Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Hellsau posted:

That's pretty brutal. Also goddamn does this campaign punish the living gently caress out of poo poo clans who don't win three nights in a row - 2500th place is 12000 fame, and we just had three battles that were worth 65000 fame each. That's bananas.
It also punishes clans that got assigned target provinces in the middle of nowhere with very few adjacent provinces. We haven't had any real battles for our target provinces--all techs. The only half-decent multipliers we've gotten were when we were fighting clans on their target provinces, and even then, it's only 5x.

It's okay, we'll be on Swabia so I guess we'll catch up. But I'll be gone tomorrow night so I'll miss the first night of good points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

demonR6 posted:

Hello, Wargaming..

'Dmitry, let's come up with a campaign that will give a lovely tank reward and start infighting within the clan!'

To be fair this is every campaign. This one just has an extra touch of 'gently caress you' in the form of the 'also rans' getting the privilege to *buy* the tank for 12k, which invariably will lead to MORE infighting when they ask for gold subsidies from the clan to make up for not getting picked to be in the Top 1000.

Just running the numbers, if you assume the top clans get 40-60 people per night, it means ~20 clans will dominate the 'got it for free' slots. It'd be different if you had longer than July 15th to purchase the tank, but such a narrow window suggests Wargaming just wants healthy earnings in early Q3. They're also probably 'soak testing' this system for the next true CW campaign, where an 'elite' T10 costs 25k. If you're forcing the bulk of your players to cough up 50 bucks in in-game currency, it's not a big step to make them cough up a full 100.

Also, just because you get 60000+ FP one day doesn't mean you're locked. Never underestimate the machinations of goal-posters.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 13, 2015

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

http://wotreplays.com/site/1949552#sacred_valley-axetrain-t-34-85_rudy

Rudy is my favorite tank now, fits like a glove and incredibly easy to use. Haven't been playing much recently though I might be getting worn out.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ace Tanker in a 13 90 isn't enough to carry.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Your arti did 0 damage, enemy arti did 3500. Nice game mechanic.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I have never seen a night of tanks as awful as this evening. High tier teams willfully leaving the hill on Redshire with no tanks. Pubbies ignoring the actual runway on Airfield. Team after team after team of sub 45% WR top tier pubbies. What in the actual gently caress. You can't even CHAI snipe because everyone dies so fast it is impossible to do more than 1k damage.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
So here's a game I had earlier.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Your arti did 0 damage, enemy arti did 3500. Nice game mechanic.

I think my arty got killed like 2 minutes in by 2 lights rushing our base.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If you have accelerated crew training on do you still get the 5% xp to free xp?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

If you have accelerated crew training on do you still get the 5% xp to free xp?

Yes. You just don't stockpile the convertible stuff.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

And another Radley's.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1949718#el_halluf-axetrain-cromwell_b

Cromwell B is pretty good too. :cool:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

The Southern Dandy posted:

I just lost 15lbs, due to swimming and tapering off my booze a bit, but I'd put it all back on to eat one of those in one shot.

What's diabetes?

They're just as loving glorious as they look and sound and I am well known to destroy them whole if given the chance. As a result my family make sure to get theirs in before I realise they've made one.

e: I'm still super bummed that they never ended up adding the T-44-85. That thing owned.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 13, 2015

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

I want to show up for clan fights for the campaign but I can only show 3 times a week. One of the callers said "sorry, but if you can't attend every night you can potentially be preventing someone who is attending every night from getting the tank."

This campaign is SO loving stupid that it is making me angry. I never get angry when it comes to poo poo like this. I just want to do some fights but get told I should not offer to join because I am :siren:COMPETING DIRECTLY WITH MY CLANMATES:siren:. This campaign is putting the leaders of the clan and the callers in such a lovely position, like seriously what the gently caress were they thinking?

Edit: Not mad at clan/callers, it is the stupid loving rules of the campaign.

Sorry Mesa, I'm doing my best :smith:
Developing an ulcer trying to get the most battles for Otter.

Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 13, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Vorkosigan posted:

Sorry Mesa, I'm doing my best :smith:
Developing an ulcer trying to get the most battles for Otter.

<3

It is an ugly campaign. I cannot be mad. I just want to do my part to help everyone get a tank :unsmith:. I know it is hard for you guys at the top, it is like this campaign was designed to cause inclan fighting.

Edit: Also, holy poo poo at Pingu crushing it.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 13, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

<3

It is an ugly campaign. I cannot be mad. I just want to do my part to help everyone get a tank :unsmith:. I know it is hard for you guys at the top, it is like this campaign was designed to cause inclan fighting.

Edit: Also, holy poo poo at Pingu crushing it.

We got lucky is all - seriously getting 195k player for just the landing tournament for our third mission and not having any real competition on it is ridiculous. For the owner battle on our mission target, we had six dudes not load in - two of those managed to restart and get in, while four never loaded in. The enemy team had some number of people fail to load in at the start, but only one of them never got in. We still crushed them 11v14.

I'm almost certain that if OTTER just gets into a juicy landing tournament, you can put people with no fame like Mesa into three fights with big multipliers and get them the tank. I'm not seeing the scrub clans getting anywhere near the crazy multipliers that clans who win out several days in a row can get.

Check out PINGU's fame spread. People who were on last night have insane fame numbers compared to the rest of the server, simply because we had so many x75 battles. It seems reasonable enough that if OTTER lucks into a long landing tournament with a high multiplier they'll be able to get enough fame to go around. Of course if y'all keep losing to CHAI you might not get enough licenses - fortunately I'm sure OTTER has plenty of clan gold stockpiled :woop:

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Hellsau posted:

I'm sure OTTER has plenty of clan gold stockpiled

wow too soon

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Salean posted:

wow too soon

He is not kidding, we resupplied pretty quick.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I'm almost certain that if OTTER just gets into a juicy landing tournament, you can put people with no fame like Mesa into three fights with big multipliers and get them the tank. I'm not seeing the scrub clans getting anywhere near the crazy multipliers that clans who win out several days in a row can get.

Except that we didn't get our mission last night, so we're missing out on tonight's LZ bonanza. :arghfist: CHAI

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

He is not kidding, we resupplied pretty quick.

Hey, can I get the password to access the treasury real quick?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
How the Red Army Learned to Fight: Tragic '41

Paradoxically, the Red Army fought many wars by the summer of 1941, but none of them serious. Enemies of the USSR in small wars of the 1930s had little in the way of modern tanks, aircraft, and often could not offer significant resistance. All types of forces, including armoured, had a very small percentage of commanders who had experience against a strong and well equipped enemy. Germany invaded the USSR with the idea that it was going to be a breeze, but there's a reason why there's a collection of German memoirs about 1941 called "Wooden Crosses instead of Iron".

Calm before the storm

It would not be proper to say that the Red Army tank forces lived in the past and the commanders had no idea, at least approximately, what the next war would be like. Books and articles written by Soviet military theorists talked about the importance of massed uses of tanks, with mandatory tight cooperation with infantry, motorized infantry, artillery, and aircraft. Armoured forces were not just for penetrating enemy defenses, but for deep operations in the enemy rear, against his headquarters, reserves, and communications. In defensive operations, tanks were supposed to isolate enemy forces that broke through and destroy them with ambushes or counterattacks.

Spain, Khalkin-Gol, and Finland showed that new tanks must be well armoured, well armed, and have reliable communication and supporting vehicles. Factories received many orders from the military for powerful radios, fast tractors, and various armoured transports.

Here is where the bottleneck was. The USSR could not magically produce tens of new factories. No country in the world could. When WWII began in 1939, even Great Britain and the United States ran into problems with supplying their growing armies with modern equipment and vehicles. It took time to mobilize factories for war.

Nobody knew how much time there was. The world was getting ready for a large war that could start in a month or in ten years. This caused problems with technological deficiency, shortage of manpower, and other difficulties of early war.

Weakness in armour

All problems with Soviet armoured forces remorselessly showed themselves in the first battles.

