Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Also worth mentioning that there's a deal right now to get all the Issues for $42, which I think I'm going to spring for. I haven't played at all since the F2P switch but I've heard good things and that's a ton of content for pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.
Okay, bought this game for the first time with the Steam sale ultimate pack, read some newb guides on the official forums, read the first couple pages of this thread and the last couple pages of this thread.

The goon forum seems quite dead, and enough stuff seems to have changed over time that carefully reading this whole thread would be somewhat pointless.

I will admit after seeing the OP I instantly twigged to AR/Elemental simply because leech builds are my favorite thing in MMOs.

So far, it seems that I should be min-maxing single lines on each main weapon, and dipping into various worthwhile passives on others as needed.

I'll actually wind up playing this for the first time after work tomorrow. Anyone have any advice for a fresh TSW player? I was leaning lumie before ever seeing this thread on principle. I haven't even picked a dimension yet (if that matters beyond occasional logon annoyance at all). Advise me, please!

(Edit: advice beyond the scope of the OP)

Evader fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 12, 2015

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Pathos posted:

Also worth mentioning that there's a deal right now to get all the Issues for $42, which I think I'm going to spring for. I haven't played at all since the F2P switch but I've heard good things and that's a ton of content for pretty cheap.

For anyone who liked the story and characters at launch, I definitely recommend this. I haven't done issues 10 or 11, but everything up to then kept raising the bar.

Evader posted:

I'll actually wind up playing this for the first time after work tomorrow. Anyone have any advice for a fresh TSW player? I was leaning lumie before ever seeing this thread on principle. I haven't even picked a dimension yet (if that matters beyond occasional logon annoyance at all). Advise me, please!

Pick whatever dimension. Arcadia if you habitually jump around in circles while checking your inventory, because you'll occasionally look up and be ruining an RPer's time. Otherwise, Grim- the original goon Illuminati server- so that you're on its Fusang battlegroup. If battlegroups still exist, and ever matter due to population, and if any of the goons that ever PvP'd (pretty much just hugh on Illuminati) actually pvp (not very likely), you could play with them in Fusang. (I'm Dragon, and we had three people total. Maybe four? Was Zhaan Dragon?)

I recommend AR/Shotgun as an alternative to AR/Ele. The inner wheel for Shotgun has Breaching Shot, a very good buff to Penetration that you can use almost every encounter. It also has Out for a Kill, which goes BOOM real loud when you hold the shotgun out.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Evader posted:

Okay, bought this game for the first time with the Steam sale ultimate pack, read some newb guides on the official forums, read the first couple pages of this thread and the last couple pages of this thread.

The goon forum seems quite dead, and enough stuff seems to have changed over time that carefully reading this whole thread would be somewhat pointless.

I will admit after seeing the OP I instantly twigged to AR/Elemental simply because leech builds are my favorite thing in MMOs.

So far, it seems that I should be min-maxing single lines on each main weapon, and dipping into various worthwhile passives on others as needed.

(Edit: advice beyond the scope of the OP)

Well, enjoy your leech build when you get to Tokyo!

*said the man who wasn't able to change his rotation since mid-Egypt* :negative:

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
If I get the complete edition on Steam can I add that to my stand alone version or would I need to start over?

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.

Spuzzz posted:

If I get the complete edition on Steam can I add that to my stand alone version or would I need to start over?

Looks like you can buy the ultimate edition as an upgrade on your account page for the same price.

https://register.thesecretworld.com/account

I don't know if you can add it to your stand alone version if you buy it through Steam.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

You can, you just get a code you put in on your account page and they still email the extra game key to you after

Pyrok
Jan 31, 2013
How's the game population now? I've played on and off again since launch, picked up the ultimate edition yesterday - only to run into <20 other players in a matter of 2 hours. I opened the group finder window, and there were only 12 people LFG across every dungeon shown. Personally, I love the game - I have since launch. I don't have time to play games every day anymore, but I really enjoy the story and atmosphere in TSW. However, I am slightly nervous about not being able to find a group for the dungeons (I really enjoyed doing those), will this be an issue for me?

