Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Genestealers assaulting out of reserve from table edges? No way hombre!

Assault Marines assaulting out of Deep Strike Reserve? Why Not............................................................................................ its cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

holy poo poo

Moola posted:

Why did they remove master of the forge?

because what the gently caress is he doing killing heretics outside of the forge he needs to be forging poo poo

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Lol what the gently caress

4 grav cannons in a pod, 20 grav shots, Combat squad it to get 5 boltgun shots as well. RAW thats forcing 3d6 ld checks on 4 different squads assuming they actually survive that onslaught.

Assault marines come in, combat squad, assault 4 different targets.

SEEMS BALANCED.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

blood angels, masters of the skies, whose assault marines lost the ability to score and can't assault after deep striking :negative:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I'm all for these unstoppable grav shenanigans if only because it might force Eldar players to not just field a Wraithknight and call it a day.

Also this makes Assault Marines worthwhile, which is quite a surprise. They're still not especially dangerous but at a bare minimum tying up 2-4 enemy units for a turn or two is worth the cost.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Phyresis posted:

because what the gently caress is he doing killing heretics outside of the forge he needs to be forging poo poo

hes forging a narrative

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guess I'm buying some devastator boxes then

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I would literally laugh in your face if someone told me IRL they thought 40k rules were anywhere near balanced or even made sense anymore

IN YOUR FACE

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm all for these unstoppable grav shenanigans if only because it might force Eldar players to not just field a Wraithknight and call it a day.

Also this makes Assault Marines worthwhile, which is quite a surprise. They're still not especially dangerous but at a bare minimum tying up 2-4 enemy units for a turn or two is worth the cost.

Thing is, none of my lists have a WK in it because none of the tournaments allow it. Eldar actually have no good defense against this. Wraithlords get grav'd out, D-batteries get assaulted, tanks get grav'd out or assaulted, Dark Reapers get assaulted or pinned.

Basically, Eldar must turtle around an Avatar to stop this.

Boon fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 13, 2015

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Moola posted:

Because they gave Techmarines the stats and options for them.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Boon posted:

Thing is, none of my lists have a WK in it because none of the tournaments allow it. Eldar actually have no good defense against this. Wraithlords get grav'd out, D-batteries get assaulted, tanks get grav'd out or assaulted, Dark Reapers get assaulted or pinned.

Do marines or their battle Bros still get teleport homers, and can marines with jump packs go in drop pods? Could you just buy pods for this detachment? Does it specifically forbid that?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Moola posted:

hes forging a narrative

Well played :golfclap:

ender42
Jun 14, 2005
Naga, naga, na gonna work here anymore
I might have missed something - but how do you guys know that the Dark Angels codex is next?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ender42 posted:

I might have missed something - but how do you guys know that the Dark Angels codex is next?

Apparently that codex is now out of stock on the GW site, at least the print codex is.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My uncle works at GW. He also touched me as a child. These two things are related.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

My uncle works at GW. He also touched me as a child. These two things are related.

Can I use him as a reference?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

Moola posted:

Because they gave Techmarines the stats and options for them.

ok

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I don't really want to be that guy but this Formation is super solid and doesn't require all that much buy-in. I'd been meaning to pick up some Assault and Devastator Marines anyway (I just have a boatload of Tacticals and Sternguard) and I think this is just the thing to go for.

Painting some power armor will be a change of pace.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Boon posted:

Lol if you think the Avatar won't eat 27 Grav shots and melt.

The only defense is Scytheguard in a car because they're not likely to take wounds from bolters and are effectively unable to be charged because dat overwatch.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

gently caress it, returning those Orks I bought and buying this.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

PierreTheMime posted:

I don't really want to be that guy but this Formation is super solid and doesn't require all that much buy-in. I'd been meaning to pick up some Assault and Devastator Marines anyway (I just have a boatload of Tacticals and Sternguard) and I think this is just the thing to go for.

This seems like it would look best if it was painted as a different chapter from than your primary marines. You should paint them up as "definitely Ultramarines" allies to your Salamanders.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
So what happens if the Devastators hit a unit that cannot ever go to ground, but the unit fails the morale test? The "no overwatch" clause doesn't apply because you didn't pass, but you're immune to the effects of the failed test.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

PierreTheMime posted:

im working on a list right now with a jump captain, this poo poo is tite

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If that set was available from 3rd party places I'd be interested, but not at full price.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hra Mormo posted:

So what happens if the Devastators hit a unit that cannot ever go to ground, but the unit fails the morale test? The "no overwatch" clause doesn't apply because you didn't pass, but you're immune to the effects of the failed test.

