Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Likewise w/ the "Marshmallow Experiment" that every smug conservative rear end in a top hat likes to trot out-- it's also partly a test of how reliable you consider the promises of adults. If you live in a world where adults are constantly lying to you about rewards that never arrive, there is more reason to take what you can get now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Vosgian Beast posted:

See, that's an explanation that doesn't glorify white nerds. What kind of SJW mindkilled prog are you?
The scariest part about all of that cortisol poo poo, is that they've already found that high levels of cortisol in children leads to obesity and a ton of other problems, on top of also affecting how their brains develop and negatively affecting their decision-making and planning abilities for the rest of their life, if they developed while under consistent high stress levels.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

Likewise w/ the "Marshmallow Experiment" that every smug conservative rear end in a top hat likes to trot out-- it's also partly a test of how reliable you consider the promises of adults. If you live in a world where adults are constantly lying to you about rewards that never arrive, there is more reason to take what you can get now.

That would be an interesting (if really mean and very unethical) experiment: run it again with a 3rd group who will be lied to about getting their marshmallows, and then see if next time they eat the ones presented to them immediately despite assurances that it won't happen again. See how many iterations it takes before none of the kids will wait.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

coyo7e posted:

The scariest part about all of that cortisol poo poo, is that they've already found that high levels of cortisol in children leads to obesity and a ton of other problems, on top of also affecting how their brains develop and negatively affecting their decision-making and planning abilities for the rest of their life, if they developed while under consistent high stress levels.

I developed in a great household with two loving parents and no problems and I still wound up being a fat lovely impulsive lamewad. Checkmate, science :smug:

oh. :smith:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I developed in a great household with two loving parents and no problems and I still wound up being a fat lovely impulsive lamewad. Checkmate, science :smug:

oh. :smith:

It doesn't matter what you've actually done, it matters how high the numbers you get on this glorified phrenology test are. If the numbers are high, any success you don't achieve is due to the Jewluminati keeping you down.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
But don't you remember that psychology was invented by the decadent Jews like Freud (and his evil cousin Edward Bernays), and is a vital part of Frankfurt School philosophy?!!??!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

neonnoodle posted:

But don't you remember that psychology was invented by the decadent Jews like Freud (and his evil cousin Edward Bernays), and is a vital part of Frankfurt School philosophy?!!??!

This is an important point. We in the Dark Enlightenment should strive to only accept those parts of psychology blessed by statistics or evo-psych.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Toph Bei Fong posted:

That would be an interesting (if really mean and very unethical) experiment: run it again with a 3rd group who will be lied to about getting their marshmallows, and then see if next time they eat the ones presented to them immediately despite assurances that it won't happen again. See how many iterations it takes before none of the kids will wait.
Not really, that's actually the stuff you usually would learn about in Psych 101 and there's plenty of research on impulse vs reward, and how long a subject will persist a behavior if the reward is intermittent, removed, or otherwise messed with. The most poignant was probably the one with the puppy, the light and the electrified floor - once they randomized the timing between the light going off and the floor electrifying, the dog would eventually just give up trying to avoid it and lie down and ignore the light. There's plenty of marshmallow experiments involving chimps as well, and I'd imagine they've tried lying in certain studies, although "poisoning" the subject presents both ethical and logistical problems when you have a limited/valuable pool to draw from.. All psychological researchers and students who work with humans certainly are very familiar with The Belmont Report because of concerns about being inhumane to subjects, and lying to impressionable children could be a very questionable and risky (for the respondent, not to mention the legal repurcussions potentially) thing to undetake.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Jun 9, 2015

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

What do Dark Enlightenment folks think of D.H. Lawrence?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I had heard of Alex :airquote: "Kirkegaard" :airquote: before, and vaguely remembered him as some bugfuck insane MLG PRO COMPETITIVE gamer with an obnoxiously obtuse, pseudo-philosophical writing style, who made notorious piece of poo poo David Sirlin (noted for talking about how a grown man had the right to force a small girl off an arcade machine and make her cry because he was better at fighting games than she was) look sane. And it turns out he's a Nazi too!

