Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Palpek posted:

Another tip for people beginning the game that I haven't seen mentioned - you can easily kill whole groups of enemies that outlevel you if you do it from horseback. Remember that when you hold the left mouse button during a fight while sitting on a horse - action will go into slow-motion and Geralt will hold the sword up ready to swing and it's really easy to hit people this way. I'm bolding that as I only discovered it by accident. As a bonus you will decapitate everybody and it's pretty sweet.

It's harder with monsters as your horse gets spooked but now with the free DLC there are some good relatively cheap sets you can buy even in prologue that make the horse brave enough for this tactic to be feasible. It's so easy to clear bandit/deserter camps or monster nests this way even being 10 levels behind your enemies that it's not even funny as you almost don't get hit.

Casting Axii on Roach makes him almost immune to fear for a (very) short while. Not even a wraith performing its blind attack will fill up the entire bar. The white lady died without landing a hit but it did take ten minutes of crits on horseback. That was enough to never attempt another boss enemy when it severely outleveled Geralt. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well, Sukrus doesn't load. He shows up, punches a dude, then the map marker disappears. Not sure how to fix this...

I really wanted cat gear...

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Well, so I finally reached the Skellige islands and I've reached the conclusion that the yokels on the main land can go plow themselves, the Skellingers at least appreciate Witchers. The fact that they are a badass blend of Scots and Vikings doesn't hurt either.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Yo gently caress the Crones in the swamp I should of saved that tree.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

casual poster posted:

Yo gently caress the Crones in the swamp I should of saved that tree.

Saving the tree doesn't really do anything to the Crones. It saves the orphans, but the Crones still get away. It won't be the last you'll see of them though...

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Macaluso posted:

Saving the tree doesn't really do anything to the Crones. It saves the orphans, but the Crones still get away. It won't be the last you'll see of them though...

Hmmm interesting. They really did these characters really well though, I was pretty disturbed by their appearance and behavior, but the music in the scene really kicks it into overdrive. They did this pretty well.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

casual poster posted:

Hmmm interesting. They really did these characters really well though, I was pretty disturbed by their appearance and behavior, but the music in the scene really kicks it into overdrive. They did this pretty well.

The game has plenty of good bits, but I think the whole Family Matters questline was probably the best thing in the game. One of the best quests I've done in any RPG I can remember. And yeah, the OST is great there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8J9HXcOxrs

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

my new dog posted:

ive been trying to clear up my sidequests and ones been sitting there since lvl 9 apparently. im supposed to collect a reward from the king of beggars for freeing rico but the dotted line only leads me to a dead end with the yellow marker just out of reach. what

Look at the area where the king of beggars is, it's basically one big circular backyard. The entrance to that is a door right next to the merchant icon on the west side of it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Razakai posted:

The game has plenty of good bits, but I think the whole Family Matters questline was probably the best thing in the game. One of the best quests I've done in any RPG I can remember. And yeah, the OST is great there.

my favorite part is when yen uses black magic on that corpse and kills the garden

:stare:

Gave me the heebie-jeebies, this game has drat good writing and voice acting

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Willfrey posted:

my favorite part is when yen uses black magic on that corpse and kills the garden

That was definitely the most disturbing necromancy I've ever seen in a game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Palpek posted:

What's up, this happened to me today:

It's a strong horse.

He's working out to maintain his title of fastest horse on the planet.

Geralt is a pro athlete/gambler with a hobby of killing monsters.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

So I finally have some time to play more of this. I'm level 12 in Novigrad, and I started Lambert's quest, but not the main one. It recommends level 11, and I'm at the point where I'm supposed to go to Skellige to find someone, but the Destination Skellige quest recommends level 16 I think. Should I wait to finish it, or can I do Lambert's quest without getting destroyed by higher level monsters?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Destination Skellige quest is kind of lying to you. Quest and enemy levels in Skellige will start at around level 12, it's just that particular quest that is level 16. Lambert's quest is entirely doable at your level. So long as a quest is green, it's perfectly fine to try.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Cool. I wanted to do a few more quests before getting into the Triss stuff.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The bandit leader in the bandit camp south east of claywich(the one with the creatively named "bandit camp" quest marker) doesn't drop the key needed to unlock the cage with the gwent card merchant, is there any known fix for this problem?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Asehujiko posted:

The bandit leader in the bandit camp south east of claywich(the one with the creatively named "bandit camp" quest marker) doesn't drop the key needed to unlock the cage with the gwent card merchant, is there any known fix for this problem?

He does drop it most of the time, try re-loading from earlier

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Asehujiko posted:

That was a goddamn Gwent card merchant?! I never found the key either, and felt like the game was mocking me when the next bandit leader I killed dropped two keys. Does he sell anything special or just some basic cards?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Greenplastic posted:

Good ol' Roach working out

For Roach, every day is leg day.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Ghent question: so there is a guy in the palace at Vizima right after you leave White Orchard with no dialogue, but with whom you can play Gwent.

I got all the possible cards at White Orchard and still found him impossible to beat (I believe he had a loaded Nilf deck). I just gave up, and figured I'd come back and beat him later.

25 hours of gameplay later I went back now having a good Gwent deck to play him and he's gone.

Does this mean I'm hosed as far as the "collect'em all" achievement goes?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Riso posted:

There's also a decoction that gives you 50% mounted combat bonus and makes your horse immune to fear.

Reposting this: That decoction is the bees knees for killing anything higher level than you.

I guess it shows the strength of the game when there's so much good stuff out of all the character trees that I build a little bit into each. The magic tree is great for dealing with mobs of enemies (flamethrower igni + Gryphon school armor and the medium armor talent means you can permanently stunlock anything that reels from being on fire until it's dead) but falls apart on elementals and bosses since magic does fuckall to them. Combat seems great for 1 on 1 fighting and slapping down bosses but goddamn can magic do it quicker to mobs and fire weak enemies. Alchemy is a great defensive tree and the +potion duration on everything is a godsend, but lacks the straight killing power of the strength or magic. I'm settling in on two magic mutagens, one alchemy mutagen, and a combat mutagen and that seems to be the right fit for my playstyle.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Razakai posted:

The Crones' designs were rad too, my favorite being Weavess having a wasp hive for an eye.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So I just got the game and I'm heading into the second area.

Is money supposed to be a problem?
How am I supposed to be able to afford food and upgrading my poo poo?
Why am I given a lvl 33 quest in the same area when I am only lvl 3?
Where do I buy Alcohest?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Money stops being a problem after White Orchard. Don't bother buying food, just loot stuff and make potions. Buying alcohest is also meaningless because you'll never run out of strong alcohol (all alcohols restore potions, so a dwarven spirit is as good as alcohest). The loot is random so you can get super high level stuff at any time.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

jerichojx posted:

So I just got the game and I'm heading into the second area.

Is money supposed to be a problem?
How am I supposed to be able to afford food and upgrading my poo poo?
Why am I given a lvl 33 quest in the same area when I am only lvl 3?
Where do I buy Alcohest?

So the Velen area (I haven't gotten out of Velen/Novigrad yet and I'm like 30 hours in) has mixed ranges of difficulty. There aren't really level range area. Meaning you will occasionally get a quest that's too high a level for you and run into red skull mobs in the environment.

Luckily it's really easy to run from fights you know you cannot win.

As for the money thing, it's only a problem at a really low level. Just stick to storyline quests for now and they will level you quickly. Once you're around level 6 or 7 there are entry of side quests you can run, and by the time you're half way through the Novigrad storyline content you'll be swimming in money.

PS if you're doing Gwent stuff I found that to be easy low-level money.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Meta-Mollusk posted:

That was a goddamn Gwent card merchant?! I never found the key either, and felt like the game was mocking me when the next bandit leader I killed dropped two keys. Does he sell anything special or just some basic cards?

