Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. The reason for that is actually really stupid. It's a result of the really dumb way they did the English patch for those games.

I'm curious about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh, it's good it's getting a re-release, but I'd rather see a complete re-release, like the ones we got before -- some of us liked Megaman 7 and 8.

It doesn't matter anyway because the series is loving dead and this is Capcom kicking a dead robot horse in the hopes more energy pellets fall out of it. It's purely a nostalgia franchise at this point, and soon it won't even be that.

Good to see nobody's being unreasonably pessimistic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I'm curious about this.

Basically from what I recall:

The way it works is that the Japanese version is basically a rom of the Japanese version running in an emulator. For the english version rather than it being an English version they set it up so that it patches the Japanese version of the game on the fly instead. So the loading time is a result of that.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dabir posted:

Good to see nobody's being unreasonably pessimistic.

Nice thing about pessimism -- either you're right, or things turn out well. If Capcom manages to churn out a new game that isn't boring retro-garbage I will be the first to tear off my clothes and run out into the street to wave to all the flying pigs and to offer warm blankets to Hell's semi-frozen refugees.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

That's ridiculously convoluted. Thanks.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Nice thing about pessimism -- either you're right, or things turn out well. If Capcom manages to churn out a new game that isn't boring retro-garbage I will be the first to tear off my clothes and run out into the street to wave to all the flying pigs and to offer warm blankets to Hell's semi-frozen refugees.

And it's still very annoying when you come in and post it all over the place.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh, it's good it's getting a re-release, but I'd rather see a complete re-release, like the ones we got before -- some of us liked Megaman 7 and 8.

It doesn't matter anyway because the series is loving dead and this is Capcom kicking a dead robot horse in the hopes more energy pellets fall out of it. It's purely a nostalgia franchise at this point, and soon it won't even be that.

If they included 7 and 8 you'd find something else to complain about, I'm sure.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Basically from what I recall:

The way it works is that the Japanese version is basically a rom of the Japanese version running in an emulator. For the english version rather than it being an English version they set it up so that it patches the Japanese version of the game on the fly instead. So the loading time is a result of that.

Also, Chrono Trigger was originally for the SNES. Cartridge games have instant loading, and the PS1 didn't have enough memory to have the entire game loaded into memory to simulate the SNES's load times. The patching on the fly just made it worse, and they clearly didn't/couldn't optimize it at all so we ended up with 4 second load times just to open the menu.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 10, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Do it the way Sega will, neat idea.

just terrible execution

If they announced a Mega Man USA Teen Kidz Whatever tie-in game developed by Wayforward or Yacht Club or some other reputable genre-appropriate dev and it didn't immediately look like hot garbage, would people really be disappointed? It's kinda weird to think that no western studio has been given a real shot at making a genuine MM game, honestly, and I'd be curious to see how it'd stack up.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

He's called Screaming Idiot for a reason. Games's threads have made me welcome the ignore button and its use.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dabir posted:

And it's still very annoying when you come in and post it all over the place.

Then let me post some fanart instead.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack mets on fire off the side of the screen. I watched Magnet Beams glitter in the dark near the Robot Master Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in a Rain Flush. Time to die.
*pew-pew-pew-pew*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If they announced a Mega Man USA Teen Kidz Whatever tie-in game developed by Wayforward or Yacht Club or some other reputable genre-appropriate dev and it didn't immediately look like hot garbage, would people really be disappointed? It's kinda weird to think that no western studio has been given a real shot at making a genuine MM game, honestly, and I'd be curious to see how it'd stack up.

Don't talk like that, that sounds suspiciously like hope and hope is only the first step on the long road to disappointment.

(Wayforward or Yacht Club would make a great Megaman game, but it'll never happen. :smith:)

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 10, 2015

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Sorry if this was already mentioned here but I just saw it in the vinyl thread and loving really? Is there some huge love of those later soundtracks I never came across?

Ballz posted:

Coming soon to a Hot Topic near you...

There's not a single Mega Man 3 track included. :negative:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Sorry if this was already mentioned here but I just saw it in the vinyl thread and loving really? Is there some huge love of those later soundtracks I never came across?

That's really weird, you'd think with the 8 bit aesthetic they would skip 7 and 8, not 3. Or at least have one track from 3 in there.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

TheRedEye posted:

Yes, it does mean that it's back in (I think it was broken in Anniversary Collection?). In the button config menus we had to make a special case just for "MM1 Pause".

It's great to hear that button config is in. The GC version of Anniversary Collection always threw me off.

Can you give us any more details about the new challenge mode? Will there be any new trailers for E3?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I like Mega Man 7 and 8 too (yes I actually like MM8, I know, I need to turn in my Mega Man badge) and I am disappointed that they aren't in the collection but I can also think of some decent reasons why they aren't included (budget, price point, consistency, not wanting to have to revamp games for a different console) but it's also really kinda senseless to get all up in arms about this. I know being an idiot who screams is your M.O. but take a chill pill man, it's just vidya games.

I would really love to get portable versions of 7-10 though. That, or at least a steam version.

And for the longest time I've wanted hacked versions of 9 and 10 where Mega Man can charge and slide. Yes, I know Protoman can do it. But I wish Mega Man could, too!

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like Mega Man 7 and 8 too (yes I actually like MM8, I know, I need to turn in my Mega Man badge) and I am disappointed that they aren't in the collection but I can also think of some decent reasons why they aren't included (budget, price point, consistency, not wanting to have to revamp games for a different console) but it's also really kinda senseless to get all up in arms about this. I know being an idiot who screams is your M.O. but take a chill pill man, it's just vidya games.

