Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I really liked today's update of Twig - it feels like Wildbow at his best - action, but not too much blandly described fighting, action with character interaction, with motivation, with worldbuilding, with strong plotting. I'm loving Twig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Don't forget Sy loving with people. He is very good at that.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I gave up on Twig at about 2.2, catching up now and seeing what my $10 a month is paying for!

It's paying for awesome. :suspense:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 30, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
What didn't you like about it?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I guess it just seemed a little slow after Pact, and I followed Pact all the way through chapter by chapter, I think I just needed a break.

Almost caught up now and confirming that it is Good.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

I guess it just seemed a little slow after Pact, and I followed Pact all the way through chapter by chapter, I think I just needed a break.

Almost caught up now and confirming that it is Good.

Everything is a little slow after Pact.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mary is really stealing the show in this arc, and I'm not sure I could be happier with that.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

I really hope that we don't lose one of the Lambs this early.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

devildragon777 posted:

I really hope that we don't lose one of the Lambs this early.
Don't worry, they'll make new ones :unsmigghh:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Daaaaaamn that's a good update.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

This story is getting really good. I didn't *mind* the crazy pacing in Pact per se but I am definitely enjoying Twig more. The Lambs are all amazing and the prospect of seeing how they progress and move into the wider world of the Crown is enthralling.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The more considered pace gives the story more time to feel clever. Also, I really like Sy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm loving this so much; probably more than the equivalent point in Worm I think. The world is a lot more unique, and it feels a lot bigger somehow than Worm does even now - possibly because Worm is both Our World and a fairly standard Superhero World, where as this is clearly a VERY alternate history.

Also, I think my favourite bit of this was the casual mention of the beast under Radham, as if that's a standard thing all the Academies have, and the casual mention of the chemical they put in the rain as a failsafe for Academy projects. Because it worked so well for Jurassic Park...

And yeah, Sy is The Best.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

And yeah, Sy is The Best.
He's also BSing himself if he doesn't think he has a thing for Mary. :colbert:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

But girls are icky also he is nine.

E: thinking about it, I think one of the best things about Twig so far is that Wildbow has avoided a problem I now seem to recall being quite prevalent in Pact - the 'as you know' or 'just so you know' type conversation - in Pact, a lot of these world details were explained in exposition, usually by Rose, and it got kinda boring - Twig is doing much better on 'show don't tell' here - it shows the loving terrifying security measures that are habitual and ingrained into the Academy by them being side-points, like the beast, or the rain, or gorger casually chowing down on sub rosa.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 13, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I thought he was twelve. How old is everyone again?

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 14, 2015

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
He literally said his age in the last chapter good god people.

He's eleven.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

thespaceinvader posted:

But girls are icky also he is nine.

E: thinking about it, I think one of the best things about Twig so far is that Wildbow has avoided a problem I now seem to recall being quite prevalent in Pact - the 'as you know' or 'just so you know' type conversation - in Pact, a lot of these world details were explained in exposition, usually by Rose, and it got kinda boring - Twig is doing much better on 'show don't tell' here - it shows the loving terrifying security measures that are habitual and ingrained into the Academy by them being side-points, like the beast, or the rain, or gorger casually chowing down on sub rosa.

Gorger is the friendliest and most adorable bioengineered murder monster. :3:

I really do like how he's basically buddies / friendly coworkers with the Lambs.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
So I know this is the thread for serial readers, but do any serial writers post at all?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Man, I reread Worm recently, and as much as I enjoyed everything up to and including Skitter killing Alexandria, I didn't really like her time as an actual hero. I felt that part of her journey was underdeveloped. That said, I do like how he takes advantage of the less-visual medium to include powers that I can't see working nearly as well in comic book or television/film form.

I agree that Pact needed time to breathe, and I'm liking Twig, but I guess I'm just a massive cape nerd, because I'm not as huge on Sy right away like I was with Taylor. He's been growing on me, it's just been a slower process.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Oh man, I'm looking forward to the next arc. Seems like the lamb's next target is pretty heavily based on the woman from the Boil sample story, if not the same woman? I'll have to go back and re-read that.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Amazing interlude. I'm really hoping Genevieve manages to convince the Lambs to join her somehow. The more cartoonishly evil the Crown/Academy is shown to be, the less cool I am with the protagonists doing their dirty work. My prediction is that Genevieve will escape somehow, but not before sowing some doubts in the Lambs' loyalty.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
As an aside, it looks like Wildbow took the post-worm previews down from his blog, but they're still archived on archive.org. Is it kosher to post links to content that the creator has since removed?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Coca Koala posted:

Oh man, I'm looking forward to the next arc. Seems like the lamb's next target is pretty heavily based on the woman from the Boil sample story, if not the same woman? I'll have to go back and re-read that.

It's her and her head-friend, yes. And her tentacle monster.

I'm somewhat conflicted here - I really liked Genevieve from the sample, and Boil was my favourite of the samples, but I was really looking forward to the Lambs being an episodic casebook of interesting monsters, rather than a 'us vs the world' plot, which it seems poised to turn into. I dunno.

Good chapter though.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Mr. Wednesday posted:

The more cartoonishly evil the Crown/Academy is shown to be, the less cool I am with the protagonists doing their dirty work.

I actually feel the opposite. It's so interesting to follow protagonists who work for a pretty evil organization, but are just too young and immature to care about anything beyond their own goals and problems.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

It might be that most of them just realize that they have to work for the academy if they want to stay alive, so they never had to consider it much. The pills they just got are a good example. I think this new antagonist might provide them their first real alternative.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Fray is amazingly dangerous if she's capable of outplaying the academies this hard. The Lambs are pretty outmatched here.

Highlight of this chapter: Chocolate cake.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

devildragon777 posted:

Fray is amazingly dangerous if she's capable of outplaying the academies this hard. The Lambs are pretty outmatched here.

I don't know. An intelligent, dedicated individual being able to maneuver around a bureaucracy isn't really that surprising. Especially when they have intimate knowledge about how the organization works. Fray makes me think of the unibomber. Yeah, the unibomber was a dangerous guy, but he wasn't superhuman. Fray is dangerous, but I don't think she's operating on another level from the lambs. It's just that she's already deep into her game and the lambs only now showed up to the board.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Fray is explicitly superhuman though. In more ways than one.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

And so is every single one of the lambs. Her superhumaness isn't on another level compared to the protagonists.

I think this is getting to the heart of what I really love about Twig. In Worm, the threats were scary because their powers were overwhelming, and Taylor won with clever thinking and strategy. In Twig, the enemies don't have overwhelming superpowers. Instead, the enemy's thinking and strategy is what's really intimidating. And the heroes overcome with even more excellent cleverness.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah; the best bits of Worm were when relatively low-powered people were having interesting think-offs against other relatively low-powered people. The giant super-fights were generally less interesting. It's the main reason why Pact was nowhere near as good as either, it had way more of the latter and less of the former.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I really like Twig. It relies on the strength of several characters getting about as much time as narrator, and I think it makes for a better story then just Blake's constant angst or Taylor's meticulous planning (not that I didn't enjoy both). The protagonists are morally ambiguous at best which is also new and react way less to things as opposed to instigating them. The main six people are certainly my favorite element, whereas in Worm/Pact the surrounding world began stealing the show.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The stitched are becoming increasingly depressing as time goes on. At first I assumed they were just flesh automatons, but it seems more and more like they are people.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

From the sounds of it they vary a lot. I get the feeling that high-quality stitched are basically resurrected people, and low-quality ones are basically zombies.l

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Just started a Worm reread. I've been checking out some of the comments early on in this thread, when it was still ongoing. It's funny to read how people reacted at the time. People were willing to give Taylor a free pass on a lot of bullshit. When I was first reading Worm, I did the same, and it was only at the end that my dislike for the character began to crystallise into clear thoughts. She does a lot of unnecessarily brutal things while rationalising her actions and not pausing to reflect Her need for everything to be on her terms is apparent quite early, too. Her shard was influencing her personality very soon after her trigger event, it seems.

I am quite sure McCrae intended for her to be interpreted in the manner I have described, but he perhaps could have made it clearer through some more time spent with characters who could call her out and provide a counterpoint to her attitude towards the authorities that be. Also, it would be nice if Taylor wasn't so humourless, makes for kind of a drag to read her inner thoughts sometimes.

I'm actually hoping after Twig he spends some time editing Worm, it's a great ride but it needs some editing here and there and possibly some major changes . Some more time with the Wards would be cool (maybe prune some of the warlord stuff for that). Also, cut out Contessa altogether or rework her power majorly.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I don't think it's just her shard effecting her. Sure, it's no coincidence that she both strives to be fully in control and possess the "control fully" shard. But as I saw someone point out, Taylor has crazy trust issues even before triggering. When her mom died, her dad pulled into an angry grief cocoon and wasn't there for her when she needed him most. Then her best friend betrayed her and stated a full on torture campaign. Then her dad and every other adult in her life totally fails in their duty to protect her from this bullying, even after her horrific trigger event.

Now she has powers, is suicidal, and desperately needs some measure of control. She plans and prepares, and kicks a lot of rear end on her first night out. Unfortunately, her first contact with one of the "good guys" is a megalomaniac rear end in a top hat who totally fails her because he's too worried about making himself look good. Then the first "bad guys" she meets includes someone who genuinely wants to help her. That Skitter took the path she did is a no brainer.

Still, I'm always surprised when people don't like Taylor. I adore her. She's everything a darker sort of superhero should be. Kicks rear end, but not because she's way more powerful than everyone. Does good, but is always really morally conflicted. And above all, she embodies the major themes of the story she's starring in. Worm is all about the tension between power and cooperation, the importance of trust vs. the desire for control. Taylor plays it out beautifully.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neurosis posted:

I am quite sure McCrae intended for her to be interpreted in the manner I have described, but he perhaps could have made it clearer through some more time spent with characters who could call her out and provide a counterpoint to her attitude towards the authorities that be. Also, it would be nice if Taylor wasn't so humourless, makes for kind of a drag to read her inner thoughts sometimes.
I gave her a pass because I sympathize with school administration turning a blind eye to bullying for years because it's harder to fix than to leave alone. Her distrust of authority felt really close to what I went through at a similar time in my life, and sublimating that into a harsh mindset towards others is really easy. Also, when you're betrayed by and subsequently bullied by your best friend without warning (also happened to me), it's pretty hard to have a sense of humor. Every day becomes much, much harder. Entertaining suicidal thoughts becomes a way to pass the time and get through the day.

Neurosis posted:

I'm actually hoping after Twig he spends some time editing Worm, it's a great ride but it needs some editing here and there and possibly some major changes . Some more time with the Wards would be cool (maybe prune some of the warlord stuff for that). Also, cut out Contessa altogether or rework her power majorly.
He has been doing so concurrently with Twig, and the timeskip is often discussed as a target for editing, rewriting, or new content.

Btw, following r/parahumans plus spacebattles usually keeps one abreast of most of these things.

Also, yeah. Contessa is a narrative crutch. But it should be noted that one of its drawbacks is mental immaturity / lack of development, because any physical or mental need is fulfilled automatically. Hence, her actual agency is low, which is why she defected to Teacher.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 17, 2015

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Oh, I don't have any problems with how she developed, it all made sense given her circumstances. But just because a character's development makes sense and the character is a good character doesn't mean spending the vast majority of some couple of million words in that character's head won't get grating at times, and I think including some more interaction with people who could provide a different perspective to undermine some of Taylor's rationalising and conceits would do a lot to alleviate that. More time with Clockblocker or Miss Militia, maybe. Theo's too much of a pushover to fulfill that role (his 'oh, okay' reaction to Aster being shot, ugh).

Awesome that McCrae's editing Worm as he goes with Twig, my hat's off to his work ethic.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Neurosis posted:

I just finished a reread, and honestly, Contessa is one of my favorite characters. The chapter where she takes apart Faultline's crew offscreen and her PoV chapter at the end are two of my favorites.

Actually, now that I think about it, almost all of my favorite chapters are interludes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Agreed on the interlude chapters. I think the serial could have worked well with a shifting PoV, although with the proliferation of characters it might have been hard to keep from sprawling out of control.

• Locked thread