Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bee posted:

So going off this article (which seems to make sense to me, but I have zero understanding of economics) it's a really, really bad idea to enter the property market at the moment? I'm mid thirties, have been renting for my entire adult life, and it's one of my dreams to have a place to call my own. If I got a home loan, it'd be for home making rather than investment purposes so I'm not looking to make money, but I don't want to needlessly lose it either.

Would I be better off sticking the deposit I've saved back into a managed fund and just waiting a year or two? Sorry that this isn't a strictly politically related post, I'm just in a bit of a :ohdear: state after reading that article.

Yes, although I'd warn that we still have no idea when this bubble will actually burst. The writing's been on the wall for at least as far back as Rudd 1.0, but even back then we'd have estimated that it would've blown by now.

The crash is coming, and it's gonna be both painful and amazing, but we just don't know when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

bee posted:

So going off this article (which seems to make sense to me, but I have zero understanding of economics) it's a really, really bad idea to enter the property market at the moment? I'm mid thirties, have been renting for my entire adult life, and it's one of my dreams to have a place to call my own. If I got a home loan, it'd be for home making rather than investment purposes so I'm not looking to make money, but I don't want to needlessly lose it either.

Would I be better off sticking the deposit I've saved back into a managed fund and just waiting a year or two? Sorry that this isn't a strictly politically related post, I'm just in a bit of a :ohdear: state after reading that article.

Buying an investment property now would be a terrible idea. Buying your first home now is not necessarily a bad idea, however there is a good chance of prices falling in the short term. If you have a large deposit saved and have good long term job security and your dream home comes on the market you should probably go for it. I wouldn't buy anything that you don't intend to live in for at least 10 years though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just want to say that apparently Twitter has validated the '-gate' suffix for scandals, by naming the paying off people smugglers story 'OnWaterGate'.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I was hoping for cash for boats

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Cleretic posted:

I just want to say that apparently Twitter has validated the '-gate' suffix for scandals, by naming the paying off people smugglers story 'OnWaterGate'.

There was a scandal simply called "dodgygate" that led to the demise of Martin Hamilton-Smith as SA Liberal leader

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Birb Katter posted:

Lol if you think most of the checkout or stockshelf people at woolies or coles even know who is running the shop or what is done in their name.

Yeah, that's more or less what I was saying. The apathy that the average person has towards politics, multiplied by 10. Nobody of my generation (23) cares about unions in the slightest. Which is a shame because in principle they seem like a really great way to participate in politics with tangible results.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

There was a scandal simply called "dodgygate" that led to the demise of Martin Hamilton-Smith as SA Liberal leader

My personal favourite is still Gategate

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Iguana gate was a thing

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Utegate killed Turnbull

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I was hoping for cash for boats
A Coalition government would buy unseaworthy vessels from owners who might be tempted to sell them to smugglers, as part of its efforts to deter asylum seekers from coming to Australia. (Aug 2013)

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Lid posted:

Utegate killed Turnbull

Self-ownage.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I mean I still struggle to believe that this is true. I know the Coalition is stupid, incompetent and evil but I can not believe they would be this loving stupid. This loving self destructive, why the gently caress would they ever do this, why wouldn't they just point guns at them and say "Go the gently caress back" or tow them to Indonesia and point them at the shore.

I really really can't believe they'd be this loving filled with hubris and stupidity.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I can.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's like when serial killers start making 'mistakes' because they want to get caught.

I think this is really a creation of TV and movies, but whatever

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Urcher posted:

Buying your first home now is not necessarily a bad idea, however there is a good chance of prices falling in the short term.

That's the thing that I'm concerned about though - if I buy now, then the prices drop, wouldn't I have been better off waiting for that price drop so initially I wouldn't have spent as much money for the house? Or would the rise in interest rates that would accompany the crash gently caress me over anyway?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

open24hours posted:

It's like when serial killers start making 'mistakes' because they want to get caught.

I think this is really a creation of TV and movies, but whatever

I wouldn't mind betting that it's a real thing in some form, although obviously sensationalised and overplayed in fiction

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

hooman posted:

I mean I still struggle to believe that this is true. I know the Coalition is stupid, incompetent and evil but I can not believe they would be this loving stupid. This loving self destructive, why the gently caress would they ever do this, why wouldn't they just point guns at them and say "Go the gently caress back" or tow them to Indonesia and point them at the shore.

