Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Dr. Benway posted:

Are you planning on getting a park hopper pass? You can most likely do Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios or Epcot in one day depending on how you feel about either. Personally I'd do Not So Scary on your Sat so you can enjoy evening at Magic Kingdom without fear of the travel day taking it's toll on Fri.

-Fri. enjoy playing it by ear. (no pun intended)
-Sat. either Epcot or Hollywood, nap, hit Not-So-Scary at MK.
-Sun. Animal Kingdom then whichever park you didn't hit Sat. morning
-Mon. do anything you didn't have a chance for or hit up Downtown Disney for food/shopping. catch your flight.

I don't remember if Not-So-Scary implies that MK stays open later than normal. Last time we did it it was open till midnight or something like that. Shortly after the fireworks it began to rain and there was a stroller stampede for the exit. Neither my wife or I are bothered by rain and stuck around There were no lines for anything, it was pretty great. My favorite joke was the posted 15 min. wait for Space Mountain was because that's how long it took to walk through the mile long que to get to the cars.

Yeah, park hopper is a definite. That looks like a good itinerary, I've got places favorited on the WDW app and am going to shoot for one awesome meal and everything else will be a whatever looks good that day. It looks like F&W will be happening those dates as well - debating on trying to leave Tuesday instead of Monday so I have a full final day to screw around and then pick a final couple things to hit that last morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
If anyone is in the world right now and hitting the last day of Star Wars weekend, I'd check out backlot express around 430. I don't think it's happening in the rebel hangar today.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I just left the park, what happened?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...491434134380742

Just build a villians park. Or a Star Wars and Marvel park. Then the crowds will be diverted. mmmm star wars park

It's going to take more than just a new park to fix the long term problem. I don't know how realistic new resorts would be, or where they could put them (access is key, and the year-long warm weather parts of both coasts are taken), but they seem like the only permanent solution if this is seen as a problem. Demand isn't going down, so unless supply rises with it, prices are going to end up in the stratosphere.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
The author was dead-on, Disney would will continue to push prices up and push out anyone but the top 10% of families who have the disposable income. They're in the business of making money, not making people happy.. that is a damned lie.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sinteres posted:

It's going to take more than just a new park to fix the long term problem. I don't know how realistic new resorts would be, or where they could put them (access is key, and the year-long warm weather parts of both coasts are taken), but they seem like the only permanent solution if this is seen as a problem. Demand isn't going down, so unless supply rises with it, prices are going to end up in the stratosphere.

I think attendance could support a 3rd park, there's just nowhere good to build it.

I can't really think of a good 3rd US location to be honest that would meet the following requirements

1- Close to a major airport, no more than 90 minutes away at the max.
2- Good year round weather, no one dies during the summer, but no freezing winters.
3- Enough land available to have complete control over everything, I don't know that they need 40 sq miles like they have for WDW, but probably at least half of that.

Thinking while I write this, there's only one possibility that I could see, a big enough tract of land on either side of Houston close to the coast.

Other sites I considered

Dallas Fort Worth area: when I saw the Waggoner Ranch go up for sale in TX I thought about how rare it is for a giant chunk of land like that to come up for sale and wouldn't it be cool if Disney bought it and built another park. It's over 2 hours away from the airport and far enough north that winter weather could be a problem though. Available water and staffing would be an issue as well.

San Antonio/Austin area: Land should be obtainable, and it's far enough south it doesn't freeze often, but I don't think there's enough water to support a WDW style resort. The airports in both cities are lacking as well and couldn't handle the traffic.

Corpus Christi/Kingsville/Padre Island: Corpus is a small hub airport, can't happen.

I don't know if there's a decent site in Louisiana or not, but air traffic could be an issue, anything farther east doesn't make sense, and anything farther west than somewhere on the Texas coast doesn't make sense either. Anywhere farther north and you run into Winter weather issues.

I will say one thing though, WDW is basically a privately ran city, I found myself several times thinking "with all things considered what you get for the money, it's pretty cheap". The sheer scale of everything and the number of employees it takes to make it run is astonishing. Yeah it's expensive when I compare it to Six Flags or SeaWorld here in San Antonio, but neither comes close to a WDW experience. I also think they try to accommodate many different price points as best they can.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
About 10 years ago Disney had put in a bid to buy the Mount Washington Resort in Bretton Woods, NH. They ended up not going through with it, but Six Flags recently purchased a park in the area, so it's another consideration, although it would have to be operable only during the summer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You really don't need to build near an existing large airport; Airport capacity will scale to what traffic demands. You DO need to build near an airport with the room available to expand, though. MCO was a relatively small, unimportant airport deep into the eighties, it's only main advantage over others in the area being that, as a disused Strategic Air Command base, it had three gloriously long runways. If you don't have room for more concrete, the airport can't grow.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Build a park in Brazil. Brazilians clearly love Disney parks

Buy some disuses WC stadium and surrounding land

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm pretty sure all the actual discussion is about a new park in Orlando, not another resort somewhere.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If this means less South Americans at the park then one thousand times yes please.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Buy the abandoned Six Flags New Orleans, build up the levees all around it, make it all Tiana themed.

Bayou Disney.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

About 10 years ago Disney had put in a bid to buy the Mount Washington Resort in Bretton Woods, NH. They ended up not going through with it, but Six Flags recently purchased a park in the area, so it's another consideration, although it would have to be operable only during the summer.

Whoa what the gently caress. As someone who lives in NH this just blew my mind

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tim Whatley posted:

Whoa what the gently caress. As someone who lives in NH this just blew my mind

It was right when the Hotel went up for sale, was very hush hush and still is, barely anything online about it if at all, but the town records have some traces.

Six Flags bought Six Gun City, but the town refused them the ability to build a actual Six Flags park on the property so they turned it into a free park.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Buy the abandoned Six Flags New Orleans, build up the levees all around it, make it all Tiana themed.

Bayou Disney.

I approve of this idea

edit: with respect to ADRs, are they easy to change? I made an Ohana reservation but only for 2 people as thats the number currently confirmed to be coming on the trip. But the group may easily grow to 4 or 5. SHould I make a res for 5 people and then lower it to 2? Or....? I just want to have a nice birthday dinner but people can't confirm 6 months in advance :-/

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 16, 2015

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I would make the res for the max amount of people you think will show and scale down from there as needed. It's easier to take some people away rather than add on.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Braksgirl posted:

I would make the res for the max amount of people you think will show and scale down from there as needed. It's easier to take some people away rather than add on.

We made all our reservations for 11, and sometimes we only had 4 or 5 people show up. (A few people were ill on the trip) and it was no big deal. Showing up with 11 to a reservation of 5 though definitely wouldn't work. I kind of felt like a dick, but we had every intention of all 11 of us showing up, unfortunately it just didn't work out that way a few days.

It's my understanding as long as some of the party shows up and eats you won't get charged for missing the reservation.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

skipdogg posted:

We made all our reservations for 11, and sometimes we only had 4 or 5 people show up. (A few people were ill on the trip) and it was no big deal. Showing up with 11 to a reservation of 5 though definitely wouldn't work. I kind of felt like a dick, but we had every intention of all 11 of us showing up, unfortunately it just didn't work out that way a few days.

It's my understanding as long as some of the party shows up and eats you won't get charged for missing the reservation.

Crap.

I dunno if Ill be able to up my res. Looking online there don't seem to be any free tables for 5 at the time I have. I should call right?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I would definitely call dining and see what they can do.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

I would definitely call dining and see what they can do.

Done and fixed

Yay.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Silly Burrito posted:

Bayou Disney.

As long as there are airboats and nods to The Rescuers, I'm totally on board with this.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Doronin posted:

As long as there are airboats and nods to The Rescuers, I'm totally on board with this.

That, right there, just sold me.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

skipdogg posted:

True, and also, and I don't really recommend this, but in some cases, if you check in for your reservation, and have something come up, speaking to the people at the location can result in you not being charged the fee. I had this happen once where I booked a lunch reservation at The Brown Derby and they had done away with their cheaper lunch menu for the peak Easter season (and not posted this fact anywhere), so I basically couldn't afford to eat at the place. They let me leave and didn't charge me 10 bucks a person.

I also had a really great experience at Kona Cafe (my fave table service in all of Disney World) where I booked a dinner reservation, but my phone was on military time, so I mis-read when I was booking for and booked two hours later than I wanted. They told me I could try grabbing a seat at Kona Island, where they serve the full menu (except their delicious bread. Womp Womp), and if I was able to eat there, they'd take my reservation and mark it as used, even though I wouldnt' be seated in the main dining room.

Basically, Moral is: Always ask. Disney is usually able to accomodate in most cases.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 18, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

So my agent hasn't answered me in like weeks, but I'm trying to add +1 to a lot of my Disney reseverations as we added someone to the room. I can't do it online but is this something I can call and do myself, or is it not a big deal to show up with one more in September? Even with places like BOG etc. Thanks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm sure someone else more familiar with show up with an answer, but from my years of working in the restaurant industry, showing up +1 can be tough to deal with. If you're 3 and now have 4, probably pretty easy to accommodate as most places don't have tables for 3. Adding a +1 to a party of 2 or 4 can be trickier. Disney does bend over backwards though so it's unlikely you would get turned away (I would think), but definitely call and modify the reservations ahead of time to be safe.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I was able to turn 2 into 4 pretty easily. But trying to go to 5 made it rough.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Tim Whatley posted:

So my agent hasn't answered me in like weeks, but I'm trying to add +1 to a lot of my Disney reseverations as we added someone to the room. I can't do it online but is this something I can call and do myself, or is it not a big deal to show up with one more in September? Even with places like BOG etc. Thanks.

You can call and make changes to your dining reservations. It's just the room and ticket reservations the agent has to handle.

And just to let you know, if your agent hasn't answered you in weeks, you've got a bad agent. I'd never leave a client hanging longer than a few hours. Unacceptable.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

48 hours until we fly out to WDW. Mentally I've been there all week. I only booked 4 dining reservations this week, kept the schedule light and I'm glad I did. Temps are going to be insane, so we can spend a decent amount of time at the pool mid day. Also doing Universal Wednesday which we have never done before so this should be a fun week.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So for those of you who were collecting the passholder SWW posters how are you planning on framing them (if you were)?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Braksgirl posted:

You can call and make changes to your dining reservations. It's just the room and ticket reservations the agent has to handle.

And just to let you know, if your agent hasn't answered you in weeks, you've got a bad agent. I'd never leave a client hanging longer than a few hours. Unacceptable.

Gotcha. Yeah it's kinda ridiculous. I'm pretty much able to do everything myself but I don't mind someone making commish in the process. I'm doing a bounceback when I go in September, Braks. I'll hit you up before I go so you can claim it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Tim Whatley posted:

Gotcha. Yeah it's kinda ridiculous. I'm pretty much able to do everything myself but I don't mind someone making commish in the process. I'm doing a bounceback when I go in September, Braks. I'll hit you up before I go so you can claim it.

I would be happy to help. I hate dissing another agent but the mediocre ones give the rest of us a bad name.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Douchebag posted:

Temps are going to be insane, so we can spend a decent amount of time at the pool mid day.

It's goddamned awful. Awful like in your skin feels like it is going to melt off. On the drive home yesterday the outside temperature reading while driving was 106.. Wednesday I worked from home, took the dogs out around 3P for a walk and they took three steps out, looked at me and gave me a 'WTF is this poo poo' look and turned around back for the house.

Skeezy posted:

So for those of you who were collecting the passholder SWW posters how are you planning on framing them (if you were)?

I am individually framing them with black frames. Nothing crazy like the one long frame they were using at the park. I sold one complete set on Wednesday on eBay, they guy was crazy enough to use Buy it Now. I'll wait another few weeks or maybe closer to the movie release and put up the other set.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

demonR6 posted:

I am individually framing them with black frames. Nothing crazy like the one long frame they were using at the park. I sold one complete set on Wednesday on eBay, they guy was crazy enough to use Buy it Now. I'll wait another few weeks or maybe closer to the movie release and put up the other set.

If I had the space I'd do individual frames but I'm thinking of getting a frame to hold three and then another one for just the 2. Haven't really decided.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get for the complete set of posters?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

demonR6 posted:

It's goddamned awful. Awful like in your skin feels like it is going to melt off. On the drive home yesterday the outside temperature reading while driving was 106..

We will be moving into our townhouse in Avalon Lakes on Tuesday or Wednesday. Pretty sure I'm going to lose 10 pounds in a day.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

It's goddamned awful. Awful like in your skin feels like it is going to melt off. On the drive home yesterday the outside temperature reading while driving was 106.. Wednesday I worked from home, took the dogs out around 3P for a walk and they took three steps out, looked at me and gave me a 'WTF is this poo poo' look and turned around back for the house.

I've been working my wife on the idea that in a couple years when our kid goes off to college we move to either so-cal or fla to be closer to my work. Florida has been the easier sell since it is cheaper and closer to the north east where our families live but that summer heat is brutal.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Any good website recommendations for the Universal parks? I feel like Ive been doing tons of research on Disney, but know very little about the optimal order to do things at USF and IOA.

Trip is 6 months away and Im already ravenous for as much info as possible

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

Any good website recommendations for the Universal parks? I feel like Ive been doing tons of research on Disney, but know very little about the optimal order to do things at USF and IOA.

Probably the laziest info I can give but as long as you hit Diagon Alley first thing you can pretty much do anything in any order after and it's fine. Granted I was there in September but I did almost everything in both parks in 11 hours starting at Diagon Alley.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Am I right in thinking it's about $1145 per person if I'm taking a girlfriend?

I have a chance to get a free ride to and from, and I've never been so I'm thinking about it but don't want to spend money.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Just sent you a PM braksgirl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

BlueBayou posted:

Orlando Informer has a few good tips, but DL the Universal App, and once you get to the park, it will live update you on wait times.

Tim Whatley posted:

Probably the laziest info I can give but as long as you hit Diagon Alley first thing you can pretty much do anything in any order after and it's fine. Granted I was there in September but I did almost everything in both parks in 11 hours starting at Diagon Alley.

I'd say it depends what all you want to do, and how much you like HP/Simpsons/Whatever. The first time we went, we planned for one day and went back a second because we enjoyed it so much. The second time we went, we spent 3 days, and that was about perfect. You can probably rush through, see everything and look at everything in a day, but if you like a more leisurely pace and to look at all the details, a day or two extra is nice.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 22, 2015