Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Death March is some retarded horse poo poo. It offers nothing more than nigh unkillable damage sponge enemies that hit like Goku. I was just eviscerated by a pack of wolves because suddenly they have the hit points of a Leshen.

What exactly were you expecting from the very highest difficulty setting?

JetsGuy posted:

That's what I figured they meant. I found a blue chest piece that was worse than the green I found which was lol to me. I have several swords I think I may have sold a green sword I found because it was crap compared go the blue and gold ones I hold. Perhaps that was a mistake.

I'll look again for a collapsed tower. Sorry I can't be specific at the moment.

The green witcher gear people are referring to is crafted. You can upgrade your crafted sets later on, so hang onto them. Anything gear you loot regardless of rarity can just be vendored if you're not going to wear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.
Just finished the game, and did EVERYTHING how I wanted except one thing. It bothers me enough to load a pre-final-decisions save and try again.

(end game spoilers)

Redeemed the Baron, Keira went on adventures with Lambert, killed Whoreson's crazy rear end, saved the Mages, killed Radovid and Djikstra, Cerys on the Skellige throne, Geralt with Yennefer...

the ONE loving THING I MESSED UP: Ciri became empress. While this is probably the "best" ending for most of the populace, Ciri seems so sad about it. Made me feel like poo poo.

p.s. cat school gear, ursine swords, and a whirl+rend combat heavy build with some aard, quen, and igni talents thrown in = obviously best build

sometimes i load the game up and just look for a group of low-level bandits, then whirl into them cutting off arms, heads, torsos...

Muffin Rhino fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 13, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

What exactly were you expecting from the very highest difficulty setting?

The green witcher gear people are referring to is crafted. You can upgrade your crafted sets later on, so hang onto them. Anything gear you loot regardless of rarity can just be vendored if you're not going to wear it.

Perhaps something more engaging than simple damage/health boosted mobs?

LoL this game is loving retarded. If I get attacked by a pack of wolves, guards will attack *me* because my sword is out. Now I have to fight 6 wolves and 4 guards who are level 15 to my level 3 Geralt. Thinking the guards have their weapons drawn to help a guy whose being mauled by wolves, I run to them only to be one shotted by a shithead on horseback. And then robbed.

What a great game.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 13, 2015

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I've been playing on the second highest difficulty and the main problem with it is that monsters do no damage and die in 2 hits (or one full whirlwind for bosses) so that actually sounds like a good idea.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

sauer kraut posted:

Being a blacksmith in that universe must suck.
Big day today! The legendary White Wolf came by my shop and repaired his armor set, then had some superior swords and a unique crossbow crafted. Now I can buy three apples for my children and a glass of beer for myself.

He took my best gwent card though :smith:
In my universe it's similar but different-

'Big day today! The legendary White Wolf came by my shop and repaired his armor set, then had some superior swords and a unique crossbow crafted. Then he made me buy a load of junk weapons and other poo poo until he basically broke even the stingy bastard!' :downsgun:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Muffin Rhino posted:

Just finished the game, and did EVERYTHING how I wanted except one thing. It bothers me enough to load a pre-final-decisions save and try again.

(end game spoilers)

Redeemed the Baron, Keira went on adventures with Lambert, killed Whoreson's crazy rear end, saved the Mages, killed Radovid and Djikstra, Cerys on the Skellige throne, Geralt with Yennefer...

the ONE loving THING I MESSED UP: Ciri became empress. While this is probably the "best" ending for most of the populace, Ciri seems so sad about it. Made me feel like poo poo.

p.s. cat school gear, ursine swords, and a whirl+rend combat heavy build with some aard, quen, and igni talents thrown in = obviously best build

sometimes i load the game up and just look for a group of low-level bandits, then whirl into them cutting off arms, heads, torsos...
Ciri going on witchering adventures with her real dad is the best conclusion when it comes to that. :colbert:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Not feeling Yen, she's fun and witty but likes to trample over people beneath her. We can be a free agent Geralt, let's give Shanni a call.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Accordion Man posted:

Ciri going on witchering adventures with her real dad is the best conclusion when it comes to that. :colbert:

Geralt still has to split eventually to go sleep in every day with Yen, leaving his adopted daughter to die on the Path like every other Witcher that isn't Geralt. And to get to that ending you have to take the choice away from Ciri and tell her not to speak to her dad. Empress of Nilfgard ending is the best ending.

