Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

nigga crab pollock posted:

Yo relock your bootloader if you're selling your phone. its like one command line over ADB.

I bought a moto x off of ebay a few months ago and just got the notification to update to 5.1, so i did. then it gave me an ominous warning screen that my bootloader was unlocked and i thought it had bricked my phone cause the warning screen isn't responsive to user input

I never hosed with custom firmware cause ~it actually worked out of the box~ so i have no clue why the nerdlinger that had it before me did it

Swappa is better for used phones than Ebay imo. The only 3 smartphones I've ever owned were from there, and I've never had to worry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

kitten smoothie posted:

You can in a lot of cases because security wise it's important to be able to do so.

But I could have sworn that on the Moto X/G the ominous warning message appears for good even if you relock.

I think that's only on the carrier branded models, because unlocking your bootloader voids your warranty, even if you lock it again. I'm not really sure about the Pure edition since I haven't bothered to lock mine yet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mooktastical posted:

Swappa is better for used phones than Ebay imo. The only 3 smartphones I've ever owned were from there, and I've never had to worry about that.

Selling:

CL-Swappa-Ebay

Buying

Ebay->Swappa-CL

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Why is eBay better for buying than Swappa?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

The power button on my Nexus 5 broke. It would to get jammed and restart the device over and over. So a bought a TMobile LG G4 yesterday.

It's a good phone.

Also, anyone ever use AMEX extended warrenty? I filed a claim on the Nexus 5 and wondering how long it will take.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So my wife's Nexus 4 finally poo poo the bed yesterday. It used to be my old phone, until I accidentally let it die overnight without charging, and then it wouldn't come back on the next morning (red light of death). Google ended up sending me a refurbished Nexus 5 as a replacement, but for whatever reason never asked for the old phone back.

Now, my wife used to have a Galaxy S2 which was falling apart on her, but we couldn't afford to just drop $300+ on a new phone just yet. One day I pulled out the Nexus 4 and somehow managed to get it to turn back on, using the "plug in the charger while holding volume down + power to get the bootloader menu" trick. The battery was having trouble holding a charge for any decent length of time, so I ordered a new one and installed it for her. No problems after that.

A month later, she started telling me the phone was randomly turning off on her. The problem started getting worse where the phone would just shut off a few times a day for no discernible reason. Finally, a couple days ago, it turned off and wouldn't come back on. And now I can't get it back on even with the bootloader trick.

Does anyone have any ideas here? For starters, I wish I knew why the phone was shutting itself off so much. I had upgraded it to Lollipop for her but I didn't see any problems with the phone when I did that. My guess was she had installed some apps that were loving with the phone but she denies this outright.

Now I don't know if there's anything I can do to get the phone back on. This is what happens now:

- Unplug phone
- Hold volume down + power, wait 10+ seconds.
- Plug in phone
- After about 8-10 seconds, the red light starts flashing at a fairly quick rate.
- After 8-10 flashes, the rhythm of the flashing "resets" and I see a dimmer red light for one flash.
- If I release the buttons, the light turns off and never comes back unless I repeat the process.

I did clean and reseat the battery, if that helps.

As a last resort, I'm willing to just get her a new phone, but she doesn't want anything too fancy. Are there any decent phones for $200 or less that are either carrierless or work with T-Mobile?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

lamentable dustman posted:

The power button on my Nexus 5 broke. It would to get jammed and restart the device over and over. So a bought a TMobile LG G4 yesterday.

It's a good phone.

Also, anyone ever use AMEX extended warrenty? I filed a claim on the Nexus 5 and wondering how long it will take.

Did you sign up to get your freebies from LG?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Why the hell has my droid maxx started vibrating and giving toast notifications every time my WiFi status changes?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why is eBay better for buying than Swappa?

Because eBay sides with buyers 100% of the time. If there is one microscopically different thing about the item you bought vs. the listing, you are mega protected. Even if the item listing says "NO RETURNS - ALL SALES FINAL" all you have to do is open an item not described case or whatever and you will win. It's kind of sad, but good for buyers. Terrible for sellers.

