Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Don't the books have dinosaur cults or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Peebla posted:

She is so goddamn bad. And a very odd looking lady as well. I just read summaries of the seasons I didn't watch. Glad I wasted twenty minutes of my life instead of twenty hours. I really did like the first couple of seasons and I still think it is a pretty cool idea for a show - I wonder if the book is any better.

The first book is really quite good, the first season of the show follows it pretty closely except for the ending. They quickly get very weird. I'm told they get back on track and really good again around book 4 or 5, but I never went past 3. (Also Deborah isn't such a tremendous twat in the books)

e: ^^sorta? Like I said, it gets weird fast.
Also key difference. One of the characters I hate most in the show dies in the first book. LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE.

Rysithusiku has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Jun 13, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rysithusiku posted:

I believe it was clarified he drugged her last glass of wine, to ensure she'd stay out

That does sound correct but I must have missed the scene on this rewatch of the seasons!

Grendels Dad posted:

Similarly, serial killers in shows don't need sleep. Any sleep. At all. People like Dexter will get home sometime between 2 and 3 in the morning, get up at 7 and make their opening credits breakfast and then work through a 10-hour day and then do it all over again. No way does someone like that live like this for more than one year before simply dropping dead.

The same in Hannibal really. Or just the amount of stuff they get done in a small timeframe. I still have no idea how he got that tree into the car park.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird issue in the first season of Hannibal is how casually everyone just travels back and forth between Virginia/Maryland and Minnesota.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

A weird issue in the first season of Hannibal is how casually everyone just travels back and forth between Virginia/Maryland and Minnesota.

That's true but somewhat explained. Wolf Trap according to Google Maps is only about an hour's drive from Baltimore. Later on they show Will and Abigail flew to Minnesota. They also show Will staying in hotels when he is investigating the Shrike.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also that scene from the finale though where extremely sick Will and Hannibal just drive there.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There's also that scene from the finale though where extremely sick Will and Hannibal just drive there.

Good point. That does not really make any sense.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

We are viewing it the way that Will is

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

We are viewing it the way that Will is

How do you mean? He surely didn't hallucinate a car ride when they really flew.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kramdar posted:

Here's what I was talking about in Jurassic Park. I imagined a phone shown off the hook. But this isn't too irrational.

When I was a kid visiting my uncle's farm, he had shotgun shells that just contained a single, large metal slug he used for killing large :airquote:pests:airquote:, like saltwater crocs and razorbacks*.

I'm guessing they'd work a treat on dinosaurs too, given the loving mess they made out of boars.

*And camels and stray dogs and everything else on his property that didn't pay its way. The 70s were a very different time.

EDIT: Like this:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

That's the most convincing explanation. The set decorator just ventilated the broken window thinking of pistol rounds, I guess.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Oh I have fired slugs. Even at a shooting range, I could only assume from the punch they pack that three should completely shatter that window. Even if it was safety glass, the holes should be much bigger and the spidering would instead be that million little pieces look.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The holes look to be a reasonable size for 00 buck, I'd say. Of course there aren't enough of them.

Typically slugs have a green shell, like in the picture Gorilla posted. The JP screenshot is dark so it's hard to tell buuut they look red. But it's a movie so they probably just grabbed whatever prop shotshells the armorer had, regardless.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Gorilla Salad posted:

When I was a kid visiting my uncle's farm, he had shotgun shells that just contained a single, large metal slug he used for killing large :airquote:pests:airquote:, like saltwater crocs and razorbacks*.

I'm guessing they'd work a treat on dinosaurs too, given the loving mess they made out of boars.

*And camels and stray dogs and everything else on his property that didn't pay its way. The 70s were a very different time.

Trying to think of what region might have salties and camels wandering through randomly. Some place in africa?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Believe it or not, there are actually feral camels in Australia.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hundreds of thousands of the bastards, too.

EDIT: When the Saudis want a top camel to race, they use Australian camels :boonie:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

EmmyOk posted:

How do you mean? He surely didn't hallucinate a car ride when they really flew.

Didn't he loose time?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't he loose time?