It was difficult to find the advancing enemy along the enormous fronts. The Germans did not march in an unbroken line, they collected their forces into fists and decided where to strike. Even if scouts could discover these forces, they frequently could not inform their commanders in time. There were too few tanks with sufficiently powerful radios. Due to this problem with communication, commanders could not react in time.

The difficulty in using any armoured unit lies in the fact that you don't need to just transport your tanks. You need to deliver fuel, ammunition, supporting infantry and artillery. There was a catastrophic lack of transport vehicles, and STZ-5 agricultural tractors, the backbone of the support forces, were weak and slow. Two or three such vehicles were required in order to tow one heavy gun or howitzer.

Even if the commander decided to use only tanks, this did not solve his problems. Old vehicles, T-26, T-28, BT, were worn out and prone to breakdowns. New KVs and T-34s suffered from growing pains like unreliable engines and poor visibility. By the start of the war, no instruction manuals have been produced for these vehicles. Considering that most drivers had miserly experience in driving these new heavier and more complicated tanks, it is not difficult to imagine why many were lost due to technical reasons.

Endure, withstand, prepare

At first, the Red Army had to fight by Germany's rules. In these difficult conditions, the Soviet people protected their motherland as well as they could.

Tanks that were supposed to fight in large groups were separated into small units or even down to individual vehicles, like in Spain. Often, they had to compensate for the rest of the army. Tankers performed reconnaissance, attacked without infantry cover, became the rebar of defensive lines, guarded headquarters.

Due to a lack of support, Soviet tanks quickly became targets for German AT guns, which were difficult targets to find and suppress. Sadly, the times when KV tanks were invulnerable were long gone. The Germans managed to gather experience in fighting these heavily armoured vehicles.

It happened that tanks penetrated as deep as German headquarters, but tanks alone could not cement that victory. The Germans, with combined forces groups composed of tanks, infantry, and artillery, encircled Soviet forces and deflected their attempts to break out. Any tank that was knocked out was a permanent loss, since the Germans controlled the battlefield.

Taking heavy losses in vehicles, the Red Army moved from mechanized corps to smaller tank and mechanized divisions. Instead of 375 tanks, these divisions had 215. Further restructuring went down to independent battalions and brigades of 53 tanks, in no small part because it was easier to command a smaller unit.

First bricks in the building of victory

Slowly but surely, the tank forces regained their footing after that first punch. The Germans felt this already in the fall of 1941.

One of the most famous and most successful tank brigades in 1941 was Mikhail Yefremovich Katukov's 4th Tank Brigade. It was fairly well armed: more than half of the tanks were new T-34s and KVs, but most importantly, its tankers received bitter experience in the summer of 1941, and that experience was well learned.

In early October, Katukov's men deflected the attacks of the German 2nd Tank Group at Mtsensk. Tankers of the 4th Brigade carefully performed reconnaissance and coordinated their actions not only with infantry and artillery, but with aviation. Tanks had special defensive lines prepared, and were carefully camouflaged. The result was noticeable: the Germans lost not only tanks at Mtsensk, but AA guns and howitzers, a rarity for the time.

The tone of German reports changed around this time. Guderian, who did not notice new T-34 and KV tanks in the summer, suddenly started complaining about their "complete supremacy", while the German offensive in this sector stalled. For its skilful and courageous actions, Katukov's tank brigade was the first to earn the status of Guards.

The experience earned in 1941 was bought at a high price, but was summarized in orders and instructions, and spread among surviving tankers and new replacements. Victory was still far away. New battles lay ahead.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Missing Name posted:

Hey, can I get the password to access the treasury real quick?

You seem legit, sure thing!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Anyone know what this reload exploit is all about in Armored Warfare?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Finished the A-44 this morning. Pretty happy to be done with it. Quite a frustrating tank at times, but when RNG smiled on you that 107 was brilliant. OBJ seems to be the same idea except a more deadly gun which will be cool when I can afford it. And with the A-44 gone I had credits to buy the Chi Ri. 3 games in I can already tell it's going to be a massive money pit.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Hellsau posted:

We got lucky is all - seriously getting 195k player for just the landing tournament for our third mission and not having any real competition on it is ridiculous. For the owner battle on our mission target, we had six dudes not load in - two of those managed to restart and get in, while four never loaded in. The enemy team had some number of people fail to load in at the start, but only one of them never got in. We still crushed them 11v14.