For northern deck third Crinfrid dragon hunter, for Nifgaard one of 10 strength archers and a healer

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Willfrey posted:

It sort of makes sense why Radovid is trying to wipe out all the mages.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Hi witcher thread,

Something I noticed early in the game is the peasants dying to packs of wild dogs in Velen. I believe I could kill 6 wild dogs if they attacked me, and most able bodied male peasants should be able to do the same. Am I wrong for thinking this? I mean obviously with a sword, but even with just the resources of a forest (sticks, rocks, sand) I think I could kill 6 wild dogs of that size. I would think that at the very least the peasants could climb up a tree and easily escape them, they are just dogs. My friend disagreed and said that I would get killed by 6 wild dogs, and that the dogs are a threat to the peasants. Can anyone please shed light on how dangerous a pack of 6 wild dogs of that size would really be against an unarmed man? Searching for answers has only led me to a video of a singular wild dog attacking an elderly russian couple and survivalist tips on how to kill wild dogs with knives.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Pyromancer posted:

For northern deck third Crinfrid dragon hunter, for Nifgaard one of 10 strength archers and a healer

Weird, I never got the merchant and still had 3 Crinfrid Reavers and two 10 strength Nilf archers. Having four Reavers in the Northern deck would be sweet.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

GrossMurpel posted:

Look at the area where the king of beggars is, it's basically one big circular backyard. The entrance to that is a door right next to the merchant icon on the west side of it.

cool thanks :D

Harley C posted:

Hi witcher thread,

Something I noticed early in the game is the peasants dying to packs of wild dogs in Velen. I believe I could kill 6 wild dogs if they attacked me, and most able bodied male peasants should be able to do the same. Am I wrong for thinking this? I mean obviously with a sword, but even with just the resources of a forest (sticks, rocks, sand) I think I could kill 6 wild dogs of that size. I would think that at the very least the peasants could climb up a tree and easily escape them, they are just dogs. My friend disagreed and said that I would get killed by 6 wild dogs, and that the dogs are a threat to the peasants. Can anyone please shed light on how dangerous a pack of 6 wild dogs of that size would really be against an unarmed man? Searching for answers has only led me to a video of a singular wild dog attacking an elderly russian couple and survivalist tips on how to kill wild dogs with knives.

six wild angry dogs will kill you

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

oddium posted:

hey so no spoilers but i feel like maybe i did this the wrong way ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVwPLH6sy-c

i just did this, then when i killed the wyvern geralt decided to jump off the cliff. i couldn't manage it a second time :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

my new dog posted:

One alone could seriously injure you at least

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Unless they are running on a treadmill.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Nobody Interesting posted:

i just did this, then when i killed the wyvern geralt decided to jump off the cliff. i couldn't manage it a second time :(

When I did it, the wyvern just stood around on top of the tower and didn't move even when I attacked it.
Also, don't forget to at least check the cave, IIRC there is a place of power right next to it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

my new dog posted:

cool thanks :D

Without weapons, and for most people even with weapons, 6 angry medium sized dogs could easily kill you. They'd tear you apart, eventually find your throat, and that's that.

Obviously 6 angry toy poodles are different, but that's not what we are talking about here.

In fact 2 dogs could kill you, or one big dog. In most cases where you'd be attacked by a pack of dogs your best and only hope is that you can sacrifice your arms protecting your throat long enough for help to arrive.

And even then you might get unlucky and get an ulnar artery severed and die anyway.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I respectfully disagree with you all, I shall be victorious. Thank you for your time.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Harley C posted:

I respectfully disagree with you all, I shall be victorious. Thank you for your time.

Let us know how it turns out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harley C posted:

I keep thinking you're joking but I'm not seeing the punchline

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

He does drop it most of the time, try re-loading from earlier
Tried 3 times, the bandit leader drops a garbage longsword every time and nothing else.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Which would you guys rather fight - 6 ghoul sized Roaches or one Roach sized ghoul??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Razakai posted:

Which would you guys rather fight - 6 ghoul sized Roaches or one Roach sized ghoul??
The latter, Roach is an invincible super horse and I'd rather not fight six of her.