Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

canepazzo posted:

Are rebels really supposed to siege and give separatism/religious unrest in 1 siege cycle in forts Zone of Control provinces? Cause if so, that's really, really dumb - even having one army in the area I can only take care of one rebel army before they siege down, if 2-3 spawn you're getting the penalties.

This has been a common complaint since the patch dropped. Hopefully it was unintended, because yea it's pretty annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Quick poll: does anyone use the text log? I rarely if ever look at it, and I'm wondering what I'm missing?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Since they've changed the Base Tax system, I'm curious as to what the heck is going on with vassalization now.

Hejaz refuses to be vassalized by me because "Ottoman economic base compared to Hejazi":

But is probably one of the poorest nations in terms of development/economy:

What gives?

edit: if it helps, I have 816 total development and they have 56.

Deutsch Nozzle fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 13, 2015

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

randomcommoner posted:

Shows how much I know about history that I thought it was a bug. Thanks.

The other funny thing was that France joined the Protestant League despite being Catholic. At this time the Hapsburgs were on the throne of Austria and Spain, which also included the Spanish Netherlands, meaning France was surrounded on all sides and it wasn't exactly very centralized or powerful. Luckily for France they had a really clever man dictating foreign policy: Cardinal Richelieu

It's one of the most devastating wars in European history. If you enjoy military/diplomatic history, it's a pro-read though the wiki link is mostly just a summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years%27_War

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Since they've changed the Base Tax system, I'm curious as to what the heck is going on with vassalization now.

Hejaz refuses to be vassalized by me because "Ottoman economic base compared to Hejazi":

What gives?

What is up with Poland in that screenshot :psyduck:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Bishop Rodan posted:

What is up with Poland in that screenshot :psyduck:

They've been... busy.

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008
Currently I'm trying to play a "tall" game as Genoa. Noticed that in the trade view, the trade routes from the Sevilla node to Genoa and the Champagne node to Genoa have disappeared at some point. Is this an event I'm unaware of or just a bug?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Are my vassals supposed to be able to have vassals too? Maybe I just didn't notice this if it changed recently, or maybe it's a bug.

Basically I was warring Khiva who had vassals Nogai and Kazak, I gave all of Khiva's territory to my vassal Ardalan, and after the peace was processed Ardalan had Nogai and Kazak as vassals now.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

What gives?

I've run into the same issue with trying to vassalize someone as Russia. A 5 or 6 province Kiev popped up next to me after they got released from Lithuania by someone and I couldn't vassalize them despite having a similar disparity in development as your game.

Seems like it's a bit overkill (assuming the intent is to make it harder for the player to swallow up every nation surrounding him) considering there's already a hard 100.0 dev limit to vassalization and how hard it can be to get +190 rep in certain situations.

TomEmanski posted:

Currently I'm trying to play a "tall" game as Genoa. Noticed that in the trade view, the trade routes from the Sevilla node to Genoa and the Champagne node to Genoa have disappeared at some point. Is this an event I'm unaware of or just a bug?

Are you using a UI mod? I think I saw someone mention that one of them got rid of those accidentally when updating to 1.12. They're still there, but they don't show up.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

canepazzo posted:

Are rebels really supposed to siege and give separatism/religious unrest in 1 siege cycle in forts Zone of Control provinces? Cause if so, that's really, really dumb - even having one army in the area I can only take care of one rebel army before they siege down, if 2-3 spawn you're getting the penalties.
No, not if the province is next to an active fort

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

What gives?

Did they just directly translate the old "ratio of your base tax to their squared base tax" rule from base tax to development? By going from base tax to development raw values should have ~tripled, but that means the square of their development will have gone up 9x. So before you would have had ~300 BT to their 20, for a ratio of 300/20^2 = 0.75. Now you have 900 to their 60, for a ratio of 900/60^2 = 0.25. I doubt that's it, but who knows.

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008

VDay posted:

Are you using a UI mod? I think I saw someone mention that one of them got rid of those accidentally when updating to 1.12. They're still there, but they don't show up.

That's probably it. Using a thicker border and transparent political map mod.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

This is probably my new favorite event

Also Athens become Emperor, and won the league wars

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Just found out the hard way that though you can select both land and enforce union in the same peace offer, you don't get the land (but you sure get the AE, and the war score requirements, and the diplomatic points taken).

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
If I vassalize the Emperor, do I become Emperor? It's hereditary

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
So apparently with the new government rank/title systems there's some fun little Easter eggs depending on your culture, government, and religion.

Animist Egyptian monarchies get to be Pharaohs, while Italian ones can become Imperator if they manage to become an empire.

German republic empires get Presidents, while Islamic ones get Grand Viziers.

If your a Confucian theocratic empire, your led by a Son of Heaven.