I would really love to get portable versions of 7-10 though. That, or at least a steam version.

And for the longest time I've wanted hacked versions of 9 and 10 where Mega Man can charge and slide. Yes, I know Protoman can do it. But I wish Mega Man could, too!

Eh, I get why MM8 is not in there, since they just released it a few weeks ago. I do appreciate that Capcom is doing something with Mega Man again. I'm interested in this new collection, but want to see more before I buy anything.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Here's to hoping that if this sells, we get a Mega Mam Collection part 2 which has 7-10, Mega Man & Bass and maybe the arcade games.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Here's to hoping that if this sells, we get a Mega Mam Collection part 2 which has 7-10, Mega Man & Bass and maybe the arcade games.

Only if it includes the Wonderswan game and the Neo Geo Pocket Color version of the arcade games that used the NES art style but animated everything like MM7

That was always so weird to see in action.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Or, maybe... just maybe... they release Mega Man 11.

...on the iphone. :p

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Give me another isometric megaman

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I will never stop rooting for an HD rerelease of Mega Man DOS.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Takoluka posted:

I still can't believe they released Misadventures of Tron Bonne on PSN. That alone shows that something is happening within Capcom, somewhere, and it gives me hope for this and future collections.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Vaguely relevant: Shantae Half-Genie Hero (the KS game) got a new playable build for E3 and it's available to a certain tier of KS backers, too. Here's the trailer and some footage; they're doing 2D-on-3D a la Ducktales Remastered but it looks much better this time, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szhhFGQ3rl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO9MIQpIwvw

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Now why couldn't MN9 look this pretty?

And nobody say 'because he's not dressed like a belly dancer'.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It could look even more prettierer with "proper" 2d art but I fully understand why it's more convenient to do it in 2.5D or whatever it's called now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Vaguely relevant: Shantae Half-Genie Hero (the KS game) got a new playable build for E3 and it's available to a certain tier of KS backers, too. Here's the trailer and some footage; they're doing 2D-on-3D a la Ducktales Remastered but it looks much better this time, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szhhFGQ3rl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO9MIQpIwvw

The Shantae games are pretty good, I really liked Pirate's Curse and I backed them on kickstarter for this one.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Dabir posted:

Now why couldn't MN9 look this pretty?

And nobody say 'because he's not dressed like a belly dancer'.
Probably wouldn't have hurt though

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ekusukariba posted:

Probably wouldn't have hurt though

Oh gently caress, gently caress, gently caress, a lady wearing Mighty 9 armor, take it down, take it DOWN NOW

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some specs/features for the various versions of MN9: http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150611

-Cross-buy (but no cross-play) for PS3/4/Vita

-PSTV support TBC

-No cross-buy fro Xbone/Windows 10

-No Mii/Amiibo support for Wii U/3DS

-PS4 remote play, cloud saves, share play, live broadcasting all TBC

-3DS version will have 3D and use the touchscreen, but no streetpass/spotpass

-Wii U version has "gamepad support" (off-tv play, presumably), no motion controls, no Miiverse (why?), Classic Controller support TBC

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

no Miiverse (why?)

They confirmed a community, just no in-game support.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just realized Mega Man X8 was released over a decade ago. Also for some reason it's not on steam despite having a PC release. You'd think Capcom would have done that at some point.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Some specs/features for the various versions of MN9: http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150611

-Cross-buy (but no cross-play) for PS3/4/Vita

-PSTV support TBC

-No cross-buy fro Xbone/Windows 10

-No Mii/Amiibo support for Wii U/3DS

-PS4 remote play, cloud saves, share play, live broadcasting all TBC

-3DS version will have 3D and use the touchscreen, but no streetpass/spotpass

-Wii U version has "gamepad support" (off-tv play, presumably), no motion controls, no Miiverse (why?), Classic Controller support TBC

They should've supported the Megaman Amiibo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Announced at Microsoft's E3 presentation: "ReCore", a XB1 exclusive from Infane/Comcept and Armature, the ex-Retro team that worked on the aborted Marverick Hunter FPS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2xgu4QnYA0

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Announced at Microsoft's E3 presentation: "ReCore", a XB1 exclusive from Infane/Comcept and Armature, the ex-Retro team that worked on the aborted Marverick Hunter FPS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2xgu4QnYA0

I still have no idea what kind of game this is.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Motto posted:

I still have no idea what kind of game this is.

You'll know in about 2 years.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
EDIT: Eh, disregard. I'll wait until it comes out before I unleash the hate-flow.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 16, 2015

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Capcom did a stream of the Legacy Collection. It looks pretty cool, lots of high res art, some cool filters and the challenges look neat.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Capcom did a stream of the Legacy Collection. It looks pretty cool, lots of high res art, some cool filters and the challenges look neat.

That looks really great! Some questions:

1. It appears that section switches within a single game (such as the bossrushes) are not storing weapon energy alongside the switch- is that accurate?

2. Any chance of soliciting challenge ideas from the community?

3. Can the game store information on whether or not weapons were used or damage was taken during challenge mode?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Legacy Collection does look great. Good job, TheRedEye.

Any chance of the 3DS version getting 3D? The games would look amazing if they were done like the Sega 3D classics.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Not sure if anyone else cares, but apparently Archie is putting the Mega Man comic on "indefinite hiatus" after issue 53. Rumor has it that it's due more to financial issues at Archie limiting how many series they can publish rather than sales figures or anything to do with Capcom. It wasn't perfect, but I really liked it and I'm bummed out now. :smith: