Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Let's make a mothershitting LLJK guild and grief the poopnuggets out of this game. But really, Pathfinder Online is looking frickin' Epic, and a 15 Day Trial will be sure to bring more people to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I was planning to have a look at Pathfinder Online for the purposes of piss-taking, and now you say that they've made it free to do so?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
hi yes hello i havent done any nerdgames poo poo in like a year and some change and i want to paint some cool robits and soldierman barbies and such, whats the best line to look at in terms of bang:buck and also general ownage

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

In the process of patching Pathfinder mmo and will be streaming from 21:00 hopefully.

Stream will be at http://www.twitch.tv/angrymog/ in two hours from now.

edit: Back to 21:00 as it suprise finished earlyy. That's 40 minutes from this edit.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 13, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

So, yeah. That's a thing alright. I really don't think that they're in a position to be charging people full subsription fees for that thing just yet, and in fact opening up a trial to people who haven't heavily bought into it might be the worst possible thing they could do at this point in time.

I do not think it is a scam - I do think that Ryan Dancey really wants to make the best Pathfinder flavoured MMO he can, I just don't think that he has the slightest clue how to do it.

re: character mechanics - it seems to be classless with you XP buying you 'Feats' - i.e. access to weapons, armour, spells and special moves, but the only organisation of the Feats available is alphabetic, so there's no way to see how it would all flow together to make a coherant character build.

I got PKed once, and then PKed the fucker right back, but a random dwarf had ninjalooted my 'husk'. Corpse runs are a thing in this - you don't lose your equipped items, but you do drop everything in your pack.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Angrymog posted:

I got PKed once, and then PKed the fucker right back, but a random dwarf had ninjalooted my 'husk'. Corpse runs are a thing in this - you don't lose your equipped items, but you do drop everything in your pack.

Wow, I might try it out if I pine for the days of EverQuest beta.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think I figured out the target audience for PFO: It's not for regular MMO players, it's for people who've watched anime about people trapped in an MMO, because they think this poo poo is how it should work.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Frig off, Sword Art Online was the best anime of 2013 and hell, of this decade.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sword Art Online was seriously creepy after a few episodes.

Anyway, if you want to watch the bullshit, it's here.

If you want to watch my misery http://www.twitch.tv/angrymog/b/668732180?t=1h41m46s

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Frig off, Sword Art Online was the best anime of 2013 and hell, of this decade.

SAO is garbage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you argue about anime in this thread I will close it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

SAO is garbage.

Hello, SAO.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there a RPG system that accurately portrays the world of a police procedural?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Len posted:

Is there a RPG system that accurately portrays the world of a police procedural?

Yes. Gumshoe is designed for precisely that sort of thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes. Gumshoe is designed for precisely that sort of thing.

Welp I know what I want to try and find at Gencon then. A gumshoe game. Because I want to be the loose cannon cop who demands someone enhances that video some more.

Meanwhile another player needs to roll an enhance check to figure out what the exact pattern on that shoe is.

Then a third person uses their esoteric knowledge of shoes to know that there were only 50 of that particular shoe made and it was only sold to special people.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mutant City Blues is explicitly a police procedural, but in a world with super-powers. Either way, the GUMSHOE system is worth checking out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Welp I know what I want to try and find at Gencon then. A gumshoe game. Because I want to be the loose cannon cop who demands someone enhances that video some more.

Meanwhile another player needs to roll an enhance check to figure out what the exact pattern on that shoe is.

Then a third person uses their esoteric knowledge of shoes to know that there were only 50 of that particular shoe made and it was only sold to special people.

It's worth noting that that's kind of the sort of thing that GUMSHOE wants to discourage: making a check to see if you discover the clue, or making a check to see if you can make the connection, because if you fail the check, the game grinds to a halt.

If your character has "an esoteric knowledge of shoes", they don't even need to roll for it - perhaps the in-universe narrative is that they check it on the computer, but they're always supposed to figure out that it belongs to the perp.

Lenny Briscoe does not fail Investigation rolls during an episode of L&O. The "game" part is Lenny's player figuring out what in Lenny's character sheet is applicable to the situation and how it's going to lead them to the next :doink: interlude.

Or to put it another way, the CSI team always finds the key clue when they're at the crime scene: the question is what clue it is, and which of the techs back at the lab can do something with it. Is it a small bit of fiber to an obscure fashion line? Is it an insect larva to establish a timeline of the murder? Is it a polaroid selfie of the victim that contains the face of her murderer as a reflection on her iris when zoomed in enough?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Len posted:

Note that GUMSHOE would require a fairly hefty amount of hacking to turn it into a mundane police procedural.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FactsAreUseless posted:

anime is bad

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

anime is bad

Why you think so, other than the fact you are a cretin?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Drown me! Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please. Only please, Brer Fox, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

People who condemn all anime are approximatively 17% worse than people who defend all of it, and I say this as someone who watches exactly one [1] anime.

To bring this back to tabletop games, is there a game that allows you to play monster adventurers better than D&D does? In that game picking a race with a level modifier has a tendency of leaving you behind the curve compared to your human and dwarven companions.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Effectronica posted:

Note that GUMSHOE would require a fairly hefty amount of hacking to turn it into a mundane police procedural.

You could use the Esoterrorists and leave out the monsters. I think it wouldn't take a whole lot of hacking.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Foo posted:

anime is bad

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sionak posted:

You could use the Esoterrorists and leave out the monsters. I think it wouldn't take a whole lot of hacking.

Eh, not so much on the mechanical end (although the Esoterrorist skill list probably should be altered somewhat) but on the end of providing all the fluff details for the justice system and so on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Well, D&D 4e lets you play as a good amount of monster races without level adjustment crap...

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

paradoxGentleman posted:

People who condemn all anime are approximatively 17% worse than people who defend all of it, and I say this as someone who watches exactly one [1] anime.

To bring this back to tabletop games, is there a game that allows you to play monster adventurers better than D&D does? In that game picking a race with a level modifier has a tendency of leaving you behind the curve compared to your human and dwarven companions.

Generally speaking, the best for this would be a game that doesn't feature hard-coded racial abilities to begin with. Instead you start with a baseline (average human) and build your character (and by extension, your race) on as a set of advantages/weaknesses. Obviously that mostly means point buy games like GURPS or BESM.

Of course, a lot depends on what sort of games you like. Personally, I'm not a big fan of most point buy games (BESM is about as numbers heavy as I'm willing to go and it can be broken pretty easily). My preferred game for it would be some flavor of PDQ where races are represented as Qualities and Weaknesses. You could simply represent an Elf as a character with a Quality of Good [+2] Elf (helps you do elfy things) and Poor [-2] Elf (hurts you in areas that elves suck at). The same could be applied to most monstrous characters, like say Good [+2] Minotaur (useful for feats of strength, being scary, headbutting things) and Poor [-2] Minotaur (fitting into small spaces, getting lost easily, fitting in with civilized society. stinky cow farts).

Of course, that assumes you like PDQ and its ilk.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Well, D&D 4e lets you play as a good amount of monster races without level adjustment crap...
I think it's unfair to call dwarves monsters, they're just kinda grouchy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm doing a 4e design retrospective in the F&F thread, and one of their stated design goals with regards to player races was to use balanced attribute bonuses, racial feats, and staggered access to racial abilities precisely so that you could play the odder races without having to apply a racial level adjustment because the designers observed that things like a Human Wizard getting the next level of spells ahead of, say, a Medusa Wizard, made monster races never really worth it.

And now that I think about it, that 3rd Edition approach is actually the inverse of how it used to be done in AD&D. Where 3E frontloaded the penalty, older editions capped your maximum level as a trade-off for being that much more powerful early on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

4e is some goddamn win.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

About 25 or so when we count things that are classically D&D monsters.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
it's pretty easy to get some nice homebrews of just about every monster in 4e that a player would want to use, or refluff any number of things so that a player could be whatever monster they want too

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Someone run a "Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou" game on it, for the love of God.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I do not think I would be comfortable playing such a game, friend Plutonis, but you go right ahead and tell us later how it went.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pretty sure God's love wouldn't enter into it.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it's unfair to call dwarves monsters, they're just kinda grouchy.

In D&D Dwarves can be up to five feet tall, but if you joke w/ your significant other about how she is within the height range for D&D dwarves she'll scowl at you. Thanks WOTC.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

In D&D Dwarves can be up to five feet tall, but if you joke w/ your significant other about how she is within the height range for D&D dwarves she'll scowl at you. Thanks WOTC.
If she tries anything you can just put your hand on her head and hold her out at arm's length.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mormon Star Wars posted:

D&D is pathologically obsessed with various flavors of tiny and short people, it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This year's Game Chef has begun.

This game chef is weird. Write a game for a non-gamer audience, but it'll still be gamers and game designers who are judging it, so... try to appeal to the same audience you usually try to appeal to, while pretending to appeal to a different one, I guess.

I always had an idea of a game revolving around sign language. I know some ASL, and playing an ASL rpg would be incredibly good practice because you have to be able to describe things in motion and place them spatially and so on. I could probably write it and have it count for this gamechef. But I'm too busy with strike coming out soon plus having a baby soon to take on a new project right now.

• Locked thread