UnoriginalMind posted:

Similarly, Alexander Pushkin, who is considered to be the greatest Russian poet of all time if not the greatest Russian writer. Wikipedia says his great-grandfather was brought over from Africa, so that makes him 1/4 of African descent, right? I never read him, but a professor of mine specialized in his work and mentioned that his heritage was pretty well known and people often made fun of his lips. In response, he dueled people all the time.

Goodness, an important part of western culture being influenced by Africa?! UNSPEAKABLE.
I'm imagining Pushkin blowing away racists with one of those old-timey flintlock pistols and it's just magical.

E: Aurini is such a jackass, I hope he marries the Nordic uberfrau of his dreams just so he can be cucked by a black Muslim lesbian with whom said uberfrau will run off, shattering his fake masculinity just at the moment where he thinks he has perfected it. Everything he desires should be crushed in front of his eyes.

E: and then his ex-wife becomes a communist.

murphyslaw posted:

Aurini calling himself Sargon of Akkad
Oh god, he's THAT GUY. He started popping up in my YouTube recommendations after I subscribed to Feminist Frequency. I've assiduously avoided watching his videos.

:v: Hmm Woolie, you find Anita Sarkeesian entertaining, maybe you would like to hear a reactionary manchild complain about what a wicked person Anita Sarkeesian is? :fuckoff:

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Jun 12, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

neonnoodle posted:

I first heard this in Adam Curtis' The Century of The Self, which I never accociated with neo-reactionaries, just weird stoners.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Woolie Wool posted:

Oh god, he's THAT GUY. He started popping up in my YouTube recommendations after I subscribed to Feminist Frequency. I've assiduously avoided watching his videos.

no I think Aurini and Sargon are different people, they're both reactionary scam artists but they're pulling different cons

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Woolie Wool posted:

:v: Hmm Woolie, you find Anita Sarkeesian entertaining, maybe you would like to hear a reactionary manchild complain about what a wicked person Anita Sarkeesian is? :fuckoff:

I still can't completely get over the fact that an entire dumbass 'community' was formed because a girl said some words about vidyagames on youtube. I can't imagine what's it like to be a grown-rear end adult and care about this poo poo.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

grate deceiver posted:

I still can't completely get over the fact that an entire dumbass 'community' was formed because a girl said some words about vidyagames on youtube. I can't imagine what's it like to be a grown-rear end adult and care about this poo poo.

Have you tried being a delusional manchild?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Pope Guilty posted:

Have you tried being a delusional manchild?

I have, but I can't figure it out either.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Check out the new controversy that has reactos in a tizzy.

http://www.donotlink.com/ffl6

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

neoreactionaries: kicking people out of polite society for their political views is totally cool and good, unless it's being done to me by people I don't agree with

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don't his politics demand that he accept being blacklisted? He should be ok with being enslaved and killed, too.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Lol. They were going to let him present his programming language. Maybe the problem is that this conference is terrible.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Jack Gladney posted:

Don't his politics demand that he accept being blacklisted? He should be ok with being enslaved and killed, too.
excuse me but he is the glorious wealth creator, he should be worshipped and showered in gifts wherever he goes

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

You know a guy's got to be a special piece of work when even Breitbart very carefully avoids actually repeating what he said.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"It's actually very common to critique democracy. This man critiques democracy. Therefore his views are very common

among Belgians pacifying the Congo in 1907."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

neoreactionaries: kicking people out of polite society for their political views is totally cool and good, unless it's being done to me by people I don't agree with

Wouldn't be the first time internet idiots didn't really understand the concepts of censorship and free speech.

Although I think the thing is that they know that their ideal society would not involve freedom of expression and thought, but they also know that the fact that the current society values it lets them play the victim.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Political Whores posted:

Lol. They were going to let him present his programming language. Maybe the problem is that this conference is terrible.

Yeah, pretty much.