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
Usually not much of a problem. Depending on what you're trying to run, just holler in general chat, LFG or the #noobmares channel, and people generally join up. I don't think many people bother to use the group finder tool.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I want that silver panoptic core outfit, but I'm not going to spend 42 bucks on top of grandmaster for that alone :emo:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

alfheimwanderer posted:

Usually not much of a problem. Depending on what you're trying to run, just holler in general chat, LFG or the #noobmares channel, and people generally join up. I don't think many people bother to use the group finder tool.

The group finder is pretty handy, and usually had a couple dozen people queueing (Admittedly a low number and my intel is out of date, I haven't played in a month). I got quick invites every time I tried it, although queueing for "any dungeon, normal" got me a Polaris run where I kept pulling aggro off the tank.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My work schedule just got hosed to hell again but I'm usually home by 7pm est monday-friday and I'm willing to slum normals/elites for goons.

Been slowly working my way through Tokyo but it just isn't the same without the mumble crew to shoot the poo poo with about bad content.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pathos posted:

Huh, that might get me to reinstall. How is Tokyo for solo stuff? I heard the issue content is fantastic but less about how many players you need for it. :v:

I miss my little dorky tacticool librarian lady.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

Huh, that might get me to reinstall. How is Tokyo for solo stuff? I heard the issue content is fantastic but less about how many players you need for it. :v:

I miss my little dorky tacticool librarian lady.

I've only done the first part and no side stories and it becomes a lot easier once you gotten two of each aegis. And then install the add-on to automatically switch them so you don't have to deal with the clunky bullshit system. Also you want to go to the AH and buy the accessories to burn through shields.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I needed a friend to help me with issue 11, but my build is terrible and my gear is terrible and I'm awful at TSW. And even I could solo through the rest of it (although it wasn't very fun to do so on a gameplay level :v: )

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cheers looks like I shouldn't have problems then. :)

I heard there's some sort of gear "reset" going on for Tokyo though? I was part of the cool kids 1.2k HP club when I originally stopped playing (just before the first raid encounter was put into the game I think?), so would I be replacing everything?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Do the quests that give you the AEGIS disruptors immediately. They're from the crazy dude in the tank, I think. You have to repeat one of them to get your third disruptor.

You'll then want to pick up capacitors from the auction house. You can only equip capacitors of a level up to your highest AEGIS disruptor, so the strat is to level one disruptor as high as possible and buy some capacitors. The latter will make up the brunt of your AEGIS damage.

I also found it tremendously helpful to have a speed boost in my build. Rapid Getaway, Running Circles, whatever - just something that makes you faster on your feet, and a stunbreak (say Sleight of Hand) for the CCs you're inevitably going to eat. You will eat a lot of them in Tokyo.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Still wouldn't exactly recommend going it alone if you can help it at all but it's doable. Unless you leech. Then you can get hosed.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well either way it's bought and downloading. Weirdly excited to be getting into this world again. :3:

I'll probably just play the story content and leave once more, but there we go.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That's exactly what you should do with TSW.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh, one final question, I'm guessing the faction distinction is still largely cosmetic? I was going to give myself a quick run through of the main story in the earlier zones to refresh myself and figured I'd make a new character for it, but if there's no real point in a new one...

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It changes the flavour messages you get at the end of each quest and a few in between story missions. Honestly, you can just watch the ones you missed on YouTube.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I'm planning to pop back in to do more Tokyo stuff once I finish exams in a week and a half, so I will be available to run dungeons/Tokyo then. There's a lot of lore I still need to get.

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh, one final question, I'm guessing the faction distinction is still largely cosmetic? I was going to give myself a quick run through of the main story in the earlier zones to refresh myself and figured I'd make a new character for it, but if there's no real point in a new one...
General consensus is that Illuminati get the best mission flavour text and handler, while Templar get the best faction-specific mission. Dragon get... cryptic messages and stuff, I guess.

calranthe
Jul 2, 2009
I am updating my client now, will see what the new content and story is like, I think my character just got to Tokyo when I got distracted by other games.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Zephonith posted:

General consensus is that Illuminati get the best mission flavour text and handler, while Templar get the best faction-specific mission. Dragon get... cryptic messages and stuff, I guess.

The Dragons get dumb fortune cookie responses out of their mission reports, but things change after you're done with Tokyo.