However if you want true power form a Romanian empire and have your ruler can transcend their mortal form and become a Car.

The full list can be found in Europa Universalis IV\common\government_names

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

anyone else have a bug where they can't left-click to select provinces? tried to play a game even though the hotkeys don't work; found this bug too. did make me find out you can right-click provinces to go directly to the diplomacy window, though.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Vorpal Cat posted:

your ruler can transcend their mortal form and become a Car.

Sports car, or a sedan?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

shallowj posted:

anyone else have a bug where they can't left-click to select provinces? tried to play a game even though the hotkeys don't work; found this bug too. did make me find out you can right-click provinces to go directly to the diplomacy window, though.

I've had this a few times (after I meddled with mods so I figured it was 'cause of that), relaunching seems to fix it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

shallowj posted:

I get it occasionally and I just fix it by alt+tabbing to desktop and back into the game.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Haven't played since just before El Dorado was released. I just bought that expansion (don't have CS, though) and patched up. My game used to run smoothly but now, while the game runs at proper speed, menus open like slideshows, shuddering into being rather than smoothly opening. I have a healthy SSD, plenty of RAM, and while my video card isn't a titan, it has the latest drivers and was more than enough prior (R7 200). Anyone else encounter performance issues recently?

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

Elman posted:

I get it occasionally and I just fix it by alt+tabbing to desktop and back into the game.

Hey wow that worked. It happens for me with every launch and this clears it up. When I start the game it doesn't open as the active window anymore for some reason; I have to alt-tab over to get it to load. Must be what messes it up initially and then another alt-tab fixes it. Thanks!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Some folks in Nite Crew will be playing an MP game tomorrow around 9pm EST. anyone who'd like in is welcome. I'll be hosting as I have all the content DLC. No real frame of what we are doing other than hanging out and playing some EU4 for awhile.

Stop by Tea Time Crew in CCCC let us know if you're interested.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know someone told me you can do it, but I can't figure out how to sort the province view by total development. I see tax, base tax, production and other things but not total development.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Can we put a dummies guide to idea groups in the second post? I'm an expansionary-but-still-somehow-Emperor Austria upholding the mighty Catholic faith, and I've got Quantity, Diplomatic, and Economic ideas already. Defensive seems like the most useful, for the army tradition and fort defense bonuses, but I can never remember the usual recommendations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vorpal Cat posted:

So apparently with the new government rank/title systems there's some fun little Easter eggs depending on your culture, government, and religion.

Animist Egyptian monarchies get to be Pharaohs, while Italian ones can become Imperator if they manage to become an empire.

German republic empires get Presidents, while Islamic ones get Grand Viziers.

If your a Confucian theocratic empire, your led by a Son of Heaven.

However if you want true power form a Romanian empire and have your ruler can transcend their mortal form and become a Car.

The full list can be found in Europa Universalis IV\common\government_names

If you are a Kathiwar tribal Emperor, you are a GREAT JAM.

reL
May 20, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Which mod is this again? I didn't see it in the OP.

Illusionary Flat Political Mapmode v1.0
TBARW EXTRA: White Font
TBARW EXTRA: Thick Borders and recolored water ver. 1.3

Those are three I'm running in that screenshot.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
I'm really loving all the changes so far. The new fort system makes warfare much more interesting, I was getting bored of just marching straight through an enemy country to their capital without further thought. I find this scratches a sort of tactical itch that was lacking previously, and I actually enjoy building and strategically placing forts now.

Vorpal Cat posted:

Perfect! Now I can finally do that Revolutionary Girl Utena campaign.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Kersch posted:

No, not if the province is next to an active fort

The only zones that slow down rebel sieges are zones with a fort in them, the adjacent ones still get sieged down in 1 cycle; they still get back under your control if the army moves out, but you're still getting the separatism/religious zeal.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

verbal enema posted:

Some folks in Nite Crew will be playing an MP game tomorrow around 9pm EST. anyone who'd like in is welcome. I'll be hosting as I have all the content DLC. No real frame of what we are doing other than hanging out and playing some EU4 for awhile.

Stop by Tea Time Crew in CCCC let us know if you're interested.

I would love to play, but what the gently caress is CCCC and how can I find it?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

What do you suppose are the odds that Common Sense goes on sale during the summer sale?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

What do you suppose are the odds that Common Sense goes on sale during the summer sale?

0%

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I think the theme of Common Sense should be "Everything's crazy." If you want proof, just look at how my Poland game is going.

Highlights include:

-No Burgundian Inheritance

-No Iberian Wedding

-Castille getting it's poo poo wrecked by Aragon/France/Portugal

-Nassau (yes really) is the emperor :wtc:

-Brittany eating part of France :psyduck:

-

And finally...

Muscovy getting it's rear end kicked by Perm :vince:

I've never seen anything like this game. I mean, most of Muscovy being lovely is my doing as I've been feeding them to Lithuania for that sweet, sweet 0 diplo annexation by decision, but I didn't beat them bad enough that they should be regularly losing wars to Perm. After this screenshot they ended up having to release Novgorod and are just waiting to get annexed by Scandinavia or me.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

axeil posted:

So I think the theme of Common Sense should be "Everything's crazy." If you want proof, just look at how my Poland game is going.

Don't have a screenshot, but I saw Corfu conquer all of Greece.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

canepazzo posted:

The only zones that slow down rebel sieges are zones with a fort in them, the adjacent ones still get sieged down in 1 cycle; they still get back under your control if the army moves out, but you're still getting the separatism/religious zeal.

They provinces adjacent to a fort DO get captured in 1 siege tick by rebels, but they should not get separatism/zeal/etc. from rebel occupation unless the fort falls too. If this isn't correct, then the paradox employee who answered this question was either wrong or was talking about a future change.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Tales from Frankfurt, an ironman Free City striving to remain both free and a single city from 1444 till 1821.

The holiest, freest nation of one city.

Also the tiniest and most power projecting city in the world (on 1552)

And now protestantism has hit the city and I'm at a lost on what to do. Religious turmoil will be annoying as hell and my income will take a -0.33% hit if I choose to remain Catholic but I don't think I can even reconvert the province back even after religious zeal wears off. I could just jump to protestant but my worries are that it will get converted to reformed and that protestantism is really weak in this world because all 3 religious centers spawned in the lowlands so both england and the denmark alliance remained catholic.

Only one free city to look after and I'm struck by indecision.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Tales from Frankfurt, an ironman Free City striving to remain both free and a single city from 1444 till 1821.

And now protestantism has hit the city and I'm at a lost on what to do. Religious turmoil will be annoying as hell and my income will take a -0.33% hit if I choose to remain Catholic but I don't think I can even reconvert the province back even after religious zeal wears off. I could just jump to protestant but my worries are that it will get converted to reformed and that protestantism is really weak in this world because all 3 religious centers spawned in the lowlands so both england and the denmark alliance remained catholic.

Flip to protestant. Just go for it. The Church Power development discount will aid your free city a lot, and most of the minor powers around the area will also flip your way, so the emperor won't be able to do much about it. The centres of reformation will also spread out past the lowlands before long. Spend your papalbux though before you do it.

Also, you can take vassals. Beat on the Palatinate to punch out Mainz, then vassalize them and make Mainz into a march then feed them all of the land surrounding you.

e; guessing hesse might be a vassal actually, looking twice. They are not as good a vassal as Mainz would be, but they'll do alright.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I did a Frankfurt game, went Protestant and then went back to Catholic after the 30YW fizzled as none of the major nations outsides of the HRE converted. Used converting back as a way to get Austria to like me enough to give me back free city status, lost it when an ally game me Mainz in some war, had a claim because needed a CB to make all the cash money.

edit: I used Nassau as my march, probably not the best choice. Also lost some wars due to poor planning.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Another Person posted:

Flip to protestant. Just go for it. The Church Power development discount will aid your free city a lot, and most of the minor powers around the area will also flip your way, so the emperor won't be able to do much about it. The centres of reformation will also spread out past the lowlands before long. Spend your papalbux though before you do it.

Also, you can take vassals. Beat on the Palatinate to punch out Mainz, then vassalize them and make Mainz into a march then feed them all of the land surrounding you.

e; guessing hesse might be a vassal actually, looking twice. They are not as good a vassal as Mainz would be, but they'll do alright.

Hesse and Cologne are my marches. Mainz already got ate up by Trier at this point. But it's not like I had the freedom to pick who to be my vassals or who to even go to war against since it all depended on the web of alliances. Hesse is kinda crappy though since they're a theocracy who went Defensive and Religious as their first two ideas but oh well.

WilliamAnderson posted:

I did a Frankfurt game, went Protestant and then went back to Catholic after the 30YW fizzled as none of the major nations outsides of the HRE converted. Used converting back as a way to get Austria to like me enough to give me back free city status, lost it when an ally game me Mainz in some war, had a claim because needed a CB to make all the cash money.

edit: I used Nassau as my march, probably not the best choice. Also lost some wars due to poor planning.

drat Austia unfreed citied you when you converted to Protestant? Was that the sole trigger or was it because your relations with austia wasn't that hot to begin with? I don't think there's a cheevo to track if you stayed as a free city through the whole timeline but I feel like I would have personally lost if I lost the free city status at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Also both France and the Commonwealth have surpassed the austro hungarian alliance in fighting mans. The ottomans have surpassed it a few decades ago. Truly a frightening world to be a free city in.

• Locked thread