Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

theradiostillsucks posted:

Christ, there's a guy at a local flea market set up in a permanent storefront who everyone refers to a "the hubcaps and records guy" and even he puts that kickstarted shitpile to shame. Then again, real metal records with a handwritten "overlooked but killer!" on the bag will always trump a Wham dinner party. Looks like they spent a good bit on making it look nice, so at least the next tenant in six months will get some benefit from that.

Hell my local Barnes and Noble has a better selection than this, what a shitpile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Hasters posted:

Hell my local Barnes and Noble has a better selection than this, what a shitpile.

Is it just me or are The Decemberists basically the house band of Barnes and Noble? They're always playing that poo poo in there, but I guess sensitive beard music is pretty much to be expected.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Doctor Cave posted:

Remember that dumb VNYL thing from a little while back? A subscription service where you paid $24 for a few dollar bin records? They apparently used the money from their Kickstarter to open a record store. Here is some video footage someone took. It's easily the most embarrassing record store I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BuARcGqn4

Wow, that is loving dire. Typically when you have a record store the idea is to have records in it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What's wrong with the store again? It looks pretty cool and it seems like they're busy. Is it because a guy wearing google glasses was making fun of them?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
looks like a fine store imo

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

BigFactory posted:

What's wrong with the store again? It looks pretty cool and it seems like they're busy. Is it because a guy wearing google glasses was making fun of them?

They've got a handful of poo poo records and its staffed by hipster cuntbags with metal herpes

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Banano posted:

They've got a handful of poo poo records and its staffed by hipster cuntbags with metal herpes

The girls working there were nice and seemed enthusiastic about working there. And the store wasn't full of crates of garbage like most record stores.

It's the kind of space I'd shop in.

Edit: I mean, cuntbags with metal herpes? Are you for real?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 13, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't they gently caress over the people that backed them on Kickstarter?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Banano posted:

lmao come on

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
that's really the way you think and talk?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
let's set aside the idea of using hipster as a pejorative while posting in a thread about vinyl collecting

metal herpes? cuntbag? i hope you're embarrassed about posting that and think harder before posting next time

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

stay depressed posted:

let's set aside the idea of using hipster as a pejorative while posting in a thread about vinyl collecting

why?

stay depressed posted:

metal herpes? cuntbag? i hope you're embarrassed about posting that and think harder before posting next time

cuntbag is unfair, I admit. However, they're either so dishonestly enthusiastic or ridiculously naive about the meagre selection that poo poo Record Club 2 : The Store has that they deserve to be mocked roundly until they go out of business in six months time

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Would love to end this derail by showing a killer score of stuff I've gotten, but my life has been kind of turned upside down over the past month and a half since I moved from Florida, and most tragically of all, it's severely cut into my crate digging time.

My lone purchase since I made it to RVA, but I think it's a good one:

Kudos for the Deep Groove recommendation earlier in the thread. They're the size of a shoebox, but it's solid quality.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Their entire inventory seems to be about two and a half milk crates full of dollar bin records. Also their busyness consisted of one guy who probably knows the owners playing with the listening station. And not for nothing, I wouldn't shop at a music store whose selection is curated by someone who listens to Wham.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

because you are a hipster

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Banano posted:

cuntbag is unfair, I admit. However, they're either so dishonestly enthusiastic or ridiculously naive about the meagre selection that poo poo Record Club 2 : The Store has that they deserve to be mocked roundly until they go out of business in six months time

actually all of it is unfair and you didn't 'roundly mock' them in a way that was funny and endearing, just sad and cruel. i'm sure they'll get business because their aesthetic is more in-tune to the people who are buying vinyl now. people who for some reason enjoy digging through herb alpert trash and then paying money for it wouldn't understand the idea of curated content anyway.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

stay depressed posted:

actually all of it is unfair and you didn't 'roundly mock' them in a way that was funny and endearing, just sad and cruel. i'm sure they'll get business because their aesthetic is more in-tune to the people who are buying vinyl now. people who for some reason enjoy digging through herb alpert trash and then paying money for it wouldn't understand the idea of curated content anyway.

