Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As far as Trigun itself goes you could really just watch Badlands Rumble and call it a day. Maybe watch Gun x Sword if you want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Best abridged series is still LittleKuriboh's Naruto Abridged Abridged: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N17SGtrhQtQ

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I love the TFS reiew of that crapy mini movie where goku father went to the past and had one of the greatest mental break downs ever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

Anyone who likes Trigun should be reading and watching Blood Blockade Battlefront.

Gungrave's really good too. The wheels fall off a fair bit when it gets stuck having to draw from the original PS2 game, but cribbing off Scarface and The Godfather is pretty drat good, and it's worth sticking with it for the ending.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mr. Fowl posted:

Hell, TFS Vegeta is the voice of Vegeta in my head now.
Yeah its been really difficult to watch DBZ now on Toonami, especially since they are on Namak and LittleKuriboh's Frieza is now my canon version of the character.

Gyges posted:

Their AoT ended perfectly and I'm not sure how they could improve on it.
True, props to the one guy who did a near perfect Patrick Warburton impression

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There are few abridged series that come close to the level of quality that TFS puts out. The only one I can think of is Purple Eyes WTF's channel, because that man is legitimately insane and does every single voice both male and female himself.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I can't stand Trigun, mostly because Vash is so dedicated to his philosophy that it actively runs counter to his agency. I distinctly remember several incidents where dozens of people die because of his inability to act, and it really pissed me off at the time, not because I wanted him to go in guns blazing to take down the bad guy, cause that's not who he is and that's not what the show's about, but he also didn't do any damage control at all, or preventive actions, or try to think of creative ways to either save people or stop more destruction from happening.

I really liked the style, music, and tone of the series when it started and found Vash to be a really enjoyable protagonist, but by the end I hated him and his hypocritical beliefs.

It felt a lot to me like a similar problem to Batman where the villains became too big for damage control to work. Episode 12, when he is first introduced to the team of bad guys, there is a lot of focus on the damage control during the chase sequence, where he shoots towards people to get them out of the way before Gale shoots them. When he fails is when he starts to crack. The natural conclusion, by the end of Episode 24, may have even come much sooner had the bad guys and Wolfwood not taken care of the problems themselves.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I saw Jurassic World, and thought it was pretty fun. I give it three stars.

I just critiqued something on the Internet; feel free to discuss it in this thread!

Miss Wallace posted:

I think people don't give Hasselhoff enough credit for his acting, because I have seen him give some great performances (Even on Baywatch!). I'm in the minority here, but I loved his performance in Jekyll and Hyde the Musical. But the Hoff is at his best when smothered in cheese, and that's why Baywatch is great.

I never saw Hasselhoff's take on the role, but he seems like he'd be a perfect fit.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 13, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

My new Sonichu review is now up for Patreon backers. Warning: extremely not safe for work.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

I like your reviews. They are worth my dollars. I am presently watching you read Sonichu Anatomy. Why am I paying to be hurt in this way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, I saw Jurassic World and man, does this movie have a love-boner for the original film. It's not a great film, but it has some decent spectacle in it. I was a little disappointed in how some of the more interesting characters were underdeveloped in favor of a ridiculous cartoon villain. Lowery and Masrani both had great potential but they just got sidelined.
Masrani especially seemed neat to me. He was like John Hammond except that he didn't need to learn morality. He understood the need to put people first and was willing to compromise to save lives. It was shown quite well when he was willing to close the I. Rex's cage with people in it, or when he relented to the Hoskins to use lethal force and accelerate the raptor application to get things back under control. But then he had to go die in a stupidly anticlimactic way that just made things worse.

Lowery was a huge Ian Malcolm fanboy, but nothing about his character went beyond making references to the first movie and providing requisite snark. I would have liked to see more of him but they didn't do anything special with him.

The movie also felt really violent, if that makes sense in a film about a killer dinosaur. It was an unpleasant violence, though, that felt really mean spirited and cruel compared to the relatively light tone of the movie. It was like they got the Game of Thrones guys for excessive gore instead of the restrained "leave it to your imagination" that Spielberg fostered.

I'd put it on the same level as The Lost World. It does have its moments, but there is a lot that holds it back from being more than decent. I did like the little "gently caress you" they gave to real world scientists bitching about there being no feathered dinosaurs when Henry flatout says "these aren't dinosaurs you idiot they're hybrids, take a guess why they don't have feathers!"