Well, they fail and nothing happens? Like you can't suppress monstrous creatures cause they don't give a flip.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

raverrn posted:

Lol if you think the Avatar won't eat 27 Grav shots and melt.

The only defense is Scytheguard in a car because they're not likely to take wounds from bolters and are effectively unable to be charged because dat overwatch.

Squad one munches the Wave Serpent. Squad two wrecks the D-Scythes. Double D-Scythe might stop it, but we're talking 640 points of investment minimum.

They've literally covered all their bases on this by allowing you to pick whether you want to come in on turn 1 or turn 2 as well. It's a list without a down-side.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That formation's silly good. I think 3D6 morale tests are the only way you'll ever get pinning off though.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

ender42 posted:

There's a picture on the web store's devastator squad page that shows a Dark Angel marine holding a grav cannon, which they currently can't take, plus that rad powerfist DA chaplain.

Unrelated, I started setting up for a round of Campaignurgeon games this afternoon, and I think the only warhams I do lately is working on tables. This is 3 2x4 sheets of MDF, held up by 2x6s, on top of my dining room table, which is outside on the porch because it's summer. The other side of the boards is desert-looking, but i wanted city terrain other than the fat mat downstairs, so I did this:

The whole thing's a bit grey at the moment, but at least everything has paint on it.

The boards are a flat black base, that I daubed with a rag while it was drying to work out the brush marks, then a light spray (ie, an entire can) of some textured multi-color krylong thing, then just a light dusting of the grey I used on the buildings, to tie it all together. I like the texture it gives, just enough variation to not look flat, without the ridiculous grainy sand look.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Where does it say the assault can't be in a vehicle? Just wearing jump packs does not prevent being in a vehicle I recall? Does the formation forbid it because I don't see that anywhere.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Welp, guess I need to track down more beakies and a bunch of these so I can use the formation!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Doctor Borris posted:

Where does it say the assault can't be in a vehicle? Just wearing jump packs does not prevent being in a vehicle I recall? Does the formation forbid it because I don't see that anywhere.

Assault marines can only take a transport if they don't take jump packs.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zark the Damned posted:

Welp, guess I need to track down more beakies and a bunch of these so I can use the formation!

Who are you, me? I really want one of those for my Sternguard but they're mad rare and upwards of 100bux when they show up.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lungboy posted:

If that set was available from 3rd party places I'd be interested, but not at full price.

It is, just wait for scans.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

There's a picture on the web store's devastator squad page that shows a Dark Angel marine holding a grav cannon, which they currently can't take, plus that rad powerfist DA chaplain.

Unrelated, I started setting up for a round of Campaignurgeon games this afternoon, and I think the only warhams I do lately is working on tables. This is 3 2x4 sheets of MDF, held up by 2x6s, on top of my dining room table, which is outside on the porch because it's summer. The other side of the boards is desert-looking, but i wanted city terrain other than the fat mat downstairs, so I did this:

The whole thing's a bit grey at the moment, but at least everything has paint on it.

The boards are a flat black base, that I daubed with a rag while it was drying to work out the brush marks, then a light spray (ie, an entire can) of some textured multi-color krylong thing, then just a light dusting of the grey I used on the buildings, to tie it all together. I like the texture it gives, just enough variation to not look flat, without the ridiculous grainy sand look.

looking forward to kicking your rear end on this table today

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Doctor Borris posted:

Jump Infantry can't go in vehicles.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Can they not go in vehicles specifically or do they count as bulky now in 7th?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Only Infantry models can board Transports unless it says otherwise in the Transport/super heavy's rules.

E.g. stormraven is an exception with the dreadnoughts.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

looking forward to kicking your rear end on this table today

Come to the Imperium's hosed up South Bronx in the next six turns if u want an rear end kicking.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That looks like a fun table to play on!

Just finished another Tactical Squad! I decided to forgo transfers on these guys and try doing an all-freehand-all-the-time thing. I'm reasonably happy with the results, although it took significantly longer than just doing some decal work. Unfortunately the sergeant doesn't have his banner since my printer kicked the bucket, but if I ever get a new one he'll get a flag to wave. This was my first time getting to assemble and paint the old multipart plastic Marines from 2nd ed, and they were a joy to put together. The detail on their chestplates was pretty shallow, unfortunately, but they beat the pants off the "I love my bolter" Marines. I think the sergeant (actually a Dark Angels sergeant) is my favorite sergeant model of the era, and the metal flamer Marine might be my favorite Marine sculpt of the era. It's just such a satisfyingly chunky model, and he's posed perfectly for what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Doctor Borris posted:

Can they not go in vehicles specifically or do they count as bulky now in 7th?

Both, although Bulky doesn't matter.

• Locked thread