Edit : Shani's not a good choice, if you import a save from Witcher 1 where you picked her instead of Triss it reveals that she dumped Geralt because he's an immature weirdo.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

As I said it never gave me an indication that I could continue the quest and I beat the entire game a week ago. Do you have to go see Djikstra later without the game prompting you?

I dunno. Maybe you need to tell Dijkstra about the emperors internal struggle to get it moving again?
The Radovid assassination should pick back up when you calm down the blinded sorc in his bathhouse

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Regarding ending choices: I felt that choosing to ignore the visit to the Emperor/not telling Ciri about his request would be a really lovely move by Geralt, who otherwise is pretty determined to let Ciri choose her own destiny. Don't you think she oughta know about all the possible options before choosing?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Gilganixon posted:

Geralt still has to split eventually to go sleep in every day with Yen, leaving his adopted daughter to die on the Path like every other Witcher that isn't Geralt. And to get to that ending you have to take the choice away from Ciri and tell her not to speak to her dad. Empress of Nilfgard ending is the best ending.

Edit : Shani's not a good choice, if you import a save from Witcher 1 where you picked her instead of Triss it reveals that she dumped Geralt because he's an immature weirdo.
but i can chaaaaaaaange

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Honest Thief posted:

but i can chaaaaaaaange

shani take me back i've equipped the mutagen for commitment

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

You have to be on good terms with Djikstra so don't burn the Witch Hunter base to the ground and find his treasure for him. He'll then talk to you about it after you help Triss escape Novigrad with the mages. He'll talk to you about it no matter what but if you have a poo poo relationship with him the subplot will be cut short after the first mission he gives you dealing with it. (Which is what happened to me)

Ahahahahaha poo poo oops; I burnt the witch hunter base down, didn't find his treasure (I would have but the game didn't prompt me once to do it) and punched him in the face as I was fleeing the bathhouse. No wonder I didn't get that quest; though it seems odd to allow you to do the preperatory work (freeing Thaler) and nothing else. Thematically appropriate yes but confusing from a gameplay standpoint.

In other news I finally completed the game; I guess if I hadn't hosed up the Radovid assassination that ending slideshow would've been a little different. All in all I feel that the main story would've been stronger, if less spectacular, if it had ended around the battle of kaer morhen. The whole 'wild hunt are interdimensional space elves' development was... alright I guess and I guess they had to get as much story relating to them in as possible since they were barely in the first three quarters of the game but bleh, I feel like it kind of got away its main strengths. It wasn't bad at all but I liked the story being more restrained and human in the earlier game. It felt like an epilogue of sorts that lasted the length of a call of duty campaign, partly because of that message before you get to the isle of mists that implies that you've entered the ENDGAME and there is NO TURNING BACK when in reality you don't really fail any uncompleted quests and no areas are locked off, it's just a longish story section. Feels a bit incongruous with the narrative as well which ratchets up in pace and urgency even as you're still getting contracts off peasants. Ciri's 'i must go my planet needs me' speech at the end kinda game out of left field, despite the white frst being established as a threat. I guess I just like the low key elements more, and not just becasue the high key elements seem to include millions of particle effects that obliterate my framerate.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 13, 2015

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
Tell us please, absolutely love elven legends.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

Regarding ending choices: I felt that choosing to ignore the visit to the Emperor/not telling Ciri about his request would be a really lovely move by Geralt, who otherwise is pretty determined to let Ciri choose her own destiny. Don't you think she oughta know about all the possible options before choosing?

