Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KataraniSword posted:

You'd be surprised how many people seem to just reflexively believe that rod-snapping is a form of "cheating" or exploit and don't think their run should count if they do it. People are weird.

(Technically, don't Red Mages get staffs, too? That should make it so you can snap Judgement Staffs on W2 Exdeath's face, too. That's gotta be worth something.)

They do, and that's how Sulla got past W2 Exdeath on his solo RDM run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
It's definitely a great way to deal damage in that fight, as long as you don't mind farming for them.

Especially for a White Mage. :unsmigghh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Edward_Tohr posted:

It's definitely a great way to deal damage in that fight, as long as you don't mind farming for them.

Especially for a White Mage. :unsmigghh:

I may actually use them for Walter's run in Mega64's thread.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, I've got no moral problem with rod breaking (seriously, :wtc:), I just forgot it existed :downs:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

worst setup i can think of is monk/berserker/geomancer/dragoon. monk's garbage and a strong contender for worst class in the game. thief's the only other contender for the slot here and it just gives so much QoL help that i can't put it below monk. red mage almost ended up in the water slot but dual cast is at least ok, lots of bosses have status weaknesses that red mage can exploit and you can sling elixirs or something with them. berserker's really good at single target damage if you roll well on damage (axes are such a bad weapon category) but you still can't control them which is a cripping flaw. geomancer IMO is the worst class in the game, the only useful ability is gaia and it falls off almost completely by endgame. dragoon an dancer are about on par with each other, dragoon gets consistent numbers and a much better equipment list outside of ribbons but dancer gets equip ribbon and sword damce. reason i go with dragoon here is that dancer synergizes pretty well with berserker and dragoon doesn't synergize well with anyone other than mayb casters. as uis this team has next to no synergy, two of the worst classes in the game and outside of dragoon extremely inconsistent damage

imo the second worst setup is monk/red mage/geomancer/dancer. monk and geomancer still suck, red mage is garbage without a full caster to dualcast with and doesn't synergize with any other class. dancer gives equip ribbon which is going to be the best cros-class for everyone (which sucks because you have to grind over 3000 ap to gt it on evrreyone) but this mewans that your only decent damage past about halfway through world 2 is sword dance. the reason i'm not putting dragoon here is that this team's hurting hard for consistent damage once barehand falls off and say what you will about dragoon they can at least put up decent numbers. as is this team has zero consistency in damage in the back half of the game, takes damage like wet dogshit, and has no useful cross-class skills aside from equip ribbon (dualcast is OK but you only really need one to two people with it and dancer and monk's magic is so low that i'd rather have ribbons on them)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Yeah, a lot of classes can be made salvageable with the right secondary skill. For instance, Knight or Ninja would improve Berserker, Dragoon, and Dancer; all three benefit from Ninja's Dual-Wield (this skill benefits drat near every physical class, really), Berserker can get some mileage out of Two-Handed (spears can't be used with both hands for some incredibly odd reason) while fragile little Dancer gains some protection (which they desperately need if you're running them in the front row) with Equip Shields.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh, I've got no moral problem with rod breaking (seriously, :wtc:), I just forgot it existed :downs:

It's a very specific D&Dism that a bunch of 80s games picked up and Square copied here.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

dis astranagant posted:

It's a very specific D&Dism that a bunch of 80s games picked up and Square copied here.

:wtc: at people thinking it's cheating, not at it's existence. Or am I completely misreading you?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

:wtc: at people thinking it's cheating, not at it's existence. Or am I completely misreading you?

No, I'm misreading you. Though I wouldn't be surprised if a tiny part of the moral panic comes from the D&D version being more or less suicidal.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think most people just think it's "cheesy," like using Vanish+Doom to kill bosses in FF6. It's an extremely powerful and extremely easy tactic that takes no finesse. But gently caress that, I'll break me some rods on Sol Cannon because gently caress that guy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I save rod breaking for Sol Cannon and Liquid Flame. But yeah, no guilt for those two.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

It's an extremely powerful and extremely easy tactic that takes no finesse.

In a game that has Chemist and Blue Mage. :laffo:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That reminds me of the horrid Freelancer Only Challenge "Guide" up on Gamefaqs which is pretty much all "Break Rods"

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

so every berserker risk is getting a berserker now, eh

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Fungah! posted:

dancer and monk's magic is so low that i'd rather have ribbons on them)

!Dualcast passes on Red Mage level Magic. It's only a base of 32, so not incredible, but it's not using the 1/19 of the Monk/Dancer at all.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Zyla posted:

Yes. I want them all to get at least one.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

InfernoBlade posted:

Yes. I want them all to get at least one.

thank you this is my first

and i took the risk!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

InfernoBlade posted:

Consider the tree well-watered. Oh and I'm going to get my employer to match that.