David Auerbach's article in Slate about it is hilariously bad, too.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/06/curtis_yarvin_booted_from_strange_loop_it_s_a_big_big_problem.html

quote:

When All It Takes to Be Booted From a Tech Conference Is Being a “Distraction,” We Have a Problem

Yarvin’s canceled presentation centered on Urbit, an idiosyncratic software platform he created, and an associated virtual machine called Nock. I’ve read the specifications, and Yarvin’s project is an intriguing attempt to create an entirely new, universal computation framework based around a virtual machine that is truly distributed from the ground up, so that even tiny amounts of computation can be apportioned across multiple machines. It may, as I suspect, be utterly impractical, but it’s undoubtedly different and a worthy experiment. I would attend a talk on it. But I wouldn’t be able to at Strange Loop now, thanks to a strange figure named Mencius Moldbug.

That’s the nom de Web under which Yarvin writes mind-numbing political tracts. Yarvin/Moldbug is a self-proclaimed “neoreactionary,” an unabashed elitist and inegalitarian in the tradition of Thomas Carlyle, one of his heroes. (He fits neatly into the “Natural-Order Conservative” category of a conservative taxonomy.) His worldview: Democracy sucks, the strong should rule the weak, and we could use a good old-fashioned dictator to clean up this mess. That, and he believes that “human biodiversity”—as in the “science” of racial differences, à la The Bell Curve—is real, valid, and very important. Neoreactionary thinking is far more complicated and far more verbose than this—which is in part a deliberate attempt to keep the great unwashed from paying too much attention to such Important Thought. If you’re curious, the tireless Scott Alexander of Slate Star Codex has written extensive rebuttals of neoreactionary theory, which go to prove Brandolini’s Law: “The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it.” The neoreactionaries make up a small and mostly ignorable corner of the Internet, but because they include a number of techies and wonks, they have drawn attention and criticism from outlets like the Baffler and the Daily Beast, all of which served to raise the neoreactionary profile far higher than it ever would have made it on its own. If you want serious reactionary activity, look to Congress.

Normally I would have no cause to write about neoreactionary politics—it is eminently inconsequential—except that Yarvin was tossed out of Strange Loop because of his writings. Strange Loop creator and organizer Alex Miller made this public statement regarding his decision to rescind Yarvin’s invitation:

quote:

A large number of current and former speakers and attendees contacted me to say that they found Curtis’s writings objectionable. I have not personally read them. ... If Curtis was part of the program, his mere inclusion and/or presence would overshadow the content of his talk and become the focus.

The decision to toss Yarvin is foolish but not because it’s censorship. By making the issue about Yarvin being a “distraction,” Miller has created a perverse incentive. By that logic, anyone could get tossed from the conference if enough people object for any reason at all. Miller admits as much when he says he hasn’t even read Yarvin’s political writing. (I can’t blame him.) Ergo, make enough noise, and you can get your target kicked out of Strange Loop. This is the mentality of “no platforming,” as it’s known in the U.K., a tactic that was once used to exclude (sensibly, in my opinion) National Front members from public life but has now become so widespread that even the hard-left New Statesman is objecting to the practice. If the problem is, as Miller wrote to Yarvin, that people’s “reactions are overshadowing the talk and acting as a distraction,” then all objectors need to do is create a distraction to get a presenter thrown out.

"First, they came for the nazis, and I said nothing, because I was not a nazi..."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/06/curtis_yarvin_booted_from_strange_loop_it_s_a_big_big_problem.html

The decision to toss Yarvin is foolish but not because it’s censorship. By making the issue about Yarvin being a “distraction,” Miller has created a perverse incentive. By that logic, anyone could get tossed from the conference if enough people object for any reason at all. Miller admits as much when he says he hasn’t even read Yarvin’s political writing. (I can’t blame him.) Ergo, make enough noise, and you can get your target kicked out of Strange Loop. This is the mentality of “no platforming,” as it’s known in the U.K., a tactic that was once used to exclude (sensibly, in my opinion) National Front members from public life but has now become so widespread that even the hard-left New Statesman is objecting to the practice. If the problem is, as Miller wrote to Yarvin, that people’s “reactions are overshadowing the talk and acting as a distraction,” then all objectors need to do is create a distraction to get a presenter thrown out.

