Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Sir Lucius posted:

I think the one on Meade used to be open 24/7, but I've been there at 3 am before and they've been closed. I've also been there at 1 am before buying Jack Daniels, so who knows. My favorite is getting off work after a night shift, and while everyone else is getting coffee or whatever I'm buying a 12 pack of beer.

When I got picked up at the airport, my sponsor told me "We lost our loving golf course. We used to kill a handle and a bucket at 7am. Now that's gone, welcome to Ft Meade."

Mad Dragon posted:

In the history of dumb laws in this gay state, that's pretty low on the list.

Tell me more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Commoners posted:

DID SOMEONE SAY COASTAL RIVERINE SQUADRON????

It's gonna be my first and only command in a six year contract. I made a post in another Navy thread about it.

If you go to a reserve one you'll be with a bunch of exhausted, hateful people.

that's where i'm going brother, in sandy eggo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just visited New Orleans. Spent most of a day at museums and yeah they hilariously in denial on how awful they were during antebellum times. State rights! Woo! Freedom!

Just not for darkies duh.

WW2 museum was pretty cool but not on heavy on the artifacts as Pensacola navy flight museum. I'd say a great place for starters.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Idk man, I know an HT reservist that brews beers for a living and he says the riverines he's stationed with are hella chill. They all go to his brewery during the week and they get smashed.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Pandasmores posted:

Idk man, I know an HT reservist that brews beers for a living and he says the riverines he's stationed with are hella chill. They all go to his brewery during the week and they get smashed.

im starting to feel, like all of the navy, there are places with large concentrations of douches and also sometimes there isn't. flip a coin and hope you get the good one basically.
it's worth it to me to go for riverines just for the training and Ground intel NEC

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Just visited New Orleans. Spent most of a day at museums and yeah they hilariously in denial on how awful they were during antebellum times. State rights! Woo! Freedom!

WW2 museum was pretty cool but not on heavy on the artifacts as Pensacola navy flight museum. I'd say a great place for starters.

Octaroon balls were super hosed up. Legally if all your grandparents were white you were white. The children of Octaroons and a white mother/father would therefore be "white" so all the rich old dudes in the surrounding area would have these little get together to solicit mistresses. In exchange their children would be provided for and educated.

My middle school history teacher emphasized that the civil war was about states rights about two dozen times during the week we learned about it.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

im starting to feel, like all of the navy, there are places with large concentrations of douches and also sometimes there isn't. flip a coin and hope you get the good one basically.
it's worth it to me to go for riverines just for the training and Ground intel NEC

It seems like an excellent opportunity dependent on how you grab it. I had an excellent instructor in A school who had spent most of his career jumping around with riverines and Marines, most of what he taught with CBRNE and stuff he picked up with them that he passed down to us just in case we ended up with them was awesome. Data dumped most of it because I'll never see that side of the Navy, but he gave it an overall positive picture even for the commands he found to be full of idiots.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

On your way back, you should take I-10 across. Do something in Houston and San Antonio, whatever, but then go to Fredericksburg to the National Museum of the Pacific War. That place is awesome and a good amount of German places to eat at too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

On your way back, you should take I-10 across. Do something in Houston and San Antonio, whatever, but then go to Fredericksburg to the National Museum of the Pacific War. That place is awesome and a good amount of German places to eat at too.

I'm already in San Antonio. I wish I could have stopped in Fred but I spent all my extra time in New Orleans and because of dumb navy admin poo poo they wouldn't ok my leave request for extra travel days.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

squarerandom posted:

Tell me more!
It's a great state if you hate owning guns and love being taxed on the rain.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm already in San Antonio. I wish I could have stopped in Fred but I spent all my extra time in New Orleans and because of dumb navy admin poo poo they wouldn't ok my leave request for extra travel days.

If you happen to drive through El Paso on a Wednesday there's a restaurant off the I-10 that's called Barrigas. They have live Mariachi bands. There's also a massive mall on post at Ft Bliss.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I've been in MS for a couple months and am now convinced the only people who don't want to burn the South to the ground are people who haven't been here. Also Southerners, but they're not real people.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Dat fried catfish tho

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Howard Phillips posted:

Dat fried catfish tho

dat etoufee
dat gumbo
cornbread
poboys
collard greens
New Orleans brass bands
Mark Twain
uhhhhh
Tabasco
Gospel music
Johnny Cash
fried pickles

but OK, no one would miss anything in the Mississipi-Florida corridor

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't care how stereotypical I am, cornbread is the best thing. I also support the purging of the states south of Tennessee.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
How about we just keep the people who left the south and fled northward. They can keep cooking that stuff outside of the shithole area.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Anita Dickinme posted:

I also support the purging of the states south of Tennessee.

It would fix a lot of the issues with PERS.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Null Integer posted:

It would fix a lot of the issues with PERS.

I'm pretty sure that's how Fallout started.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

2500 mile drive done. Feel like a stranger and it was only 8 months. Props to you guys doing actual multi year contracts with family.

Time to clean before some random chief walks in and starts yelling.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Lol

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
The CNO was here like three weeks ago and this one CTR kid just wouldn't stop asking him about when the Navy's going to strap railguns to the littorals.

"BUT DOES IT HAVE THE NECESSARY POWER GENERATION TO HANDLE A RAILGUN PROJECTILE??"

"Yes."

Also, we were all issued command ballcaps for wear in our NWUs last week. I give it two months before the triad hates how not everyone looks uniform in NWUs (most people think the ballcaps are gay as gently caress) and orders us one way or the other.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 15, 2015

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
ball caps are cool

also missed a good opportunity to ask the CNO when we are getting beards back

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

also missed a good opportunity to ask the CNO when we are getting beards back

When did the dependapotamus's leave?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Ballcaps in Khaki's are awesome and I wish they would allow that :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Boon posted:

Ballcaps in Khaki's are awesome and I wish they would allow that :colbert:

Wash khakis were the loving best.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

It's a great state if you hate owning guns and love being taxed on the rain.
Hogan got rid of the rain tax. I'm not holding my breath on the Firearm Safety :rolleyes: Act going away.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yes, firearm safety at all time high
*gets shot on 295*

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

that's where i'm going brother, in sandy eggo.

Someone at the nosc asked me if I would be interested in playing river pirate. No idea if that's better or worse than any other unit.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LingcodKilla posted:

Someone at the nosc asked me if I would be interested in playing river pirate. No idea if that's better or worse than any other unit.

Well? Don't leave us hanging...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Boon posted:

Well? Don't leave us hanging...

They left me hanging! Someone mentioned the Riverine unit may need an IT would I be interested. Took my number and that's all.
The Petty officer mentioned there was at least one intelligence unit that's fairly active with mobilization so maybe I'll get lucky with that. Reality is I'll probably get stuck with a base janitor unit. Those cig butts don't police themselves.
Otherwise boring day. On active duty pay until the 1rst and don't even muster until the 11th. Time to start looking for a real job and hope to god my stupid TS finally clears.

Anyone need printer maintenance guy with a secret clearance?
Anyone?
Dang.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

They left me hanging! Someone mentioned the Riverine unit may need an IT would I be interested. Took my number and that's all.
The Petty officer mentioned there was at least one intelligence unit that's fairly active with mobilization so maybe I'll get lucky with that. Reality is I'll probably get stuck with a base janitor unit. Those cig butts don't police themselves.
Otherwise boring day. On active duty pay until the 1rst and don't even muster until the 11th. Time to start looking for a real job and hope to god my stupid TS finally clears.

Anyone?
Dang.

have you been on CMS-ID yet?

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

LingcodKilla posted:

Anyone?
Dang.

I've already told Nwabudike about the poo poo show that is CORIVRON. Don't drink the koolaid and steer clear, you are standing in to danger. Even worse as a reservist. ITs work on radios and do about jack diddly squat with NETC or any of the other computer poo poo. A lot of complaints from their side of the house on deployments when they were standing a mount in full kit rather than sitting in the AC when the ETs took over saying "lol radio is our domain".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

have you been on CMS-ID yet?

No my paperwork is only about half done yet and I'm not committed to anything. It's just idle chatter as far as can see. Honestly I don't know what to expect from any unit and kinda surprised if I even really get a choice who I muster with.

Wasn't expecting shots though. Owe.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
yeah, the only reason i'm gonna go for riverines is because they're sending IS' to Ground school sooo

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

yeah, the only reason i'm gonna go for riverines is because they're sending IS' to Ground school sooo

What is ground school?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
I saw some ISs last week at medical. I didn't even know we had them at my command because I never see them.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

What is ground school?

Ground intel NEC, its for like tactical intel and poo poo. you have to have the Ground NEC if you want to go HUMINT so i'm gonna hop on that opportunity. dunno what they'd offer ITs though

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

Ground intel NEC, its for like tactical intel and poo poo. you have to have the Ground NEC if you want to go HUMINT so i'm gonna hop on that opportunity. dunno what they'd offer ITs though

Neato thanks

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

LingcodKilla posted:

Anyone?
Dang.

Come to FIOC Maryland, where everyday is a new paradise. I need a drinking buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

squarerandom posted:

Come to FIOC Maryland, where everyday is a new paradise. I need a drinking buddy.

Depends. Is there lots of cigarette butts to pick up? I don't like hunting for trash to fill up my bag.

Honestly I'm considering moving to Washington Seattle area due to cost of living. Bay Area CA is having another housing spike. House next to mine is selling for 650k and it's a smaller foot plan and lot.

• Locked thread