I've stopped selling on eBay because of this. Buyers find the most cockamamie reason to open a case and sellers are at the mercy of a very pro-buyer eBay "jury" and the seller is just forced to accept a return and issue a refund, full stop.

Sure, buyers on Swappa can do the same via PayPal, but they don't have the backing of eBay's buyer protection policies.

I actually agree with Jerkface here.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

DizzyBum posted:

So my wife's Nexus 4 finally poo poo the bed yesterday. It used to be my old phone, until I accidentally let it die overnight without charging, and then it wouldn't come back on the next morning (red light of death). Google ended up sending me a refurbished Nexus 5 as a replacement, but for whatever reason never asked for the old phone back.

Now, my wife used to have a Galaxy S2 which was falling apart on her, but we couldn't afford to just drop $300+ on a new phone just yet. One day I pulled out the Nexus 4 and somehow managed to get it to turn back on, using the "plug in the charger while holding volume down + power to get the bootloader menu" trick. The battery was having trouble holding a charge for any decent length of time, so I ordered a new one and installed it for her. No problems after that.

A month later, she started telling me the phone was randomly turning off on her. The problem started getting worse where the phone would just shut off a few times a day for no discernible reason. Finally, a couple days ago, it turned off and wouldn't come back on. And now I can't get it back on even with the bootloader trick.

Does anyone have any ideas here? For starters, I wish I knew why the phone was shutting itself off so much. I had upgraded it to Lollipop for her but I didn't see any problems with the phone when I did that. My guess was she had installed some apps that were loving with the phone but she denies this outright.

Now I don't know if there's anything I can do to get the phone back on. This is what happens now:

- Unplug phone
- Hold volume down + power, wait 10+ seconds.
- Plug in phone
- After about 8-10 seconds, the red light starts flashing at a fairly quick rate.
- After 8-10 flashes, the rhythm of the flashing "resets" and I see a dimmer red light for one flash.
- If I release the buttons, the light turns off and never comes back unless I repeat the process.

I did clean and reseat the battery, if that helps.

As a last resort, I'm willing to just get her a new phone, but she doesn't want anything too fancy. Are there any decent phones for $200 or less that are either carrierless or work with T-Mobile?

i don't think you can install anything that would gently caress up a phone like that, even if it was rooted. maybe you shouldn't blame your wife for loving up a phone that was brought back to life, fixing broken phones is a crapshoot.

my guess is that the battery you bought was probably taken from a used phone and if so it likely has the exact same problems the old one did (especially if it was salvaged from another phone since it was probably sitting dead in someone's drawer for a while) and now can't hold a charge either

you can get a used moto x for around that price and it's a really good phone. Nice screen, small size, good battery life. Plus the manufacturer gimmicks are actually good, like really good. i actually unironically use the voice control all the time and the active notification display is such a great feature that i'll probably just buy another moto x when this thing breaks, no joke

E: what type of hosed up world do we live in that a 4.7 inch phone is now small. Jesus H Christ

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Hughmoris posted:

Did you sign up to get your freebies from LG?

Nope, thanks for the link.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lamentable dustman posted:

Nope, thanks for the link.

T-Mobile has a free 128 GB sd card too. I think both promos should stack, but I went for the T-Mobile one first in case they don't.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Is there an easy way to disable the proximity sensor on a Nexus 5? I recently cracked the screen in the upper-right corner, so now the phone thinks there's always a face held up to it and I have to reset the phone to end a call. It's a little annoying!

nigga crab pollock posted:

i don't think you can install anything that would gently caress up a phone like that, even if it was rooted. maybe you shouldn't blame your wife for loving up a phone that was brought back to life, fixing broken phones is a crapshoot.

my guess is that the battery you bought was probably taken from a used phone and if so it likely has the exact same problems the old one did (especially if it was salvaged from another phone since it was probably sitting dead in someone's drawer for a while) and now can't hold a charge either

you can get a used moto x for around that price and it's a really good phone. Nice screen, small size, good battery life. Plus the manufacturer gimmicks are actually good, like really good. i actually unironically use the voice control all the time and the active notification display is such a great feature that i'll probably just buy another moto x when this thing breaks, no joke

E: what type of hosed up world do we live in that a 4.7 inch phone is now small. Jesus H Christ

Yeah, I think you're right about the apps thing. And I didn't buy the battery second-hand, I ordered an OEM part off Etrade Supply. I just wish it would work again.

