Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I've seen people in upstate NY flying the confederate flag from their pickup trucks, people in rural areas are pretty similar regardless of what rural area they're from imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Fuckit, we get people up here in Canada flying them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr Hootington posted:

I always forget the hostility that everyone has towards the "flyover states" on these forums.

I'm from Kansas, my family still lives there. It's flyover as gently caress. My issue in the post you quoted was the Iowan Democratic Party being pissy that Hillary wasn't properly kissing up to them and paying appropriate homage. Why is it wrong that she isn't going to their local dinners or having rallies in their park on Saturday? Just because Iowa has rigged it so they're always the first contest doesn't mean they are actually owed anything.

There are a lot of valid reasons to have smaller states at the front of the primaries, largely having to do with our stupid problems of money in politics. Iowa isn't really the worst choice either. However Iowa and New Hampshire have become so enamored of their traditional place in the races that it's becoming somewhat grating. You don't hear people anywhere else grumbling about how their electoral dick isn't being properly sucked by candidates 9 months before a primary even happens. It's 10 months before the primary in my state and I haven't had candidates tripping over themselves for the better part of 6 months to make multiple appearances here already.

Have your first in the nation contest to restrict who we can vote for when it's our turn. The rest of the country is mostly fine with that. But the sense of entitlement to diner visits, town halls, and rallies is distasteful. Hillary isn't properly begging for your vote, and your attempts to guilt her into it by pointing to Bernie aren't working, boo hoo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Neeksy posted:

The reason people in Iowa are pissed at Fox News doing their weird polls-determine-debate-roster thing is because they feel that it's Fox News picking the candidates they feel are serious/unserious rather than the voters on the ground doing so.

It's more than that, polls can be pretty inaccurate when you are dealing with such a wide field and Fox News hasn't been transparent about what exactly their methodology will be for selecting the polls that will select the candidates. Keep in mind by a polling standard Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich were incredibly viable candidates for the 2012 nomination despite lol.

It's basically Fox capriciously deciding who even gets a chance to play, that's hosed up when a "news" station who has been showing to have absolutely no ethics or integrity and a transparent political agenda is literally picking who even has a chance to play among candidates that are serious. Keep in mind with a polling standard Trump will almost certainly be invited to the debate despite not being a serious or viable candidate at all while say someone like Fiorina would be excluded despite being a much more serious and viable candidate no matter how terrible she is and would never win in a general.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

I've seen people in upstate NY flying the confederate flag from their pickup trucks, people in rural areas are pretty similar regardless of what rural area they're from imo.

I've seen people in Canada and Europe flying Confederate flags. I don't disagree but that drat thing isn't exactly a perfect gauge.

edit: I've also seen it in NYC, LA, Toronto and London. It's less suggestive of anything rural or Southern and more of 'I'm a racist fuckhead'.

Tempest_56 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 13, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

uncurable mlady posted:

I've seen people in the middle of urban Boston with them, but never saw any in rural NH. Anecdotal of course.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary's announcement (will she run?!?!???) is at 11am.

The official Spotify playlist is:
American Authors: Believer
Gym Class Heroes: The Fighter feat. Ryan Tedder
Katy Perry: Roar
Ariana Grande: Break Free
Kelly Clarkson: Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
American Authors: Best Day of My Life
Pharrell Williams: Happy - From "Despicable Me 2"
Jennifer Lopez: Let's Get Loud
NONONO: Pumpin Blood
John Legend: Wake Up Everybody
Sara Bareilles: Brave
Kris Allen: Fighters
Jon Bon Jovi: Beautiful Day
Marc Anthony: Vivir Mi Vida

And Olympian Michelle Kwan is going to be Periscoping the event for the campaign, if you want to watch it on a shaky, blurry phone stream instead of the many news stations with professional camera crews.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yes, there's a Marco Polo. Yes, it comes in red, white, and blue.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Didn't Clinton already announce her run like 2 months ago?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Yes, there's a Marco Polo. Yes, it comes in red, white, and blue.

