Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

quote:

[10:43:44] <StrangeAeon> ...the hell is a Skull Eater?
[10:43:50] <Ablative> run
[10:43:51] <Ablative> run now
[10:44:03] <StrangeAeon> JESUS gently caress
[10:44:10] <Ablative> i told you to run
[10:44:25] <StrangeAeon> o.o
[10:46:47] <StrangeAeon> Okay, so. Things have been learned.

The Four Job Fiesta is educational! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Jueg01 posted:

That's a one-off, optional sidequest fight with no real buildup and the rest of the party barely even acknowledges the thing's existance.

The only real time there's any sort of (intentional) hilarity is whenever the chocobo chick enters the picture.

There's a few other bits too, really. Like the hunt mission for Zenobia the Butcher. You get to the mission spot, Zenobia puts on a menacing show... then gets its rear end shanked by a drat Tonberry. Now THAT'S funny.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

So I missed last year's 4JF due to it being busy as gently caress at work. Is it still possible to add to the berserker tree? It's hard to tell as all the commands have dropped off the site. I want to add a couple... hundred. That and force RK to hate-play the best FF (well, okay, just a good one).

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

InfernoBlade posted:

So I missed last year's 4JF due to it being busy as gently caress at work. Is it still possible to add to the berserker tree? It's hard to tell as all the commands have dropped off the site. I want to add a couple... hundred. That and force RK to hate-play the best FF (well, okay, just a good one).

The berserker tree can be watered until the Fiesta actually starts, which is on the 22nd.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Please water the tree, because as of now over 100 risk players aren't going to be getting any berserker at all, nevermind anyone getting two!

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Consider the tree well-watered. Oh and I'm going to get my employer to match that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

InfernoBlade posted:

Consider the tree well-watered. Oh and I'm going to get my employer to match that.

:stare:

Guess we don't have to worry about having empty berserker-homes anymore.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

InfernoBlade posted:

You're doing God's work, son.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

InfernoBlade posted:

You are a gift from god. :glomp:

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

InfernoBlade posted:

:sbahj:

This year is gonna have an especially fruitful harvest, ain't it?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

InfernoBlade posted:

S-sugoi ne...

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

InfernoBlade posted:

From each according to his ability.
To each according to his Berserker need.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Chaotic Neutral posted:

:sbahj:

This year is gonna have an especially fruitful harvest, ain't it?

Not as much as I was able to impact it in 2013 though sadly. $600 then was against a much smaller pool of players. And I doubt my employer's match is going to count for the tree, since it won't go through the widget. Nonetheless, I've done what I can. If we get more berserker risk players than berserkers, I might have to do something about that, but hopefully that's enough water.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

InfernoBlade posted:

Not as much as I was able to impact it in 2013 though sadly. $600 then was against a much smaller pool of players. And I doubt my employer's match is going to count for the tree, since it won't go through the widget. Nonetheless, I've done what I can. If we get more berserker risk players than berserkers, I might have to do something about that, but hopefully that's enough water.

That's already around 150 bonus berserkers now, so do not worry, you've already done much, much, much more than enough.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

InfernoBlade posted:

Bless you, sir, bless you!

And The Run will use Monk, Red Mage, Ranger, Dancer. In the end, people always want to see other suffer more than they want to start the fiesta early.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

InfernoBlade posted:

:drat: This is incredible. You are incredible.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwartzcough posted:

And The Run will use Monk, Red Mage, Ranger, Dancer. In the end, people always want to see other suffer more than they want to start the fiesta early.

That's still not very bad.

Monk and Red Mage make World 1 easy enough, Ranger's Rapidfire helps make up for Monk's slowdown in end game and Red Mage can still be a decent support class with double casting heals. The Dancer is the only weak link really.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 13, 2015

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

What would the worst party be? I'm struggling a little to think of what the absolute worst setup is. Knight, Berserker, Bard, and Dancer is probably the worst I could come up with, but Monk would probably suck harder late-game than Knight.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

InfernoBlade posted:

What would the worst party be? I'm struggling a little to think of what the absolute worst setup is. Knight, Berserker, Bard, and Dancer is probably the worst I could come up with, but Monk would probably suck harder late-game than Knight.

