Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
When I worked at the (now defunct because there are no submarines in the Pacific ocean apparently) west coast acoustic data analysis centre we very nearly ebayed a "portable" reel-to-reel tape machine because the two we had crapped out and needed one to deploy with. Aurora airplanes were still using huge 10" tape reels to record sonar data, and we did post-mission analysis. If I recall correctly, we weren't allowed to get it because of security concerns processing secret poo poo on somebody's old garbage.

They finally use slightly, but not much, more modern media. But those reel-to-reels were a nightmare. Ask about shredding miles of magnetic tape when our degausser went down...I'm sure I'll get cancer because of it.

Oh man, now I'm remembering all the stupid types of obsolete magnetic media we had in that place. The minesweepers used this stupid disc that stored slightly more than a 3.5" floppy, cost $100 a piece, and they had thousands of them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So the Navy is hosed, the Sea Kings are hosed, and the Auroras are hosed?

Good luck with that Arctic Sovereignty policy, Harper. :canada:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Canadian ARMED Forces: we're hosed.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Nah the Auroras are now much better, good even (Block III modernization). The reel-to-reels were on the way out finally when I left.

The dumbest thing the RCN has done lately is the "one navy" concept, with operations based on the east coast and "training" on the west. That meant a bunch of stuff, but the upshot was basically all the control of the serious poo poo moved east as if it was 1983. Lots of justifications but really it was nothing more than the east coast officer mafia getting what they wanted.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

See also: Tanks, new guns for the artillery.

Regimental Mafias are a motherfucker.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

compressioncut posted:

Nah the Auroras are now much better, good even (Block III modernization). The reel-to-reels were on the way out finally when I left.

The dumbest thing the RCN has done lately is the "one navy" concept, with operations based on the east coast and "training" on the west. That meant a bunch of stuff, but the upshot was basically all the control of the serious poo poo moved east as if it was 1983. Lots of justifications but really it was nothing more than the east coast officer mafia getting what they wanted.

Yeah I never understood that. After years of denying that the west coast was the training navy and the east coast was the real operational navy they went and made it official. :confused:

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Which is stupid since many Tech/operator courses are still mostly done on the east coast.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I've got as many hours in a "Harvard" (sim) as I do in a real Grob - about 20 in each. Might be in a real airplane by Monday :sludgepal:

But, only about 10 Harvards are available any one day so, probably not - that's what happens when you try to turn just as many trips a day with a tiny fraction of the number of airplanes you used to have. Wears 'em out. I think I'm going to be here a while.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

compressioncut posted:

God that is stupid. I know it would require defence spending to be at 4% of GDP for decades and thousands of new recruits but we need a carrier group for each ocean with the amount of coastline this country has. Nevermind a complete lack of nuclear icebreakers up north.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Go post that opinion in the Canpoli thread and watch the reactions

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Do it just to watch Cultural Imperial's head explode.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I support that.

I saw it written once that Canada's defense strategy hinges on three key facts:

1. An attack against Canada is an attack against the USA;
2. The American retaliation would be objectively gargantuan in both scope and vigour, and even if our entire GDP were dedicated to defense spending, our contribution would be insignificant compared to their fiery wrath; and
3. Canada could not withstand an attack from the US, should they decide to do that.

That doesn't relieve us of the need to have a military to protect our sovereignty and patrol our territory to discourage foreign ("Russian") incursions before they become habitual, but I don't think you need a carrier group to do that. Even if we could get the planes for free and grow the pilots in cloning vats, the expenditures for the ships alone would still be absurd. When our recruits don't have uniforms, our infanteers are shouting "bang" and throwing rocks on the grenade range, our guns are rusted in place and we're literally raiding museums to keep our tanks operational, we've a long way to go before we can even begin to think about considering the debate over buying a single, used carrier from Hungary.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I don't know why it's news our military is hosed. It's been hosed for a long time. Afghanistan turbo-hosed it.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
I thought Afghanistan was generally considered (by the public) to have provided a much-needed shot in the arm for the army.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PRwise absolutely. Budgetwise it poo poo in the milk quite gloriously.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

We originally went over totally unprepared. Several incidents quickly brought that piss poor preparation into full focus, mainly the deaths of 3 men in the Iltis that hit the mine. While being in a G-Wagen wouldn't have helped, people started to realize that we were using a mishmash of badly worn 80's and not-so-good 90's kit (specifically, the 105mm LG1s that couldn't do poo poo, 30 year old Leopard C2s with no Air conditioning) and insufficient heavy-lift capability (No Chinooks, heaviest lifting fixed wing was Hercs). Which is why we saw such HUGE purchases for the land forces (M777s, Leopard 2 from Germany and the Netherlands, CC-17s, new Chinooks, G-Wagens). These were purchases that were desperately needed, and the Afghanistan campaign came right in a transitional period, where the army was going through modernization. New CADPAT uniforms hadn't arrived to all troops yet, which is why (much publicized) OP APOLLO Roto-0 troops went in Woodland-Pattern CADPAT.