"First, they came for the nazis, and I said nothing, because I was not a nazi..."
[/quote]

Friend of Gamergate David Auerbach who writes long blog posts complaining about Wikipedia editing wars? Say it ain't so!

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Wasn't hoon mentioned in the now-deceased Less-Wrong thread? I'm trying to remember if it was the "XML, but designed by a person fully in the grip of schizophrenia", or if that was one of the other poorly-conceived jargonfest "languages".

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is one of the best lines written in English that I have ever read. Well done, sir.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

[/quote]

I think Auerbach has a point about the logic of "distraction." If followed consistently, it's pretty self-defeating. I'm not sure why they can't just be honest and say "We don't want to give a platform to far-rightists."

Calling it "a big, big problem" seems like a stretch, though.

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Jun 12, 2015

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Wales Grey posted:

Wasn't hoon mentioned in the now-deceased Less-Wrong thread? I'm trying to remember if it was the "XML, but designed by a person fully in the grip of schizophrenia", or if that was one of the other poorly-conceived jargonfest "languages".

The XML thing was Flare. Hoon is hundreds of pages of this ("fully in the grip of schizophrenia" is dead on though):
code:
  +-  uni                                               ::  union, merge
    ~/  %uni
    |*  b=_a
    |-  ^+  a
    ?~  b
      a
    ?~  a
      b
    ?:  (vor p.n.a p.n.b)
      ?:  =(p.n.b p.n.a)
        [n.b $(a l.a, b l.b) $(a r.a, b r.b)]
      ?:  (gor p.n.b p.n.a)
        $(a [n.a $(a l.a, b [n.b l.b ~]) r.a], b r.b)
      $(a [n.a l.a $(a r.a, b [n.b ~ r.b])], b l.b)
    ?:  =(p.n.a p.n.b)
      [n.b $(b l.b, a l.a) $(b r.b, a r.a)]
    ?:  (gor p.n.a p.n.b)
      $(b [n.b $(b l.b, a [n.a l.a ~]) r.b], a r.a)
    $(b [n.b l.b $(b r.b, a [n.a ~ r.a])], a l.a)

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

So what even is hoon, some sort of alternative compiler with a painfully unfriendly syntax?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Friend of Gamergate David Auerbach who writes long blog posts complaining about Wikipedia editing wars? Say it ain't so!

Exactly, isn't the author of the Slate article a neoreactionary himself or at least a fellow-traveler?

Aerial Tollhouse
Feb 17, 2011
If you're gonna talk about crazy programming languages, you might as well talk about Moldbug's own crazy language

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

eschaton posted:

Exactly, isn't the author of the Slate article a neoreactionary himself or at least a fellow-traveler?

A'yup. He's skeptical of some things, loves privacy, and loves Slate Star Codex.

Only a white man would have posted:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/10/how_to_end_gamergate_a_divide_and_conquer_plan.html
How to End Gamergate
A divide-and-conquer plan for dissolving a toxic online movement.
By David Auerbach

Gamers are people, too.

Gamergate must end as soon as possible. The human cost in harassment, threats, stress, and sheer nastiness is too high. People, disproportionately women, are harassed and doxed on a daily basis—in a few cases, even driven from their homes under threat of rape and murder. The Gamergate “debate,” such as it is, currently boils down to people screaming “It’s actually about ethics in gaming journalism!” and “It’s actually about misogyny in the gaming world!” at each other on Twitter. People are forced to take sides or else get caught in the crossfire.

It is imperative to stop Gamergate because it’s currently a troll’s paradise, providing cover for a whole host of bad actors, whether they’re pro-Gamergate, anti-Gamergate, or simply wantonly malicious. Whatever a troll does under the cover of Gamergate—such as doxxing actress Felicia Day or offering free game codes to accounts that send death threats—is guaranteed to get a lot of attention (far more than typical Internet harassment) and to be blamed not on the individual but on Gamergate collectively. For a troll, this is a perfect setup: maximum effect, minimal exposure. I could dox any woman in gaming, and Gamergate would get blamed. So as long as Gamergate drags on, trolls who care less about games than about causing chaos will wreak havoc. Even some of the anti-feminist members of Gamergate still try at least to appear reasonable in order to get their distasteful points across. It’s the psychos, the hateful teenagers, and the diehard trolls who perform the scariest acts, and both sides of Gamergate serve them well. As a thoughtful IGN editorial put it, “[A]dditional visibility only encourages those who want to use the Movement as a means to stop rather than start discussions.” (For this reason, I will not be repeating the grisly details of specific harassment incidents here.)

I recently spoke to a number of vocally anti-Gamergate people and asked them how they planned to end Gamergate. Nobody knew. The standard reply was, “Gamergate should stop harassing people,” which is not an answer. The best I got was, “Gamergaters will get tired of it eventually,” but that’s not good enough. These people are watching a house on fire and refusing to dial 911 because they’re trying to shame the arsonist into making the call.

(For those who think I have gone too easy on Gamergate, please imagine here the worst invective against Gamergate you can imagine, including comparisons to the Cultural Revolution, the Black Death, and Jeffrey Dahmer.)

From the beginning, no one has really contested the idea that much of the gaming press is crap.

You probably can’t kill Gamergate altogether, any more than you can kill misogyny. Even Gamergate’s own members can’t stop their movement, since there’s no central authority. They’re able to manage coordinated action to a point, such as with letter-writing campaigns and attempts to police harassment coming from their ranks. But they can’t stop trolls and lunatics from sending death threats. (Neither can the FBI, it seems, as Amanda Hess reports.) They can’t stop the frequent breaches in tone that go well beyond the bounds of civility. Because they can’t suddenly dissolve their movement, instead you need to reduce the number of active Gamergaters through a strategy of divide and conquer, until what’s left is too small and rancid to appear appealing or effective.

What I’ll try to present below is the quickest way to reduce Gamergate’s members from thousands to hundreds. It is a political plan, not an ideological one, designed to curb the harassment without promoting any particular agenda. You can educate people later not to be misogynists, once people have stopped getting hurt. This isn’t Stonewall.

WHAT DIDN’T WORK

Ending Gamergate will not happen by moral grandstanding. Let’s quickly go over tactics that have been tried so far to stop Gamergate, none of which have worked:

Hyperbolic comparisons of Gamergate to ISIS, the KKK, fascists, terrorists, Ebola, child pornography, etc., etc.
Endless ridicule and antagonism of Gamergaters on Twitter.
Convenient erasure of Gamergate’s many female, LGBTQ, and minority members, however wrong they may be.
Telling Intel and others they are misogynist cowards when they pull advertising.
Hauling out celebrities to condemn Gamergate and telling them their heroes hate them.
Threatening to blacklist Gamergate members from the gaming industry.
Wishful-thinking pieces like “So Long, Gamergate.”
Fire-and-brimstone sermons like “Stop supporting Gamergate.”
Shutting all gamers (not just Gamergate members) out of media discourse.
The old “video games cause violence” canard, unproven as ever.
Defective quantitative analysis.
Defective social science.
Obtuse social theorizing.

But how do you deal with an amorphous, leaderless, chaotic, and incomprehensible movement like Gamergate?

[...blah blah blah convert the moderates by being nicer to them don't call them bigots don't be mean to them aren't there a bunch of jerks on the other side too? and hasn't this actually resulted in more ethical gaming journalism?...]

So here’s the deal: After gaming journalism, tech journalism, and Gawker have begun to clean up their acts, after there’s some real admission of bad faith and hypocrisy on the part of some of these journalists, and after there’s some good conversation going with the moderates, the movement will start to fracture, as moderates will feel that a) the press is coming to terms with its own shortcomings and b) there are some unpleasant extremists in Gamergate. At that point, the only force keeping moderates in the movement will be inertia.