Why does Rubio hate Alaska, Hawaii, and the territories so much? It's always just the 48 contiguous in his marketing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Didn't Clinton already announce her run like 2 months ago?
This is just some 'official kickoff' even despite her already declaring. I guess technically it's the first real event of her campaign

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Gyges posted:

I'm from Kansas, my family still lives there. It's flyover as gently caress. My issue in the post you quoted was the Iowan Democratic Party being pissy that Hillary wasn't properly kissing up to them and paying appropriate homage. Why is it wrong that she isn't going to their local dinners or having rallies in their park on Saturday? Just because Iowa has rigged it so they're always the first contest doesn't mean they are actually owed anything.

There are a lot of valid reasons to have smaller states at the front of the primaries, largely having to do with our stupid problems of money in politics. Iowa isn't really the worst choice either. However Iowa and New Hampshire have become so enamored of their traditional place in the races that it's becoming somewhat grating. You don't hear people anywhere else grumbling about how their electoral dick isn't being properly sucked by candidates 9 months before a primary even happens. It's 10 months before the primary in my state and I haven't had candidates tripping over themselves for the better part of 6 months to make multiple appearances here already.

Have your first in the nation contest to restrict who we can vote for when it's our turn. The rest of the country is mostly fine with that. But the sense of entitlement to diner visits, town halls, and rallies is distasteful. Hillary isn't properly begging for your vote, and your attempts to guilt her into it by pointing to Bernie aren't working, boo hoo.

Really it isn't about a sense of entitlement from the people I talk to, but a sense of that she is above us. Which she is due to class and money.

I also don't disagree with people complaining about Iowa being first . The population not being a proper representation of the larger population demo-graphs of the USA is always one of my complaints. I also agree the GOP straw poll is a farce. Although I did want to try and go to it for shits and giggles. This wasn't the thing I was trying to point out.

Supraluminal posted:

I think you're missing the point. At the risk of putting words in his mouth, Hootington is reacting to the generalized hostility and dismissive attitude on display towards his part of the country, not the specific criticism that the primaries are ridiculous.

This guy right here got it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Sorry for double post, but I want to try and keep this stuff seperate from other discussions.

Rand Paul full speech at Orange County Flag Day dinner..
Article on it from the Orange County Register
Pictures on the Republican Party of Orange County facebook page.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr Hootington posted:

The Presidential race is just focusing attention on your region right now. Give it a moment and we'll be talking about how the South, North East, West, or South West are loving bringing the rest of us down. Hawaii is the only region nobody really complains about.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Supraluminal posted:

I think you're missing the point. At the risk of putting words in his mouth, Hootington is reacting to the generalized hostility and dismissive attitude on display towards his part of the country, not the specific criticism that the primaries are ridiculous.

Mr Hootington posted:

I live in California, we had to wait for legal gay marriage for several extra years partially because a bunch of a Mormons from the flyover states dumped a poo poo ton of money into a state referendum. When we were having budgey issues I had to listen to national news saying we were bad with money despite the gap between what Californians pay in income tax and receive in federal services being vastly greater than the Californian defecit. And your Senators make it next to impossible for anyone with a sensible attitude on marijuana to become Attorney General, when in my experience the only time I've seen pot ruin someone's life is when they get arrested for having it. I'd be a little less hostile if you stopped loving with my life.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skwirl posted:

I live in California, we had to wait for legal gay marriage for several extra years partially because a bunch of a Mormons from the flyover states dumped a poo poo ton of money into a state referendum. When we were having budgey issues I had to listen to national news saying we were bad with money despite the gap between what Californians pay in income tax and receive in federal services being vastly greater than the Californian defecit. And your Senators make it next to impossible for anyone with a sensible attitude on marijuana to become Attorney General, when in my experience the only time I've seen pot ruin someone's life is when they get arrested for having it. I'd be a little less hostile if you stopped loving with my life.