There's also some really weird geography that bugged me in the film. When they're on the monorail into the park, the announcer (voiced by Brad Bird!) says that the gate is the original Jurassic Park's gate. But, for some reason, it's now ten feet above the forest floor, and about thirty miles south of the original park's visitor's center, while in the first film it was just around the corner.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 13, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

And another Baywatching! I know, it's not Jurassic Park, but it'll have to do.
http://phelous.com/2015/06/12/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-big-monday/

I wonder how many people wrote slash fanfic about Mitch and Rando Hawaiian Dude? Probably not enough.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaC-sRdULbA
Goddamn Doug, Jurassic Park's SFX were great but they are not perfect, looking back the opening Sauropod shot is pretty poo poo. I feel bad for CGI animators because people give them way too much poo poo for their work. If you knew how much they to get done in the schedules they are given I think people would complain less about CGI.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I know but still the end product. Most of the time I think people wouldn't mind cgi if the lighting wasn't so off or being the center of attention.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I decided to rewatch the original Jurassic Park, and during it I remembered this weird thing I thought when I watched it as a kid. In the movie you see Nedry steal dino embryos and then get attacked by a dino when he tried to leave the island. You see the shaving cream container with the embryos flow away, and then later you see Grant and the kids find dino eggs. Years ago I thought the stolen embryos somehow became the dino eggs, but that's not right. Weird, huh?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Annointed posted:

I know but still the end product. Most of the time I think people wouldn't mind cgi if the lighting wasn't so off or being the center of attention.
That's why JP still holds up in that the most memorable scenes are done in the dark/rain. That and out of the 15 minutes of dino scenes, only 4 minutes are in CGI, but that was during a period where this was the big leap in CGI.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 14, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah about the only good daylight CGI scene in Jurassic Park is when the Rex breaks through the treeline and kills the gallimimus. The other day shots are pretty dated. That said, the shots either in the dark or with sharp contrasts look great. The one that always stuck out in particular to me was when the Raptor smashed through the ceiling and almost killed Lex.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, some shots in the original Jurassic Park are dated, especially the money shot of the Sauropod. However the performances, music and overall framing of the shot still make up the difference. It's still as majestic.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Holy loving poo poo Doug is mad that Jurassic World wasn't rated R and not gory, what the gently caress :psyboom:

I mean seriously he talks about how violent and gory JP is and how "neutered" Jurassic World is, why the gently caress would you make it harder for kids to watch a loving Jurassic Park movie? Does he not realize how important Jurassic Park was in inspiring kids to get into the field of paleontology?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jurassic World is by far the bloodiest movie in the entire franchise. The gently caress is he on about?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

achillesforever6 posted:

Holy loving poo poo Doug is mad that Jurassic World wasn't rated R and not gory, what the gently caress :psyboom:

Now I'm really confused, because didn't an earlier poster say the exact opposite about it?

Fake edit: this one.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The movie also felt really violent, if that makes sense in a film about a killer dinosaur. It was an unpleasant violence, though, that felt really mean spirited and cruel compared to the relatively light tone of the movie. It was like they got the Game of Thrones guys for excessive gore instead of the restrained "leave it to your imagination" that Spielberg fostered.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheMaestroso posted:

Now I'm really confused, because didn't an earlier poster say the exact opposite about it?

That was me. There is one scene in the movie where a guy is killed by the I. Rex and his body just gets disintegrated into a shower of gore.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

achillesforever6 posted:

I mean seriously he talks about how violent and gory JP is and how "neutered" Jurassic World is, why the gently caress would you make it harder for kids to watch a loving Jurassic Park movie? Does he not realize how important Jurassic Park was in inspiring kids to get into the field of paleontology?

And yet his favorite classic mad max is thunderdome. please stop talking Doug.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rob also had a dumb "I feel bad for the kids today" because of how Jurassic Park used animatronics for their dinosaurs.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Jurassic Park is literally a kid's movie. At one point Hammond winkingly refers to the child characters as the "target audience".

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Rob also had a dumb "I feel bad for the kids today" because of how Jurassic Park used animatronics for their dinosaurs.