Before that point in a discussion between Geralt and Emhyr, Geralt has a dialog option that ends with him telling the Emperor that he'll only bring Ciri to him if she wants to go. Forcing it on her when it's legit irrelevant to the main plot or her problems seems way shittier to me than not asking her to go somewhere she does not want to go and talk to a guy who is honestly pretty poo poo to her.

Generic Monk posted:

Ahahahahaha poo poo oops; I burnt the witch hunter base down, didn't find his treasure (I would have but the game didn't prompt me once to do it) and punched him in the face as I was fleeing the bathhouse. No wonder I didn't get that quest; though it seems odd to allow you to do the preperatory work (freeing Thaler) and nothing else. Thematically appropriate yes but confusing from a gameplay standpoint.

You do get that quest even if you don't find Djikstra's gold. The only thing that locks out is getting his help in the battle for Kaer Morhen, and he probably just gives you a lovely weapon anyway. I burned the Witch Hunter base to the ground and still did the assassination quest line to completion. They are not related at all.

Now, punching him in the face, though, that might do the trick.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 13, 2015

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Before that point in a discussion between Geralt and Emhyr, Geralt has a dialog option that ends with him telling the Emperor that he'll only bring Ciri to him if she wants to go. Forcing it on her when it's legit irrelevant to the main plot or her problems seems way shittier to me than not asking her to go somewhere she does not want to go and talk to a guy who is honestly pretty poo poo to her.

Yeah but you have to kind of actively hide the subject to get out of it. And it's geographically on the way to where they're going anyways. It's pretty shady especially given how hard he's been trying to find her and he's completely willing to do whatever is necessary to ensure her safety. Sure, their meeting pisses her off, but when actually given the knowledge that Emhyr wants to hand her his kingdom she bites and eventually accepts his offer when she's fully capable of loving off to nowhere any time.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

You do get that quest even if you don't find Djikstra's gold. The only thing that locks out is getting his help in the battle for Kaer Morhen, and he probably just gives you a lovely weapon anyway. I burned the Witch Hunter base to the ground and still did the assassination quest line to completion. They are not related at all.

Now, punching him in the face, though, that might do the trick.

hahahahahaha I knew that'd gently caress me over omg

sorry mages and nonhumans, you know i can't turn down a 'punch a guy' prompt. he had such a big gurny warty face! oh yeah and I broke his leg too. oops. enjoy your pyres i guess

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 13, 2015

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wait, there's a way for Dijkstra to get his gold back right there and then? I vaguely recall that I only found a key, didn't know what it opens, then someone said there's some vault in Kovir or something. To get the actual gold, do you need to talk to the main witch hater guy first (rather than murdering everybody first)?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, at the time I didn't go with the option to bring it up because taking out The Wild Hunt is more important and it felt more like "We're going to see Emhyr whether you like it or not" to me so I didn't go with it because I was playing Good Dad Geralt who understood Ciri was an adult. I also had Geralt say that he was doing the whole mission for her and to make sure she was fine and couldn't give a poo poo what Emhyr wanted.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 14, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Thunderbro posted:

Yeah but you have to kind of actively hide the subject to get out of it. And it's geographically on the way to where they're going anyways. It's pretty shady especially given how hard he's been trying to find her and he's completely willing to do whatever is necessary to ensure her safety. Sure, their meeting pisses her off, but when actually given the knowledge that Emhyr wants to hand her his kingdom she bites and eventually accepts his offer when she's fully capable of loving off to nowhere any time.

This is the guy that tries to kidnap Ciri (his daughter) to marry and have a kid with her and, at the end of the books when he captures Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri, has gives Geralt and Yen the option of either dying by the sword (and scarring Ciri for life) or both killing themselves where she won't see so she can live a lie where the two of them live happily ever after. His guilty conscience at the very last second is the only reason Geralt got to live a bit longer and have his death by pitchfork later. He also killed Ciri's mom and marries a lookalike of Ciri, so that's pretty hosed up as well.

