at stock settings (1342/3506) for a G1 Gaming

A 970 looks more apt for comparison here clearly

Also I never use 3D mark, I guess the "graphics score" portion is more important. Regardless...

True I suppose it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine the drivers simply aren't out yet.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 13, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

That's low even for a straight rebrand. What the hell.

I figured okayish products priced well was a pretty safe bet too.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

xthetenth posted:

That's low even for a straight rebrand. What the hell.

I figured okayish products priced well was a pretty safe bet too.

It might be a driver problem. It might be a garbage card. All I know is I tried the 15.5 beta drivers first and they resulted in a black screen in Windows. I had to boot safe mode and delete drivers, then load drivers off the CD that came with the card.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Whelp. Let's see if the Fury and Fury X can get me even more disappointed with AMD.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Rebranding the 290 -> 390 was stupid. They should have made them the 380s and just kept the "Fury" for the 390's.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Rebranding the 290 -> 390 was stupid. They should have made them the 380s and just kept the "Fury" for the 390's.
Which is something they did for just about every card below that :suicide:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm mostly upset because if AMD falls on their face, NVidia might respond by just not bothering to drop any prices...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bishyaler posted:

It might be a driver problem. It might be a garbage card. All I know is I tried the 15.5 beta drivers first and they resulted in a black screen in Windows. I had to boot safe mode and delete drivers, then load drivers off the CD that came with the card.

Given how drastically drivers affect performance I wouldn't write the obituary just yet. I was wondering how that card would work given they probably haven't pushed official drivers online yet. I guess the answer is "poorly".

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

But then they wouldn't have a halo tier product to 'compete' against the titan x.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Paul MaudDib posted:

Given how drastically drivers affect performance I wouldn't write the obituary just yet. I was wondering how that card would work given they probably haven't pushed official drivers online yet. I guess the answer is "poorly".

This was my first thought, but ... given that this is a card that's been around for years, the CD drivers in this case might actually be up to date (or at least perfectly functional), the chances seem a little lower

Zero VGS posted:

I'm mostly upset because if AMD falls on their face, NVidia might respond by just not bothering to drop any prices...

Yeah I wouldn't hold your breath. They were already released at a lower cost than the previous gen, and the 600-700 series never really saw any significant price drops even faced with serious competition (like a $70 drop for the whole lifecycle of the 770, for example). The only stick in the mud was the 980 and they pre emptively adjusted that price

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bishyaler posted:

Hey while you're at it, mind running GPU-Z and possibly find some way to confirm that it's GCN 1.1 (it almost certainly is), maybe DX/SM support? That would give us a way to see how enhanced it really is vs the 290X.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 13, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If GPU-Z can't make any sense of it you could just test the tessellation performance with TessMark. If it's garbage it's GCN 1.1.

e: https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/609543480071729153

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 13, 2015

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
I can mess with it later tonight or early tomorrow. Have some friends over now and I don't think they want to watch me cuss as I fight to get this card working again.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bishyaler posted:

I can mess with it later tonight or early tomorrow. Have some friends over now and I don't think they want to watch me cuss as I fight to get this card working again.

Just tell them you have a solemn duty to an internet comedy forum, if they're true friends they'll understand :v:

Nah that's fine, enjoy your Friday night. I'm just curious how much AMD has managed to polish their turd, no real rush. If you're feeling extra frisky could you pretty please plug your current rig at stock clocks/voltages into a Kill-A-Watt while running FurMark and then do the same to the 390X? That would give us a baseline power reading and a delta to the 390X's wattage, which would let us know whether there's any efficiency improvements.

Condolances on the card for now, but at least you're doing science for the internet!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Why furmark and not an actually representative gaming load?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Goddamn it, what am I going to do for 1440p gaming AMD? There better be a Tonga XT, I swear to loving god. Help me I'm angry about video cards.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Goddamn it, what am I going to do for 1440p gaming AMD? There better be a Tonga XT, I swear to loving god. Help me I'm angry about video cards.
same

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HDMI 2?

The worst thing is bestbuy is so staggeringly incompetent this still isn't a sign of what's up.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Do they not have hdmi 2.0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

http://www.evga.com/inboxpromo/

50% off evga power supply and mouse if you purchase a 900 series card or titan x