Yeah sure but it still feels like they hand waved a 19 hour journey away. I mean the FBI knew where they were going. No way they didn't phone people nearer Minnesota to wait for Will.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Rysithusiku posted:

The first book is really quite good, the first season of the show follows it pretty closely except for the ending. They quickly get very weird. I'm told they get back on track and really good again around book 4 or 5, but I never went past 3. (Also Deborah isn't such a tremendous twat in the books)

Really about half or two thirds of the first book is covered in the first episode and then it's awkwardly padded out for the rest of the season. Also the book's writing is... of questionable quality. With things like Dexter saying he is like this bag of donuts, empty on the inside.

Also, Dexter as a character can be pretty well summed up by this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwJUOI5Dxy0

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Really about half or two thirds of the first book is covered in the first episode and then it's awkwardly padded out for the rest of the season. Also the book's writing is... of questionable quality. With things like Dexter saying he is like this bag of donuts, empty on the inside.

Also, Dexter as a character can be pretty well summed up by this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwJUOI5Dxy0

I never said it was high class literature, but it is most certainly an entertaining book.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Rysithusiku posted:

I never said it was high class literature, but it is most certainly an entertaining book.

For sure, but you have to be able to look past some pretty glaring faults. It took me a while to be able to really get into the book because I kept rolling my eyes at things like the empty donut bag.

The show is WAY worse about the "I have no feelings and it makes me so SAD and ANGRY!" schtick than the book. (I've only read the first book; also season 2 was the best season because it's the only one that ever really treats what Dexter does as a bad thing).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

I like the part in the Lost World novel where a character calls that theory retarded. "Deer freeze as soon as they see you. Rexes would be the worst predators ever."

And why would deer evolve to do that unless it protected them from dinos? :smuggo: checkmate atheists

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Hmm, I wonder if Dracula's actor did anything else afterwards....holy poo poo he was the guy from Rake. :stare:

About the "singer wails in a different language when a sad thing happens" thing. It's fine by me, I like Lisbeth Scott and Lisa Gerrard's voices a whole lot. But good god, Crash was just ridiculous about that. It felt like a parody.

A lot of the MI6 employees in Skyfall make really stupid decisions but the most baffling one was when M just stayed at the hearing and didn't do anything after learning that Silva escaped and was coming after her. She had no reason to not warn everyone else and get the hell out of there other than "Well, this lady is saying mean things about me and I want to read her a poem to prove her wrong."

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Peebla posted:

I didn't think civil war was that great but I did like that nobody wanted Punisher on their team. Red Son would make an amazing movie. It would probably be the last Superman story anyone would ever make a movie of, but it would sure be cool. I guess a complaint I have is that superhero movies are never based off of the raddest story lines. If somehow the DC universe ever goes the Marvel Cinematic Universe route I would love to see a movie adaptation of New Frontier. Embrace the schlocky 50s comic camp.

DC has done this, actually. Back in 2007 they started the DC Universe Animated Original line, and it's direct-to-video adaptations of various storylines for the most part, with no continuity between them. New Frontier was actually the second one released, back in 2008. And for at least a few of the movies, New Frontier included, they styled the art off of the artwork of the original comic.

Wikipedia article for more details.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Peebla posted:

She is so goddamn bad. And a very odd looking lady as well. I just read summaries of the seasons I didn't watch. Glad I wasted twenty minutes of my life instead of twenty hours. I really did like the first couple of seasons and I still think it is a pretty cool idea for a show - I wonder if the book is any better.

She has partial face paralysis. Some kind of palsy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

She has partial face paralysis. Some kind of palsy.

Bell's Palsy? That manifests with partial facial paralysis.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Jun 14, 2015

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Peebla posted:

Where are these synopses? I never saw the last two seasons and they are the only ones I can't find synopses for.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Celery Face posted:

A lot of the MI6 employees in Skyfall make really stupid decisions but the most baffling one was when M just stayed at the hearing and didn't do anything after learning that Silva escaped and was coming after her. She had no reason to not warn everyone else and get the hell out of there other than "Well, this lady is saying mean things about me and I want to read her a poem to prove her wrong."

Nothing annoying about skyfall can beat 'I am escaping in pitch darkness from the villain who thinks I am trapped inside a burning house, so remaining unseen is essential. Better use my torch, I wouldn't want to trip.'

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Enemy of the State is a weird movie to watch now. Like okay we know that the NSA really was/is spying on Americans but its probably not that personal. Also the bizarrely WTF cameo from Gabriel Byrne.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rysithusiku posted:

e: ^^sorta? Like I said, it gets weird fast.
Also key difference. One of the characters I hate most in the show dies in the first book. LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE.

I've read all the books, waiting on the final one that is due out in a few weeks. Only the third one goes off the rails, and although the continuity of Astor and Cody being pre-psychopathic is maintained nothing else in that book is ever mentioned again. The fourth book is solid, the fifth is a bit routine but not bad, the sixth is daft but has one of the funniest moments in the whole series, and the seventh is 300 pages of Jeff Lindsay taking the merciless piss out of Showtime and the TV show.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Isn't it in the third book that The Dark Passenger is revealed as, not Dexter's compartmentalization of his broken psyche, but an actual evil spirit that is inhabiting his body? Like, he's the avatar of Moloch, some ancient primordial evil that is reborn in humans and absolves Dexter from having to be responsible.
Pretty sure it's never mentioned again after that book for how loving pant-on-head retarded it is.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Enemy of the State is a weird movie to watch now. Like okay we know that the NSA really was/is spying on Americans but its probably not that personal. Also the bizarrely WTF cameo from Gabriel Byrne.

Something I found unintentionally hilarious in that film is that they build a very accurate 3D model of an object based on surveillance footage of the slight bulge it makes because it's pressed up against the side of a paper shopping bag, but when someone asks for a better view of a guy's face seen from a satellite camera he gets laughed at

"FUCKIN IDIOT THAT'S NOT HOW SURVEILLANCE WORKS LOL"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cowslips Warren posted:

"Insane-asaurus Rex is the FIRST genetically engineered dinosaur!"

No it's not. Every dino in the JP franchise is part loving frog. So no, they are not 'pure' dinosaurs. All of them have been genetically engineered.

To be fair, later in the movie the CEO is complaining about the new monster they made and the scientist snaps back that this comes part and parcel with the CEO demanding something with exaggerated "real" dinosaur features, then points out that they've never made a "pure" dinosaur once in their 20+ year history and have always "filled the gaps" with different DNA, and if they actually had 100% dino DNA the dinosaurs that were produced would look hugely different to what is in the park. Jurassic World (and Park before it) were designed to give people their idea of what they think dinosaurs should look like, the whole thing is a market-driven/focus tested stew, and the "new attraction" is just on the extreme end of that.

The T-Rex showing up and kicking its rear end at the end of the film was still cool as gently caress though :cool:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ignite Memories posted:

He probably couldn't stand another moment of her horrendous acting.

Possibly bitter from the divorce. Because they were married, in real life. And then divorced. And then the producers/writers/whoever wanted to put an incest angle into the show. Yeah.

Dexter got real, real bad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Memento posted:

Possibly bitter from the divorce. Because they were married, in real life. And then divorced. And then the producers/writers/whoever wanted to put an incest angle into the show. Yeah.

Season 4 was the best, simply because of John Lithgow. The rest was meh.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

drat. I think watching Dexter as a series would be a bad idea then, or can you cut it off at some point and still have it end satisfactorily?

Finale of GoT: Not so much the end itself, boo hoo, Jon Snow knows nothing and is killed, but so many people flipping out that he's dead, when there's the loving priestess at the wall now, and we've seen people come back from the dead before. Until they burn his body, he's not dead dead. But compared to shows like AHS Coven, where someone was brought back every other week, at least GoT seems to use the 'non wight resurrection' sparingly.

If the mystery of his parents' real identities is never resolved, that'd be kinda cool as well, since his mother was last even spoken of way back in season 1, and the reason the writers omitted Tysha's crucial mention in 4 was because 'no one will remember that from so many seasons ago.'

Edit: Season 5 overall was good, but I still am wondering wtf was the point of that incomplete flashback with Cercei and the witch. Why bother showing HALF the prophecy she was told in the books, when the entire thing could have taken less than two more minutes and made so much more sense than what amounted to a timefiller?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

If the mystery of his parents' real identities is never resolved, that'd be kinda cool as well, since his mother was last even spoken of way back in season 1, and the reason the writers omitted Tysha's crucial mention in 4 was because 'no one will remember that from so many seasons ago.'

Stannis brought it up this season.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cowslips Warren posted:

Edit: Season 5 overall was good, but I still am wondering wtf was the point of that incomplete flashback with Cercei and the witch. Why bother showing HALF the prophecy she was told in the books, when the entire thing could have taken less than two more minutes and made so much more sense than what amounted to a timefiller?

It was in fact terrible lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
You know there's a GoT thread, right?