That’s when the gaming industry should declare an amnesty. Set a date before which using the Gamergate tag will not be cause for blacklisting, disqualification, or other prejudice in the industry. With any luck, some trust will have been forged between moderates and non-Gamergaters, and the moderates will be willing to leave the company of men’s rights activists and hateful teenagers to rejoin mainstream society. A few conciliatory apologies and “Things were said …” editorials would greatly help matters. (You should also lay off the “misogynerd” talk during this time, and preferably forever. That’s not critique—that’s name-calling.)

You may be understandably hesitant to make such an offer to people who have been associated with the Gamergate movement. But if South Africa’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission can do it, I don’t think I’m asking so much. The particular flashpoint of Gamergate will recur in different forms, and you want as many people on the side of decency as possible.

South Africa's TRC, by the by, did basically gently caress all to reconcile longstanding differences, and is widely seen to be weighted in favor of those who benefited from the apartheid system, as the more complete a confession they made, the closer they were to full amnesty for their crimes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Toph Bei Fong posted:

A'yup. He's skeptical of some things, loves privacy, and loves Slate Star Codex.

Somehow I don't think that article proves what you think it does.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Somehow I don't think that article proves what you think it does.

That he's a... What's the word for the opposite of a useful idiot? Someone who thinks they're being fair and intelligent, but is actually giving the one side exactly what it wants at the expense of the other? Fellow traveler doesn't work unless we're counting Less Wrong, et al., as neoreactionary, but he cites Scott Alexander and Eliezer Yudkowsky with praise a little too frequently not be associated with them.

Auerbach sometimes makes interesting points, but doesn't always think through all the possible implications of his plans.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Scott Alexander is pretty explicitly not neoreactionary though, and Eliezer pointed towards his anti writings when asked about the subject.

Don't get me wrong, they have plenty of other failings, but that's not one. The SSC commentariat is gross and getting worse, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Etalommi posted:

Scott Alexander is pretty explicitly not neoreactionary though, and Eliezer pointed towards his anti writings when asked about the subject.

Don't get me wrong, they have plenty of other failings, but that's not one. The SSC commentariat is gross and getting worse, though.

He's not a neoreactionary, but he quotes them a lot, references their blogs, and treats them as smarter than pretty much all other political commentators because of their meta-level insights or whatever.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Aerial Tollhouse posted:

If you're gonna talk about crazy programming languages, you might as well talk about Moldbug's own crazy language

That loving page posted:

It's perhaps how you'd do computing in a post-singularity world, where computational speed and bandwidth are infinite, and what's valuable is security, trust, creativity, and collaboration. It's essentially a combination of a programming language, OS, virtual machine, social network, and digital identity platform.

Read this far, had to quote it. He's writing an... unguided... thing, for computers which he is assuming already have infinite power. In other words, he has no idea how to make anything efficient, but isn't going to let that stop him from scope-creeping the gently caress out of his little military-themed coding plan accident.

One of the entries under the heading 'downsides' posted:

It's unclear how much computation speed, bandwidth, and storage are needed to make this viable. E.g. when your computer stores a log of every computation you've ever run, how much storage space is needed per year? Similarly, when your computer crashes, how much time is needed to replay your past transactions to get back to your current state? And how much bandwidth is needed to make it viable to run software that's chained together from code modules across the Internet?

This poo poo is clearly based on the bitcoin blockchain. It's bitcoin as a computer language, which is also a social network and an operating system.

Amazing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Aerial Tollhouse posted:

I don't program so I don't know how stupid and crazy it is, but

quote:

The basic concept is that Urbit is a global computer combined with a global filesystem. Each physical hardware component on the network is represented as a 'ship'. These ships range from carriers (the largest, only 256 in existence) down to submarines (the smallest, effectively infinite). Ships are used to run computation locally, and to send and receive encrypted messages with other ships.