Frankly, I don't even understand the plot point in the game where he wants to make Ciri Empress because it doesn't make any sense. Until I'd heard that he actually legitimately goes through with it, I figured he was trying to trick you.

fake edit: tho I did kinda figure at the time that I'd have more than literally one chance to broach the subject in the entire game

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

jaete posted:

Wait, there's a way for Dijkstra to get his gold back right there and then? I vaguely recall that I only found a key, didn't know what it opens, then someone said there's some vault in Kovir or something. To get the actual gold, do you need to talk to the main witch hater guy first (rather than murdering everybody first)?

Yeah, that whole questline just felt weirdly unresolved and unexplained, most likely because it required a finesse that I, WitchMan MonsterHunter III, simply didn't possess. Not like I'm gonna let triss get tortured when I can just blow poo poo up though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Does Geralt ever tell his zeugl story

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Manatee Cannon posted:

Frankly, I don't even understand the plot point in the game where he wants to make Ciri Empress because it doesn't make any sense. Until I'd heard that he actually legitimately goes through with it, I figured he was trying to trick you.

I guess it's a bit more family friendly than following the plot from the books. Guessing this was some creative freedom CDPR took instead of it being true to the books.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, at the time I didn't go with the option to bring it up because taking out The Wild Hunt is more important and it felt more like "We're going to see Emhyr whether you like it or not" to me so I didn't go with it because I was playing Good Dad Geralt who understood Ciri was an adult. I also had Geralt say that he was doing the whole mission for her and to make sure she was fine and couldn't give a poo poo what Emhyr wanted.

She seemed pretty indifferent to it in my game so I was like 'might as well.' turned down the money since I'm too much of a baller to buy poo poo but at least I got a free horse out of the deal and it didn't really seem to hurt her in any way

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

fake edit: tho I did kinda figure at the time that I'd have more than literally one chance to broach the subject in the entire game
It's because all the nobles are beginning to start a coup and he needs a powerful person like Ciri to get them off his back. If Ciri doesn't become Empress and Emyhr loses the war he gets assassinated, which was the ending I got. I think Ermion was the person that also brings up the fact that Emyhr is just using the war with the North in order to placate the nobles and try and look powerful, whether it succeeds or horribly backfires is up to you.

Also with that stuff from the books that I didn't know about until now I'm even happier that he got shanked.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 14, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

This is the guy that tries to kidnap Ciri (his daughter) to marry and have a kid with her and, at the end of the books when he captures Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri, has gives Geralt and Yen the option of either dying by the sword (and scarring Ciri for life) or both killing themselves where she won't see so she can live a lie where the two of them live happily ever after. His guilty conscience at the very last second is the only reason Geralt got to live a bit longer and have his death by pitchfork later. He also killed Ciri's mom and marries a lookalike of Ciri, so that's pretty hosed up as well.

this is a way better and more consistent plotline than the let me make her empress schtick. in this game he kind of gave an impression of just being a mildly authoritarian pushover. I expected to at least get locked in a dungeon or something. radovid looked like he had tons of potential for regal dickery but never got that far :(

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Skilleddk posted:

This is seriously the best game I've ever played. I liked Witcher 1 and 2, but never finished them. This is a whole other level, I cannot loving stop playing. It's summer, friends are asking me to go to the beach and drink beers and all I'm doing is playing loving Witcher 3.

My PS4 actually breaking is a blessing in disguise because it means I can no longer play witcher 3, I am now actually going out and going to the gym again.

It is a great game gonna have a break for a month or two then get my console fixed haha

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

It's because all the nobles are beginning to start a coup and he needs a powerful person like Ciri to get them off his back. If Ciri doesn't become Empress and Emyhr loses the war he gets assassinated, which was the ending I got. I think Ermion was the person that also brings up the fact that Emyhr is just using the war with the North in order to placate the nobles and try and look powerful, whether it succeeds or horribly backfires is up to you.

Also with that stuff from the books that I didn't know about until now I'm even happier that he got shanked.