There are actual record stores with curated selections that aren't just thrift store left overs. Though I agree with you that the whole "metal herpes cuntbag" poo poo is a dumbass thing to say.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Does curated mean "categorized by the stereotypical person that buys this stuff?" Let's curate the Grateful Dead together with Allman Bros. and Dave Matthews.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

CPL593H posted:

There are actual record stores with curated selections that aren't just thrift store left overs. Though I agree with you that the whole "metal herpes cuntbag" poo poo is a dumbass thing to say.

I don't understand what you guys want record stores to sell. You deride this place for having "dollar bin" records but that's all people seem to buy in this thread. If you're all going to keep buying those dadrock records you can't also act like selling them is some kind of mis-step. You're the ones creating the market. Isn't it a good thing that people are buying records at all?

if people are constantly picking them up from goodwill/thrift stores (which they are), why not pick them up from a nicer place with an organized curated selection and some level of quality control? is the negative reaction to this store some kind of thing where you'd rather have record stores be dusty piles of boxes so it feels more like "work" to dig out a soundtrack to The Sting and pay for it? it doesn't match your aesthetic but that doesn't make it a bad shop. I'd shop at that place if for some reason I needed a copy of Aja but didn't want to dig one out at the flea market that's got a huge gouge in the B side. You all openly shop at urban outfitters and hot topic for records so why is this place, a UO with no clothes, all the sudden bad?

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 13, 2015

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If a record shop doesn't smell like patchouli I turn around and walk right back out the door.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
That's a lot of words defending a place that categorizes records by vibes instead of genres lmbo

sorry #vibe, my mistake

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 13, 2015

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

lol if you think genres are more than a social construct

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

bowmore posted:

Yep. It's actually an interesting read: http://www.stereogum.com/1801049/vnyl-sliding-why-the-netflix-for-vinyl-service-is-such-a-mess/franchises/essay/

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stay depressed posted:

I don't understand what you guys want record stores to sell. You deride this place for having "dollar bin" records but that's all people seem to buy in this thread. If you're all going to keep buying those dadrock records you can't also act like selling them is some kind of mis-step. You're the ones creating the market. Isn't it a good thing that people are buying records at all?

if people are constantly picking them up from goodwill/thrift stores (which they are), why not pick them up from a nicer place with an organized curated selection and some level of quality control? is the negative reaction to this store some kind of thing where you'd rather have record stores be dusty piles of boxes so it feels more like "work" to dig out a soundtrack to The Sting and pay for it? it doesn't match your aesthetic but that doesn't make it a bad shop. I'd shop at that place if for some reason I needed a copy of Aja but didn't want to dig one out at the flea market that's got a huge gouge in the B side. You all openly shop at urban outfitters and hot topic for records so why is this place, a UO with no clothes, all the sudden bad?

B&M independent music stores died because they were dirty weird places that most people have no interest going into. And even people in this thread who probably buy all their records from Amazon bemoan the loss of old school music stores.

And then a store comes along that tries to put a boutique spin on a dying industry to do something different and they poo poo on it in a boring and predictable way. Cool.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The problem's not that they're 99 cent records, it's that they're 99 cent records being marketed as "vintage", with an appropriate markup. I'd like to see the price tags, because that would then solidify it, but going on the basis of their original plan's $24 a month for $3 (or less) worth of records, they're probably charging an arm and a leg for them.

Also "dinner party" vibe ahahahaha what

who the gently caress has dinner parties where you play your finest yacht rock?

e: I mean, I hope they do well and end up not loving people over, but their track record so far isn't the greatest.

ee: http://blurtonline.com/feature/love-will-find-a-way-the-vnyl-subscription-service-blows-it-pt-1/ oh man, per this article, vnyl pricetagged the three records in the writer's test shipment at $12 apiece.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 13, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

The problem's not that they're 99 cent records, it's that they're 99 cent records being marketed as "vintage", with an appropriate markup. I'd like to see the price tags, because that would then solidify it, but going on the basis of their original plan's $24 a month for $3 (or less) worth of records, they're probably charging an arm and a leg for them.

Also "dinner party" vibe ahahahaha what

who the gently caress has dinner parties where you play your finest yacht rock?

e: I mean, I hope they do well and end up not loving people over, but their track record so far isn't the greatest.