Seriously, Daimon Kyota may very well usurp Geary if the writers can keep up with lines like "I'm your dingle dangler now."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did they ever add a wearable version of the vampires' outfit by the way?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

novaSphere posted:

The Dragons get dumb fortune cookie responses out of their mission reports, but things change after you're done with Tokyo.

Seriously, Daimon Kyota may very well usurp Geary if the writers can keep up with lines like "I'm your dingle dangler now."

Honestly, the Dragon have basically been closest to the truth the entire way through. Most of their post-mission text is gibberish but every once in a while you get the one special one that cuts through the bullshit and indicates that, more than the other two factions, the Dragon understands the real nature of this universe.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Started playing this casually with my girlfriend in order to do an MMO we were both blind on

jesus christ there are a fuckload of quests

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I upgraded my base game to ultimate, so I have a spare "base game" key. PM me if you want the game

Looks like #awful is defunt, we all hanging out in #sanctuary / #noobmares now?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Exmond posted:

I upgraded my base game to ultimate, so I have a spare "base game" key. PM me if you want the game

Looks like #awful is defunt, we all hanging out in #sanctuary / #noobmares now?

When I remember I go into #sanctuary. The pubbies have mostly stopped hating me on sight now.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hehehe, got all tingly from the title menu music. :neckbeard:

If nothing else the score is fantastic.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is Issue 11 broken? Of course it would be. I'm apparently supposed to be starting Orochi Tower but none of the elevators have buttons.

***Are you loving kidding me? The elevators with doors that are open have no buttons inside of them and just sit there, and you're supposed to run up against the ones that are shut to get them to open, and they have buttons.

When has a single elevator in the entirety of this game worked that way?

****Okay, the actual tower stuff is great. Anansi: Anansi's first floor is the AEGIS team, and they geek out like crazy to have you in the building and keep thanking you for the research data. They rush to unlock doors so that you can beat up dummies in different labs for them, and all of the whiteboards have terrible names from when they were trying to figure out a name that spelled A.E.G.I.S :kimchi:

Cheston fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 15, 2015

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Cheston posted:

Is Issue 11 broken? Of course it would be. I'm apparently supposed to be starting Orochi Tower but none of the elevators have buttons.

***Are you loving kidding me? The elevators with doors that are open have no buttons inside of them and just sit there, and you're supposed to run up against the ones that are shut to get them to open, and they have buttons.

When has a single elevator in the entirety of this game worked that way?

****Okay, the actual tower stuff is great. Anansi: Anansi's first floor is the AEGIS team, and they geek out like crazy to have you in the building and keep thanking you for the research data. They rush to unlock doors so that you can beat up dummies in different labs for them, and all of the whiteboards have terrible names from when they were trying to figure out a name that spelled A.E.G.I.S :kimchi:

Yah, the tower is great for people who like to take their time and look at everything. There's lots of little tidbits to entertain explorers.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd forgotten how dry the humour could be at times. Words cannot begin to describe how utterly furious that writer in the third zone looks in his photograph with the fan.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Bought this way back in the day, loved the setting and basically everything else but the combat. News of a combat do-over has me reinstalling.

I'm guessing all the DLC/issues/whatever are all end-game stuff I won't be missing out on while leveling?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Bought this way back in the day, loved the setting and basically everything else but the combat. News of a combat do-over has me reinstalling.

I'm guessing all the DLC/issues/whatever are all end-game stuff I won't be missing out on while leveling?

The earlier issues are worked into the leveling as additional quests.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kessel posted:

The earlier issues are worked into the leveling as additional quests.

Ehhhhh. Not exactly. Freeborn might be a little rough for people new to BM. Same with parts of Cairo. Sleepless lullaby should be okay though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Kaoru's dialogue. :smith:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Ehhhhh. Not exactly. Freeborn might be a little rough for people new to BM. Same with parts of Cairo. Sleepless lullaby should be okay though.

You can tell these though since they'll have a difficulty rating well beyond the other quests available in the area. The very first couple of issues are more seamlessly integrated, like Carter Unleashed or the investigations from Issue... 2? 1? I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
So are scenarios worth it? My buddy is playing catch up and hasn't done tokyo yet so Im putting a pause on my tokyo activites. I need to do something else in the mean time and took a look at augments. While they seem like such a grind there are some nice augments out there (heal x% of your total health every time you use this ability?)

• Locked thread