I'll look into the Moto X, though. Thanks!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hotsauce posted:

Because eBay sides with buyers 100% of the time. If there is one microscopically different thing about the item you bought vs. the listing, you are mega protected. Even if the item listing says "NO RETURNS - ALL SALES FINAL" all you have to do is open an item not described case or whatever and you will win. It's kind of sad, but good for buyers. Terrible for sellers.

I've stopped selling on eBay because of this. Buyers find the most cockamamie reason to open a case and sellers are at the mercy of a very pro-buyer eBay "jury" and the seller is just forced to accept a return and issue a refund, full stop.

Sure, buyers on Swappa can do the same via PayPal, but they don't have the backing of eBay's buyer protection policies.

I actually agree with Jerkface here.

That isn't the case and I've seen it not be the case thousands of times personally. I have my own reasons for despising eBay and PayPal but the idea that they just rubberstamp buyer complaints is a steaming load of poo poo and is 100% whiny sellers who think they can get away with claiming scuffs are still "like new."

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
What's a good android phone with a decent camera in the $300 price range?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

That isn't the case and I've seen it not be the case thousands of times personally. I have my own reasons for despising eBay and PayPal but the idea that they just rubberstamp buyer complaints is a steaming load of poo poo and is 100% whiny sellers who think they can get away with claiming scuffs are still "like new."

Cool. Fees then. They are outrageous. Whatever the case, I've stopped selling on eBay because idiot buyers have ruined me. YMMV.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

clockworkjoe posted:

What's a good android phone with a decent camera in the $300 price range?

Zenfone 2, Z3c with student discount, Lg G2/3. What network are you on, and exactly how decent of a camera would you like?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Cool. Fees then. They are outrageous. Whatever the case, I've stopped selling on eBay because idiot buyers have ruined me. YMMV.

The seller of my Z3C flat out lied about the waterproof flap staying secure. I figured he was lying when I bought it, and bought with the intention of opening a dispute for the cost of fixing it if the pressure sensor didn't read sealed.

The reason that I believe that buying on Swappa is better than Ebay is that their listing policy requires more specificity. This allows me to be the most pedantic douche on earth if the item isn't 100% as described. While I can still be a dick on Ebay, sellers have more wiggle room on there, which could conceivably mean that the chances of winning possible disputes isn't as good there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hotsauce posted:

Their internal labor practices and decisonmaking are lovely and they have a whole ossuary in their closet regarding their regulatory responsibilities, their fees were reasonable a while back when there wasn't a flock of viable alternatives for sellers, and they occupy a niche that has long since gone out of style. They're frantically trying to reinvent themselves and failing miserably because Amazon, CL, and Etsy are eating their lunch while mobile payment solutions are eliminating any other need for their existence. The complaint that the emptor need not caveat to the degree many lovely sellers would like always comes off like bitcoiners and serial entrepreneurs whining about chargebacks.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
EBay is better for buying because with Swappa you only actually are using PayPal's purchase protection. Swappa does not actually have any hand in conflict resolution. With eBay, if you pay with PayPal you get both eBay's buyer protection and PayPal's anyways. By that metric alone its better. Price on eBay vs Swappa is about the same.

Selling is best on CL clearly, but Swappa is better because there's fewer fees and the buyer doesn't have eBay's clearly buyer biased protection policy.

You may argue that eBay is better for sellers than buyers because of your one experience, but in general, but from a purchase protection POV, you are wrong.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

EBay is better for buying because with Swappa you only actually are using PayPal's purchase protection. Swappa does not actually have any hand in conflict resolution. With eBay, if you pay with PayPal you get both eBay's buyer protection and PayPal's anyways. By that metric alone its better. Price on eBay vs Swappa is about the same.

Selling is best on CL clearly, but Swappa is better because there's fewer fees and the buyer doesn't have eBay's clearly buyer biased protection policy.

You may argue that eBay is better for sellers than buyers because of your one experience, but in general, but from a purchase protection POV, you are wrong.

What does Ebay policy protect you from that PayPal policy doesn't?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Considering one won't honor a dispute if the other already has, that's kind of a hollow argument. You get one or the other, not both, and they're remarkably similar with the exception of paypal allowing complaints within 45 days rather than the 30 ebay allows.

e: holy :lol: paypal actually allows buyers six months to file a dispute. That's a change I didn't notice.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 14, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="446524507"]
Zenfone 2, Z3c with student discount, Lg G2/3. What network are you on, and exactly how decent of a camera would you like?

The z3c seems to be $477 with student discount. Am I missing something? On my phone so I didn't register.

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005
Apologies if this isn't the right thread for this; Haus of Tech Support rules says mobile stuff should go here and CoC didn't seem appropriate. I'm having a devil of a time tracking down the cause of a crash with a Gear VR app we are developing and hoping maybe someone here has seen this before.

We have the following phones:

Model: Samsung S6 Edge (Unlocked)
Settings: Everything is default other than the Oculus SDK stuff required for our app, and our app itself

Our app is a simple pre-rendered video of a 3D VR scene with some embedded video being rendered to textures within the scene. It requires no external communication of any kind. We have a team out in the field internationally so getting info on different tests they've tried is slow due to time zones, but so far we've determined that when WiFi is enabled, whether it's connected to an access point or not, the application works fine. When WiFi is disabled, the application crashes somewhere near the middle of the video. However, when Airplane mode is enabled, the application works fine. We are not able to replicate in house with any combination of enabled/disabled radios (wifi, cell, bluetooth, location) and/or airplane mode.

Our shop doesn't do any serious mobile stuff outside of the occasional salesforce B2B iOS applications, so Android dev is new to us. Google isn't turning up anything, but we're not even sure what the right questions are to ask. Anyone have any ideas? Or any diagnostic tools available that might help us isolate the problem? If there's not enough information I'll try to provide more if I can.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Why do I waste my time reading and posting on the Motorola Owners forum? It's XDA levels of terrible there.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I am in need of a new phone. I currently have a Moto G on TracFone. I would like a big screen and 4G LTE is usable now on select NVME, which includes TracFone.

I don't mind going old and used, but I would prefer something better than my Moto G. I would like to spend less than $200 and it needs to be usable with Verizon's network.[

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Sounds like the 2013 Moto X would fit the bill.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
For the benefit of anyone in the market for a higher-end phone at an excellent price, the OnePlus One 5.5" 64GB just had a $50 price cut to $299, here's the Anandtech review. I jumped on this deal and mine arrived on Saturday, so far I'm EXTREMELY happy with it. It's very fast, the screen is beautiful and the touchscreen responsive, and the enormous battery capacity is already apparent. Build quality and hand-feel is also excellent, I don't feel that I need a case to avoid dropping it like other phones. I'm using it on T-Mobile, and while it only supports their main LTE band I have had LTE service everywhere I went. I had seen some reports of touchscreen issues, though my model worked fine both out of the box and on a nightly CM12 build. The only minor complication was learning that after flashing recovery you need to hold volume down immediately when rebooting, if you don't it will boot normally and wipe the recovery you just loaded, and you'll have to flash it again.

This $50 discount is due to the upcoming OnePlus Two device, which will have dual-SIM support, a Snapdragon 810 CPU, and potentially support for more bands. To me that didn't really seem worth waiting for since Snapdragon 810 is generally regarded as a disappointment, though one of the biggest reasons for that is thermal issues and bigger devices tend to work well.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Does the CM bug preventing people from dialing emergency numbers affect the one plus one running Cyanogen OS too? Or is that just Cyanogen Mod?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Mogomra posted:

Does the CM bug preventing people from dialing emergency numbers affect the one plus one running Cyanogen OS too? Or is that just Cyanogen Mod?
I'm not aware of any CM bugs around emergency calling, just some device-specific issues (particularly on some Samsung phones) when using custom ROMs. I think many custom ROMs for devices that have issues are going to embed components to fix them that can't be integrated into the source tree due to licensing issues*, but YMMV on that. Thanks for reminding me to test 911 dialing when I can check with the cops.

*To clarify, my understanding is that on some devices you need a certain radio interface software component in order to make 911 calls. Licensing doesn't allow it to be included in the CyanogenMod packages, so CM can't be officially supported on those devices as 911 calling won't work. However, people building custom ROMs don't really care about licensing, so the ROMs you download from XDA-Developers will probably have the necessary fixes integrated and 911 calling WILL work. I don't think this is an issue on most devices.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 14, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Selling used phones: Craigslist
Buying used phones: lol, someone probably used it to jack off with, and you're sticking that against your face. Don't buy used phones.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So I've had the Galaxy S6 for two weeks now. About an hour ago the screen stopped rotating. I can't get it to flip horizontal. What gives?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So I've had the Galaxy S6 for two weeks now. About an hour ago the screen stopped rotating. I can't get it to flip horizontal. What gives?

Maybe you accidentally hit the rotation toggle while scrolling through all their other toggles.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Check the screen rotation toggle

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My wife has an S4 (for about 8 months now) and it's gone kind of crazy in the past few weeks. Her gallery doesn't load properly, photos either appear corrupted or not at all. Sometimes the numbers on her display are just dots, and now the phone is restarting itself periodically.

We took it to our carrier and they said it was something wrong with the lollipop update and all we could do is just wait for an update to fix it. That seems like a pretty lazy answer, so I'm wondering if there's anything else to be done or another explanation for the problems she's having.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I just upgraded from an S3 Mini to an S5 Mini, and am I to understand that because the S5 is on a more recent operating system, I can't write to my SD card anymore? ES File Explorer won't rename or delete files, Airdroid won't, I can't even transfer files to the card via Windows Explorer when it's connected via USB. Is there no way to fix this?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

T-Mobile has a free 128 GB sd card too. I think both promos should stack, but I went for the T-Mobile one first in case they don't.

It does stack. I got both my confirmation emails the other day saying they were shipping. Also liking the G4 so far. Battery life could be better but I was spoiled with the Z3. Camera is nice, phone runs smooth, and I like the smart features where it turns my wifi off when I'm not home and on when I am. I bought the Lg circle case which I really like and adds some nice functionality to it as well.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So when did moto voice on the turbo just go to poo poo? I tell it to set a reminder and half the time it will set an alarm. I tell it a specific time and it sets "morning" or "evening" and then never goes off. The only thing it gets right is the memo name, half the time. The other half the time it google searches "set a reminder for whatever."

I hadn't used the feature in a while and i tried to set a reminder while driving and got a loving alarm later on, which prompted me to test it some and come to the conclusion its almost completely hosed, for reminders at least.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

So when did moto voice on the turbo just go to poo poo? I tell it to set a reminder and half the time it will set an alarm. I tell it a specific time and it sets "morning" or "evening" and then never goes off. The only thing it gets right is the memo name, half the time. The other half the time it google searches "set a reminder for whatever."

I hadn't used the feature in a while and i tried to set a reminder while driving and got a loving alarm later on, which prompted me to test it some and come to the conclusion its almost completely hosed, for reminders at least.

Is it hearing you correctly and just not processing it correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

kitten smoothie posted:

I like my updates to receive extensive testing, unlike this nearly 2-week old issue in Cyanogen that keeps you from being able to dial 911

But daily driver! :v:

Man, I used to be one of those weirdos who would try whatever flavor of the month ROM is on XDA. Never again.