Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Does the Dell XPS 15" laptop make a good gaming laptop?

Looks like it comes with the NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GT 750M 2GB GDDR5 graphics card. I don't know anything about graphics cards these days. Will that graphics card be good for a few years? News reports are saying it will be updated with 4k screen and skylake processor, but Dell website says it has the 4k screen now.

Has it already been updated or will that not happen for a few months? Is there a website that tracks Dell's product updates like mac rumors does for apple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Deadulus posted:

Looks like it comes with the NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GT 750M 2GB GDDR5 graphics card. I don't know anything about graphics cards these days. Will that graphics card be good for a few years? News reports are saying it will be updated with 4k screen and skylake processor, but Dell website says it has the 4k screen now.

Has it already been updated or will that not happen for a few months? Is there a website that tracks Dell's product updates like mac rumors does for apple?

It's a great laptop, but not for gaming. A 750m is a really really bad card.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Deadulus posted:

From what little I've been able to understand, even very good mobile GPUs will barely be able to use 4k for gaming, as the machine just doesn't have enough power for it. And the 750M is not a very good one.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

So the 4k screen actually handicaps that laptop in terms of gaming or are you saying that the 4k screen won't look any better during gaming than a non-4k screen?

What laptop would be better for gaming with then? HP Omen? I know Dell has the alienware computers but they are so ugly plus I wouldn't want to take it out in public. I travel a lot so I am looking for something I can game with on the road.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 13, 2015

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

mad_Thick posted:

I totally forgot about those. As a budget-conscious consumer, I'm really thinking about picking up one of those sorts. Right now the Zenbook is at the top of my list, but just below would be a Transformer.
Yeah, I was pretty blown away, I guess if I actually paid the full retail $400 or whatever it would merely seem like I was getting what I paid for, but either way it's been really fun for browsing and other typical use. The idea of doing full-fledged PC stuff like torrenting, keeping online backup, steam, cloud stuff/services etc. running in the background constantly, storing a lot of important data locally and generally going to the effort of making it "my" PC feels a little awkward when it's more like a thin terminal/impersonal content consumption device, but regardless I really loved it right away.

Ashrik posted:

When I was searching for a laptop that fit what I wanted, the HP Omen seemed to work pretty well. It was compact, light, metal body with pleasing aesthetics. The truth is, I just wanted something light and cool-looking that could easily fill in as my daily web/youtube browser long after its use for mediocre gaming fizzled up. If it had a 970M or 980M, it could have lasted as a mediocre gaming box just a wee bit longer. Reviews I had read put its heat and loudness within something I could deal with. I don't have any experience or knowledge about HP or its reputation, so I didn't have that to go on.
Ah ok fair enough. Well, I don't know a ton about current HP laptops and don't want to be a hater but for years I think their consumer laptops have been nearly universally poo poo on, and everyone I personally know who's bought an HP laptop has had problems with it that they really shouldn't have, generally pertaining to poor build quality it seemed. Granted that's only like four people but still that's four people too many to be having problems with dumb plasticky laptops.

Anyway, can't really help with the metal body specifically and I didn't do a ton of research into thinner laptops because that wasn't something I really needed/was willing to pay extra for but... actually I was going to name some thin gaming laptops but found this article instead and this isn't bad to start your search from:
http://gizmodo.com/the-best-thin-gaming-laptop-for-every-need-1699528863

I specifically already had the Asus G501, MSI Ghost/Stealth, and Razer Blade in mind as suggestions, and I guess there's the Alienware 13/15 too but I think the 13 is a little underpowered and the 15 is a little on the fat side, though not as fat as say my Asus G751. You pay more for each bump up in GPU to begin with, and the premium is just worse on thin laptops, so definitely consider exactly what you want to be able to play or how portable it needs to be; if you can get away with going through your indie backlog and can get something with like an 860/960M then you have a ton more options. The 965M looked pretty great too, I think it was only very recently introduced but is in between the 960/970 (duh, just that there was previously a huge difference between those two) and doesn't carry an enormous premium. Otherwise you're looking at a bare minimum of $1300ish for any 15" laptop with a 970M, and it only goes up from there if you want a 980M or a thinner laptop or whatever. If you have the money I think gaming laptops can actually be great and worth it, and can have great hardware, just that they are terrible value compared to a desktop, and very restrictive considering there are like thousands of other laptops available for $200-1000 that can do everything else just fine. I justified my ridiculous laptop based on it still needing to move, albeit only maybe once or twice a day, and considering I basically got an open box ~$2500 laptop for $1650 it was actually a decent value :v: I priced stuff out and building it as an ITX desktop wouldn't have saved me enough money to be worth the extra hassle compared to having everything in laptop form. At the same time though, my $150 2-pound Transformer would be almost as good at posting this.

