Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pinterest Mom posted:

weekend at parents' status: my mom wants me to set up a pinterest account for her
time to change your username. i suggest "sexually exhausted billionaire'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
e: dbl pst

FMguru fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 14, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

time to change your username. i suggest "sexually exhausted billionaire"

three comma club

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

:psyboom:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

fishmech why are you against pedestrianism, idgi

i got off the train one stop before main sf by mistake once and decided to hoof it. like 90% no sidewalks and then when theyre there its slabs of concrete like some kind of hateful deathworld.

what idiocy of yours makes you think I'm against it? i'm just pointing out that the only reason that place in whatever europe it was has that particular area restricted from cars is because its so drat old and cramped that it was already impractical. you're not generally going to find that in the heart of an american city, where there's been nice wide streets since the 1800s, well before cars were even a madman's dream

why were you going to horrible city SF. also why are you so upset that sidewalks are normally made out of concrete lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

idk it just sounded like you were, sorry

but its not like you cant copenhagenize a city with a street grid

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the english ambassador to japan once visited hiroshima and asked why the streets were so regular compared to the rest of japan

the japanese official said "well we had some help from america with that"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

idk it just sounded like you were, sorry

but its not like you cant copenhagenize a city with a street grid

you kinda can't in general, because the shopping areas and the like simply aren't laid out in a way that would make sense to do it, and furthermore no one really wants to risk trying to move to a purported new shopping area for such a project.

hence why actually pedestrianizing efforts tend to show up in places in cities where the street grid breaks like for example times square (which also had horrible traffic patterns before they made it so it was 90% pedestrian, due to all the weird angles.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

oh my god oh my god kill these people

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

coffeetable posted:

said Gay Butler, an interior designer out for a trail ride on her show horse, Bear.

come on

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

coffeetable posted:

said Gay Butler, an interior designer out for a trail ride on her show horse, Bear.

this can't be real

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

they've also found that conservatives use more electricity too, particularly when told that they're using less than their neighbors

In a study published last month on the National Bureau of Economic Research website, Dora Costa and Matthew Kahn concluded that providing feedback on energy use can actually backfire with some conservatives.

Costa and Kahn merged utility data from 80,000 homes with corresponding voter registration and donation records. The economists found that a Democratic household with green bona fides -- paying for electricity from renewable sources, donating to environmental groups and living in a neighborhood of fellow liberals -- will reduce its consumption by 3 percent in response to feedback.

Meanwhile, a Republican household that doesn't adhere to environmental behaviors will actually increase its consumption by 1 percent. The households that received home energy reports reduced their consumption by about 2 percent overall, but the Republican subset of this group reduced their energy use by 0.4 percent.

The economists speculate that some conservatives may react angrily at being told to save energy, while others may realize their energy use is lower than average and increase it to match perceived norms. Other tactics may be needed to get conservatives to conserve.

"One solution is to tailor messages to different groups," Costa said in an e-mail. "But another possibility is that at some point we may need to make the hard choices of taking costlier actions to lower electricity consumption."

lol forever

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

coffeetable posted:

this is spectacular

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ry.html?hpid=z1
[quote]
Rich Californians balk at limits: ‘We’re not all equal when it comes to water’

People “should not be forced to live on property with brown lawns, golf on brown courses or apologize for wanting their gardens to be beautiful,”

“And, no, we’re not all equal when it comes to water.”

In April, after Gov. Jerry Brown (D) called for a 25 percent reduction in water use, consumption in Rancho Santa Fe went up by 9 percent.

“I think we’re being overly penalized, and we’re certainly being overly scrutinized by the world,” said Gay Butler, an interior designer out for a trail ride on her show horse, Bear. She said her water bill averages about $800 a month.

“It angers me because people aren’t looking at the overall picture,” Butler said. “What are we supposed to do, just have dirt around our house on four acres?”

Yuhas, who hosts a conservative talk-radio show, abhors the culture of “drought-shaming”

“When we bought, we didn’t plan on getting a place that looks like we’re living in an African savanna.”

Another friend, Woods said, has seen the value of his nine-acre plot plummet from $30 million to $22 million

xeriscaping is brown and ugly

idiots

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

this can't be real

that's when I triple checked the url because I couldn't believe it wasn't an onion article

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

idiots

Where in those bushes am i gonna lay flat on my belly and flail about, huh?!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
your show horse can't run around in a garden of cactuses smythe

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hobbesmaster posted:

that's when I triple checked the url because I couldn't believe it wasn't an onion article

same; holy poo poo those people are utterly awful

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

your show horse can't run around in a garden of cactuses smythe

the problem is he named it

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

poty posted:

come on

Moist von Lipwig posted:

this can't be real

https://plus.google.com/103410021644822381773/about?gl=uk&hl=en

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
cactus ftw

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

aaaaaaaaaaagh

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Smythe posted:

cactus ftw

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
SHANGHAI—Ride-hailing app Uber Technologies Inc. is urging its drivers in China not to get involved in conflicts with authorities and has threatened to punish those who disobey.

The appeal came following a confrontation Friday evening in the eastern Chinese city of Hangzhou between drivers from local taxi services and Uber. Taxi drivers across China have taken to the streets to protest what they say is unfair competition from illegal taxis.

In two short messages sent to Uber drivers in Hangzhou and circulated online—verified with Uber in China by The Wall Street Journal—Uber urged its drivers not to go the scene and instructed those already there to leave immediately. Uber said it would use GPS to identify drivers that had refused to leave the location and cancel its contracts with them.

The messages said Uber’s actions were designed to “maintain social order.”

In a statement issued Saturday, Uber also said one Uber driver involved in an incident during Friday’s confrontation was licensed and had cooperated with the Hangzhou authorities. The company was strongly against any extreme behavior that could affect harmony and stability, the statement added.

Authorities in Hangzhou couldn't be reached for comment Saturday.

In addition to Uber, Didi Kuaidi Joint Co.—the merged entity formed by ride-fetching mobile app operators Kuaidi Dache and Didi Dache—has also come under fire in some Chinese cities.

The confrontation in Hangzhou is the latest upset for Uber in China. Authorities in at least two Chinese cities have visited its offices in recent months. The company has previously described such visits as “routine.”

The disturbance also comes as Uber looks to raise fresh funds for the China operation to better compete with the cash-rich Didi Kuaidi, which has backing from Chinese Internet giants Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. and Tencent Holding Ltd. Uber’s China unit, UberChina, is set to launch a formal fundraising process on June 22.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Kobayashi posted:

SHANGHAI—Ride-hailing app Uber Technologies Inc. is urging its drivers in China not to get involved in conflicts with authorities and has threatened to punish those who disobey.

The appeal came following a confrontation Friday evening in the eastern Chinese city of Hangzhou between drivers from local taxi services and Uber. Taxi drivers across China have taken to the streets to protest what they say is unfair competition from illegal taxis.

In two short messages sent to Uber drivers in Hangzhou and circulated online—verified with Uber in China by The Wall Street Journal—Uber urged its drivers not to go the scene and instructed those already there to leave immediately. Uber said it would use GPS to identify drivers that had refused to leave the location and cancel its contracts with them.

The messages said Uber’s actions were designed to “maintain social order.”

In a statement issued Saturday, Uber also said one Uber driver involved in an incident during Friday’s confrontation was licensed and had cooperated with the Hangzhou authorities. The company was strongly against any extreme behavior that could affect harmony and stability, the statement added.

Authorities in Hangzhou couldn't be reached for comment Saturday.

In addition to Uber, Didi Kuaidi Joint Co.—the merged entity formed by ride-fetching mobile app operators Kuaidi Dache and Didi Dache—has also come under fire in some Chinese cities.

The confrontation in Hangzhou is the latest upset for Uber in China. Authorities in at least two Chinese cities have visited its offices in recent months. The company has previously described such visits as “routine.”

The disturbance also comes as Uber looks to raise fresh funds for the China operation to better compete with the cash-rich Didi Kuaidi, which has backing from Chinese Internet giants Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. and Tencent Holding Ltd. Uber’s China unit, UberChina, is set to launch a formal fundraising process on June 22.

good news everyone - our Syndicate-style corporate cyberpunk dystopia future is almost here

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
of course we got it mixed with the 1984 mass surveillance dystopian future too (moreso if you're in china but still)

wheeeeeee

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cold on a Cob posted:

of course we got it mixed with the 1984 mass surveillance dystopian future too (moreso if you're in china but still)

lol no people don't give any sort of gently caress in china

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

computer parts posted:

lol no people don't give any sort of gently caress in china

you mean there isn't government dictatorship and mass surveillance there? (i'm not being sarcastic i'm honestly asking)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cold on a Cob posted:

you mean there isn't government dictatorship and mass surveillance there? (i'm not being sarcastic i'm honestly asking)

most of their censorship is protectionism so they can get their own version of Facebook and the like up and running

when people are angry, they protest, and they usually get better results than protests in the US

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
like north korea is the only place even remotely close to a 1984 system and that's only because no one wants to deal with the mess of cleaning them up after they crumble

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
ok, yeah i tend to forget about some of the ways china has relaxed things a bit over the last 20 years, point taken

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
if i was running a government that the US considered a rival, i'd be paranoid as gently caress too

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

ok, yeah i tend to forget about some of the ways china has relaxed things a bit over the last 20 years, point taken

you can get blacklisted as a journo fairly easily by asking the wrong questions publicly

it's no picnic

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
maoism => mccarthyism?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

syscall girl posted:

you can get blacklisted as a journo fairly easily by asking the wrong questions publicly

it's no picnic

in the U.S. it's "why don't the Jews go back to where they came from"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

those water people are not good people. not good people at all.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

computer parts posted:

like north korea is the only place even remotely close to a 1984 system and that's only because no one wants to deal with the mess of cleaning them up after they crumble

there's a way to fix it without chaos, but it involves cloning kim il-sung

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

ur forgettin about london's massive surveillance system

you can walk all the way across it and be on cctv the entire time

the people on knifecrime island prolly need that tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ole stabshire-upon-sewages

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The English truly are the lowest, most vile race upon this cursed planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
IMAGINE a world like america but with less room, more surveillance, a shittier housing market and all the criminals have to run around with paring knives and bike chains being all pathetic

UK crime is on the threat level of a leather jacket doo wop group

• Locked thread