Check out PINGU's fame spread. People who were on last night have insane fame numbers compared to the rest of the server, simply because we had so many x75 battles. It seems reasonable enough that if OTTER lucks into a long landing tournament with a high multiplier they'll be able to get enough fame to go around. Of course if y'all keep losing to CHAI you might not get enough licenses - fortunately I'm sure OTTER has plenty of clan gold stockpiled :woop:

Do we really only have 40 people going for the tank? I know our attendance is poo poo, but I didn't know if was that bad.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

JohnGalt posted:

Do we really only have 40 people going for the tank? I know our attendance is poo poo, but I didn't know if was that bad.

lol only 40 he says

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I still find the clan name to be funny. Was it a Hispanic that came up with it or at least someone who understands the language?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

JohnGalt posted:

We have a few more that haven't been in battles (because no one is putting Knispel in) and we're not leaving out anyone who wants the tank. We have a few dudes (maybe around ten) who are just choosing to sit out. The rest are BULBA/CHAI/PANSY sockpuppet accounts, depending on who we're playing against.

demonR6 posted:

I still find the clan name to be funny. Was it a Hispanic that came up with it or at least someone who understands the language?

Most of the leadership are french canadians, with some random russians or brasilians in the ranks. It's all very multicultural. PINGU is some sort of clan penguin from poor people's entertainment as far as I can tell.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 14, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
That's funny, well.. pingu is Cuban slang for dick. It can also mean brave hearted so if you tell someone they are pingu it means they have some loving balls on them.

Other Spanish-speaking cultures have similar interpretations but yeah, in essence I would take that PINGU means ballsy.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
From the icon it's probably more related to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingu

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I like the idea of calling any clan Hellsau is in dickheads. ;)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

http://wotblitz.com/en/news/pc-browser/news/platoon-system-changes/

This is for WoT Blitz, but you'd think if they could figure out how to implement limited platoon spread in that game they could've figured out how to do it in WoT first. :rolleyes: :jerkbag:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pretty good game if you think being bad at tanks is good. Rammed some poo poo, shot some tracks, couldn't look down,got a free kill, but it was all worth it by the end.

I tried to zip down the time it takes to watch the video, so enjoy.

I don't know what this guy's problem is: http://worldoftanks.com/community/accounts/1000914628-GAS59/

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So typing in allchat in clan wars before the enemy team members load into the battle causes those players who haven't loaded in to never load in. Funny bug you got there Wargaming.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hellsau posted:

So typing in allchat in clan wars before the enemy team members load into the battle causes those players who haven't loaded in to never load in. Funny bug you got there Wargaming.

Finally, we learn why Shanky was perma-gagged.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
This is me after playing max damage games today:

I need a blessin'!

http://www.fox8live.com/story/29269176/jpd-officer-injured-in-crash-to-be-released-from-hospital?clienttype=generic

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Which equipment for an AMX 50 120?
Vertstab, GLD, vents? Or optics?

Also I rebought my Ferdie after rageselling it a year ago. Now it is actually fun, especially if you face tier8 pref tanks.
Part of it is probably due to me having played the VK4502B and learned to handle a rearmounted gun better and also having learned the quirks of the short 128. Well and putting my E-25 crew in it.
This was a sweet game on Stalingrad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mokb1AqVLG8
Sweet ammorack at 4.30.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Doesn't seem like optics would be that useful, you should be hiding behind everyone else anyway

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hellsau posted:

Get me a clan slot I will buy a PCI express SSD for this.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

That's the dumbest bug I've heard of in a long time. loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Get me a clan slot I will buy a PCI express SSD for this.

What really? Sign up for PINGU if you want a lovely clan that I'm going to kill but will get you a tank if you can get in really fast somehow. Just don't mention me.

e:

thanks wargaming i feel invited.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 14, 2015