Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

TheHoodedClaw posted:

gently caress TFIF. It was always wanky lad bollocks. The Tube was the great show. Sadly, Jools Holland, Leslie Ash and Muriel Grey are all different people nowadays, and poor Paula Yates is dead, but this is what you used to get on your tea-time music show on Channel 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLFpYjjQsqc The Cramps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUePUyzY_5A Iggy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqf_EXBZxK8 The Fall (niche)

https://vimeo.com/81370136 Cocteau Twins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znjRf1zh2fA Killing Joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUxaPoy8uWM U2, with Bono showing proto-wanker tendencies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUdZIpveWnc REM when they were children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCB835WJsgs The Bunnymen

Sure, it's all white, all the time, but at least no band as plodding and dull as Reef or Ocean loving Paint Colour Scene would have been given studio time.

I would rather listen to Ocean Colour Scene, Blur and Pulp than any of those bollocks bands. With the exception of The Bunnymen.

U2 lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

reformed bad troll posted:

I would rather listen to Ocean Colour Scene

Why do you hate music, life, the universe and everything?

It's just a generational thing I suppose. TFI Friday just seemed a bit safe and mundane compared to The Tube.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TheHoodedClaw posted:

It's just a generational thing I suppose. TFI Friday just seemed a bit safe and mundane compared to The Tube.

Implying that watching the Tube is gonna blow the lid off your bourgeois existence or something. Paula Yates was the worst

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

TheHoodedClaw posted:

If there's one thing I know about UK 30somethings, it's that a surprising % are Britpop apologists. That's why they brought back TFI I suppose.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
On the other hand, an unsurprisingly large number are cultural snobs who insist that their preferred thing is much better than your preferred thing and you should really enjoy this thing they insist is better rather than whatever thing you normally enjoy.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The best Channel 4 music show was actually The White Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTlQJ3-tKA

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Implying that watching the Tube is gonna blow the lid off your bourgeois existence or something. Paula Yates was the worst

Nothing as complicated as that, heh. It's just what you are exposed to at about 13 seems much more vital. Anyway, forgive an old man for having a nostalgia fest late on a Friday, and thinking that it was a good idea to post the links in this thread. I've got a really bad hangover right now, so please shooosh.

You're right about Paula though, but she was the worst in a good way.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Junkenstein posted:

The best Channel 4 music show was actually The White Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTlQJ3-tKA

Anything with Rocket From The Crypt is automatically the best thing

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The best channel 4 music show was The Trip.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
The Word

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Mock the Week's back again and they are awfully aware that since Buzzcocks got the chop, this could be next. :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wouldn't be upset if it was, since I love Dara O'Briain but don't really care about Mock the Week. If that went, he might do something better in it's place.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mock the Week, a show that's always been as terrible and unimaginative as its own title.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I want Dara O'Briain, Professor Brian Cox and maybe someone else smart and funny like Chris Addison or Ben Goldacre to make a Top Gear style show about science and technology instead of cars, where the BBC funds them to fly around the world to meet innovators and inventors in lots of different fields and shoot the poo poo with them while trying out their latest inventions. Not just dopey poo poo like slightly better mobile phones, but properly exciting stuff like printable bionics, augmented reality, sixthsense and so on - stuff they can play with and have some fun with on camera essentially.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Science Club bombed but it was a good start.

On a side note, if you ever get a chance to talk to Robin Ince, ask him how he feels about Science Club. That was a fun conversation. He'd been pitching a similar show for years and they never went for it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The problem with that is that it's just not very bombastic or energizing, it's more thoughtful and exploratory. If you stick less to subjects like reproduction or time travel and more to actual inventions and technology you have stuff you can show off, play around with and get people interested in science through them.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Nothing as complicated as that, heh. It's just what you are exposed to at about 13 seems much more vital. Anyway, forgive an old man for having a nostalgia fest late on a Friday, and thinking that it was a good idea to post the links in this thread. I've got a really bad hangover right now, so please shooosh.

You're right about Paula though, but she was the worst in a good way.

I am younger than The Tube and I think that the bulk of Britpop was overmarketed, bland rehashing of the previous 30 years of British rock, that your links were good, and that the bands therein piss from a great height onto Ocean Colour Scene's face and eyes. Also, some of the piss has splashed into their mouths; ladies and gentlemen, the situation speaks for itself.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

GimpChimp posted:

I am younger than The Tube and I think that the bulk of Britpop was overmarketed, bland rehashing of the previous 30 years of British rock, that your links were good, and that the bands therein piss from a great height onto Ocean Colour Scene's face and eyes. Also, some of the piss has splashed into their mouths; ladies and gentlemen, the situation speaks for itself.