When people will happily shell out hundreds of dollars for Amy Winehouse records I think we can all agree that different people put vastly different values on used records.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, yeah. I also imagine that the neighborhood they're in, you can't get a sandwich for less than $20.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BigFactory posted:

When people will happily shell out hundreds of dollars for Amy Winehouse records I think we can all agree that different people put vastly different values on used records.

Sorry but there's no justifying putting a $12 pricetag on something that can easily be had on discogs/ebay/any other record store for $2. There won't be nearly enough people paying those prices to keep a store like that open long.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/marc_gallow/status/598652387348357121/photo/1

This is still loving incredible.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bowmore posted:

If they did then that's a huge plus. Kickstarting is for chumps :smugmrgw:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe it's a hot stamper?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Oh man it's in Venice Beach? I am making my yearly pilgrimage to Southern California soon, maybe I will swing by there on the way to or from Amoeba and chuckle.

Also does anyone know of a good shop around Encinitas? The downturn of Lou's is still a hole in my heart.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

stay depressed posted:

Do you understand what people actually buy? Yeah, everybody buys dollar bin records since, but it's mostly people not buying that stuff.

My big issue with this store is that they are taking this low end "dollar-bin" stuff and trying to enhance it's value because records are cool and by curating it, you can convince 20 or 30-somethings that buying Helen Reddy's Greatest Hits (an actual record in the bin) is a great idea. They're not actually serving the needs of the market. They're throwing in a lot of poo poo, and then trying to act like it's curated. But who in the hell has heard of Walter Murphy, and who the gently caress is dying to buy his Phantom of the Opera record?

Honestly, their selection reminds me of some of the worse records store I've gone to, where they've taken those goodwill records and try to make them seem cool because they're records. They're trying to hard to be cool, and it feels like they're just jumping on the bandwagon.

As for stores like Urban Outfitters and Hot Topic, if you lived in certain areas, those were the best places to get records since they were the only ones who stocked a regular amount of them. There might not be a record store nearby to get records.

Running a record store is hard, and frankly, they just seem amateurish. It would be like if someone started a retro-videogame store, but only stocked copies of Home Alone 2 for the NES and other games of that caliber. I don't need a store that specializes in that cheap poo poo. You want a store that's going to have cool stuff, like 12 inch singles by Prince or something like that.

Also, their way of stocking music would make shopping there a nightmare. You would have to know whether the music you're looking for is a "Dinner Party" album or a "Between the Sheets" album.

Also, a lot of the hate comes from the bate and switch they pull on their consumers from the Kickstarter, and the fact that they tried to pass off a lot of forgettable 70s and 80s adult contemporary music as something that would appeal to a lot of their consumers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

Do you understand what people actually buy? Yeah, everybody buys dollar bin records since, but it's mostly people not buying that stuff.

My big issue with this store is that they are taking this low end "dollar-bin" stuff and trying to enhance it's value because records are cool and by curating it, you can convince 20 or 30-somethings that buying Helen Reddy's Greatest Hits (an actual record in the bin) is a great idea. They're not actually serving the needs of the market. They're throwing in a lot of poo poo, and then trying to act like it's curated. But who in the hell has heard of Walter Murphy, and who the gently caress is dying to buy his Phantom of the Opera record?

Honestly, their selection reminds me of some of the worse records store I've gone to, where they've taken those goodwill records and try to make them seem cool because they're records. They're trying to hard to be cool, and it feels like they're just jumping on the bandwagon.

As for stores like Urban Outfitters and Hot Topic, if you lived in certain areas, those were the best places to get records since they were the only ones who stocked a regular amount of them. There might not be a record store nearby to get records.

Running a record store is hard, and frankly, they just seem amateurish. It would be like if someone started a retro-videogame store, but only stocked copies of Home Alone 2 for the NES and other games of that caliber. I don't need a store that specializes in that cheap poo poo. You want a store that's going to have cool stuff, like 12 inch singles by Prince or something like that.

Also, their way of stocking music would make shopping there a nightmare. You would have to know whether the music you're looking for is a "Dinner Party" album or a "Between the Sheets" album.