But, see, the thing is that this undermines his rule waaay more. Bringing Ciri back is politically retarded because he married a lookalike that pretended to be Ciri so he could marry his way into ruling Cintra. Bringing back Ciri is just proof that A) this was a lie, and B) Ciri is his daughter and thus he wanted to bone his own kid.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

But, see, the thing is that this undermines his rule waaay more. Bringing Ciri back is politically retarded because he married a lookalike that pretended to be Ciri so he could marry his way into ruling Cintra. Bringing back Ciri is just proof that A) this was a lie, and B) Ciri is his daughter and thus he wanted to bone his own kid.
Ah, yeah guess CD Project retconned some of that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd hope so but when the games do not mention something being different (or at all), the natural thing to do is to assume it is the same. Obviously things work out for if you do it that way but you have every reason in the world not to trust the Emperor.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Ah, yeah guess CD Project retconned some of that.

Can you really retcon something if you're not writing the canon?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 14, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

GrossMurpel posted:

Can you really retcon something if you're not writing the canon?

Yes, just ask Beinoff and Weiss, the showrunners and eventual people to complete Game of Thrones.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Gilganixon posted:

(these are all ending spoilers since quotes are truncating the conversation)

To be fair, I really can't see a way Ciri ends up dying on the Path because she's not just a Witcher. She is an extremely powerful sorceress with total control over time and space, on top of and complementing the martial skills a Witcher normally has.

poo poo, the driving force of the game's plot is that only a force as powerful as the Wild Hunt can cause her problems, but now they're dead. Furthermore, when pushed to the edge she effortlessly chumps that same force at Kaer Morhen through uncontrolled use of the Power that having Elder Blood gives her. by the end of the game, not only does she have a hell of a lot more control over it but now has the freedom to develop it further, if she wants, without the invading army of space elves not giving her time to do so. There's no monster in the world that'll match that kind of threat.

Ciri can and probably does succeed if she becomes empress but there are many people who can rule countries. Ciri's relationship with Geralt, in the Witcher ending, leads her to decide to use her immense power to do what a Witcher would do, slay monsters and help the poor, unfortunate masses of the world. Think of her line in the inn at the end where she already has another job lined up for the two of them which she thinks is worth doing even if it doesn't pay well. She basically becomes Superwoman in that ending, which is a role only she can fill.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
This is odd. On my Death March playthough, in Vizima, when Geralt is being shaved and general Voohes or whatever comes in, I wasn't asked the questions of previous playthroughs on easier difficulties. Is this normal?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Did you import a save? If not, you might have not selected to simulate a Witcher 2 save when starting your new playthrough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

This is odd. On my Death March playthough, in Vizima, when Geralt is being shaved and general Voohes or whatever comes in, I wasn't asked the questions of previous playthroughs on easier difficulties. Is this normal?

You have to pick the option to simulate a Witcher 2 save when you start a new game.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Harrow posted:

You have to pick the option to simulate a Witcher 2 save when you start a new game.

Ahh god dammit. Does this mean Letho won't be making an appearance?

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007
Seriously the Witcher 3's writing got really messy and rushed near the end. Especially since it started making up and contradicting what the white frost really is, and forgotten why the Wild Hunt needed Ciri in the first place (it was extremely difficult to travel between worlds and they could only reliably do it by sending their spectral image instead of physical bodies, thus they need Ciri's power and bloodline to create the gate they need to invade). Then again they've also forget to characterize what the wild hunt was really about and what kind of people they really are.

There's a more indepth discussion of the writing's weakness in this thread.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/46571-Why-the-main-narrative-in-the-last-third-of-the-game-is-a-bad-hot-mess-major-spoilers!!!

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Game is telling me that I am replenishing my potion stock with Alcohest but I cannot seem to find alcohest in my inventory. Is it an invisible stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Ahh god dammit. Does this mean Letho won't be making an appearance?

Letho did not show up for me and I chose not to use a Witcher 2 save on my playthrough. So... probably not!