Because, you see, you just can't watch Jurassic Park anymore! The new movie nullified any possibility of watching the original, so Rob's opinion is totally justified.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

TheMaestroso posted:

Because, you see, you just can't watch Jurassic Park anymore! The new movie nullified any possibility of watching the original, so Rob's opinion is totally justified.

Kids don't watch old stuff, we did as kids but kids these days don't with their ipods and internets, you know things can give easiler assects to older films and shows then we where kids, but kids are stupid unlike us because we are better.

what I am trying to say is everything was better on my earth.

doug walker is the worst thing to happened to the internet since Ebaumsworld.

good god this is pissing me off, doug did like 3 triggers with that video that I hate internet nerds about.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 14, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaC-sRdULbA
Goddamn Doug, Jurassic Park's SFX were great but they are not perfect, looking back the opening Sauropod shot is pretty poo poo. I feel bad for CGI animators because people give them way too much poo poo for their work. If you knew how much they to get done in the schedules they are given I think people would complain less about CGI.

Jesus christ. I've never watched one of those Sibling Rivalry videos before, but what in the ever loving gently caress? I legitimately felt bad for Rob, can you loving imagine living with a tool like that screaming nonstop?

EDIT: And scratch that last part, Rob is just as bad and has no loving idea what visual storytelling is. Two idiots screaming at a camera for forty five minutes.

DOUBLE EDIT: Holy gently caress Doug you need your eyes checked if you think Kung-Fu Panda's CGI is poo poo.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 14, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Remember when we all said that we wanted Doug as he is, not with his gimmick? Well I guess the eggs are on all our faces now :v:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Cyron posted:

Kids don't watch old stuff, we did as kids but kids these days don't with their ipods and internets, you know things can give easiler assects to older films and shows then we where kids, but kids are stupid unlike us because we are better.

what I am trying to say is everything was better on my earth.

doug walker is the worst thing to happened to the internet since Ebaumsworld.

good god this is pissing me off, doug did like 3 triggers with that video that I hate internet nerds about.

Kids have parents that grew up watching these movies and will show these movies to their kids. That's just how it works. If they aren't exposed to this stuff are don't seek it out, it's because their parents don't care to show it to them.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
EDIT: What did they say in the Spoiler video?

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 14, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheMaestroso posted:

Kids have parents that grew up watching these movies and will show these movies to their kids. That's just how it works. If they aren't exposed to this stuff are don't seek it out, it's because their parents don't care to show it to them.
Yep, and a lot of parents don't.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Have we ever determined if Doug is fond of trains?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

achillesforever6 posted:

That and out of the 15 minutes of dino scenes, only 4 minutes are in CGI
Six minutes actually, although in some of those shots they're sort of invisibly going from animatronics to CGI (for instance this shot there's actually a cut: the first part of the shot is the animatronic T-Rex; as soon as the camera zooms in and you see the full body walking towards the vehicle, its become a CGI T-Rex). I think a big benefit of how good the CG is integrated is the amount of careful planning that was done. "Jurassic Park" and "Terminator 2" had to begin their CG work a good year before the release date; "T2" even had nearly all of the visual effects plates shot before production even began!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tracula posted:

Have we ever determined if Doug is fond of trains?

He didn't like Thomas the Tank Engine on concept so I don't think so.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

achillesforever6 posted:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

At first I was okay with the statement in the fact that the bayformers films do not succeed in being family films. Then after yeah, Grimdark RIP AND TEAR. Just a basic phenomenon where some want their stuff to be edgy to fit in with their changing tastes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doug screaming for fifty minutes about wanting Jurassic World to be nothing but a two hour gorefest reminded me of his views on the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films where he wanted them to tell a dark, brooding tale. Never mind that the Raimi films are pretty much silver age Marvel incarnate.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jurassic World is by far the bloodiest movie in the entire franchise. The gently caress is he on about?

Wasn't the extent of the gore in Jurassic Park a cut on someone's arm and dino venom in Nerdly's face? I remember everything else being either bloodless or just off screen. I mean, that one kid got shocked and there was some smoke, but I don't think his red hands afterwards count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What's funny is that Doug (IIRC) hates Neil Blomkamp, who happens to be the only director who makes gorey action movies any more.

• Locked thread