Also, a lot of the hate comes from the bate and switch they pull on their consumers from the Kickstarter, and the fact that they tried to pass off a lot of forgettable 70s and 80s adult contemporary music as something that would appeal to a lot of their consumers.

Walter Murphy was on the Saturday night fever soundtrack. He's pretty famous. But if that's your biggest issue with the store you can bring your phone in and look up artists you're not familiar with.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

This is a pretty good summation of why it's lovely. As a parallel we had a tiny little game/collectibles/comic shop in town several years ago run by three former GameRush employees and it was basically this little shop with like two dozen figures, about a dozen games for the then-major consoles and like two longboxes of random 90s X-Men comics. The place had no clue what it wanted to be or who it was targeted at, promptly closed up and wasn't mourned after it was gone. I guess the three friends that owned it just wanted a storefront for Gears of War tournaments or something.

Part of the problem is their tainted Kickstarter history, but to even open a storefront you should have a reasonable level of stock, which this place doesn't seem to have. I'd wager over half of the even occasional posters in any given vinyl community have collections that dwarf this store. If their stock level was on point, prices weren't ridiculous and the operation didn't just reek of opportunistic bandwagoning then I don't think you'd see so many people making GBS threads on it, with the complaint level going from "I hope it burns to the ground" to "not my thing."

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

Not sure what brought the hate here specifically, but a lot of the stigma against this place is related to the kickstarter. They marketed their campaign as a 'curated vinyl delivery service' and there were a thousand tag lines/articles/publicity about how it would be 'Netflix for vinyl.' The idea was that they would send you a batch of 3 records with some theme you asked for, and you would send them back when you were done and then get another shipment (or you could buy ones you wanted to keep for some dumb markup.)

However, they found out they couldn't actually follow that business model because it is actually illegal to 'rent' records. They didn't tell their kickstarter backers this, and instead made a brick and mortar store - which was never mentioned in the kickstarter. Now they're sending all their kickstarter backers dollar bin records and telling them to keep them, mostly to avoid legal issues of either breaking this 'record renting' law or their campaign they accepted funds for on kickstarter.

Oh also all of their testimonials on their website are photos of and quotes from their staff who works at their store in Venice, CA even though they're quotes put them in various cities across the country.

It's extraordinarily shady, but also anyone backing that kickstarter should have assumed that would happen. Everyone involved is an idiot.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

theradiostillsucks posted:

This is a pretty good summation of why it's lovely. As a parallel we had a tiny little game/collectibles/comic shop in town several years ago run by three former GameRush employees and it was basically this little shop with like two dozen figures, about a dozen games for the then-major consoles and like two longboxes of random 90s X-Men comics. The place had no clue what it wanted to be or who it was targeted at, promptly closed up and wasn't mourned after it was gone. I guess the three friends that owned it just wanted a storefront for Gears of War tournaments or something.

Part of the problem is their tainted Kickstarter history, but to even open a storefront you should have a reasonable level of stock, which this place doesn't seem to have. I'd wager over half of the even occasional posters in any given vinyl community have collections that dwarf this store. If their stock level was on point, prices weren't ridiculous and the operation didn't just reek of opportunistic bandwagoning then I don't think you'd see so many people making GBS threads on it, with the complaint level going from "I hope it burns to the ground" to "not my thing."

Boutique clothing stores often stock a similar level of inventory, or lack there of, and can be very successful. You don't need 100 copies of a new release on display if you have a case of records out back.

Also, there are numerous studies that show that having too much choice in a retail setting can be overwhelming to the consumer and cause them to buy nothing at all (or something that's very familiar to them, like some of the dadrock inventory at this store).

It's a really, really nice looking and smart store you guys.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
lol

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

BigFactory posted:

Boutique clothing stores often stock a similar level of inventory, or lack there of, and can be very successful. You don't need 100 copies of a new release on display if you have a case of records out back.

Also, there are numerous studies that show that having too much choice in a retail setting can be overwhelming to the consumer and cause them to buy nothing at all (or something that's very familiar to them, like some of the dadrock inventory at this store).

It's a really, really nice looking and smart store you guys.

Hey Nick, how's it going!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Like steampunk aficionados, vinyl collectors are fetishizing an obsolete technology. It should not be surprising when things cease being "normal" in such a contrived environment.