Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Twin is already 0-2 so far on camera, this makes me happy. Round 1 Kenji lost to Junk CoCo, round 2 Grixis Twin with 3x Kolaghan's Command lost to Affinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Infect vs. Delver....what riveting modern play

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Blue card from an Origins trailer

This is what it seems to be

Displacement(?) Wave (XUU)
Sorcery
Return all nonland permanents with converted mana cost X or less to their owners' hands

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 13, 2015

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mr. Peepers posted:

round 2 Grixis Twin with 3x Kolaghan's Command lost to Affinity.

Did he not draw commands? Those things are oppressive I feel.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

KidDynamite posted:

Did he not draw commands? Those things are oppressive I feel.

He drew one, against Etched Champion with metalcraft active. So all he could do was Discard and Blow up Spellskite. At 4.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Rinkles posted:

Blue card from an Origins trailer

This is what it seems to be

Displacement(?) Wave (XUU)
Sorcery
Return all nonland permanents with converted mana cost X or less to their owners' hands

How is this not already a card?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Pyronic posted:

How is this not already a card?

It was, only better and it was called Devastation Tide

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Has the WUR Sawns deck seen much action at Charlotte? Apart from R/G Tron it's the only Modern deck I really like.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ah yes, a Blue Wrath. Excellent.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I like that you can selectively keep your Ugin or Ojutai on the board while bouncing everything smaller.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

What a shameful world we live in where someone is cheering on Affinity

edit: an even more shameful world where someone is whining about an XUU cost bounce spell as a wrath

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

edit: an even more shameful world where someone is whining about an XUU cost bounce spell as a wrath

Whelming Wave ruined standard. What do you think this will do to it?!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Key card in control for the next two years to come. FO' SHO.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

suicidesteve posted:

If they spend six mana I will miss a turn of my outpost seige draws!!!!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

If they spend six mana I will miss a turn of my outpost seige draws!!!!

It's like they cast Plagiarize except it cost 6 mana and they discarded a card instead of drawing one. Brutal.

I could actually see it seeing some play as a UU: kill all your tokens spell if that needs to be a thing, but that already exists at BB, 1BB, 1RR, 4B, and 2B. Only one of those will be in the next standard though so who knows? Did anyone besides Alexander Hayne play Devastation Tide?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Affinity is awesome, fight me.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The deck that almost killed Magic, unironically awesome.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hyperbole is cool.

Thragtusk is alive in modern.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Hyperbole is cool.

Even if you kill it, you get life and a smaller dude.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

KidDynamite posted:

Hyperbole is cool.

Affinity almost killing Magic is not hyperbole.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

10 years is a hell of a long time to carry a grudge about a magic deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's such a grudge, I am furious about it. I am so mad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr. Peepers posted:

10 years is a hell of a long time to carry a grudge about a magic deck.

You could almost call it an ancient grudge.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010
What's better than Siege Rhino?

...a Murderous Cut hitting your opponent's Fiend Hunter with Rhino under it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rinkles posted:

You could almost call it an ancient grudge.

If there's anything a Magic player hates, it's an artifact deck—especially Affinity, a strong modern aggro combo deck.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Affinity absolutely ruined standard and it sucked because standard had been really really good basically from after they made all the urzas block bans until darksteel. Think about this: Affinity made standard worse than it was the entire two years Masques block was legal

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

If there's anything a Magic player hates, it's an artifact deck—especially Affinity, a strong modern aggro combo deck.

Especially if you play Merfolk.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So what were the most broken Standards in decending order of brokeness?

Urza's Block
Affinity
Caw Blade
Delver

What'd I miss?
Have there been any others where there was just clearly one best deck that completely took over?
Delver wasn't even that bad, it was certainly no Caw Blade, and Caw Blade was no Affinity. It seems like the gently caress-ups are getting progressively tamer as the game goes on. Delver didn't even actually get any bannings, did it?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Urza's Block
Affinity
Caw Blade
Delver

What'd I miss?
Have there been any others where there was just clearly one best deck that completely took over?
Delver wasn't even that bad, it was certainly no Caw Blade, and Caw Blade was no Affinity. It seems like the gently caress-ups are getting progressively tamer as the game goes on. Delver didn't even actually get any bannings, did it?

Nothing has been banned since Jace TMS and Stoneforge Mystic. In standard anyway.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Entropic posted:

Urza's Block
Affinity
Caw Blade
Delver

What'd I miss?

I'd honestly say Mirrodin standard was the most broken standard I have ever played going back to before "Type 2" was really a thing

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Entropic posted:

Urza's Block
Affinity
Caw Blade
Delver

What'd I miss?

Delver didn't get any bannings, but certainly deserved it by the end of its reign. There was a point where people were playing 18-land U/W decks with Restoration Angel in them.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

Urza's Block
Affinity
Caw Blade
Delver

What'd I miss?

Affinity was worse for Standard than Urza's, I think. It was absolutely oppressive, to the point where you either played Affinity, or you lost.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's just funny because the hatred people have for Delver or Cawblade doesn't get mocked and Affinity standard was so much worse.

edit: heck people still complain about bad cards in the worst color in Standard for the past several years :allears:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'd honestly say Mirrodin standard was the most broken standard I have ever played going back to before "Type 2" was really a thing

I mean, people didn't know how to build decks back then. If they did Black Summer might have actually lead to Necro getting banned.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 13, 2015

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

It's just funny because the hatred people have for Delver or Cawblade doesn't get mocked and Affinity standard was so much worse.

edit: heck people still complain about bad cards in the worst color in Standard for the past several years :allears:

Let's not forget the million stupid rear end Skullclamp decks too

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Do people complain that much about Delver ever? Yeah, it was an annoying deck, but no more than a crash of rhinos all day and night.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Elyv posted:

I mean, people didn't know how do build decks back then. If they did Black Summer might have actually lead to Necro getting banned.

It's true, it wasnt until Mirrodin that the idea of 'netdecking' was a super prevalent thing either, so a few people knowing a broken deck didn't ruin every meta everywhere. And while Combo Winter was silly as gently caress, there were like 10 different broken as gently caress decks you could play, so at least there was variety.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ramos posted:

Do people complain that much about Delver ever? Yeah, it was an annoying deck, but no more than a crash of rhinos all day and night.

Don't be sad that you missed years of complaints about the color pie and how Snapcaster should have been a red card.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Something my friend brought to my attention... is Sol ring legal in modern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Oh man, look at this loving awesome Tooth and Nail deck. But get this: im going to throw some Skullclamp on that bitch.

• Locked thread