I really really can't believe they'd be this loving filled with hubris and stupidity.

They've been acting this way since the moment they were elected and they keep getting away with it because the public doesn't care and the press gallery can't analyse events or statements outside of the inane meta-context of the day-to-day ~narrative~.

I can't think of a single initiative of theirs that hasn't been audaciously dumb.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cleretic posted:

twitter delenda est

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

bee posted:

That's the thing that I'm concerned about though - if I buy now, then the prices drop, wouldn't I have been better off waiting for that price drop so initially I wouldn't have spent as much money for the house? Or would the rise in interest rates that would accompany the crash gently caress me over anyway?

Absolutely. "If" being the operative word. It looks like house prices are about to start dropping, which is why you shouldn't buy an investment property. On the other hand it has looked like prices are about to start dropping for the last decade, so it might be a while yet, which is why it's OK to buy a place to live in - if you are in a particularly strong position to do so.

Strong in this case meaning having a 20% deposit, long term job security, and a low chance of needing to move within 10 years. Also interest rates are at record lows, so assume they will go up, possibly by a lot, and factor that in to deciding if it's the right time for you to buy.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
I'd definitely hold off buying now, especially if you're in Sydney which is racing ahead of the rest of the country. When both the treasury secretary and the RBA governer are saying that Sydney is overheated you know something is up.

Also if the market (or the economy) slumps, then interest rates will be going down to stimulate the economy. In the short term, you wont be 'missing out' on low interest rates.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
So for the fifth straight poll, Ipsos is showing at least a three point swing.

They are a seriously dud pollster, and it's embarrasing watching Fairfax's analysts have to pretend that their numbers mean anything (Abbott's back! Abbott's toast! Abbott's back!)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Many thanks, I appreciate your help :)

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Found: The true meaning of Operation Sovereign Borders

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Quasimango posted:

So for the fifth straight poll, Ipsos is showing at least a three point swing.

They are a seriously dud pollster, and it's embarrasing watching Fairfax's analysts have to pretend that their numbers mean anything (Abbott's back! Abbott's toast! Abbott's back!)

yoyo.png

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I hope someone asks renowned Catholic Tony Abbott about this:

quote:

Vatican City: Pope Francis will call on all people to be "stewards of creation" and address climate change on Thursday in the most feverishly awaited papal encyclical in decades.

By making environmental protection a moral imperative, his intervention could spur the world's 1.2 billion Catholics to lobby policymakers on ecology issues. Francis has already used his two-year-old papacy to lead in areas such as the resumption of diplomatic ties between Cuba and the US, a deal the Vatican brokered.

Francis has said he wants the document, called "Laudato Si (Be Praised), On the Care of Our Common Home", to be part of the debate at a major United Nations summit on climate change later this year.

Speaking to tens of thousands people in St Peter's Square on Sunday, he said it was "addressed to everyone". He hoped it could spark "renewed attention to situations of environmental degradation and to recovery" and lead to "greater responsibility for the common home that God has entrusted to us".

People familiar with the encyclical say it will note the impact of climate change on the poor and discuss inequalities of wealth – already a major theme for the first pope from Latin America, where poverty is widespread – and population issues. Rich nations will be asked to re-examine "throw-away" lifestyles.

Politicians have increasingly acknowledged religion's role in the environmental debate, although anxious conservatives and climate change sceptics, particularly in the US, have excoriated the Pope for delving into science.

"If you are concerned about God, a creator and his creation, then you have to be concerned that his creation is not destroyed," said French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius, who will host the summit in Paris.

The first papal encyclical, or teaching letter, dedicated to the environment is expected to have particular sway over Latin American nations whose votes could be crucial at the summit.

The Vatican will hold a private briefing for ambassadors from some 170 countries after it is published on Thursday.

"I have strict orders, as do many of my colleagues, to send it instantly to my government," one ambassador said.

Those familiar with the document say it gives credence by default to scientific consensus that much of global warming is caused by human activity but that neither climate change activists or sceptics will be able to claim total victory.

The Pope hinted at what he would say while talking to reporters about climate change in January.

"For the most part, it is man who continuously slaps down nature," he said. "I think man has gone too far ... thank God that today there are voices that are speaking out about this."

At a conference at the Vatican in April, the Holy See teamed up with the UN and came down firmly against sceptics who deny human activities help change global weather patterns.