Bard and Dancer own. The worst setup is Monk, Berserker, Geomancer, and Dragoon.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
And so, everyone was entitled to a minimum of one and one third Berserkers. May you all receive the triple 'zerk blessing of Fiestas past. Inferno, you are awesome / a monster.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

InfernoBlade posted:

Bard is exceptional and dancer is worse than samurai and chemist, but you'll hear mixed opinions on whether its better than dragoon. Youll want a beast master or a geomancer (mostly the geomancer) if you want to assemble the worst possible team.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

OTOH, bard forces you to fight byblos with just monks and berserkers, which is loving terrible.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

InfernoBlade posted:

Madre de Dios... :stare:

Well, guess I'll start planning around having a Berserker in there somewhere...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bard and monk actually have exceptionally good synergy, since a monk's attack power increases with level. At level 75, their fists are more powerful than a no-run Brave Blade.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

InfernoBlade posted:

The part of me that likes money going to charity loves you.

The part of me that's going to actually attempt to play through beserkerrisk kinda hates you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Bard and monk actually have exceptionally good synergy, since a monk's attack power increases with level. At level 75, their fists are more powerful than a no-run Brave Blade.

After sitting around for 25 turns.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

dis astranagant posted:

Doesn't make the statement not true.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

It's DBZ as gently caress though.

Of course a chemist can do the job better, or as I like to call it, Better Punching Through Chemistry.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wouldn't Red Mage be worse than berserker in this case? It can't get new spells at all after world one, where a 'zerk can still get new weapons, and in this hypothetical team there are no other Mage classes for it to pass !Dualcast to.

E: In the team Monk/X/Geo/Dragoon I mean

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
holy gently caress, thanks dude.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

InfernoBlade posted:

:unsmigghh::hf::black101:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AlphaKretin posted:

Wouldn't Red Mage be worse than berserker in this case? It can't get new spells at all after world one, where a 'zerk can still get new weapons, and in this hypothetical team there are no other Mage classes for it to pass !Dualcast to.

E: In the team Monk/X/Geo/Dragoon I mean

The lack of control makes a huge difference, and !Dualcast passes on at least the Red Mage's magic stat... and Geomancer has an even better Magic stat than that.

But really, it's more about the fact you've permanently got one party member who you can't use. There are actually times (usually when working around counter scripts - hi, Byblos/Sandworm!) that a dead party member is better than Berserker.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doesn't !Dualcast give you white and black magic level 1-3 as well? I could have sworn that was the case.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Doesn't !Dualcast give you white and black magic level 1-3 as well? I could have sworn that was the case.

That is correct.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Fister Roboto posted:

It does, but by the time you've unlocked it ~ara spells will be woefully obsolete.

That said I see Katarani's point and it would still have a bit of utility.

Anonipan1
Mar 2, 2015
My first experience with final fantasy v will be this fiesta.
I hope I don't get a Berserker without #BERSERKERISK in effect

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

One in five odds, and honestly I'd rather have a Berserker than like... half the FFV jobs. :v:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Man, that Fiesta kickoff playthrough is going to have a rough time with NXD. !Rapidfire with the Monk and Ranger can take care of a lot of lategame bosses, but it's pretty loving poo poo there especially if he's playing on a version with the dummy targets. That Dancer is going to be pulling serious weight with Sword Dance, good thing he'll have HP+30% to keep them from being oneshot over and over.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

It does, but by the time you've unlocked it ~ara spells will be woefully obsolete.

That said I see Katarani's point and it would still have a bit of utility.

I wouldn't say obsolete, especially since there'd be nothing to replace them in that scenario. Dual-casted ra spells are decent damage, about on par with a single cast of Bio.

And of course, if you do need ga spells, the red mage can always break rods. That should be the end of the discussion right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

I wouldn't say obsolete, especially since there'd be nothing to replace them in that scenario. Dual-casted ra spells are decent damage, about on par with a single cast of Bio.

And of course, if you do need ga spells, the red mage can always break rods. That should be the end of the discussion right there.

You'd be surprised how many people seem to just reflexively believe that rod-snapping is a form of "cheating" or exploit and don't think their run should count if they do it. People are weird.

(Technically, don't Red Mages get staffs, too? That should make it so you can snap Judgement Staffs on W2 Exdeath's face, too. That's gotta be worth something.)

• Locked thread