Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Waroduce posted:

any opinions on road redemption from the steam sale?

Ooh yes, any input? I also had my eye on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725177

:gifttank: Just a reminder that we have a Summer Gift Train on, so why not come take a ride! New people are always welcome!

:woop:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Morter posted:

Its a kickstarer game. I don't know if its been updated at all but it was fairly unpolished as you might expect when I last played it, but not horrible. For cheap I wouldn't recommend against it, to scratch that road rash itch.

I need a new gamepad. I got this Hori 360 pad (gempad ex or something) as the only thing I use a gamepad for is side scrollers and fighting games and we all know what a piece of absolute poo poo the official 360 dpad is. It still pales though compared to the holy grail, the PlayStation controller, which I use a couple of with some generic usb adapter that's hit or miss. I've had the Xbone controller up in my hands but haven't actually played anything, the dpad seems better but I dunno if its quite what I need. Suggestions?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Is the Shadow of Mordor GOTY upgrade worth it? Thinking about starting a new game since I upgraded my PC.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A random whore in Witcher 3 just started talking to me using Madonna's 'Material Girl' lyrics. GOTY

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Palpek posted:

A random whore in Witcher 3 just started talking to me using Madonna's 'Material Girl' lyrics. GOTY

Sorry but the horsepushups.gif has already qualified it for that award please submit under a new category.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

therealjon_ posted:

Is the Shadow of Mordor GOTY upgrade worth it? Thinking about starting a new game since I upgraded my PC.

I started playing all the DLC I picked up on sale a month ago. Each is unique, with one focusing on monster riding/baiting, and the other focusing on stealth/domination. I have really enjoyed both, and the only reason I haven't finished the Bright Lord achievements is because I picked up Dying Light around the same time.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

therealjon_ posted:

If you like running around and killing orcs it adds two new campaign modes. Both are pretty fun and give you different skills to work with.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

therealjon_ posted:

No.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Hey, you know what game I should have played a week ago when I bought it, instead of on my day off? The game narrated by Christopher Lee.

Shame he's dead.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

Shame he's dead.

Spoiler that poo poo!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

chrisoya posted:

SanctuaryRPG Black is in the next batch of unlocked sales. It's very good.

Counterpoint: it's a grindy game with permadeath and untelegraphed difficulty spikes. I fought trash battles for a couple hours, then got wiped by a boss suddenly far more powerful than anything before and promptly uninstalled. I wanted to like it, because it reminded me of old BBS games, but just couldn't find the fun.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
If anyone cares (probably not): My VAC ban was almost certainly because I was running HyperSLI on my computer briefly. A friend gave me his old GPU and I attempted to run them in SLI. I must have tried out TF2 at the time and the fact that I was running a modified version of Windows got me flagged. I'm going to mention it to Steam support but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
For what it's worth, :siren:Lost Planet 2 is 8 bucks:siren:.

Last time it was 8 bucks was at the beginning of the sale due to a pricing error, because that price lasted for only an hour. 8 dollars is the lowest it's ever been.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

Morter posted:

Last time it was 8 bucks was at the beginning of the sale due to a pricing error, because that price lasted for only an hour. 8 dollars is the lowest it's ever been.

Does the multiplayer still work on this? I thought GFWL was being shut down.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Last I heard, they are still up and running. Just slowly being migrated off. Also, gently caress yes. I knew holding off would eventually pay off!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ufarn posted:

You joke, but even that is not going to be enough. You need to play very guardedly, so charging would just get you killed. Wondering whether to just do it over with god mode, but not my idea of fun, so I'm probably going to wrap it up.
That's not a joke; that's the key to re-enabling GHOUL 2 and dismemberment.

Delusibeta posted:

The wireless adaptors will also be Windows 10 exclusive. Basically, if you want a wireless PC games controller, the DualShock 4 + any Bluetooth dongle + this program will be the way to go for the foreseeable. Both the DS4 and the Xbone controller will work with pretty much any USB A to micro B cable, though.
...and why wouldn't you get Windows 10?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 14, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Morter posted:

Lost Planet 3 is going down in price because of the monster game deal though, right?

I'm willing to risk waiting an hour.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Modus Pwnens posted:

Counterpoint: it's a grindy game with permadeath and untelegraphed difficulty spikes. I fought trash battles for a couple hours, then got wiped by a boss suddenly far more powerful than anything before and promptly uninstalled. I wanted to like it, because it reminded me of old BBS games, but just couldn't find the fun.

I kind of liked it from the little I played but it's one of those games where having permadeth seems like a confusing design decision. Like you have to got through all the "tutorial" stuff again and it's all the same and why would you want to do that multiple times? I probably would have finished it if I didn't have to start over, but now it's languishing in the "I'll get back to it" pile, which means I'll probably never get back to it.