Training also hadn't changed. I joined right when poo poo was starting to go down, and there were attempts to introduce more urban-style training (House-clearing, checkpoints and roadblocks, and for the artillery in particular convoy protection for which the training was a loving joke) but it all felt very haphazard and half-assed.

flakeloaf is right in that Afghanistan reminded people that Canada does have a military, but those purchases happened so quickly in response to operational needs that it has literally hosed the post-war budget possibly beyond repair.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Going to the Aviation Museum and seeing jet fighters that used to operate off RCN carriers seriously bums me out.

They were beautiful, once...

Also, anyone who thinks the military should be cut more is a goddamn moron. I can only speak for my tiny corner of the artillery world, but gently caress.

All those… capabilities… will be lost in time, like tears… in… rain. Time… to release…

Mederlock posted:

Go post that opinion in the Canpoli thread and watch the reactions

I poked my head in if only to say that what you see on TV in those glitzy commercials is totally divorced from reality. If people want Canada to be a peacekeeping country, we'll need money for that too.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 10, 2015

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Gunners in Airborne berets and a number 1 with such bad gunner's ear he doesn't even bother with hearing protection.

Different times, man.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Ask me about being posted to the US and participating in one-off exercises that involve more aircraft than our whole air force probably has airworthy at any given time :v:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
A few years prior to going down to Fort Bragg, NC most of my company did an inboard/outboard jump out of a herc in Petawawa and it was sort of a big deal because that didn't happen too much in Canada since the old Airborne days. Then in 2011 we jumped with the 82nd Airborne Division. I think they've gone back there ever since.

acumen fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 11, 2015

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

acumen posted:

Airborne Division.

I don't think there would be a man, woman or child alive in Somalia if we had an Airborne Division. :black101:

In all seriousness, I would love to see more Brigade level training, assets and capabilities. I always loved working with tanks and aviation, it felt like we really were a "combined arms team" or whatever the jargon is these days.

What does a division drop look like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G7odvFQwKA

e: I just found out that the 82nd has more Triple 7's than the entire CF and they drop them by parachute. Goddamn. :911:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The 82nd probably has more effective combat power than the entire goddamn Canadian Forces. Land power, at least.

It's not reasonable to compare the American Military to the Canadian Military in any way, shape or form. One is the most powerful fighting force in the history of the world...the other is not, to put it kindly.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

It's not reasonable to compare the American Military to the Canadian Military in any way, shape or form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsPIzRsUtlE

:downs:

When I heard they were converting the Areas to Divisions I thought they were actually going to do that, until I realized that they were just changing the signs and even that took about 6 months.

CF.txt :canada:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Imagine how much we'd save if we didn't go through perfunctory rebranding every twenty minutes.

Have you met anyone period who gives a tinker's drat about pips & crowns?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

The 82nd probably has more effective combat power than the entire goddamn Canadian Forces. Land power, at least.

It's not reasonable to compare the American Military to the Canadian Military in any way, shape or form. One is the most powerful fighting force in the history of the world...the other is not, to put it kindly.

First point - yeah, they do. By 82nd Airborne Division they mean the whole division is jump capable - the cooks, vehicle techs, supply, everyone. I do think it's reasonable to compare us and I've had enough terrible experiences with American units (including SF) to even say we're at least on par if not better than them person to person. They're on average in much better shape though - they loving love PT.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Of course on a person-by-person level one can compare...I meant on a full military level.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

flakeloaf posted:

Have you met an honorary colonel or member of the regimental senate?

Unfortunately, yes.

