Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hugo's or bondage tape works great and I've had no issues with it messing with components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

GrandpaPants posted:

Does anyone have any good Lost Legacy custom sets? I imagine with 4 out already, there's bound to be a lot of good combinations, even if Whitegold is sorta...out there.

We've dabbled in doing custom sets, and when we do we always leave out the majority of the Spire set (the one with the points-based victory, and all the face-up/face-downing of cards). Don't have any specific setups, just that mixing in Spire felt really clunky. Once we took those out we just randomized which cards from each number went in and enjoyed it each time we played.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Welcome to the Dungeon is a nice enough filler game, but it triggers one of my big pet peeves: fundamental rules are just missing from the rulebook.

Like was mentioned earlier, there's no rule for what order you face the monsters. Last in first out? First in first out? Shuffle the deck? It doesn't matter with the warrior, but it does matter with the other adventurers to varying degrees. Our group arbitrarily decided to shuffle the monster pile.

The way the turn flow goes, whoever enters the dungeon one round starts the next round. If they were eliminated, though, then the next player is ????????.

These aren't exactly difficult questions to answer, but they're hardly obscure edge cases either. They're the normal course of play, but the rules don't cover it. That poo poo chafes my rear end.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Some brief observations about some games we played further this week:

Libertalia is a pretty fun card game that's closest relatives imo are games like trick takers or Linko. It's kind of like playing with a hand of only special cards from a game like Tichu. It doesn't have the taking the lead thing (although it indirectly feels that way some times) but it definitely has the hand management in anticipation of tricks that you absolutely need to win, with a little bit of point optimization thrown in.

A couple downsides are that the rules really needed a back of the manual card clarification section like Dominion or Glory to Rome. Every time I've played it, the same drat cards have lead to the same questions and it really feels like this should have been uncovered in development. They also could have come up with something more interesting for breaking ties. In 2 or 3 player games they come up all the time and it's hard to keep track of whether your opponent has you beat. It would be interesting if there was some way the den could be used to break ties.

On the plus side, the game is gorgeous. These French published games are just so good looking.

The Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a fun game but I think it can vary wildly with the play group. The master builder mechanic is so crunchy and feels like a knizia type of mechanic, where you can spend ages calculating the possibilities in an effort to eek out 1000 more marks. Then it has this breezy tile placement game with random elements sort of bolted on top of that mechanic. It's kind of a weird duck, because if you get all knizia on it and overthink the master builder it feels a little overwrought, like a mensa game with a bunch of whimsy applied on top of it, but if you just go with your gut and try and not concede too much to your opponents but don't worry about the margins too much it's fun to build a goofy castle.

It kind of feels like Keyflower if the emphasis on town building and bidding were inverted.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Have to agree on Castles, I felt like it'd be more fun if it did some kind of automatic market thing like Through the Ages or apparently Suburbia has, because the Master Builder role just feels really stressful and when I've played everybody's mostly guessing at what to do.

Which is to say that we enjoyed building wacky castles much more than we did being Master Builder.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Have to agree on Castles, I felt like it'd be more fun if it did some kind of automatic market thing like Through the Ages or apparently Suburbia has, because the Master Builder role just feels really stressful and when I've played everybody's mostly guessing at what to do.

Which is to say that we enjoyed building wacky castles much more than we did being Master Builder.

Honestly, Master Builder was the most fun role for me. Trying to figure out who wanted what by looking at their current castles, then looking at who was likely in the lead, and then costing things accordingly, while taking turn order into account was an awesomely fun mental puzzle. If every turn I got to do that, I would have enjoyed the game a lot more than I did.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Tendales posted:

Welcome to the Dungeon is a nice enough filler game, but it triggers one of my big pet peeves: fundamental rules are just missing from the rulebook.
Yeah, these should have been included in the rulebook but the IELLO rep on BGG did try to clear them up. I've posted them below.

quote:

Like was mentioned earlier, there's no rule for what order you face the monsters. Last in first out? First in first out?
Last in, first out. Build the stack, then pop monsters off the top.

quote:

The way the turn flow goes, whoever enters the dungeon one round starts the next round. If they were eliminated, though, then the next player is ????????.
The person to the eliminated player's left.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Honestly, Master Builder was the most fun role for me. Trying to figure out who wanted what by looking at their current castles, then looking at who was likely in the lead, and then costing things accordingly, while taking turn order into account was an awesomely fun mental puzzle. If every turn I got to do that, I would have enjoyed the game a lot more than I did.