Deadulus posted:

So the 4k screen actually handicaps that laptop in terms of gaming or are you saying that the 4k screen won't look any better during gaming than a non-4k screen?

What laptop would be better for gaming with then? HP Omen? I know Dell has the alienware computers but they are so ugly plus I wouldn't want to take it out in public. I travel a lot so I am looking for something I can game with on the road.
Both - there are simply no reasonable laptops right now that can power AAA games at 4K. 4K isn't a total waste for general use if you actually want it for some legitimate reason and know you won't be pissed off at Windows scaling issues etc, just that you definitely won't be playing stuff like Battlefield at 4K unless you go totally crazy and get some $4000 laptop with SLI 980Ms, and aside from that, it just doesn't really seem worth caring about at laptop screen size. A 4K display can scale flawlessly to 1080p though, so playing games at 1080p is just fine, or indie games or browser stuff etc. at 4K. Basically 4K doesn't do a gaming laptop any favors is all, and just adds to what will already be expensive. As for the rest, see above :) I think if you're concerned about aesthetics and not embarrassing yourself in front of clients and that kind of thing, and wanted a thinner laptop without spending a ton, it would definitely help if you could get away with an 860/960M, then you could simply get a Y40 or whatever.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
This is maybe an insanely naive/foolish question, in one direction or another, but how are macbooks gaming wise? I'm asking both in terms of performance, and whether they can actually run games--does one have run windows in order to do that? And is that very difficult to set up?

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Alright Goons,

My Girlfriend's Mac Book Pro 13 (Early 2011) finally ate poo poo this morning. The battery is 100% dead and although I plan to fix it (hey gently caress you Mac, $212 for a new battery?), she wants a new laptop since this one has been in heavy use for years now.

Budget: Absolute max including tax (PA, 6%) $1800, anything less is appreciated savings.
Screen 13" to 15", no need to be bulky, she was perfectly fine with her 13". A touchscreen is not necessary (it's nice, but I don't place a premium on it).
Use She uses it for heavy web browsing, Netflix steaming, ghetto games (Bejeweled, Plants vs Zombies, etc.)
OS I want to go Windows, ideally Windows 10 free upgrade when that's available.
SSD I definitely want an SSD, 256 minimum, 512+ ideal.
Case I don't want a case made out of melted plastic spoons and used zip lock bags. I am willing to pay more for nice metal/carbon,etc.
Battery This will see between 6 and 12 hours of use per day, so I need something that has noted longevity/durability, having great battery life is a huge plus.
Misc The less noise and heat it gives off the better. Ease of replacement/repair is a huge plus along with any above and beyond warranty/customer service (without paying a lot extra).

I'm not loyal to any brand or store, I want the best bang for the buck while still getting a great laptop. Ideally I want to order a laptop by next weekend. I plan to drive out to Microcenter tomorrow to look at their models so she can see them in person, maybe also look at any deals they've got going.

I will give it to Mac that their display was really nice, so ideally I would like the laptop to have a comparable display if possible, if not, as close as possible without going hog wild on spending.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How bad is the T430s 1600x900 screen? I know the t420 screens sucked, but maybe they improved them?

Also, are there any glaring issues with the x240? Are they as repairable/easy to find parts for as the T-series computers?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

The Rev posted:

I will give it to Mac that their display was really nice, so ideally I would like the laptop to have a comparable display if possible, if not, as close as possible without going hog wild on spending.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Dell XPS 13

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IuniusBrutus posted:

How bad is the T430s 1600x900 screen? I know the t420 screens sucked, but maybe they improved them?

Garbage - no improvement over the earlier ones

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Staring down two very similar Acers on Newegg. I'm looking to replace a 4-year-old HP that kind of sucked when it was new and has become prone to shutting down in heat. I'd like to use it for pretty casual games that I impulse purchase on Steam sales and Civ. I use my PS4 for big releases. Both are i5 5200U's at 2.2ghz with 8 gigs of memory and 1tb hard drives, which I might replace with an SSD or SSHD.

Contestant 1 has 1920x1080 res with Intel 5500 graphics. It also has a 6-cell battery. It's $480.

Contestant 2 only has 1368x768, but has a dedicated card with GeForce 940M. It only has a 4-cell battery, but does replace a USB 2.0 with a second 3.0 over the other model. It's $500. The description also lists this as having a "Hybrid HDD", which is a little weird. I'm assuming that's an actual Hybrid, but the specs aren't too clear on it.

Any feedback would be welcome. I haven't been shopping in a while. Also, if I matters I've got awful eyesight and kind of prefer text a little bigger.

Vice Zoomler Aestro fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 14, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Deadulus posted:

You aren't playing 4k games on any single graphics card now that isn't 980ti or Titan X. And those run $700-$1000 for the GPU alone for desktops.

A 980m is a little bit worse than a desktop 970, so about half as good as a 980ti.

Without SLI'd 980ms you are just flat out not playing games at 4k at any appreciable framerate.

Without a 965m minimum you're also not playing many games at 1080p. If I was buying a new gaming laptop that was my sole system, that'd be the minimum for me, and a 970m would be ideal.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

dissss posted:

Garbage - no improvement over the earlier ones

Kind of figured.

Are there any issues with an x240 that isn't obvious from a spec sheet? How is parts availability / durability on them? Comparable to the T-series ThinkPad?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

The Iron Rose posted:

You aren't playing 4k games on any single graphics card now that isn't 980ti or Titan X. And those run $700-$1000 for the GPU alone for desktops.
You can play older games at 4k with an 860m and have them perform fine (I have a Y50). There's mostly not much point, because the models and textures aren't designed for that, so it probably looks worse than it would at 1080 because it reveals angles and aliasing, but the hardware handles it fine.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

The Dell XPS 13 looks like the perfect laptop for me, but how is the trackpad/multi-touch gestures? I never realized how much I cared about the trackpad until I had to fix something on a friend's Toshiba work laptop.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

roomforthetuna posted:

You can play older games at 4k with an 860m and have them perform fine (I have a Y50). There's mostly not much point, because the models and textures aren't designed for that, so it probably looks worse than it would at 1080 because it reveals angles and aliasing, but the hardware handles it fine.

Sure you technically can but not at appreciable framerates. Most games that have support for 4k are also too intensive to really play at 4k on an 860m.

poo poo most games are too intensive to really play at 1080p on an 860m.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

Straker posted:

Ah ok fair enough. Well, I don't know a ton about current HP laptops and don't want to be a hater but for years I think their consumer laptops have been nearly universally poo poo on, and everyone I personally know who's bought an HP laptop has had problems with it that they really shouldn't have, generally pertaining to poor build quality it seemed. Granted that's only like four people but still that's four people too many to be having problems with dumb plasticky laptops.

Anyway, can't really help with the metal body specifically and I didn't do a ton of research into thinner laptops because that wasn't something I really needed/was willing to pay extra for but... actually I was going to name some thin gaming laptops but found this article instead and this isn't bad to start your search from:
http://gizmodo.com/the-best-thin-gaming-laptop-for-every-need-1699528863
That is actually the exact site I found, after many hours of searching, that led to me picking up the Clevo/Sager "best deal" model with the 970M. Yeah, $1300 is right around the sweet spot for me with regards to the trade offs needed to having an "affordable gaming laptop" with the illusion of being able to last for a few years.

Just about everything in the $950-$1400 range seems to be compared favorably to the Lenova Y50, except perhaps in battery life.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thinking about getting a new laptop - what kind of specs should I look for to future-proof myself for 4K Video playback?

Dr. Jamming
Apr 11, 2007

People are talking out there... and I hear it all.

Hadlock posted:

Is the one in the OP not working for you?

It wasn't. It repeatedly wouldn't let me create an account. I found another though at http://www.bradsdeals.com/stores/lenovo . The website is super janky, but the code worked.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

porfiria posted:

This is maybe an insanely naive/foolish question, in one direction or another, but how are macbooks gaming wise? I'm asking both in terms of performance, and whether they can actually run games--does one have run windows in order to do that? And is that very difficult to set up?

Do you actually need Windows?
Well, maybe. You can buy games for OSX, but there are not as many titles as there are on Windows. It's not the barren desert it used to be, but it's not great and some ports are pretty lazily done.

Performance
OSX is bad at 3D. This is supposed to improve with Metal on the next version of OSX, but of course only with more recent games that incorporate it. If you use boot camp to install Windows, it will be comparable to any other laptop with the same specs. Boot camp is fairly easy to set up.

If you want to game, Macbooks are not the best option at all. A laptop period isn't the best option at all, but hey.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
I want to change my Thinkpad t400 battery. Battery life is supposed to be 4 hours, but I only get 1.5. I think I have a 4-cell, and I want to get a 9-cell. Is there anything I should know before buying? Or do I just plug in the new one?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

eminkey2003 posted:

I want to change my Thinkpad t400 battery. Battery life is supposed to be 4 hours, but I only get 1.5. I think I have a 4-cell, and I want to get a 9-cell. Is there anything I should know before buying? Or do I just plug in the new one?

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T400-7417-Battery/dp/B003BQ7UOE

Looks like plug and play

edit: I'd prabably get a new charger with it, too

http://www.amazon.com/Notebook-Batt...D65D66545F3B7D7

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
What's the best way to find the value of my 2008 Macbook? Is there a website that it reliable?

Late 2008 MacBook
13"
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
OS X 10.8.3
240 GB Solid State SATA

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

AzCoug posted:

What's the best way to find the value of my 2008 Macbook? Is there a website that it reliable?

http://www.mac2sell.net and plug your specs in

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Thanks

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I'm looking for something to replace my aged, dying Gateway notebook from years ago, and I'm having trouble sorting through the massive number of options out there.

I have an idea of what I want - near desktop performance, at least 128GB SSD (more is better), at least 4GB memory (again more is better), touch screen 10"~14" size, at least 8hrs battery life, Windows OS.
I'd like it to be convertible for use in a tablet mode. Stylus is a plus.
Does not need to be able to play demanding games, integrated graphics is fine.

Price isn't an issue - I'd rather spend more on something I want than less on something that doesn't meet my needs.

Any goon recommendations? I know the above still leaves a pretty broad list. I'm looking specifically for things known to be good performers in their price range, solid construction, etc.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 14, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

eminkey2003 posted:

You just plug in the new one. Personally I'd order one straight from Lenovo via their website.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AzCoug posted:

Late 2008 MacBook
13"
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
OS X 10.8.3
240 GB Solid State SATA

How's the battery? Put in up in SA Mart

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

eminkey2003 posted:

The only thing to pay attention to is the source of the battery. You can trust official Lenovo ones, but third party ones are hit and (mostly) miss. You run the chance of not actually getting the capacity you wanted (a 4 cell masquerading as a 9) and possibly a poorly made battery that can ignite.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The Lenovo ones will also have higher advertised Wh lifetimes per volume -- and hit those.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

How's the battery? Put in up in SA Mart

It's great when it's plugged in.

Otherwise it probably needs to be replaced. Trying to get an idea of what it's worth before I put it up. $300?

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014

Straker posted:

Yeah, I was pretty blown away, I guess if I actually paid the full retail $400 or whatever it would merely seem like I was getting what I paid for, but either way it's been really fun for browsing and other typical use. The idea of doing full-fledged PC stuff like torrenting, keeping online backup, steam, cloud stuff/services etc. running in the background constantly, storing a lot of important data locally and generally going to the effort of making it "my" PC feels a little awkward when it's more like a thin terminal/impersonal content consumption device, but regardless I really loved it right away.

I'm thinking about getting this Asus Transformer:

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T...ransformer+Book

There seems to be a ton of different ones on Amazon for some wacky prices. This one seems like the best for the price.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AzCoug posted:

It's great when it's plugged in.

Otherwise it probably needs to be replaced. Trying to get an idea of what it's worth before I put it up. $300?

Ebay is a pretty reliable indicator, and it's looking like $250-350 depending on options, condition, extras, shipping, etc.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mad_Thick posted:

I'm thinking about getting this Asus Transformer:

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T...ransformer+Book

There seems to be a ton of different ones on Amazon for some wacky prices. This one seems like the best for the price.

