Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Some terrain types have bonus slots, some have a slot malus. Farmlands are best, they give you +2.

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm trying to run a cheaty multiplayer game with my brother. Is there any way to unlock the traditional console commands (cash, monarch points, etc) in multiplayer? Or alternatively, is there a modifier I can add to the player bonus to give us more monarch points?

I dunno if there's a way to straight up add a monarch point bonus to the player bonuses, but you could just do reduced tech/ development/ idea/ stability etc costs (up to 100% if you want), or make advisers completely free. Alternatively you could give your whole tech group a monarch point bonus by adding 'power = x' to it in common/technology.txt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Koramei posted:

I dunno if there's a way to straight up add a monarch point bonus to the player bonuses, but you could just do reduced tech/ development/ idea/ stability etc costs (up to 100% if you want), or make advisers completely free. Alternatively you could give your whole tech group a monarch point bonus by adding 'power = x' to it in common/technology.txt.

You could, it would just take some light modding. You can write a modifer that checks for ai = no and then just give that whatever bonuses you want.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Gorelab posted:

What all determines how much development is needed per buildling slot? I have places with less slots even though the development is the same.

terrain adds slots as well.

farmland gives two, highland gives one.

there may be more.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Why is no one talking about how great province looting is? Because province looting is pretty great. Since forts cost upkeep now it's harder to maintain a positive income during wartime, but it's no problem since you can just plunder the enemy countryside for all the money.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I feel like non european nations really get the shaft with building slots and income. First they have less monarch points to spend on development because of their tech group. Then their provinces usually start off with less than 10 dev levels. And then their terrain usually has some kind development malus. All these add up to piss poor provinces even in the 17th century. And the final kicker? The AI usually fills their precious single building slot with forcelimit buildings.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Gorelab posted:

What all determines how much development is needed per buildling slot? I have places with less slots even though the development is the same.

It's terrain type, you get 1 extra buildings on farmland, and minus one on rough terrain like mountains and dessert.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 13, 2015

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What's a good country for someone trying to get back into the game but who doesn't want to play one of the "Newbie" nations, like ottomans, england, castille, or austria?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Is it just me or did Paradox decrease the base tax in a lot of the new world for Common Sense? It's fine if you have the expansion and can develop the provinces, but for those of us who don't it just means that the new world is poorer and doesn't get richer.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

So I looked up defines for the new female heir event (Ironically listed in the events as Lux Stella) and I think it actually gives you a better rulers then the male version on average. "Lux Stella" gives you 6 in your chosen stat and lets you pick from 3 possible heirs. The new one "Starlight" sets your heirs minimum stats to 4/3/3 with the min 4 in your chosen stat and lets you pick from 4 possible heirs.

The one thing I'm not certain of though, is when the event file says Stat=4 does that mean the game rolls 4-6 for the stat, or does it mean it rolls 0-6 like normal than sets it to 4 if less. Because the later is significantly worse than the former.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What's a good country for someone trying to get back into the game but who doesn't want to play one of the "Newbie" nations, like ottomans, england, castille, or austria?

Brandenburg, Timurids, a Manchu tribe, or Japanese minor.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

I really enjoyed my Brandenburg game. Also the Hansa would be a good one.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

sudo rm -rf posted:

I can't seem to get the Endonym Empire mod to work.

Aw, I was hoping that this would be a mod that would change the names of nations with empire level governments to "____ Empire" or some such.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Mantis42 posted:

Aw, I was hoping that this would be a mod that would change the names of nations with empire level governments to "____ Empire" or some such.

Did you try it?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

or Japanese minor.

If you go for this, expect to get squashed a couple times by other shoguns until you get the hang of it. Early Japan is a big Thunderdome because everybody has casus belli on everybody else all the time.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Turns out that the Teutonic Order is perfectly set up for a trade game. It would be absurdly powerful if it were possible to go from Monastic Order to Merchant Republic.

Danzig is literally built out of money.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's the deal with England now? Is the 100yw a mission or what? I've got the event to end it, but I want to beat the poo poo out of France and take my continental cores.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Go Milan and try to tank your legitimacy as fast as possible to get free Ambrosian Republic. Everyone is about equal to you until you take over a few more spots and you have the chance to become pretty powerful but it doesn't feel easy until you get most of Italy. Don't tech up until you're at least +5% bonus, spend extras on development and use the mountains as to your advantage. Milan owns this patch, it's both broken but feels fair.

Also someone asked about being stuck at 99% or 90% religious unity bug. Just load a new save, no idea what's wrong with that but it happened last patch as well.

aeglus fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 13, 2015

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I feel like non european nations really get the shaft with building slots and income. First they have less monarch points to spend on development because of their tech group. Then their provinces usually start off with less than 10 dev levels. And then their terrain usually has some kind development malus. All these add up to piss poor provinces even in the 17th century. And the final kicker? The AI usually fills their precious single building slot with forcelimit buildings.

Just look at North America, all the dark red is 1/1/1 development.

there are 6 farmlands total and a couple grasslands/dry-lands in the whole of North America, but none are in convenient places for natives to start building up if they ever want to meet Europeans.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
So how are people placing their forts? Just on the borders, or interspersed throughout your territory? Also when you're not at war do you mothball some of your forts, all of them, or just leave them up to be safe?

The new fort mechanics are probably my favorite part of the expansion, but I'm having a little trouble telling if I'm going overboard with forts trying to make my country a nightmare to invade.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jabarto posted:

So how are people placing their forts? Just on the borders, or interspersed throughout your territory? Also when you're not at war do you mothball some of your forts, all of them, or just leave them up to be safe?

The new fort mechanics are probably my favorite part of the expansion, but I'm having a little trouble telling if I'm going overboard with forts trying to make my country a nightmare to invade.
I hate the new fort mechanic, so I'm placing them in every province to get something as close to the vanilla experience as possible.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Jabarto posted:

I never place any forts, and delete any not on the border because mothballed forts still cost maintenence. Honestly, if I'm in such a bad position that I have to fight a defensive war in my own territory, I'd rather have the money for mercs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I hate the new fort mechanic, so I'm placing them in every province to get something as close to the vanilla experience as possible.

Don't troll the thread

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hello wrong opinion haver

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Jabarto posted:

Playing a rich/vast nation I will have border forts that can over-loop each other zones of controls by Providences next door, as the country spreads they become my inwards fort defense, which will be mothballed if there will be no wars or rebels in the foreseeable future, My border ones will generally stay always active unless I consider the border the forts are in safe.

Playing some one not so rich, or vast. I am still working on that one

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fort management for a 1000 BT beast must really suck. Can we get HoI's region thing for forts.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baronjutter posted:

Don't troll the thread
Fine :(

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Just look at North America, all the dark red is 1/1/1 development.

there are 6 farmlands total and a couple grasslands/dry-lands in the whole of North America, but none are in convenient places for natives to start building up if they ever want to meet Europeans.

ha ha ha that looks miserable and also looks like colonizing was nerfed somewhat?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I'm considering playing a One or Two province minor, but anytime i've played one in Europe (mainly HRE, in Germany) i've been stomped and my armies rapidly defeated, Any general advice/tips? Also how are you supposed to declare war in the HRE without dragging the emperor into it?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I'm considering playing a One or Two province minor, but anytime i've played one in Europe (mainly HRE, in Germany) i've been stomped and my armies rapidly defeated, Any general advice/tips? Also how are you supposed to declare war in the HRE without dragging the emperor into it?

If the Emperor likes you they will be less likely to intervene. As a European minor you will want to ally France/Austria/Polanf/Bohemia etc and let them do most of your fighting for you.

Traxis fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 13, 2015

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Milan is really fun. My opening move was to vassalise Switzerland and make them a March. Then I've been handing them anything north of the Alps I wind up with

I think establishing a march that you never intend to annex is a great move right now. Switzerland contributes 20 regiments worth of dudes, which is a full 1/3 of my army at any given time.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Also Italy is stupid rich right now, In my current game I'm getting close to forming Italy and I'm already richer than France. Sure took a few provinces off Switzerland And garbed Tirol off Austria and snaked my way south to grab the gold in Serbia but I haven't even touched Savoy or the Papal states yet. Part of it is all those tiny states that don't have anything better to do with their points then build up to the stars, so something may start as a 14 development province, but by the time you annex it 50 years later its become a 22 development monster.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I was looking at Common Sense and I was seeing a lot of reviews saying that either the AI hasn't adjusted to the new systems put in place, that coring/diplo annex costs are extremely high and that there are ton of bugs. Would it be better just to hold off on this until they patch it because it sounds like a bit of a broken mess right now.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

SkySteak posted:

So I was looking at Common Sense and I was seeing a lot of reviews saying that either the AI hasn't adjusted to the new systems put in place, that coring/diplo annex costs are extremely high and that there are ton of bugs. Would it be better just to hold off on this until they patch it because it sounds like a bit of a broken mess right now.

I'm not sure about how the AI handles developing their provinces, but the AI seems fine in regards to forts (I mean, it's still not incredibly intelligent, but it's about the same level as its always been), the coring/annexation costs are higher, but whether or not they are prohibitively so is more of an opinion thing than anything else. There was a hotfix yesterday that fixed the worst of the release bugs.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Oh hey, a really lovely bug: I just passed a bill in Parliament, but now I'm getting the Looming Disaster notification that is ticking up +1% monthly for not having an active debate in Parliament.

But once you pass a bill in Parliament, you're required to wait 10 years before you can start a new debate.

It's 1641 and the parliament mechanic has been working just fine for me so far, why it should crop up now, I have no drat idea.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

Chipp Zanuff posted:

If you're in the HRE and have a claim on another HRE member the emperor will not intervene. Also allying the emperor makes him not declare unlawful territory, but if you don't ally him and you get 1+ provinces in a peace deal (possible now with them lowering AE impact) only one of them will become unlawful territory (Im assuming its an AI thing), careful with the annexing totally malus though. Check for the wars they get into/their allies and strike when it's easier.

At least this is how I think it works, Im in the middle of my first HRE campaign playing as the Hansa and this is how I've grabbed most of northern germany, also the HRE in my game is a gigantic clusterfuck, with austria having eaten a lot of provinces, burgundy, poland and the TO eating into the empire and noone able to fight them since non powerful minors keep getting elected as emperors and because austria is allied to the TO and poland. (Im assuming austria is not the emperor because of it's AE, and I cannot ally them since I have a bad opinion of the country)

randomcommoner fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 13, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SkySteak posted:

As long as you're in Western/Eastern tech groups, coring and annexing costs are really not bad. Just set your focus on admin day 1 if you plan on conquering a lot.

Playing other tech groups: have fun rolling a bad leader twice in a row and never having points to do anything with.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Larry Parrish posted:

Fort management for a 1000 BT beast must really suck. Can we get HoI's region thing for forts.

Not so much actually, at the point I get that huge I've just been leaving all my forts on all the time. It costs a lot but still nothing compared to the income you get.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

Oh hey, a really lovely bug: I just passed a bill in Parliament, but now I'm getting the Looming Disaster notification that is ticking up +1% monthly for not having an active debate in Parliament.

But once you pass a bill in Parliament, you're required to wait 10 years before you can start a new debate.

It's 1641 and the parliament mechanic has been working just fine for me so far, why it should crop up now, I have no drat idea.

Are you sure it's not a disaster triggered by something else, but not having a current debate happens to give progress.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

randomcommoner posted:

the HRE in my game is a gigantic clusterfuck, with austria having eaten a lot of provinces

Emperor Austria devouring it's way across South Germany is the dumbest thing. Just give the Emperor full military access to the empire all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Larry Parrish posted:

Are you sure it's not a disaster triggered by something else, but not having a current debate happens to give progress.

I guess it could be, it's the English Civil War disaster. So timeline-wise it'd be about spot on.

gently caress, not a bug then I guess.

• Locked thread