The 2p game is basically Master Builder All Day Long.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My friends built a (5-6 player deck, so 31 cards/2 sets) custom deck of Lost Legacy that is p much all of Vorpal Sword + the most killy/dickish cards from the other sets. It's fantastic.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
A group of my friends tomorrow is getting together to play some Mage Knight. We've got 4 copies and 12 people, so we're gonna do 3 player games. I think we're doing co-op. I'm in charge of teaching my particular group of 3 people, but it's been a long long time since I've played/taught and I'm starting to panic.

I put in the replacement cards/tokens from the expansion, is there anything I should focus on adding/removing aside from that? (I also took out the PVP skills and cards that are recommended to remove for co-op).

Also is there a good video out there that can help me refresh the rules? I've re-read the books and I think I'm good, but still nervous.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
If you have 4 copies, why not just combine them and do 1 big game?

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

If you have 4 copies, why not just combine them and do 1 big game?

Mage Knight is not built to play 12 players, would take forever, and everyone would get sick of it immediately.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Triple-Kan posted:

Mage Knight is not built to play 12 players, would take forever, and everyone would get sick of it immediately.

I think, and hope, that it was a joke.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

silvergoose posted:

I think, and hope, that it was a joke.

"We should play Game X with EVERY EXPANSION one day" is not a strange thing to hear in board game circles.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Triple-Kan posted:

"We should play Game X with EVERY EXPANSION one day" is not a strange thing to hear in board game circles.

At least with Dominion, you could do that, and have it be reasonable. Just choose one card from each set.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
A 12 player game of Mage Knight would take approximately one week.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Prairie Bus posted:

Played Dark Moon tonight. The game is baller.

To summarize, this game shines in generating paranoia. You're constantly questioning everyone's motives - and there's often no clear, solvable answer. I'm looking forward to trying this again on Saturday.

How'd you get your hands on that? I'm super jealous, I'm still waiting on my preorder copy to ship.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

dropkickpikachu posted:

A 12 player game of Mage Knight would take approximately one week.

I've been trying to think of ways to make it work at a reasonable pace.

You'd almost have to do a thing where you build out from the center, with players choosing which portal to build from. Perhaps you put four portal tiles together in the middle, each building out a "quadrant" of the world?

There would need to be a way for multiple players to go at the same time; this would affect how you deal with Tactic cards. Perhaps everyone with a #1 card goes simultaneously, then all of the #2s, and so on?

Unit, Spell, and Advanced Action offers would probably need to be tied to a quadrant. If you go THIS way, you have access to these. Go that way, you get THOSE.

Ditto for the source; unique for each quadrant.

Day/night would EITHER need to be the same for all, or you could do half and half? That could be interesting if you could cross into dark territory at the edges of a quadrant.

I think with rules along those lines you could make it work in a single, very long session.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
12 player mage knight narrow wedge layout with pvp on :getin:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think this might be the only time i ever say this: it'd would be quicker and more efficient to just play Riskopoly.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Play on four boards simultaneously. You have only one deck and must use any card you play in a turn on every board.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So how high a level would a 4 or 8 City big Megapolis be?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So how high a level would a 4 or 8 City big Megapolis be?

Doesn't every player have to be next to the city in order to attack it? As far as I can tell, you would have a maximum of 5+(2*C) players able to attack a city at any given time, where C is the number of cities in a megapolis, which means you would require at least 4 cities to accommodate the 12 players. And that's provided you lay out the cities in a line I think, which would not be the most logical way of doing it (that would be up to 7 cities per tile, starting with the center and building around it).

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Triple-Kan posted:

I still dream of the day I can play and finish an 8 player Twilight Imperium game with all the bells and whistles attached (no Distant Suns tokens, those suck).

Of course, I know that day will never be. Mostly because it'd be borderline impossible to start and finish it in the same day.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Before anyone asks, no, I will not run it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Stelas posted:

Before anyone asks, no, I will not run it.

"because I'll be too busy with Let's Play: Campaign for North Africa"

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

nimby posted:

I still dream of the day I can play and finish an 8 player Twilight Imperium game with all the bells and whistles attached (no Distant Suns tokens, those suck).

Of course, I know that day will never be. Mostly because it'd be borderline impossible to start and finish it in the same day.

That's a very full weekend, minimum.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

You'd almost have to do a thing where you build out from the center, with players choosing which portal to build from. Perhaps you put four portal tiles together in the middle, each building out a "quadrant" of the world?

I think it would be best to play it like Twilight Imperium, draft and lay the tiles out into a big circular map, with each player getting a "Home City" on the edge and the portal in the center. Capturing and holding the portal results in some amount of fame bonus every turn.

It would basically be Heroes of Might & Magic the board game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
One day I'll play dominion with ALLLLL the card stacks! Muahaha

*riffle shuffles a 400 card deck*

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

nimby posted:

Everybody has this dream

(and Distant Suns is great, but probably not for an 8-player game. You don't want somebody getting the hump from a bad draw early on)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

signalnoise posted:

One day I'll play dominion with ALLLLL the card stacks! Muahaha

*riffle shuffles a 400 card deck*

*chapels away deck, runs perfectly tuned goons engine*

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

*runs perfectly tune engine, beats novice opponent*

"I challenge you to find out how i just beat you so flawlessly :smug:"

It was either near the beginning of this thread or sometime during the last where somebody posted something that i think originated on reddit that was exactly that, i'd totally be quoting my sources if i could find it :(

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 13, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

*runs perfectly tune engine, beats novice opponent*

"I challenge you to find out how i just beat you so flawlessly :smug:"

"This game sucks, let's play Cards Against Humanity instead."

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Echophonic posted:

How'd you get your hands on that? I'm super jealous, I'm still waiting on my preorder copy to

[quote="Echophonic" post="446499963"]
How'd you get your hands on that? I'm super jealous, I'm still waiting on my preorder copy to ship.

I know a guy with some connections, and he let me borrow it. I placed my preorder after playing it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Been teaching myself space alert and this game is amazing.

It's a mad frantic scramble, a comedy of errors where you snatch defeat from the jaws of victory when someone fails to make a serendipitous mistake.

Even playing solo, there's a rush there. A real sense of panic which lies at the game's core.

Gonna introduce my group to this tomorrow. I can't wait.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

SUSD really has a knack for showing how terrible games are in their positive reviews.

ShutUpandSitDown on Star Realms posted:

You get all the satisfaction of Dominion without having to think at all.

I really enjoyed Keyflower, and am thinking of getting one of the expansions. Which is better, the Merchants, or the Farmers?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

golden bubble posted:

I really enjoyed Keyflower, and am thinking of getting one of the expansions. Which is better, the Merchants, or the Farmers?

I've heard much better things about Merchants, mostly in that the tiles are more self-contained. Farmers tiles tend to need to work with one another, which can be an issue if enough of them don't come out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm about to have some folks down to play BSG tonight and this is a group who isn't always the best at reading and interpreting rulebooks, and most folks have only played it 0 or 1 times, so are there any good resources or tips for making sure we are all playing it the way God intended? Base game only.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mega64 posted:

"This game sucks, let's play Cards Against Humanity instead."

Die by my blade, normies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I'm about to have some folks down to play BSG tonight and this is a group who isn't always the best at reading and interpreting rulebooks, and most folks have only played it 0 or 1 times, so are there any good resources or tips for making sure we are all playing it the way God intended? Base game only.

I assume you're not going to read the rulebook with the whole group there, right? You're going to teach them the game and then play?

Never learn the game at the table.

also use this: http://www.orderofgamers.com/downloads/BattlestarGalactica_v4.2.pdf