I've used the T100A a bit because a business I do work for bought a bunch of them for folks to look at pdfs on. The touch screen is good, the touchpad is bad. It runs normal stuff decently but when you do things like windows updates they take forever, probably because of the 2gb of RAM. Hopefully Windows 10 is well supported on them. You get one USB port while the keyboard is attached and it's got a micro-hdmi port for video output. So it could be better but it could definitely be a lot worse. The fact that it comes with Windows and Office helps a lot.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

Tykero posted:

I'm looking for something to replace my aged, dying Gateway notebook from years ago, and I'm having trouble sorting through the massive number of options out there.

I have an idea of what I want - near desktop performance, at least 128GB SSD (more is better), at least 4GB memory (again more is better), touch screen 10"~14" size, at least 8hrs battery life, Windows OS.
I'd like it to be convertible for use in a tablet mode. Stylus is a plus.
Does not need to be able to play demanding games, integrated graphics is fine.

Price isn't an issue - I'd rather spend more on something I want than less on something that doesn't meet my needs.

Any goon recommendations? I know the above still leaves a pretty broad list. I'm looking specifically for things known to be good performers in their price range, solid construction, etc.

The Surface Pro 3 might be right up your alley

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Ashrik posted:

The Surface Pro 3 might be right up your alley

The Surface Pro 3 looks great, but I feel like it's too far on the tablet side of things. I walked into a Best Buy the other day specifically to hold one in my hands and I just didn't care for it. I don't like the keyboard attachments they offer, the lack of physical ports, and the thermal issues. It's something I'll be revisiting until I make a decision, though. It's still a pretty solid device.

While typing this I got distracted and found the Acer Aspire R13 and I have to admit it's really appealing. It feels like exactly what I'm looking for.
Reviews seems warm but not glowing. It's hard to put it out of my mind, though. That hinge design is perfect for the use case I'm envisioning. I love that it doesn't leave the keyboard facing down like most other convertible ultrabooks.
Problem is it's not available in any brick and mortar locations, so I can't try it in person before I buy it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

One of our vendors issued surface pro 3's to everyone in their team who travels regularly and they seem to really, really like them. They seem to have standardized on the soft touch fuzzy keyboards and seem really effective.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Is it worth having a gaming laptop if I'm not planning on using it for gaming? My Asus finally poo poo the bed (screen's been falling apart for months) and I ordered a Lenovo Y50-70 because I had some money lying around. If I have to use it for games to justify the purchase, I'm fine with that, but I'd like to think it was money well spend regardless.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Trying to decide between a Macbook Air and a Macbook Air Retina.

- Retina is $100 more
- Non-Retina has a 13" monitor vs 12"
- Retina has a Retina Display
- Retina has 8GB RAM vs 4GB.

Anybody have something to say about the last bullet in particular? How much of a difference is that extra RAM going to make, now and down the road? Photoshop, iMovie, and Excel (using large spreadsheets) are the most intensive programs I'm likely to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alvarez IV posted:

Is it worth having a gaming laptop if I'm not planning on using it for gaming? My Asus finally poo poo the bed (screen's been falling apart for months) and I ordered a Lenovo Y50-70 because I had some money lying around. If I have to use it for games to justify the purchase, I'm fine with that, but I'd like to think it was money well spend regardless.

You're giving up a lot of portability and paying extra for the GPU. The modern HD4500/HD4600 etc intel integrated graphics are Good Enough for most middle-tier steam games these days. You could probably get away with a base model XPS 13 which is higher quality, better battery life and better screen while also being smaller.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Trying to decide between a Macbook Air and a Macbook Air Retina.

- Retina is $100 more
- Non-Retina has a 13" monitor vs 12"
- Retina has a Retina Display
- Retina has 8GB RAM vs 4GB.

Anybody have something to say about the last bullet in particular? How much of a difference is that extra RAM going to make, now and down the road? Photoshop, iMovie, and Excel (using large spreadsheets) are the most intensive programs I'm likely to use.

8GB isn't absolutely required today, but you'll feel it in a few years, especially if you're a browser tab addict. 8GB is quickly becoming the new standard, and you can't upgrade it on a Mac laptop so it's worth the extra expense.

If the price difference is only $100 for you, I would go with the Retina model, it has a vastly longer battery life, better track pad, and the display is lightyears ahead of the non-Retina.