Carriers are 8-bit ships. There are 256 total carriers and each can create 2^24 destroyers.
Cruisers are 16-bit ships. There are 65,280 cruisers and each cruiser can create 2^16 destroyers.
Destroyers are 32-bit ships. There are 4,294,901,760 total destroyers. Each destroyer represents a unique reputation in Urbit, for either an individual or an organization. A destroyer is not controlled by the carrier or cruiser that created it; the main perk of owning a carrier or cruiser is being allocated a fixed number of destroyers to create, an asset like land that hopefully appreciates over time.
Yachts are 64-bit ships. Each destroyer can create up to 4,294,901,760 yachts. Each yacht is controlled by its destroyer. Whereas each destroyer is an independent reputation, each yacht might be a device associated with that reputation. For example, if a university had a destroyer then each yacht might be a laptop or cellphone belonging to a student.
Submarines are 128-bit ships. They are ephemeral, have no reputation associated with them, and can be created or destroyed without a carrier or cruiser. One use case for submarines is participating in digital spaces that allow (or encourage) anonymity.

What the everloving gently caress is the obsession with ships for these people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006
LessWrong mock thread is shut so I'll post this here:

quote:

The article claims that men outnumber women in cryonics 3-to-1, and I therefore suspect that the majority of spouses who object are on the female side. When a woman claims that using cryonics is selfish, she doesn't mean that its selfish of arbitrary person in general - she is accusing YOU of being selfish with respect to HER. In what way, you might ask? If not for the direct objections of many, I'd wager that it is more about her sense of entitlement and significance in his life, which is threatened by the prospect of a permanent or much longer life on his part.

I have had conversations with people of both sexes about this topic because gender relations and their differences of opinion are of great interest to me. What follows below is the patchwork I have stitched together of the true female objections to a mate undergoing cryonic suspension.

I believe many women have a constant low-level hatred of men at a conscious or subconscious level and their narcissistic quest for entitlement and significance begrudges him any pursuit that isn't going to lead directly to producing, providing, protecting, and problem solving for her. It would evolutionarily be in her best interest to pull as many emotional and physical levers to bend as much of his energies toward her and their offspring as she can get away with and less away from himself. That would translate as a feeling of revulsion toward cryonics that is visceral but which she dares not state directly to avoid alerting her mate to her true nature.

She doesn't want him to live for decades, centuries, or millenia more in a possibly healthier and more youthful state where he might meet and fall in love with new mates. She doesn't want her memory in his mind to fade into insignificance as the fraction of time she spent with him since she has died to be a smaller and smaller fraction of his total existence; reduced to the equivalent in his memory of an interesting conversation with a stranger on the sidewalk one summer afternoon. She doesn't want him to live for something more important than HER.

So why not just insist she join him in cryonic suspension? Many of these same wives and girlfriends hate their life even when they are succeeding. Everyone is familiar with the endless complaints, tears, and heartache that make up the vast majority of the female experience stemming from frustration of her hypergamous instinct to be the princess she had always hoped to be and from resentment of his male nature, hopes, dreams, and aspirations. She thinks: "He wasn't sexually satisfying! He isn't romantic enough! He never took me anywhere! He didn't pay attention to me! Our kids aren't successes! We live in a dump! His hobbies are a waste of time and money! My mother always told me I can do better, and his mother will never stop criticizing me! I am fat, ugly, unsuccessful, old, tired, and weary of my responsibilities, idiosyncrasies, insecurities, fears, and pain. My life sucked but at least it could MEAN something to those most important to me." But if they are around for too long it shrinks in importance over time.

She wants you to die forever because she hates what you are. She wants to die too, because she hates what she is. She wants us all to die because she hates what the world is and has meant to her.

With some of the details changed the men who object to their mate undergoing cryonics probably boils down to the same principles of jealousy and fear of insignificance. Personally, if I had a mate who objected strongly I would tell them it was too bad and do it anyway. If they made direct moves to prevent me from doing so it would be better off to lose them and be with someone more supportive of what I believe in and hope for.