Gott im Himmel

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zyla posted:

At current we have 611 Berserkers to 480 Riskers, or 127% saturation of Berserkers. 131 Riskers playing on Random or Chaos will get an extra one. :getin:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Trasson posted:

!Dualcast passes on Red Mage level Magic. It's only a base of 32, so not incredible, but it's not using the 1/19 of the Monk/Dancer at all.

huh, didn't think it did. still doesn't change much though, i'd rather have ribbons than dualcast on monk. i guess dancer might as well get it too because it's the only decent ability in that group that it doesn't have innately

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

At current we have 611 Berserkers to 480 Riskers, or 127% saturation of Berserkers. 131 Riskers playing on Random or Chaos will get an extra one. :getin:

:circlefap:

JibberJabberwocky
Mar 24, 2012

InfernoBlade posted:

Consider the tree well-watered. Oh and I'm going to get my employer to match that.

You should alert RK directly - http://www.reddit.com/r/ff5fjf/. The subreddit is official - and RK is http://www.reddit.com/user/erickoziol on there. If you can point to the 2500 as explicitly from employer matching, I'd hope RK would be willing to add 250 extra berserkers on your behalf and make this a fiesta to weep over/remember.

Full disclosure I am Chaos Berserkerrisk and will /not/ be job fairing any number of berserkers I may end up with. I will go to the end.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

So, just to make sure I understand how this works, a Normal run with risk simply guarantees Berserker in the Water Crystal slot?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pieuvre posted:

So, just to make sure I understand how this works, a Normal run with risk simply guarantees Berserker in the Water Crystal slot?

Correct. I'm pretty sure you need to be RandomRisk to get multiples.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Correct. I'm pretty sure you need to be RandomRisk to get multiples.

Sweet, thanks. So I'm not completely boned my first time out.

... possibly.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm still stoked for my chaosberserkerrisk run. Now to hope that somehow i end up with like 2 berserkers.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

JibberJabberwocky posted:

You should alert RK directly - http://www.reddit.com/r/ff5fjf/. The subreddit is official - and RK is http://www.reddit.com/user/erickoziol on there. If you can point to the 2500 as explicitly from employer matching, I'd hope RK would be willing to add 250 extra berserkers on your behalf and make this a fiesta to weep over/remember.

Full disclosure I am Chaos Berserkerrisk and will /not/ be job fairing any number of berserkers I may end up with. I will go to the end.

I alerted him to it when I made the donation. The match won't be immediate though, they tend to do it when they feel like, so it's just easier to not try and rock the boat on getting the extra berserkers.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Is there a way to check our registration for the paranoid among us?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php

Look for your name on this list.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

InfernoBlade posted:

holky gently caress

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm still stoked for my chaosberserkerrisk run. Now to hope that somehow i end up with like 2 berserkers.

At this rate I'm pretty sure you're gonna get all the hot hot berserker action you can stand.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

InfernoBlade posted:

Well... So there'll be a lot of 3 berserkers out there... I wonder if I'll be so blessed cursed blessed.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
How do you get past the magic side of the fork tower without having any magic abilities? I'm struggling to sort out how to win even basic encounters on that side.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It depends on your party set up, but you can always run.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

DyneAvenger posted:

How do you get past the magic side of the fork tower without having any magic abilities? I'm struggling to sort out how to win even basic encounters on that side.

Wear a reflect ring, pray, and wait.

Run from regular fights.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

It depends on your party set up, but you can always run.

Technically, but Fork Tower randoms are really hard to escape from without !flee/!smoke/teleport.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
I actually got lucky enough to get to the bosses but now I'm looking at a dragoon and a ranger with one reflect ring on this boss. He's got a regen going so his weak blizzard and fire spells are doing nothing when reflected, it's basically a stalemate.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Omniscient'll run out of MP eventually. I think if you use an Ether it overflows down to 9999 instead of the insane amount he starts with.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dragonatrix posted:

Omniscient'll run out of MP eventually. I think if you use an Ether it overflows down to 9999 instead of the insane amount he starts with.

As long as he's silenced first, otherwise he counters being Ethered with Reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

DyneAvenger posted:

I actually got lucky enough to get to the bosses but now I'm looking at a dragoon and a ranger with one reflect ring on this boss. He's got a regen going so his weak blizzard and fire spells are doing nothing when reflected, it's basically a stalemate.

Two reflect rings and a mage masher.

Have the guy with mage masher hit themselves, if silence procs it'll reflect onto him and give you a window to attack once with the other character.

repeat until you win

• Locked thread