The final statement of the conference, attended by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon and some 60 scientists, religious leaders and diplomats, said "human-induced climate change is a scientific reality".

US Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, a Catholic and climate change sceptic, said the church would be "better off leaving science to the scientists".

Maureen Mullarkey, a commentator for the conservative US website First Things, published by the Institute on Religion and Public Life, called Francis "an ideologue and a meddlesome egoist" who was "sacralising politics and bending theology to premature, intemperate policy endorsements".

A papal encyclical is part of a pope's "ordinary magisterium", or teaching function, meaning it is authoritative but not infallible.
As much as the church is regressive and harmful on a lot of issues, this new pope has been pretty good imo.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

WTF happened to my creepy Tony av??

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
the anidavs are spreading

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Lynton Crosby advises his clients to ignore newspaper polls as they are loving worthless, and he's gotten like a million Tories elected.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Some Murdoch Rag posted:

A group of senior government and opposition MPs have reportedly met in a bipartisan bid to shut down a bill on marriage equality.

Several cabinet ministers and senior frontbenchers are in discussion with up to six Labor MPs against same-sex marriage, the Daily Telegraph reports.

The group are reportedly plotting to prevent the bill from even getting to a vote on the floor of the House of Representatives, believing that if the bill gets that far it would be defeated, according to an unnamed source.

June 09, 2015: Social Services Minister Scott Morrison has called for a "slow down" in the gay marriage debate, saying the issue shouldn't be forced on people.

The group are said to be looking at alternatives to same-sex marriage, including civil unions which some MPs opposed to gay marriage can accept.

A senior Labor MP, who declined to be named, admitted that talks had been held with Coalition MPs opposed to same-sex marriage.

The MP said that Labor MPs had been "strong-armed" by the party's left into supporting the bill.

June 09, 2015: Prime Minister Tony Abbott is facing an angry backlash from conservative MPs, within his party, over the issue of marriage equality.

"It is fair to say the spectre of pre-selection has been dangled over the head of some," the source said.

Labor MPs who have voiced opposition to marriage equality include Senator Stephen Conroy, Anthony Byrne and Maria Vamavakinou.

Senior Coalition MPs including Social Services Minister Scott Morrison, Immigration Minister Peter Dutton, Phillip Ruddock and Senator Connie Fierravanti-Wells have also expressed their opposition to same-sex marriage.

June 01, 2015: Labor leader Bill Shorten has introduced the same-sex marriage legislation to parliament, which redefines marriages as ‘the union of two people’.

Last week Mr Morrison said he would prefer to see civil unions instead of same-sex marriage, saying critics had been unhelpfully labelled as homophobes.

Bill Shorten introduced a bill on same-sex marriage two weeks ago but over the weekend increased the pressure on Mr Abbott by offering to surrender the opposition's moving and seconding rights if it would help to get the bill up.

"If you want your name on the piece of paper, that's fine - we just want everyone else to be able to put their names on a piece of paper too," he told a Melbourne rally in support of marriage equality on Saturday.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The good thing about ALP MPs opposed to gay marriage is that they're so spineless they probably fold once they realise how well it is playing with the electorate.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

gay picnic defence posted:

WTF happened to my creepy Tony av??

One of us, one of us.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gay picnic defence posted:

The good thing about ALP MPs opposed to gay marriage is that they're so spineless they probably fold once they realise how well it is playing with the electorate.

I doubt it. They'll follow whatever the Hun or Daily Terrorgraph tells them to do

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Conroy's a social conservative hardarse, I can't see him changing his mind.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

You didn't even need to hunt down the original, that text is as :911: as it gets.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I think it's just great that Australian nationalists are putting their foot in it by lazily exploiting american memes for their own purpose and wedging themselves against anti-american sentiment.

Just... just great to watch. :allears:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/AustralianRedCross/photos/a.10150382567607222.443240.245602512221/10153976709837222/?type=1&permPage=1

here we go

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I mean really, the void of national patriotic/war history in this nation must leave some hard right fools absolutely despondent, because the only truly Australian mythology that can be drawn upon to suit their purpose are things like "A Fair Go", "Pioneering", "ANZAC Diggers" and so on - and none of those are about glorifying war or justifying a hardline message. Truly amazing.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

There's the Eureka Stockade, but yeah not very hard right friendly there. Ditto Ned Kelly.

Maybe they could do something with Bodyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't think "A Fair Go" is really something they want to encourage either.

• Locked thread