I'm just glad they haven't brought back Summer DEUs or peaked caps.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

So nobody whose opinion ought to matter when talk turns to spending public money on today's living soldier, then.

e: Historians serve a useful purpose and all that, and I really have no emotional stake in what rank insignia look like. I just think "Old people did it so therefore it must be good" is a stupid line of thinking and shouldn't be enough to justify yet another rewrite of a perfectly serviceable dress instruction.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 11, 2015

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
With our soldiers down to 60 rounds a year for target practice, I really doubt we're going to be able to claim that our soldiers are better 1-1 compared to Americans for much longer, if that's even been a real thing for the last decade

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

flakeloaf posted:

So nobody whose opinion ought to matter when talk turns to spending public money on today's living soldier, then.

I like your optimism!

Seriously, I'm just waiting for khakis and caps to come back. Once I saw the red collar tabs, I started to think they weren't going to stop there.

E: :words: ...well those 60 rounds would matter more of the troops had a real Battle Rifle. Why, when I was in West Germany, we only needed 80 rounds for our FALs to keep Ivan on his side of the Fulda Gap... :words:

We need a :mwosay: like :chiefsay:

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 11, 2015

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Frosted Flake posted:

I like your optimism!

Seriously, I'm just waiting for khakis and caps to come back. Once I saw the red collar tabs, I started to think they weren't going to stop there.

E: :words: ...well those 60 rounds would matter more of the troops had a real Battle Rifle. Why, when I was in West Germany, we only needed 80 rounds for our FALs to keep Ivan on his side of the Fulda Gap... :words:

We need a :mwosay: like :chiefsay:

There is something immensely satisfying about holding and firing the old C1 rifle. You get the sense a motherfucker is not getting up after you slap him down with 1 round (or the buttstock). I could finally understand why the old dinosaurs like to go on about it, but holy poo poo Is it ever designed for a different era.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 11, 2015

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

FAL? Pfft I had old WO's going on about the loving Sterling.

"We didn't need grenades to clear a room. Just toss that piece of poo poo in with a room full of Ivans and the seer will break from hitting the floor."

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Got to play with the sterling as well on my small arms. What a horrible horrible horrible horrible weapon.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
C1's are loving incredible.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Barrakketh posted:

There is something immensely satisfying about holding and firing the old C1 rifle. You get the sense a motherfucker is not getting up after you slap him down with 1 round (or the buttstock). I could finally understand why the old dinosaurs like to go on about it, but holy poo poo Is it ever designed for a different era.

You even notice the difference as soon as you get one in your hands, let alone fire one. The quality of manufacture was just that much better. Easy to understand why the crusty older folk thought the C7 was a toy when they first were issued out.

Yeah, small arms was a sweet course.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
Writing range order by hand suck. Especially when you only have a relative understanding of what is required.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Dantes posted:

Writing range order by hand suck. Especially when you only have a relative understanding of what is required.

Ugh, the number of dinosaurs in the CF who still cling to this idea of "Welp, back to basics, WHAT IF THE POWER GOES OUT HUH?" as if this is something people ought to focus their attention on is staggering. Go to an Int shop with a crusty broken ex-infantry WO who gets all upset that in 2015 we use computers. Yeah, what if the power goes out in a HQ for a modern mechanized military? Well, there is certainly going to be bigger problems than having to sigh and pull out the markers for the map.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Melian Dialogue posted:

Ugh, the number of dinosaurs in the CF who still cling to this idea of "Welp, back to basics, WHAT IF THE POWER GOES OUT HUH?" as if this is something people ought to focus their attention on is staggering. Go to an Int shop with a crusty broken ex-infantry WO who gets all upset that in 2015 we use computers. Yeah, what if the power goes out in a HQ for a modern mechanized military? Well, there is certainly going to be bigger problems than having to sigh and pull out the markers for the map.

Uuuuuughghguhgighhgh yes

WHEN THE RUSSIANS ROLL THROUGH THE GAP THESE MAPS WONT FLOCARK THEMSELVES

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

In the air defence world I met one super old WO whose training, when he entered, entailed being able to write legibly backwards with both hands so he could update the giant backlit wall map from behind showing soviet bomber positions from underground C2 locations. Fortunately he took the road less traveled and was a mostly* chill guy who talked about fun stuff he did in germany (like deny the base commander who forgot his ID entrance to his own workplace :v:) and constructively teach/harass 2Lts.

*some air defence exercises with him were pretty onerous and could last hours improbable event that wouldn't statistically happen until after the heat death of the universe if it can happen it will happen!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"But if the power goes out the radios go out too, so how are we going to get messages to the tanks?"

Two weeks later, the bicycles arrived. The following morning, all of the bars of soap and washcloths had vanished from the bathrooms.