Until extremely recently marijuana opposition was a pretty solid bipartisan issue. I mean your own senator said "I saw a lot of where people began with marijuana and went on to hard drugs".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Busy morning.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

computer parts posted:

Until extremely recently marijuana opposition was a pretty solid bipartisan issue. I mean your own senator said "I saw a lot of where people began with marijuana and went on to hard drugs".

Fienstein is 112 years old, I like her, but she's pretty old fashioned.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Skwirl posted:

I don't actually have an issue with Iowa being first in the nation, you can't just have a nation wide primary on the same day because that would tip the scales towards the money so much farther than it already is, and aside from the corn thing, Iowa is probably as decent a cross section of the country as you're going to get on a state by state basis (Ohio might be better).

You realize that would give us two solid years of nonstop campaigning in our state. I'm not sure if that's :fuckoff: or :getin:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Joementum posted:

Busy morning.

Poor guy, Bernie stole his message and now all he has are photo ops and Hot or Not pictures on Drudge.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pohl posted:

Poor guy, Bernie stole his message and now all he has are photo ops and Hot or Not pictures on Drudge.

And a parrot.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

No one in the rest of the country cares. That is why we call it flyover country. Stop voting for regressive shitheads and making horrible policy decisions and you can rejoin us at the grownup table.

Joementum posted:

And a parrot.

Hahaha

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skwirl posted:

Fienstein is 112 years old, I like her, but she's pretty old fashioned.

Barbara Boxer also opposed the 2010 referendum.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 16, 2015

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012

BristolSOF posted:

Anybody watching the Clinton's speech? Substance aside, I forgot how terrible she is at giving a speech

She started slow, got a little better, and then evened out. She is not an impressively charismatic figure to me.

EDIT: I agree about the speech itself, it hits all of the right boxes.

Beforehand fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 13, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The rhetoric itself is fantastic, though.

edit jesus christ if I actually believed every word she said, there's no reason for Bernie to even be in this contest

will she be our clement atlee? heh

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 13, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/hillary-clinton-unveil-focus-2016-campaign-n374691 <<--- Live video.

She's bringing out the big guns. I didn't really expect her to be this scathing from the left.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Aliquid posted:

The rhetoric itself is fantastic, though.

edit jesus christ if I actually believed every word she said, there's no reason for Bernie to even be in this contest

I mean these are really popular centrist issues that Republican's are scared to death to touch in the primary, it's going to be a huge advantage with Hillary running unopposed, she can start of as populist center while Republicans have to move extreme right with their base and then attempt to claw their way back where Clinton has been all along.

edit: People should be allowed to vote, gay people should be allowed dignity, get billionaires out of the political process, she is basically forcing Republican's take an opposing stance on things only non-crazy base overwhelmingly support.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 13, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nothing about her position on TPP, heh.

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012

Pohl posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/hillary-clinton-unveil-focus-2016-campaign-n374691 <<--- Live video.

She's bringing out the big guns. I didn't really expect her to be this scathing from the left.

I didn't either, and it really was surprising - there was a moment when she threw in the constitutional amendment against Citizens United which, though it isn't a particularly LEFTISM position, it was a stronger position than I thought.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm going to watch it later, but could someone give me the bullet points from Hillary's speech?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I'm going to watch it later, but could someone give me the bullet points from Hillary's speech?

Populist, woman and experience.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Skwirl posted:

- First woman president
- Increase prosperity in the middle-class
- Let's all leave this island, go to Wall Street, and forcibly seize the means of production for the proletariat

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

computer parts posted:

Diane Feinstein is one of the stupider people in the senate FYI.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Roosevelt Island was called Welfare Island from 1921-71. :hist101:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Would someone please hit forward on that skipping CD?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Chelsea married a complete dork.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Diane Feinstein is one of the stupider people in the senate FYI.

I'm so sad Boxer's the one retiring and not her:(

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Also to counter Hillarys announcement Bernie has emailed out a handwritten letter :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

cbservo posted:

I'm so sad Boxer's the one retiring and not her:(

She'll be dead soon at least :gbsmith:

• Locked thread