It felt like there's enough there to have fun with multiple playthroughs without permadeath, but it's a thing because the devs want to make it more hardcore or longer or something.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 14, 2015

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Morter posted:

it's road rash, if you wanna race bikes while beating up enemy bikers and cops to upgrade your ride, then check it out

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Jeff Wiiver posted:

If anyone cares (probably not): My VAC ban was almost certainly because I was running HyperSLI on my computer briefly. A friend gave me his old GPU and I attempted to run them in SLI. I must have tried out TF2 at the time and the fact that I was running a modified version of Windows got me flagged. I'm going to mention it to Steam support but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

From a quick search it looks like HyperSLI is a hypervisor, which basically means it runs "above" Windows. There have been proof-of-concept malware hypervisors that can hide their presence from antivirus software under Windows, so I guess a hypothetical cheat system might do the same to hide from VAC. I don't know the details of how VAC works (as I understand, it's a closely guarded secret) but that seems like something that might freak it out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anyone know if other hypervisors such as virtualbox could be a danger?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I'd actually email someone directly at Valve with that, Gabe himself if you want to get crazy. As much as Valve likes their flat structure I'm still pretty sure Steam Support is just a farmed out complex.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Are you playing VAC-protected games inside a VirtualBox VM? Probably don't do that, it's a silly thing to do. I can't say it'll trigger VAC, since I'm still just guessing here, but also there's no reason to do that. Are you just running VirtualBox and also VAC games, both under Windows/Linux/Mac OS? You're fine. A hypervisor can't hide crap from other code running at the same level.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

VAC doesn't care about games running in a VM. If it did, there would have been tens of thousands of bans from that "unlock the play-on-Linux TF2 item" tool someone kludged together. To say nothing of all the sandboxed TF2 installs hat moguls used to idle items back in the day...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Someone gifting me in the gift train thread (drop by it if you haven't) mentioned that this thread had an in-depth post detailing the reasons why Westerado is not recommended. Now, I could read the thread page by page to find it... or I could ask you guys.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 14, 2015

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I'm a little confused, are today's unlocked deals the ones we played for yesterday? Or are those coming tomorrow? I swear this isn't the list from yesterday.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is the Alien Isolation DLC worth it?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Has anyone played Survivalist or know anything about it?

E: also which farcrys are worth it

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Xander77 posted:

Someone gifting me in the gift train thread (drop by it if you haven't) mentioned that this thread had an in-depth post detailing the reasons why Westerado is not recommended. Now, I could read the thread page by page to find it... or I could ask you guys.

i think theyre thinking of boot hill heroes

someone played that awhile ago and made a few effort posts about why they didnt like it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Awesome! posted:

Yeah I don't remember any particular bad words about Westerado.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

cheesetriangles posted:

Is the Alien Isolation DLC worth it?

Talking with Palpek and he suggested getting only Last Survivor and Crew Expendable, as they both recreate original Alien movie. The rest are just challenge maps.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Awesome! posted:

someone played that awhile ago and made a few effort posts about why they didnt like it
I think xander might have done that but I'll chip in and say while the ATB-style combat is kind of interesting, the game just ends as soon as you finally have your party together because it's supposed to be part 1 of a trilogy.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Awesome! posted:

That was...

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think xander might have done that
Yeah, that was me, actually. I was mostly hung up on the writing, though I also felt that there was WAY too much repetitive fetch questing and combat. Like take your average Earthbound fetch quest (did it even have any?) and your average screen full of enemies, and multiply both by three or so.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think xander might have done that but I'll chip in and say while the ATB-style combat is kind of interesting, the game just ends as soon as you finally have your party together because it's supposed to be part 1 of a trilogy.

Yeah that could have been more clear on the store page. As it is you have one segment with each party member and a boss for two of them, and then the climax has you all together for a couple bosses, and then a short post-game segment that sets up the next part. There is DLC that lets you use all of them from the start to extend that a bit though.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Is Endless Legend any good? It's on the deal of the day and it seems interesting, what could it be compared to?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Waroduce posted:

Has anyone played Survivalist or know anything about it?

E: also which farcrys are worth it

Survivalist is a weird janky little rpg about putting together a group of survivors and building a base. There's construction, zombies, choices/consequences, and some characters have traits like Diabetic (you need to find insulin to keep them from dying) and Lung Cancer (the more times they smoke cigarettes, the worse it'll get). It's not a bad little game for three bucks, but you kind of have to enjoy the genre (post-apoc/zombies). State of Decay is more expensive, but I would recommend that over Survivalist (SoD is more of an action game than an rpg, but they have a lot of similar elements).

Far Cry 2 and Blood Dragon are great. FC3 has good gunplay and wildlife stuff, but the story is dumb and I didn't like a lot of the changes they made from 2 (2 had a diegetic map, better fire effects, no crafting, and you couldn't completely empty an area of enemies to shoot by shooting other enemies). I think I'm in a minority favoring it over 3, though. I haven't played 4 yet; I hear it's like 3 but more and better.

Blood Dragon is easily the most fun, if you can dig the aesthetic (darkness and neon).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 14, 2015

radlum
May 13, 2013
Does Fallout 3 GOTY Edition ever go below 40%?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Diabetic posted:

Is Endless Legend any good? It's on the deal of the day and it seems interesting, what could it be compared to?

It's kind of a fantasy Civilization 5. It's solid. If you get that, also look into Dungeon of the Endless- it's a very different game but ties in. Really addictive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How long is it supposed to take Steam to refund me to my Steam wallet?

• Locked thread