Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Raku posted:

59-0

I mean surely if the defense is as good as advertised it'd at least be close

The Arkansas-Texas game makes me feel they aren't as good as advertised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

That Works posted:

Beamer is going that Mack Brown route where you respect everything he's done and hate pushing him out but it's time. It's time grandma, we need to pull the plug.

The worst part about it is he saw Brown and Bowden and Paterno(to an extent) and he did nothing. He watched it unfold and because all coaches have these enormous egos they say "jokes on them, I'm above that happening to me, these fans worship me and all is well" and you just can't do that. If he's lucky VT will be pretty good this year and the next and he can leave on a good note but if not then the end of his career will be one big downer that will be most of what people remember him by.

There is nothing sadder than watching greatness wilt.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

C2C - 2.0 posted:

A&M? Good God they are the absolute weirdest people I've ever been around. Like, not necessarily assholes or hard-to-talk to or anything like that. Just weird. Cultish. I can't put my finger on it, but I'd imagine interacting with their fans (at least the ones I've talked to at games) is akin to being around aliens disguised as humans. I mean absolutely WEIRD.

A&M thread posters excepted (maybe).

There's a level of enthusiasm which I find puzzling because it seems to fit with more successful teams.

Also lol I legitimately forgot about what 59-0 referred to until just now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Crotch Bat posted:

The worst part about it is he saw Brown and Bowden and Paterno(to an extent) and he did nothing. He watched it unfold and because all coaches have these enormous egos they say "jokes on them, I'm above that happening to me, these fans worship me and all is well" and you just can't do that. If he's lucky VT will be pretty good this year and the next and he can leave on a good note but if not then the end of his career will be one big downer that will be most of what people remember him by.

There is nothing sadder than watching greatness wilt.

I dunno that he will be remembered by it. I mean we are only 2 years out from Mack Brown and most people back in Austin view him very favorably. The ones that don't are the ones who don't even know who Mackovic is etc.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

N: "Honestly, I don't know that any of our players would get into the school by themselves right now with the academic standards the way they are. Maybe one or two of our players that are on scholarship." - Brian Kelly

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13059375/brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-says-all-players-risk-academically

V: It's not a bad thing at all but alum like this dude are going to be furious at bursting the narrative. http://www.ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=hof;pid=458;d=this

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 12, 2015

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

He is just the first, and probably the biggest name, to say what a lot of people outside the media have been saying for years. A lot of people on this very forum have commented on special courses and tutors and what not.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

That Works posted:

I dunno that he will be remembered by it. I mean we are only 2 years out from Mack Brown and most people back in Austin view him very favorably. The ones that don't are the ones who don't even know who Mackovic is etc.

Beamer won't be viewed poorly but a 5 year skid to end his career where he's got maybe a .510 winning percentage is still going to linger. Brown and Bowden had higher highs but the way their careers ended was drat bad. If Beamer can put together 18-20 wins the next 2 years then the past 3 will be easily forgotten.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Honestly I see the Hokies as at least a 9 win team this year so if they underachieve again it'll definitely taint his legacy a bit to me. Or at least confirm that it's time to move on instead of waiting for him to die in his office.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Beamer gonna get a 5 year extension

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Beamer's lucky he hasn't been booted by new AD already. He's gone by 2016.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I am really glad Don Nehlen didn't hold on forever.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

News: Let's take a live look at videoboard construction in Jordan-Hare Stadium, shall we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3UUe_Fqhiw

Views: :stare: When they turn that thing on for the first time, everyone there will either get radiation poisoning or super powers. (Also, I kind of want them to give opposing kickers seizures with this thing.)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wylie posted:

News: Let's take a live look at videoboard construction in Jordan-Hare Stadium, shall we?

Views: :stare: When they turn that thing on for the first time, everyone there will either get radiation poisoning or super powers. (Also, I kind of want them to give opposing kickers seizures with this thing.)

Oh cool they're building Duga-3

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

He is just the first, and probably the biggest name, to say what a lot of people outside the media have been saying for years. A lot of people on this very forum have commented on special courses and tutors and what not.

This is almost as funny as when Michigan's new president said that their football players weren't qualified to be students at Michigan or when Jim Harbaugh said that Michigan admits borderline guys and steers their players to soft majors.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I hope Auburn's video board catches fire and consumes them all

Let the resulting catastrophe spread over campus and destroy the new trees too

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Actually, one of the replacement trees didn't take root, so they're replacing it- again- next month.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Wylie posted:

Actually, one of the replacement trees didn't take root, so they're replacing it- again- next month.

I like to hope that the site is permanently unusable

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
With great coaches who hang on too long it sucks at the time but eventually you forget it and just remember the good stuff. Beamer's legacy or whatever will be fine, he did way too much for people to judge him based on the final few years, no matter how bad they get. Same with Kirk eventually. Hayden was completely out of gas for most of the 90s and did nothing with multiple teams that should have been Rose Bowl contenders on talent and everyone in Iowa still loves him because of the way he rebuilt the program and what he did in the 80s. Bitterness might last a little longer with Kirk because he's not nearly as charming or personable, but eventually everyone is going to come around on him as arguably the best coach in school history. His peak years were too good by Iowa standards to ignore.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

computer parts posted:

Also lol I legitimately forgot about what 59-0 referred to until just now.

Fun Fact! Auburn was 0-2 against teams coming off of 59-0 losses in 2014.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Can this be the year we finally get the Everyone - is - 4-4 ACC coastal division?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Not if UVA is still in the division

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

pillsburysoldier posted:

Can this be the year we finally get the Everyone - is - 4-4 ACC coastal division?

I suspect UVA will be too bad and VT a little too good for this to be likely, but we'll all certainly give it another go.

Last year everyone in the division except GT ended up within one game of 4-4 so it was certainly within reach.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Wylie posted:

Kind of amazed it's only costing $3.5M, our 111x47 720p board was $11M in 2011. LED boards have gotten cheap

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

Kind of amazed it's only costing $3.5M, our 111x47 720p board was $11M in 2011. LED boards have gotten cheap

If you cant get a 2k resolution at 111x47 in TYOOL 2015, get right out of my face

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KKKLIP ART posted:

If you cant get a 2k resolution at 111x47 in TYOOL 2015, get right out of my face

Hell, 4k or bust these days.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

Hell, 4k or bust these days.

I left out the "at least" but yeah, if you are spending 3.5 million on a board, I don't see how you end up with something that just barely qualifies as a HD resolution.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I ctl+F'd "Corey Avery" for the past ten pages and found nothing, so I want to thank you all for politely turning away as Kansas's hopes get crushed even earlier than usual for a season.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I just got reminded of Jeff Jagodzinski, who was actually kind of ok at BC, good by BC standards at least. They fired him for interviewing for the Jets job before Rex Ryan was hired, then he went on to be OC for the Bucs. Then he was a head coach in the UFL for a year. Out of coaching for a year then he was a WR coach at Ave Maria University of all places (NAIA school), and since 2013 he's been the OC at Georgia State.

Talk about a fall from grace, you go from being an actual candidate for an NFL head coaching job--I mean at least they thought enough of him to bring him in for an interview--to loving Ave Maria WR coach. Which seems even more embarrassing than just being out of a job.

e: poo poo he was fired before ever OCing a real game with the Bucs, I'd forgotten about that too.

He's also known now for writing these crazy emails applying for any FBS HC opening.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Ave Maria is the scummiest school out there, it's Tom Monaghan's pet project and it's loving bizarre. They fired a pretty good coach in Barry Fagan then attempted to pay him off to say he resigned instead of being fired.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Ave Maria is the scummiest school out there, it's Tom Monaghan's pet project and it's loving bizarre. They fired a pretty good coach in Barry Fagan then attempted to pay him off to say he resigned instead of being fired.

It's an even weirder version of Liberty. Monaghan also built an entire town around it, with its own system of strict laws.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/ave-maria-university-a-catholic-project-gone-wrong-6384870

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Their academic standards for athletes are nonexistent. You know how Brian Kelly said that none of his players would get into Notre Dame without being football players? Well yeah, that's accurate, but there are division 1 schools that a lot of them would get into just based on academics. Yeah they wouldn't be Notre Dame quality but there are plenty of D1 schools with pretty low standards.

But at Ave Maria? They had a kid on their football team that had a 10 on his ACT.

A ten.

That's the level of not giving a gently caress that Tom Monaghan has as long as he can bring in kids that he thinks can play ball.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

A 10 on the ACT has to be within the margin of error for random answer selection, holy poo poo.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KKKLIP ART posted:

A 10 on the ACT has to be within the margin of error for random answer selection, holy poo poo.

Yep. According to this page, he probably would have been better off filling every question with the same answer.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

AsInHowe posted:

It's an even weirder version of Liberty. Monaghan also built an entire town around it, with its own system of strict laws.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/ave-maria-university-a-catholic-project-gone-wrong-6384870

quote:

town founder and Domino's Pizza magnate Tom Monaghan

Anytime Dominoes Pizza has anything to do with college football things seem to go poorly.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Their academic standards for athletes are nonexistent. You know how Brian Kelly said that none of his players would get into Notre Dame without being football players? Well yeah, that's accurate, but there are division 1 schools that a lot of them would get into just based on academics. Yeah they wouldn't be Notre Dame quality but there are plenty of D1 schools with pretty low standards.

But at Ave Maria? They had a kid on their football team that had a 10 on his ACT.

A ten.

That's the level of not giving a gently caress that Tom Monaghan has as long as he can bring in kids that he thinks can play ball.

With more fierce competition all over the nation academically I'm not even sure I'd get into UF if I tried to apply today.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Something like a full quarter of the team was ineligible for the last game of the 2013 season due to academics

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
How do you get a 10 on the act? Did this player not fill in any answers

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That test is culturally biased.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Crotch Bat posted:

That test is culturally biased.

Yes, it is very difficult for morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Pitt WR Tyler Boyd was arrested for DUI.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/06/13/pitt-wide-receiver-tyler-boyd-facing-dui-charges-after-being-pulled-over/#.VXygmzxM-54.twitter

He was first-team All-ACC last year. People have been calling Pitt a dark horse for next year, but if this affects Boyd's standing on the team, it's going to hurt Pitt badly.

• Locked thread