(Emphasis mine.)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What is it about 90s music that makes people angrily insist that widely popular music was terrible and Damon Albarn was tantamount to a child murderer? I've seen this exact argument like five times in he past week because of TFI Friday.

And as for the other discussion going on, they should reboot Tomorrow's World but "Top Gear-ify" it. It seems crazy that we don't have TW on any more with all the crazy poo poo that's being invented these days.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Top Gear was / is poo poo - why ruin Tomorrow's World trying to be like it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tomorrow's world would just turn into the gadget show that's on channel 5. Not that there's anything wrong with that, there's a definite place on telly for a programme that keeps up with the toys and novelties coming out.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
So It Goes was the best music show, apart from the hitman and her obviously

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dead Goon posted:

Top Gear was / is poo poo - why ruin Tomorrow's World trying to be like it?

I wasn't aware you could ruin Tomorrow's World. I certainly wouldn't have thought finding a couple of presenters who get on well and giving them more freedom to play around with their content along with locations and allowing them to play around with their subjects in fun ways would be the way to do it if you could though.

goatface posted:

Tomorrow's world would just turn into the gadget show that's on channel 5. Not that there's anything wrong with that, there's a definite place on telly for a programme that keeps up with the toys and novelties coming out.

The point would be not to have everything be about gadgets that you'll be able to buy in a years time, but to be about stuff that is only in development and might not be around for a decade or more as a consumer goods as well as stuff that isn't consumer at all like NASA and ESA projects, the LHC, robotics development from MIT and so on.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

thehustler posted:

On a side note, if you ever get a chance to talk to Robin Ince, ask him how he feels about Science Club. That was a fun conversation. He'd been pitching a similar show for years and they never went for it.

I'd rather ask him why he's such a smug oval office.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Comrade Fakename posted:

What is it about 90s music that makes people angrily insist that widely popular music was terrible and Damon Albarn was tantamount to a child murderer? I've seen this exact argument like five times in he past week because of TFI Friday.

To be fair, it was terrible then too - not just now. I don't hate Albarn because I don't mind Gorillaz, but the cheese loving one is a bit of a tool and the Oasis vs Blur thing just had me hating both sides.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

To be fair, it was terrible then too - not just now. I don't hate Albarn because I don't mind Gorillaz, but the cheese loving one is a bit of a tool and the Oasis vs Blur thing just had me hating both sides.

Both Albarn and Coxon came across as awful cunts to me in that doc that came out when they got back together, but I found the other two ok in that. Despite that, I have liked pretty much every music project Albarn's been involved in. Thought The Good The Bad and The Queen's album was excellent.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

EL BROMANCE posted:

Remember folks, the correct answers to Oasis vs Blur are either Pulp or Suede.

Gorillaz are decent though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kin posted:

Infinitely better than anything Nick Grimshaw has been involved with.

Hey, he was ace in Murder In Successville.

He was the only one to successfully solve the case!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey, he was ace in Murder In Successville.

He was the only one to successfully solve the case!

He was probably just putting effort in so he could get more chummy with whatever celebs were involved with it. That's his entire gimmick.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The last episode of episodes had a hilarious friends joke in it. It's a good show.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I keep meaning to watch the series(es) of Episodes after the first one but I never get round to it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
May i point you all in the direction of Matt Berry Does Father's Day, thanks

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Watch that after you watch The Savage Peace, also on iplayer, because holy gently caress you'll need something after that (but watch it anyway).

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Watch that after you watch The Savage Peace, also on iplayer, because holy gently caress you'll need something after that (but watch it anyway).

Yeah, I watched that recently. I've seen a lot of war docs, but that was one of the most difficult to watch. Well worth a look, though.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Damon Albarn's entire career has been justified by how loving mad Michael Nyman got at the inclusion of 'hollerin' into the score they did together. Also Monkey was fun.

In summary C4 should just put hollerin on TV.

S
Apr 30, 2005

nick grimshaw wasnt in murder in successville. also there are no actual celebs in it apart from that week's guest star and to call them celebs would be reaching

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Mickolution posted:

I'd rather ask him why he's such a smug oval office.

Wow, that's more posts than I imagined before somebody came along with that old line.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

goatface posted:

We need more Look Around You.

S posted:

nick grimshaw wasnt in murder in successville. also there are no actual celebs in it apart from that week's guest star and to call them celebs would be reaching

He was probably getting confused with Greg James

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 15, 2015

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Remember folks, the correct answers to Oasis vs Blur are either Pulp or Suede.

Or Supergrass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon posted:

Or Supergrass.

Is actually the charlatans but you were closest